• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman

In a couple of races last year people said the gp2 cars were faster than the HRTs. Has gp2 gone through any big changes this year compared to last?

If not then with the slower pace of this years cars they could end up being faster than some other teams too.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I think it shows how much the understanding of aerodynamics has changed over the last 20 years, hell even the last 10 years.
Look at Newey's MP15/16 and see how the design has improved due to powerful computer modelling and better windtunnels.
Still not sure whether there is much of an aerodynamic difference between the lose noses pre-1994 and the modern day noses.

Edmond Dantès;36261648 said:
We all know you're not fond of older F1 cars Omiee. ;)

I have to agree with him. The nose is too low, the car looks boring, there's no real elegance. I prefer the late 90s-mid 00 cars.

Omiee

Edmond Dantès;36261648 said:
We all know you're not fond of older F1 cars Omiee. ;)

nah i love em, they got this classic look to them. but they just dont match up against modern cars.

i mean a ferrari f40 is real nice, but its not as good looking as a aston martin dbs or a ferrarri 458.

late 90's cars looked real nice. And last years rb7 is my favorite looking car in recent years.

look at this beauty

3e141_1998-mclaren-mercedes-mp4-13-mika-hakkinen-at-monza.jpg

who could forget about these days and how amazing the cars looked

schumacher-hakkinen-ferrari-mclaren.jpg

Hakkinen.jpg

nah i love em, they got this classic look to them. but they just dont match up against modern cars.

i mean a ferrari f40 is real nice, but its not as good looking as a aston martin dbs or a ferrarri 458.

late 90's cars looked real nice. And last years rb7 is my favorite looking car in recent years.

look at this beauty

3e141_1998-mclaren-mercedes-mp4-13-mika-hakkinen-at-monza.jpg

who could forget about these days and how amazing the cars looked

schumacher-hakkinen-ferrari-mclaren.jpg

<3

Omiee

hondaf1.jpg

burn it, what were they thinking????

seriously how can this be considered a f1 car. it looks like a toy.

tumblr_ly3y3qkXRB1qapwfro1_r1_500.jpg

love the inside shot of the engine though

2901808098_940e616093.jpg

kharma45

I still like Jaguar's F1 car from 2003

jaguar2003launch-lg.jpg

Others like these too

Ferrari-F2008_mp20_pic_50843.jpg

dsjfbsdjbfau3.jpg

alesi2001.jpg

lotus85a.jpg

This just looks so boss

Gurney2.jpg

2724899979_4ee95a6acb.jpg

1325098664_f0cd02e25f_o.jpg

And whilst I'm not going to argue that this was one of the best looking cars ever, I think that it's still a very special one, credit to Ferrari.

R56c4l.jpg

I guess everyone has their tastes. I prefer the batshit insane wings of the 2008 season.

lo9t31472.jpg

I quite liked them too truth be told.

Shaneus

Yeah it does. I've never got used to the thin rear wings. That GP2 is what F1 cars used to look like, in the V10 years. Soo much better.
I'm in agreement. That shape with dat colour scheme (never getting sick of the Caterham/Team Lotus British Racing Green/yellow) looks magical. I haven't seen the other cars in GP2, but that has to be one of the best looking cars on track in any format today.

Got finally time to watch the Australian GP. Really good start from both Ferrari, the same can't be said from Webber.
Webber will start in reverse again
so Webber and guy behind Webber
Probably :( Dude seriously has to work on his starts. It'd be impossible to count just how many weekends he's lost because of it.

I still like Jaguar's F1 car from 2003

jaguar2003launch-lg.jpg
Ugh, British Racing Green again. There needs to be more of it on everything.

xptoxyz

Malaysian Grand Prix Timetable

GMT Times - all from F1 and respective UK broadcasters sites.

Fri 23 March 2012 said:
Practice 1 - 02:00 - 03:30
SKY F1 - 01:45​
Practice 2 - 06:00 - 07:30
SKY F1 - 05:45​

Sat 24 March 2012 said:
Practice 3 - 05:00 - 06:00
SKY F1 - 04:45​
Qualifying - 08:00
SKY F1 - 07:00

BBC ONE Highlights - 13:00​

Sun 25 March 2012 said:
Race - 09:00
SKY F1 - 07:30

BBC ONE Highlights - 14:45​

xptoxyz

Malaysian Grand Prix Support Timetable (GP2)

This is GP2, for the F1 timetable check this post

GMT Times - all from GP2 and respective UK broadcasters sites.

Fri 23 March 2012 said:
Practice - 04:00
NO BROADCAST?​
Qualifying - 07:55
SKY F1 - 07:50​

Sat 24 March 2012 said:
Race 1 - 03:00
SKY F1 - 02:55​

Sun 25 March 2012 said:
Race 2 - 06:15
SKY F1 - 06:10​

I don't know if anyone else in the UK has any rights over GP2 as of right now, I think Eurosport doesn't so I just have the Sky times.

ANDY_098

I don't know if anyone else in the UK has any rights over GP2 as of right now, I think Eurosport doesn't so I just have the Sky times.

Thanks. I'll record and re-watch the races later in the day.

mblitek

I miss the batshit crazy F1 cars too. But obviously Formula One could not continue to go in that direction and remain financially viable.

I always imagine what it would be like if McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes and if you go back to the .com boom glory days BMW & Toyota went all out and had maximum budget caps of say $250 million. Double diffusers, blown diffusers, DRS, KERS etc. etc. were all allowed and a lot more room for innovation, how cool would that be?

I guess that's what we see in Adrian Newey and Red Bull's project car and GT5.

Although it's not an F1 car, look at this beauty that I just came across that was that Sebring. Personally, a well executed Martini livery looks better than a Gulf themed livery. that said the recent Aston Martin racecars with that baby blue-ish colour look amazing.

w7nwt.jpg

I've never watched GP2 but I want to start now.

Why do they have 2 races?

Is this new from Sky?

"If you'd like to change your registered devices you can do so once a calendar month."

Because when testing it out I changed devices four times last weekend without any problems. Fuckers. :(

Chris R

I've never watched GP2 but I want to start now.

Why do they have 2 races?

The Longer/Sprint setup isn't that uncommon. I don't know exactly why they do it, but like that they do. It gives the drivers TWO chances to race (wreck in race 1, you can still race in race 2) over the weekend, and the inverted points positions puts the race winner in 8th place for the 2nd race, making them fight through the field to get back up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom