• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

I'm completely smitten. Have followed Dan as closely as possible (from afar) for a few years now, and as he has said himself, the real challenge is to find some inner 'animal' and a hard edge in order to find the extra 5% some say he needs. I'm rapt with how we handled himself over the weekend, though, he was the same Smiley Dan off track as always. Wonderful lad. If he fails to survive in F1, it won't be through lack of effort or critical self-analysis, and willingness to work hard and improve.

Vergne is going to be formidable rival though, I reckon - shapes up to be one of the most fascinating battles on the grid in 2012. Dan's up to the challenge, I reckon.

[/shamelesslybiased]

Shaneus

I'm completely smitten. Have followed Dan as closely as possible (from afar) for a few years now, and as he has said himself, the real challenge is to find some inner 'animal' and a hard edge in order to find the extra 5% some say he needs. I'm rapt with how we handled himself over the weekend, though, he was the same Smiley Dan off track as always. Wonderful lad. If he fails to survive in F1, it won't be through lack of effort or critical self-analysis, and willingness to work hard and improve.

Vergne is going to be formidable rival though, I reckon - shapes up to be one of the most fascinating battles on the grid in 2012. Dan's up to the challenge, I reckon.

[/shamelesslybiased]
I haven't followed him *that* closely, but I was well aware of him prior to him even being thought about as being an F1 contender. Chatting to a random bloke on Sunday, we both acknowledged that he just flat-out loves driving. Amongst the first out at each of the FPs and I'm pretty sure he did the most amount of laps of anyone in each one, too. This bloke also said that during testing last year, he was outpacing Vettel on a regular basis... which I kinda seem to remember hearing about when it happened.

But yeah, love the kid and I hope he does well. With his demeanor, I think he will.

Edit: Guys, just read this via the official F1 app (and I guess it's freely available on the F1 site) as part of the pre-weekend interviews:
Heikki: "I've accepted the penalty I wwas given for passing Vettel under the safety car - it was definitely a bit harsh but the rules are set and it's just unfortunate I made a small mistake that will put me back five places on the grid at Sepang."
He overtook Vettel? If he wasn't on the lead lap under SC, isn't he allowed to overtake to get back anyway?

Edit #2: And according to Petrov, they didn't have KERS either? Said they'd have it for Malaysia though, but news to me.

oipic

Edit: Guys, just read this via the official F1 app (and I guess it's freely available on the F1 site) as part of the pre-weekend interviews:
Heikki: "I've accepted the penalty I wwas given for passing Vettel under the safety car - it was definitely a bit harsh but the rules are set and it's just unfortunate I made a small mistake that will put me back five places on the grid at Sepang."
He overtook Vettel? If he wasn't on the lead lap under SC, isn't he allowed to overtake to get back anyway?

It was a technicality, but he overtook Vettel before the safety car line (while coming into the pit lane).

Edit - I love Google:

kovatemp.jpg

AcridMeat

Banned
Wow that's even more inconsequential a maneuver than I imagined after reading the article. Sad to hear it.
Time to switch my drivers

Shaneus

It was a technicality, but he overtook Vettel before the safety car line (while coming into the pit lane).

Edit - I love Google:

kovatemp.jpg
Wow. Sure is a technicality, but that's a bit shit to enforce it to the point of dropping five grid positions. Way to make sure the little guys have a shot, FIA _b /sarcasm

Wow that's even more inconsequential a maneuver than I imagined after reading the article. Sad to hear it.
Time to switch my drivers
Shit, that reminds me... I have to actually put in some selections! Is completely forgetting to do it last week (hey, I have a good excuse) going to harm me much in the long run?

Edmond Dantès;36204261 said:
Cheaper way to get Sky's coverage if you have a compatible device.
Source
So, can we get that going anywhere else? If that app thing needs a login and we can fanagle a way to pay for it, can we use said login on our computers?

No point in getting it if we can't watch it on a big (or at least, moderately-sized) screen.

Edit: Can't download free app anywhere other than the UK app store. Boo.

What has happened to Ferrari? Whats going on with the new car that they can't keep up?

They went aggressive with the new design, and it's making their life difficult in terms of setup. They still don't understand the car well, but it has potential which has been shown in their race pace

AcridMeat

Banned
Shit, that reminds me... I have to actually put in some selections! Is completely forgetting to do it last week (hey, I have a good excuse) going to harm me much in the long run?

With the amount of retirements there were I don't think it would hurt you too bad. Unless you didn't have anything selected. I still finished in the top 25 and I forgot to make changes 2 or 3 times. Forgot about bonus questions and bets 4-5 times as well.

They went aggressive with the new design, and it's making their life difficult in terms of setup. They still don't understand the car well, but it has potential which has been shown in their race pace
I think you're mistaking Alonso's ability as a driver for race pace of the car.

With the amount of retirements there were I don't think it would hurt you too bad. Unless you didn't have anything selected. I still finished in the top 25 and I forgot to make changes 2 or 3 times. Forgot about bonus questions and bets 4-5 times as well.

I actually thought I made some good choices and I'm 99 now.. that sucks lol

EDIT: Our league is ranked first now? that's amazing!

