• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who set their alarm clock one hour before actually waking up.

This is something I'll never understand. I set the alarm for when I want to get up and then I instantly get out of bed when it goes off.

Okay, now imagine you're someone who physically, mentally, and emotionally has a harder time doing that than you. What happens when they silence their one alarm and then go back to sleep?

UrokeJoe

Fuck jumping out of bed. I like to take it slow. I usually go in at 4:00am.

Edit. I set it for 3:00am and snooze it three times, then get up, shower and shit, and I am out the door at 3:50, and at work by 4:00am.

valeo

I find if I wake up straight away after my alarm goes off, I feel much better throughout the day compared to if I keep sleeping and snoozing the alarm. Anyone else?

Nicolada

Mmn I set mine for 15 minutes before I wake up, one for every 5 minutes til then. Sometimes I stay up on the first or second alarm. I haven't always done that, it's because I often start work while it's still dark and while I've become something of a morning person I still hate the actual process of waking up at that hour lol.

Brannon

I do not understand this. I get snoozing like once or whatever, but I know people who snooze for the alarm to go off 5 minutes later to just hit snooze again.... this goes on for that hour you were talking about.

I don't get how this helps, but also, is probably really annoying for anyone around you. Right? Like no one likes hearing an alarm go off every 5 minutes, be it a soulmate, roomate, sibling, etc... right?

I understand it somewhat. It's not that they want to sleep more, it's that they want that feeling of GOING to sleep. That moment when the REM comes right as you close your eyes but you're juuuust awake enough to feel it and experience the drops of dreams coming your way. For a few seconds, that is the best feeling before you black out into true sleep, only to be blasted awake by the alarm once again.

You could wake up and begin your day. You could be responsible and do that.

But.

But if you hit that bar.

Hit it just one more time...

x6jAkLc.gif

5 more minutes...

trixx

Did this once it was one wild ride where I felt too comfy in bed.

Usually I'm up before the clock of I'm tired then I use the snooze once.

mikeGFG

Banned
I upon moving in together, I learned my girlfriend does this.

Every morning is a personal nightmare more nightmarish than the last.

Mortemis

Banned
I used to do this since I'm a really heavy sleeper. Sometimes the first two alarms aren't enough and I'll sleep through it.

Later on I just tried harder to have a natural sleep cycle so that I can wake up without an alarm clock, as well as not have anything to do really early in the morning. I only really need 6 hours usually so if I can fall asleep around midnight I can be up around 6am-7am without an alarm or just one.

Khrno

I used to set it 1 hour before I had to get up, but my girlfriend hated that, so now I only set it 10 minutes before I have to get up, since I still need, mentally, those extra minutes to stay in bed, and that was a compromise I made with her, so she doesn't mind that much now.

zethren

Banned
I set three alarms, 15 minutes apart from each other, for M-F work days.

In between each of those three alarms, I snooze them all. So really I've got like...15 alarms...

...fucking help me...

I quickly fall asleep like a rock but takes forever for me to wake up and stay awake.

I have four alarms across two devices. It has been getting a bit better since I've been going to bed earlier for a few weeks now.

HariKari

Okay, now imagine you're someone who physically, mentally, and emotionally has a harder time doing that than you. What happens when they silence their one alarm and then go back to sleep?

It isn't really doing anything for them to go back to bed. You'll feel better if you just immediately get up.

I usually have a hard time waking up, and can easily wake up enough to turn off the alarm and then go back to sleep. If I absolutely must get up at a certain time, I'll set off alarms every 15 min for an hour leading up to that time.

UltraMav

I never did this until I started drinking every night. Now I engage in an epic battle with my alarm clock every morning for at least half an hour.

DOWN

Banned
If my wake up time isn’t urgent for work or something, I have to do the many alarms thing. If I’m getting up for work, I give myself 2-3 alarms and I’ll be up because there’s a real deadline and my brain knows it

I do this. The main reason is that there is almost no better feeling in the world than waking up on a work day and realizing you can go back to sleep.

kubev

I prefer to have two full hours to get ready for work. If I have to be at work by 8 a.m., then I'll set alarms as follows:

6:00 a.m.
6:05 a.m.
6:10 a.m.
6:15 a.m.
6:30 a.m.

Ideally, I'll get out of bed immediately after the first alarm. If I don't, however, then the next three alarms are there to keep me from going back to sleep and staying asleep. If I make it to the 6:15 a.m. alarm and still don't feel like getting up, then I just accept the fact that I could use at least a bit more sleep, which is why I have the next one go off fifteen minutes later. It probably sounds dumb, but I've never slept in while using this system, unless the power went out.

I do not understand this. I get snoozing like once or whatever, but I know people who snooze for the alarm to go off 5 minutes later to just hit snooze again.... this goes on for that hour you were talking about.

I don't get how this helps, but also, is probably really annoying for anyone around you. Right? Like no one likes hearing an alarm go off every 5 minutes, be it a soulmate, roomate, sibling, etc... right?
My wife hates this one weird trick

I do this, and have for like 20 years. The idea when I started doing it was simple, instead of waking up and being like SHIT I have to work! I wake up and I'm like... ahhh yiss 1 more hour baby!

