• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity:Complete Edition|OT| The perfect chance to revisit Raedric's Hold

Anno

By the way, what's with the OT name? I've heard of Raedric by the now, is it a meme?

Bit of an old post but you should have a quest to go visit him by now if you're all the way to Caed Nua. I think the quest name is Lord of a Barren Land.

Staf

Bit of an old post but you should have a quest to go visit him by now if you're all the way to Caed Nua. I think the quest name is Lord of a Barren Land.

I was at the gate but the guards were very hostile. At the time i only had a party of 3 and i figured i would be able to enter it later, either diplomatically or force with more companions. I'm heading there now though with my new bard and tank!

Staf

Well that was a bust lol... Quickly got surrounded and they ignored my tank. I'm going back to town to do buy some gear from the smithy.

Anno

Well that was a bust lol... Quickly got surrounded and they ignored my tank. I'm going back to town to do buy some gear from the smithy.

There are a couple of other ways into the keep if you don't want to just rush the guards.

Altazor

Sounds good. So is the player always in control of every party member during fights, or can you leave your squad-mates to do their own thing for a while and then jump back in if you want to order one of them to use a certain power/cast a specific spell? Again, like in DA:O or ME?

Edit: Ignore this question, it's just been answered! Thanks for the info!

as an added point: while there's companion AI so you don't have to constantly manage every member of your party (a feature the game didn't have at first, it was patched later), I think it's recommended that you do micromanage when encounters start to ramp up in difficulty. It's one thing to let the AI take care of trash mobs, but when you fight bosses it's far better to worry about every possible detail yourself and use companion AI more as a support.

IMHO, of course.

Hey GAF, absolutely loving this game but I do have a question and I hope I didn't screw something up (no problem starting over, I'm only level 3).

My main is a Paladin and for level 2 I did not select the ability which boosts Faith and Conviction (can't remember the name) and instead chose the accuracy boost when using Swords...is this ability now gone for good? or can I select it when I hit level 4? For level 3 I chose the proper ability I wanted.

Anno

Hey GAF, absolutely loving this game but I do have a question and I hope I didn't screw something up (no problem starting over, I'm only level 3).

My main is a Paladin and for level 2 I did not select the ability which boosts Faith and Conviction (can't remember the name) and instead chose the accuracy boost when using Swords...is this ability now gone for good? or can I select it when I hit level 4? For level 3 I chose the proper ability I wanted.

You'll be able to choose it again in the future. And if you did want it now you can always retrain for a fee at an inn.

You'll be able to choose it again in the future. And if you did want it now you can always retrain for a fee at an inn.

It's cheap enough that retraining is never an issue, so feel free to just play around with builds and see what you like the feel of.

Anno

so... this or path of exile?

also, does this game have online-multiplayer co-op? if not, path of exile it is.

They're very different kind of games. Pillars isn't a multiplayer game, so it sounds like Path of Exile is what you should go with.

Altazor

so... this or path of exile?

also, does this game have online-multiplayer co-op? if not, path of exile it is.

apart from both having the initials "PoE", both being PC games ported to console and both having isometric-ish perspectives, there's not much in common between the two. Path of Exile is like Diablo II. Pillars of Eternity is like Baldur's Gate.

Pillars isn't multiplayer though and Path is free so you might wanna check out that one.

Fuck Raedric! Tough bastard! I'm not revisiting his hold anytime soon after/if i beat him lol!

Hahaha, I went in there waaaaay too son (level 3) and got mangled. I did manage to clear a bunch of his minions on the lower levels but I'm going to grab more party members because I've only got 3 so far.

Staf

Hahaha, I went in there waaaaay too son (level 3) and got mangled. I did manage to clear a bunch of his minions on the lower levels but I'm going to grab more party members because I've only got 3 so far.

Well having 5 man party of level 4 isn't doing it for me lol. Probably going to go out and do some gearing/leveling before doing this. I have managed to kill one of his bodyguards before whipe though! Shame there's like 8 more...