Hammer24

Banned
Any news on Mercedes´ request for clarification of the Renault engines?
They wont say details and say its not an official protest, but they suspect RBR to have a motor management solution that disables cylinders under certain circumstances.

Then I'm really not sure where you saw race pace. The Ferrari I saw was shit and was getting pressured/passed by Williams. However I think Malaysia will be way better about showing who has the better car in these early stages.

It was thought to be a disaster of a car. But it's not

it's probably the 4th fastest car on the grid, and they're yet to know how to deal with it. So in few races (hopefully longer), they will be able to climb up in the pecking order

ANDY_098

Any news on Mercedes´ request for clarification of the Renault engines?
They wont say details and say its not an official protest, but they suspect RBR to have a motor management solution that disables cylinders under certain circumstances.

All teams do this, normally to save fuel behind the safety car, but I'm pretty sure I've heard they also do it on the exit of corners to help traction. The clarification is something related to off throttle blowing probably.

mblitek

Whoah, Caterham copied Force India:

Caterham (formerly Team Lotus) and Aerolab found liable for using Force India intellectual property

Following the publication of Team Lotus wind tunnel model pictures in November 2009, Force India Formula One Team lodged a complaint with the Criminal Court in Italy and subsequently commenced civil proceedings in the UK High Court, citing concerns in respect of Team Lotus, Aerolab and Mike Gascoyne illegally copying Force India Formula One Team design intellectual property accessed from secure files held at Aerolab.

The case was heard at the High Court, London during January 2012 with Mr Justice Arnold finding Team Lotus (now known as Caterham) and Aerolab liable for copyright infringement and using confidential information respectively. Some parts created using Force India confidential information were used on the Team Lotus race cars in the early part of the 2010 season.

The UK High Court judgement, in respect of the illegal copying, will now be referred for the consideration of Formula One's governing body, the FIA, whilst the Italian criminal case against Mike Gascoyne, Tony Fernandes and Jean Claude Migeot remains ongoing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wow at Caterham. I dont think they would penalize the team two years later though. They may invalidate their record for 2010, and maybe sanction those involved and asses a fine, but I doubt they would kick out Caterham as a whole or the drivers if they were not involved.

That said, do I switch away from Caterham on racemanager???
LLShC.gif

mblitek

Ahhhhhh, there's more to the story than meets the eye:

The legal action between Force India and Team Lotus/Caterham is not as simple a story as it is portrayed by Force India.

At the centre of it is a personal problem between Force India boss Vijay Mallya and Mike Gascoyne. In November 2008 Mallya fired Gascoyne from his job as technical director of the Silverstone team. At the time Gascoyne wanted to build the team up by investing in the necessary infrastructure, while Mallya decided that the best course of action was to buy in technology from McLaren. This strategy has made Force India look good in recent years, but the team now needs to make the investments that Gascoyne argued for if it is to maintain its position and get on to the tail of the big players.

When Mallya axed Gascoyne, the Englishman duly announced that he would sue Force India for costs and damages following the early termination of his contract, demanding $2.5 million for the last year of his contract plus a percentage of the $5 million he would have earned with an option for a 2-year extension detailed in his deal.

When Gascoyne then went to work for the start-up Lotus operation, in league with Aerolab, which was also owed money by Mallya, things became a little more complicated.

Perhaps one should add the additional element of Lotus being run by successful Malaysian airline owner Tony Fernandes, an ethnic Indian, while Vijay Mallya's efforts at running an airline, known as Kingfisher, were rather less successful. One might even conjecture that the last thing Mallya wanted was a F1 team owner of Indian extraction doing better than him in the sport - and in the airline business as well. Mallya has a well-developed ego.

Whatever the case trouble began when Force India engineers saw a photograph of a wind tunnel model being used by Aerolab for the hurried Lotus project. The Force India argument that this was a big deal has now been rejected by the courts. The model was out of date and the car that had been built from it had not, in any case, been very competitive so it was stretch to argue that this was some kind of espionage. Logic suggest that if you want to get a competitive car, you do not copy an uncompetitive one that is out of date. The conclusion drawn by Gascoyne and Jean-Claude Migeot of Aerolab, was that the legal action was simply designed to be a lever in the argument over fees that Force India owed to Aerolab, and perhaps in the separate dispute between Gascoyne and Mallya.

Whatever the case, Mallya now has to pay up considerably more money than Fernandes, with the award against Lotus/Caterham being paltry in legal terms. Gascoyne and Aerolab will have little patient with Force India now that this case is out of the way, and there is a danger that if payments are not made on time then Force India might become the target for injunctions that might, for example, leave the cars impounded.

This all coincides with Kingfisher Airlines getting into deeper and deeper trouble. The latest suggestion from India is that the airline could be facing the cancellation of its flying permit if the authorities deem that flight safety has been compromised during Kingfisher's recent cash crunch. The airline appears to be stuck in a downward spiral with money needed to pay debts but passengers being driven away because they are not confident that the flights will actually be operated. Mallya has been trying everything to find more funding but no-one seems to be interested. One way or another, that situation is coming to a head and it remains to be seen what happens to Mallya's F1 team if the empire begins to unravel.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Mark expects Lotus challenge.
"Malaysia is quite an aerodynamically demanding track and the Lotus looks good in that area," Webber said in his BBC column. "So I'd also expect a challenge from Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean in Sepang. I think it will be a cracking grand prix and I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be fascinating to see how the next few grands prix go."

Shaneus

Holy shit, GAF1 is the top of the subleague table. Nice job, those guys who actually submitted their teams!

Also, the question... is it as easy as the answer I found via Google, or is there a trick?

mblitek

My website @greaseandgears has a logo and graphics now just waiting for final colour scheme!

Follow me on Twitter, I neeeeed the followers so I look legitimate!

Shaneus

My website @greaseandgears has a logo and graphics now just waiting for final colour scheme!

Follow me on Twitter, I neeeeed the followers so I look legitimate!
Followed! You never got back to me on the ideas I sent you, either... unless you're still reading them, which is understandable given the length ;)

Edmond Dantès;36243058 said:
No trick, just an easy start to the bonus questions.
Awesome. As an aside, I logged in for the first time since they allowed rosters etc. and it seemed to already have Pic and the other Marussia dude selected, but they were greyed out. Does that mean they were used for last week or are they just used as examples or part of the template or something? Also, fuel. WTF? (Keep in mind I'm at work, so if all of this info is on their site, just nudge me in the right direction and I'll check it out when I get home)

Shaneus

The site said I earned 355 points last weekend and had 44mil to spend. Safe to assume it defaulted to Marussia for everything? Oh well, better than HRT!

Are we going to share some info for f1manager? or every man for himself?
I would guess that quiz answer sharing is okay (I think I've seen the answers fairly liberally shared around here other years) but as for engines etc., I think most of us should be fine on our own? FWIW, I've just followed the tips on the main page and gone with the top fuel and worked my way from there. That's right... right?

I have Kova, Pic, E20, Caterham and Merc for oil.

Done worse than shit lol.. I'm 2nd from last

I'll bounce back I'm sure... I'm aiming to get Kimi, and once he wins the WDC I'll destroy everyone else :p

Kimi seeking steering improvements

"We have some things [to try]," Raikkonen told reporters in the Sepang paddock. "It is just a matter of getting it right.

"It is many things. It is not as I have been used to in the past, and it is not as perfect as it should be.

"The team is working hard since we knew about the issue, but it is not the easiest thing to fix. But we have a new one to try and hopefully it will be OK."

"The tyres were really good," he said. "I took it easy, and probably I expected to have more problems with them.

"I didn't have any knowledge, so I was surprised how well it went. The second set [in the race], I think we could have run the whole race with them."

Force India ordered to pay Aerolab €850,000
Force India was awarded €25,000 in compensation in regard to its intellectual property rights, with Mr Justice Arnold deeming the use of CAD files as a short cut. The team now wants the FIA to look in to the intellectual property dispute, with a statement reading: "The UK High Court judgement, in respect of the illegal copying, will now be referred for the consideration of Formula One's governing body, the FIA."

Horner denies Ferrari rumours
"You can see what the appeal is at Ferrari but you can also see the pitfalls and my commitment is to Red Bull.

"Dietrich Materschitz gave me the chance as a 31-year-old to step into Formula One and entrusted me to build a team for him.

"I feel very much part of the team and I have no burning desire within me to go and work at Ferrari. I am happy where I am. I have a multi-year commitment."

Shaneus

I have Kova, Pic, E20, Caterham and Merc for oil.

Done worse than shit lol.. I'm 2nd from last

I'll bounce back I'm sure... I'm aiming to get Kimi, and once he wins the WDC I'll destroy everyone else :p
Ah, fair enough. For this weekend I picked:
Fuel: Total
Engine: STR
Chassis: Wil
with Pic and Kova for my drivers. I can only assume that once you've put a team in for a weekend, there's only minor changes (if any) week-to-week which is a bit of a relief. Glad I had last week to use as somewhat of a yardstick rather than going in blindly.

Just had a read of the rules down the bottom of the page... can only guess that I'm able to get a reasonably decent team for cheap due to both Caterham and Williams getting dual DNFs last week.

Wait, if you were second last... does that mean you were second last after you submitted your pics? Damn :( Because from what I can tell, everyone who's last was in the same boat as me. Definitely looks like I'm on the back foot :/

Lucius86

Banned
Ah, fair enough. For this weekend I picked:
Fuel: Total
Engine: STR
Chassis: Wil
with Pic and Kova for my drivers. I can only assume that once you've put a team in for a weekend, there's only minor changes (if any) week-to-week which is a bit of a relief. Glad I had last week to use as somewhat of a yardstick rather than going in blindly.

Just had a read of the rules down the bottom of the page... can only guess that I'm able to get a reasonably decent team for cheap due to both Caterham and Williams getting dual DNFs last week.

Wait, if you were second last... does that mean you were second last after you submitted your pics? Damn :( Because from what I can tell, everyone who's last was in the same boat as me. Definitely looks like I'm on the back foot :/

Did we ever guess your team name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom