• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who set their alarm clock one hour before actually waking up.

Synless

I sleep in a literal coma. I have to set my alarm almost an hour ahead of time because I don't consciously even wake up to the alarms until at least around the 3rd or 4th alarm. I've slept through all of them before and not once recall for a second shutting the alarms off or hear them.

GonzoCR

I have to wake up at 5:30 if I don't want to rush through the morning (I have classes at 7:30 from Monday to Friday and it's a 35 minute or so commute) and usually go to sleep at 1:00 am or so because I'm studying or browsing GAF, so that's me. I'm not even that much of a heavy sleeper and usually wake up naturally five minutes or so before that, but I still have like 4 alarms mostly out of habit at this point.

Doc_Drop

Seriously, if you have time to lay in bed for an hour after your alarm goes off, you have time to just go to bed an hour earlier.
Not if you're a night owl, if you catch my drift.

My mind is far more active in the later hours than say when I get home from work between 5 and 8pm.

kamakazi5

My wife does this but it's only annoying if I'm awake. When I'm asleep my body somehow knows to ignore it or I wake up just enough to kick her gently so she wakes up and turns it off. I'm able to get right back to sleep even if it keeps happening.

I set my alarm 20-40min before I actually have to get up. But sometimes even an hour or even more eariler. That's just how I like it. Getting up once the alarm actually rings for the first time doesn't work for me anymore unless I have a really important appointment that day.

It takes me a long time to fall asleep. A very long time. Me setting 100 alarms is because my body wants to keep me asleep since it took me so long to.

it sucks tbh. I feel like I'm never awake until the afternoon

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
What the deal with them ? Why do something like that. It's like infliging to oneself the painful process of waking up and sleeping up every 5 minutes.

ENLIGHT ME

edit: also, provide solutions for living an healthy life around such monsters.

One med make my sleep less restful and harder to wake up, the other takes almost an hour to kick in after I take it. I often don't feel like I have the energy to wake up when my first alarm starts up. Insomnia doesn't help with the situation any. There you go.

I have 2 alarms set 40 and 20 minutes before the alarm where I actually need to get up. Just so I can go back to sleep twice before actually having to get out of bed.

Kuntz

I'm also one of those people because while waking up multiple times in the early morning I can have 4 or 5 dreams in rapid succession and dreams are awesome and cool and weird and shit and I'm remembering most of them. I want to write them all down when I get the chance, onirology is fun.

Theodran

My wife does this. Her alarm starts before 7:00 am, she's never up until 7:40.

I'm up when her alarm start blaring. My alarm doesn't start going off until 7:30, and I'm usually up between 7:50 and 8:00, depending on the day.

I hate it and I've told her multiple times to not do it. But it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks... maybe one day.

Rymuth

Pish, try one and half hour with multiple back up alarms.

Waking me up is like rousing an ancient beast from deep sleep

I sleep in a literal coma. I have to set my alarm almost an hour ahead of time because I don't consciously even wake up to the alarms until at least around the 3rd or 4th alarm. I've slept through all of them before and not once recall for a second shutting the alarms off or hear them.

This literally happened to me.

WhatNXt

I listened to this podcast recently which features an interview with Hal Elrod, author of the Miracle Morning books:
https://www.smartpassiveincome.com/podcasts/productivity-early-morning-routine/

In it, he points out - most people get up and get out of bed because they HAVE to, WHEN they have to. People go to bed setting their alarms thinking "shit I'm in work in 7 hours" and when they wake up they think "shit I've got to get ready for work now" and just repeatedly hit the snooze button.

His whole argument is that we're setting ourselves up wrong... Setting our mornings up for failure. Starting our day in a negative way that affects our entire day and every day after that. He's basically saying that if we get up earlier for ourselves and the things we care about and WANT to do, we'll find it easier and be more productive. He describes a situation in which you start waking up early because you're like a kid on Christmas day, every day.

I'm very much a night owl so I haven't tried to do what he's talking about but I can see the logic in it. I try to do the things I'm interested in of an evening because that's when I feel I can, but all too often I'm tired after work or put off after sitting at a computer all day.

Worth a listen. Cool story.

Adaren

I can't know how great sleep feels unless I'm at least a little awake.

That's why I like the half-awake state between my alarms going off.

What the deal with them ? Why do something like that. It's like infliging to oneself the painful process of waking up and sleeping up every 5 minutes.

ENLIGHT ME

edit: also, provide solutions for living an healthy life around such monsters.

i set it like 1 hour before actual need to wake up and have a 10 min interval rotation..
BUT, truth be told, i usually don't need it, as i wake naturally just before the alarm goes off most of the days and then just go through some tv series early in the morning before showering..

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
It helps me wake up and get out of bed after the second alarm goes off.

Also I don't have dreams when I sleep but when I fall asleep after the first alarm and before the second one goes off, I have a dream that I can recount almost every time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If you are one of these people who set the alarm for every 5-15 minutes and have a partner, you're evil. I don't care if you're tired, have a special technique in order to wake up more comfy, you're fucking evil.

I hated my roommate and my ex for this.

Fuck them both.

this just in, not everbody can just wake up instantly and easily when they need to!

[i'm one of these people]

sorry, but i've never been a good sleeper [it's related to my ADHD], so i HAVE to set an early alarm so i can snooze through an hour and finally get to it.

don't hate OP, just how some of us are.