Philxor

now you get the thread title 😁

I didn't recognise the name at first and just realised that was because my mind had wilfully blocked it from conscious memory...quick google search and *shudders*...felt so good when I finally dispensed justice.

BigEmil

If I liked the CRPG Divinity would I like this?
I read this one has more of a focus on writing and story etc

Philxor

If I liked the CRPG Divinity would I like this?
I read this one has more of a focus on writing and story etc

I personally love both. I think the focus on story and writing is probably true but would argue that combat is still great in PoE (in its own way). Divinity, in particular Original Sin, feels like more of a sandbox when it comes to combat but I enjoyed both games immensely.

Staf

GOD DAMNIT!

Got it down to 2 of his henchmen and Raedric. Then i ran out of healing spells and potions. After about 20 tries i have no problems admitting defeat. So i turn down the difficulty to "Story mode", since i don't care about trophies or prestige. I'm meet with the message: "Difficulty changes will take effect on any map you have not yet visited"...

GOD DAMNIT!

lol

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
as an added point: while there's companion AI so you don't have to constantly manage every member of your party (a feature the game didn't have at first, it was patched later), I think it's recommended that you do micromanage when encounters start to ramp up in difficulty. It's one thing to let the AI take care of trash mobs, but when you fight bosses it's far better to worry about every possible detail yourself and use companion AI more as a support.

IMHO, of course.

Cool, thanks again for the info.

I think I can get along ok with this system.

BigEmil

I personally love both. I think the focus on story and writing is probably true but would argue that combat is still great in PoE (in its own way). Divinity, in particular Original Sin, feels like more of a sandbox when it comes to combat but I enjoyed both games immensely.
Thanks, need more CRPG on my PS4

Donos

How is the text size in this for PS4? That was something that Wasteland 2 fucked up (also color of text/background) and Divinity OS was okayish. Especially with Story heavy RPGs i hate it when i have to use military binoculars to read the text on my 48" TV.

Staf

How is the text size in this for PS4? That was something that Wasteland 2 fucked up (also color of text/background) and Divinity OS was okayish. especially with Story heavy RPGs i hate it when is have to use military binoculars to read the text on my 48" TV.

On the same level as Divinity: OS.

How is the text size in this for PS4? That was something that Wasteland 2 fucked up (also color of text/background) and Divinity OS was okayish. especially with Story heavy RPGs i hate it when is have to use military binoculars to read the text on my 48" TV.

It's fine. That was something I was a bit worried about too, but I haven't had any issues with it.

CloudWolf

Yeah, Raedric is someone you gotta come back for after you've leveled a bit.
Even if you skip most of the battles by climbing the walls, the final battle is a bitch.

Altazor

I don't think you understand the thread title yet! :)

Just play the game for some more hours...............................

(BIG, LATE-GAME SPOILERS)
fuck the revived Raedric, man. Thankfully I had already grown accustomed to the game by that point, but fuck... it was still a pain in the ass. Horrible while alive and horrible undead. Still better than the A.D. though. Fuck that one :p

UberDan

Neo Member
I'm thinking of double dipping and getting this game on ps4. Could somebody tell me if you are able to access the command line in the console version? I like to play around with the "iroll20s" commands (for RP purposes only of course).

Thanks

Anno

3 of the 4 godlike races only really use their racial bonus when taking damage, so maybe go for more of a melee style unless you want a death godlike. I think all but a couple ranger abilities work in melee now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
3 of the 4 godlike races only really use their racial bonus when taking damage, so maybe go for more of a melee style unless you want a death godlike. I think all but a couple ranger abilities work in melee now.

Godlike make good Monks because of that, Monks want to get hit.

TheChaos

Hmmm...thanks. I'm a little overwhelmed in the creator, but will check out that option.

There's a lot of build variety, I know it can get overwhelming but don't sweat it too much. Honesty if you're playing on Normal any build is viable.