Then when I wake up an hour later, I feel like I got the upper hand on the wake up ferry.

zethren

Banned
It isn't really doing anything for them to go back to bed. You'll feel better if you just immediately get up.

Logically you are correct. But I am not thinking logically in those moments. In those moments all I care about, ALL I CARE ABOUT, above all else, is going back to sleep. For however little amount of time I can.

It sucks.

ZOONAMI

Usually it's people like myself who suck ass at waking up. I'm an extremely deep sleeper and it literally takes me 2-3 hours to feel awake after waking up. Even with exercise and coffee.

Sulik2

I sleep incredibly deeply. My two alarms take 15 minutes to even wake me up then it takes a good hour to even be awake enough to get out of bed and I still will fall asleep standing in the shower or brushing my teeth sometimes. Waking up isn't easy for some of us.

LOLCats

Banned
Yep i snooze 30 to 40 minutes every morning. Its just what i like, i love those ten minutes between snoozes its like "oh good back to sleep, just ten minutes more". Its a good feeling.

jonno394

5.00am
5.30am
5.45am

I hate it when i have to get out of bed straight away, i can do it, but i hate it.

I love being able to lie in bed and just enjoy the sensation of being in bed, hence why i wake up early and just enjoy the time before getting up before work.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I have honest to god never required the use of an alarm clock. As long as I have a clock beside my bed (or my phone these days) I can wake up whenever I need to.

If I get hammered or something the night before then this sometimes doesn't work, obviously, but if I go to bed sober I can just wake up at the right time without an alarm.

Even if getting up is hard for you, you're losing a full hour of sleep just so waking up is a little less challenging. You're going to be more exhausted through the day.

I get that waking up is completely miserable and the water cooler talks don't do justice to how hallowing it is, but you'd be doing no favors to yourself prolonging your wake up process for that long.

Placktor

I set an alarm about 3 hours before I have to wake up. Then every half hour after that until its time to actually wake up. I love hearing the alarm and then realizing i still have hours left to sleep.

StoneFox

I set my clock for one hour before I have to wake up, wake up to the alarm, reset the alarm for an hour later and go back to sleep.

It's so I can lucid dream.

UberLevi

I do this because I have no self control and won't get up in the morning unless I force myself to experience a series of alarms leading up to my intended wakeup time.

It's kind of like a multi-stage rocket gradually shedding parts of itself to accelerate into orbit.

You know when you wake up by accident in the middle of the night, think you have to get up for work soon, then realize you have hours left to sleep?

You know how great that moment is?

It's like that. It's that feeling every day.

I usually have no problem getting out of bed for work. When the alarm rings I usually get up within 2-3 mins of turning it off. Occasionally if I get about 4 hours of sleep and have to be up for like 8 AM i'll stay in bed an extra 10-15 mins after it rings.

Lucreto

I have two alarms.

One goes off at 5.45am and another on a table on the other side of the room at 6am which is louder. That one is just in case I oversleep.

I can sleep through an hour of an alarm without ever hearing it. I have dual alarm settings, and I set them both. Second one is offset 36 minutes from the first. They'll automatically deactivate 60 minutes after beginning, so this gives me 96 minutes to (a) hear it at least once and (b) hit snooze a couple of times hopefully.

Back in my highschool days i'd set it to an hour ahead and then every 10 minutes until it was time to go.

Personally it was a good amount of time to continue resting and relaxing but not enough to get in a deep sleep which
1. You still get up groggy/tired from.
2. You feel like you instantly woke up after immediately going to sleep.

DiscoJer

Even if getting up is hard for you, you're losing a full hour of sleep just so waking up is a little less challenging. You're going to be more exhausted through the day.

I get that waking up is completely miserable and the water cooler talks don't do justice to how hallowing it is, but you'd be doing no favors to yourself prolonging your wake up process for that long.

Except you aren't prolonging it. You are just shifting it. Instead of spending an miserable hour standing on your feet groggy and muddy headed, you are spending that hour in bed relaxing. in and out of sleep which helps the transition from sleep to being awake.

It's like instead of jumping into hot springs (or icy water), you immerse yourself in warm (or cold) water first, so it's not so much of a shock.

Doc_Drop

So you can get 30 minutes of "lying in the bed but not really sleeping because you need to get up for work but you're still tired and bed is comfortable" time without fucking over yourself.
Basically.

For me 6am first alarm, snooze the alarm for 15mins where I essentially pass out again, snooze again at quarter past but no I'm actually setting my body in motion to get up, by half past I'm about ready to get out of bed and I need to be in the shower by quarter to

Kremzeek

Getting out of bed is a process- I need to S-l-o-w-l-y wake up over the course of like 30 minutes, otherwise I am prone to getting a headache it seems.

Also I think part of it is denial so that when I hit snooze a little part of me is fantasizing that I don't really need to get up and can actually sleep for another 2 hours mmmmmmm :)

Top Bottom