[you know, different brains?]

edit: reading through more of the replies in this thread is seriously depressing.

like c'mon GAF, sleeping is entirely related to brain chemistry / psychology, everyone's differs, and so everyone sleeps differently.

Doc_Drop

Lol, it's evil to have multiple alarms now.

I hope you don't plan on having kids as they are gonna be about a million times worse

I used to use a radio alarm, so I could have the pleasure of dozing lightly while hearing the BBC morning news. Sometimes I would go into a dream state and experience what I call "accidental television" where my dreaming mind would try to provide visuals to match the news commentary. Yes, Brian Redhead and James Naughtie would literally haunt my dreams.

I really enjoy lying in bed half awake. It's the best way to start the day.

Some of us need a "warning" alarm. Knowing that I have another 30 minutes or so before I can really wake up makes all the difference.

On the few days where I get to sleep in, I'll set my alarm for 6am just so that I can wake up and relish in going back to sleep again. Best feeling ever.

Doc_Drop

I would even say for those waking up and getting out of bed immediately, try setting the alarm a little earlier and try out the slower approach. I used to get up straight away but I find my disposition is better in the mornings since changing

I don't use an alarm clock but I have similar little foibles with time and waking up. I'm not really a morning person - as in 'get up and go' - so I do like to be awake for a while before I get ready for the day. Easing myself in to consciousness rather than up and at 'em like a short sharp shock.

It's all psychological I think, if I don't have something to do or at a weekend, I love waking up early and seeing the dawn and getting things done - it's when you HAVE to get up that's the problem!

blackjaw

My wife's alarm has been going on/off for the past hour and a half...sitting here drinking coffee wondering when she will actually wake

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
My alarm is set from 5am with 10min snooze. After the second snooze I read my phone for 10mins then get up. This happens every work say.

I don't know which setting it is on my S7 but the alarm goes "It's 5:15" and will beep and boop for a bit, then it's like "It's 5:20" and it'll do this for ages. I kind of really enjoy hearing the time being announced for some time and then when it's like "It's 6:10" I panic and run around the house to get ready. But I really like that announcement all morning.

Reani

i have 2 alarms on my phone.
one is set at 7:10. its when i am supposed to become semi-aware, i hit "delay for 10 minutes" and go sleeping again.
at 7:20 it rings again and i have to wake up. i actually feel better waking up second time.
if i dont wake up at 7:20 or accidently completely disable first alarm, my secondary alarm rings at 7:25, waking me up for sure.

fail-proof system, never failed me since school.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have a radio alarm clock. I'm waking up and listening to the news at the same time.

That and sometimes I don't wake up instantly at the first sound of the alarm, so a constant "noise" going on for 45 minutes ensures I'll eventually cotton on.

That and I actually use the silence at the end as a second alarm. The moment the alarm turns off I know I shouldn't just be awake, but also out of bed/off the computer and doing my morning preparations.

HeySeuss

I always instinctually wake up about 5 minutes before my alarm goes off no matter when I need to wake up. And I'm not a morning person at all so it takes me a bit to come out of the morning fog as I'm moving around. Not being a morning person is just an excuse.

i have 2 alarms on my phone.
one is set at 7:10. its when i am supposed to become semi-aware, i hit "delay for 10 minutes" and go sleeping again.
at 7:20 it rings again and i have to wake up. i actually feel better waking up second time.
if i dont wake up at 7:20 or accidently completely disable first alarm, my secondary alarm rings at 7:25, waking me up for sure.

fail-proof system, never failed me since school.

I do something like but I set em 30 min gap between the two alarms. Its like having a nap and makes me feels less groggy and more energetic instead of the single alarm and waking up more groggy and dead.

I have alarms at 6:30, 7:00 and 7:25 so I can decide how long I want to look at the internet on my phone in bed for, or if I want a little more sleep.

Then I get up at around 7:45.

do you guys ever have dreams that you're sleeping through your alarms?

Once I woke up with a start from a vivid dream about getting up and going to work. I'd somehow slept through the alarm and so I had to rush out of the house late for work.

It was an utterly exhausting morning, compounded by the feeling that I had already been through it once already.

Then I woke up for real, and the alarm hadn't even gone off. A dream within a dream. I went back to sleep, woke up at the alarm, it was fine and I had a great day.

spuckthew

I do not understand this. I get snoozing like once or whatever, but I know people who snooze for the alarm to go off 5 minutes later to just hit snooze again.... this goes on for that hour you were talking about.

My girlfriend is the worst for this (we live together) and it's really fucking annoying. Sadly she's just not a morning person, whereas I can will myself to get out of bed instantaneously if I need to.

Was at a youth hostel in London with my SO... The other guy in our room had an alarm at 6AM, and kept hitting snooze until 9 or later.
That's right, 3 FUCKING HOURS OF HEARING THOSE BLOODY BELLS EVERY TEN MINUTES.
No wonder our other roommate left at 6AM, at first we were wondering what she was doing...
After the third night we complained to management and they moved us elsewhere and issued a ultimatum to the guy, apparently he had been there for the last month and a half :eek:

In the new room we had a funny incident with a pair of hookers knocking on our door for an hour, asking for our roommate "Emmanuel" and somebody next room telling them to go away, but it was calm apart from that.

Top Bottom