For Raedric:

Use the doorways at the top or bottom of the room. Have your character AI turned off, and position your tank(s) just in the room, blocking the doorway. Your ranged characters sit safely behind them (use reach weapons like a pike if you have more melee) in the attached room proper. Choose 1 character (preferably off-tank or ranger pet) to run up to Raedric and agro the group. Once they're chasing you, book it back to the room as quick as you can and hopefully don't get caught. You probably will though, so we want someone who can either take the hits or if they die it is the least impactful to the group.

He has a priest + wizard (more if you're above normal) which are an issue but otherwise the rest are melee and will stand useless past the door other than the 2 that can attack your guys in the doorway. Use ciphers/chanters/wizards to inflict confuse or charm on the back row enemies, forcing them to fight each other and softening them up for you.

Hope this helps!

edit:
Hmmm...thanks. I'm a little overwhelmed in the creator, but will check out that option.

Unless you're playing Hard or POTD, don't bother choosing anything for gameplay benefits, go with whatever you think sounds cool. The bonuses aren't that huge unless you're trying to min max. Have fun with it!

Also if you're new to this kind of game, trust me and put the difficulty to easy. Even normal is no slouch if you don't really know what you're doing. You can bump it up later when you're more comfortable.

Banned
Actually, I plan on playing in Story Mode. I'm well past the point in life where I need a challenge. I just need an escape after work. I just want a cool build that makes sense in the game universe. Thanks for all the advice, folks. I appreciate this community!

EDIT: And my wife is going away this weekend, so that's a total bonus.

RevenWolf

Gaf help, I'm suffering from alt-Itis.

I've made it to the first expansion as a rogue, but I feel like I've hit a wall on my enjoyment of the combat as a rogue.

Is there any fun class anyone would recommend? I'm trying to decide between a barbarian, paladin, or cipher.

I want to be in the thick of combat and I like the idea of not being destroyed the moment an enemy focuses me. I'm just worried about feeling like I don't do enough damage or falling into the trap of picking a class that's not very active.

Anno

I've made it to the first expansion as a rogue, but I feel like I've hit a wall on my enjoyment of the combat as a rogue.

Is there any fun class anyone would recommend? I'm trying to decide between a barbarian, paladin, or cipher.

I want to be in the thick of combat and I like the idea of not being destroyed the moment an enemy focuses me. I'm just worried about feeling like I don't do enough damage or falling into the trap of picking a class that's not very active.

You could try a monk. They tank well and actively want to get hit and can do a ton of damage as well. They also have some nice utility abilities. They're also maybe the most active melee class in the game in terms of using abilities.

TheChaos

Go with Paladin or Barb. Ciphers are fun to use but they're meant to be glass cannon-types that attack from the back row.

RevenWolf

You could try a monk. They tank well and actively want to get hit and can do a ton of damage as well. They also have some nice utility abilities. They're also maybe the most active melee class in the game in terms of using abilities.

Thanks for the reply! Do monks just wear cloth/leather usually? Also I didn't look into it much but are they like the D&D monks where they just use their fists only?

Go with Paladin or Barb. Ciphers are fun to use but they're meant to be glass cannon-types that attack from the back row.

Thanks for letting me know, I thought maybe ciphers were played melee but it does sound like they are primarily ranged.

Anno

Thanks for the reply! Do monks just wear cloth/leather usually? Also I didn't look into it much but are they like the D&D monks where they just use their fists only?

I think a lot of builds still wind up with them in heavy armor because they can haste themselves down to 0 recovery time all the same. Fists are popular with a second set of weapons for when they aren't as effective.

Thanks for letting me know, I thought maybe ciphers were played melee but it does sound like they are primarily ranged.

FWIW melee ciphers are one of my favorite builds to play. They have a tendency to die in a hurry though if you aren't microing them a lot and it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

RevenWolf

I think a lot of builds still wind up with them in heavy armor because they can haste themselves down to 0 recovery time all the same. Fists are popular with a second set of weapons for when they aren't as effective.

FWIW melee ciphers are one of my favorite builds to play. They have a tendency to die in a hurry though if you aren't microing them a lot and it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

Sold!looks like I'm going to try a monk! I'll definitely try out melee cipher on a second playthrough though.

Top Bottom