• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's a little irritating that you guys are jumping on this discussion like it's a massive argument that's ruining the thread in some way. Maybe that's how it's gone down in the past, but if we can't discuss certain drivers just because they split opinion then what's the point of this thread?
I think some of us are just wary of the past where Hamilton debates have descended into Planet F1 levels of discourse. This has ruined the mood of the thread and put people off posting in the past, which is a shame.

slmkay

Banned
Edmond Dantès;36252809 said:
Just like old times then.

A F1 thread without a heated Hamilton debate is like F1 without Ferrari.

My apologies. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I only meant to lay down some facts about Lewis' wet-weather driving. If this is an 'argument', then why do we bother having a thread for F1?

I know the tendency is to rate drivers as good their last race was, but Lewis has always been great in mixed conditions/wet racing. Anyone overlooking that is just ignorant or heavily biased. It's like saying Vettel is a poor qualifier or Schumacher can't win without the best car + team politics.

Puh-lease.

Septimius

Hamilton has more achievements in wet than I can remember, it seems. I just remember the China pit entry and Montreal. Selective memory I guess. I'd just hope to see some Schumacher awesomness, and I'd be content.

Thing is, any wet driver who is worth their salt will also have crashes in the wet to their name. Why? Because they're pushing the limits, all the time.

Az

Edmond Dantès;36253199 said:
I think some of us are just wary of the past where Hamilton debates have descended into Planet F1 levels of discourse. This has ruined the mood of the thread and put people off posting in the past, which is a shame.

One of the reasons I rarely post in F1 threads but follow every single page.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
My apologies. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I only meant to lay down some facts about Lewis' wet-weather driving. If this is an 'argument', then why do we bother having a thread for F1?

I know the tendency is to rate drivers as good their last race was, but Lewis has always been great in mixed conditions/wet racing. Anyone overlooking that is just ignorant or heavily biased. It's like saying Vettel is a poor qualifier or Schumacher can't win without the best car + team politics.

Puh-lease.
There's nothing wrong with what you said or the tone you said it in. There's no need to apologise and I agree with your opinion of Lewis' wet weather talent.

Definitely one of the best, if not the best currently, but prone to an odd mistake like the previous rain masters before him; Senna and Schumacher.

Edmond Dantès;36253199 said:

Kind of sad we can't talk about Hamilton just because of how other people have acted in the past.

Point taken though, no more Hamilton discussion.

Berto

Has Massa had any good wet performances the last years?
He was pretty good at Monaco 08 when was actually raining, then Ferrari messed up his strategy and he made a mistake at Sainte Devote.

EDIT: Actually it was a safety car that ruined Massa early lead, not Ferrari. I think...

mclem

Apart from Canada last year I cant think of any race ever lasting more than 4 hours. The only reason that rule was introduced was because of Canada 2011, its unlikely that we will ever need it again.

I have to say, if there *is* a lengthy downtime, I'd be interested to see how Sky and the BBC manage it now the great commentary double-act have been split up.

I also wonder if Sky will be able to cope with no ads for *four hours*!

frontieruk

I have to say, if there *is* a lengthy downtime, I'd be interested to see how Sky and the BBC manage it now the great commentary double-act have been split up.

I also wonder if Sky will be able to cope with no ads for *four hours*!

with racing down time Sky will resort to showing adverts if only to cover how poor their coverage/commentary is, 4 straight hours of it would be painful.

mclaren777

GP2 starts this weekend, anyone else watching?

I'm really looking forward to it.

ibpD1KnA9Ra9PI.jpg

Yeah it does. I've never got used to the thin rear wings. That GP2 is what F1 cars used to look like, in the V10 years. Soo much better.

Nope, the rear wing might be a bit wider than the current rear wing in F1, but it's still not as wide as the ones we had few years ago, so it's not really an improvement.

2004-ferrari-f2004-18_460x0w.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
Nope, the rear wing might be a bit wider than the current rear wing in F1, but it's still not as wide as the ones we had few years ago, so it's not really an improvement.

Those were the days. A nice wide rear and a relatively simple front. The cars had an attractive proportion and simplicity to them by comparison. Although not as nice as the early to mid 90s cars.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Edmond Dantès;36258895 said:
What F1 cars should look like:

Ferrari+F1+1991.jpg

I think it shows how much the understanding of aerodynamics has changed over the last 20 years, hell even the last 10 years.
Look at Newey's MP13/14 and see how the design has improved due to powerful computer modelling and better windtunnels.

Got finally time to watch the Australian GP. Really good start from both Ferrari, the same can't be said from Webber.

And my God, Croft is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom