• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren777

The fake Martin Whitmarsh Twitter account retweeted my picture today. :)

iJxB1VgPP2mTI.jpg

alright p1. had to watch it late, so I can watch p2 live before work and still sleep for a few hours. bu bu

I like watching GP2 for the crashes :p The drivers aren't as experienced and I feel much more reckless, trying to impress the higher ups and secure a seat in F1.
yeah. gp2 is a bit like watching online racing. everyone thinking they always have the right of way and coming together taking each other out. hehe. hilariously typical.

as for old f1 cars. for obvious transformers related reasons I prefer these of course

Tyrell P-34

tyrrell_p34_6561.prevdhlcu.jpg

tyrell_20p34au7zgk.jpg

and Ligier JS11

3736iib4q.jpeg

OF COURSE :))

but the 6-wheeled tyrell is super awesome regardless

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
hamilton looks comfortably fastest even on used hard tyres.
The McLaren looks the class of the field again so far.

Omiee

yeah mclaren is going to stay fastest in the early stages of this season. will be interesting to see how mercedes and rbr are going to try to improve and match mclaren's pace.

mclaren777

Both HRT cars are roughly 6.5 seconds off Lewis' time so I hope they learn enough from this session to shave a full second off by qualifying tomorrow.

He's now the only HRT driver within the 107% rule. You guys need to ease up.

I really, really hate this sentiment.

Why? Good drivers with financial backing are fine (Alonso), but bad drivers getting a seat just because of money need to get stopped.

F1 has to have some kind of minimum requirement to give the super license. (not sure if they have that now or not)

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The McLaren looks like the RBR car from last year. It just arrives at each track and gets up to speed very easily.
Looks much more stable than last years car ( no crazy bouncing over bumps on track) and is fastest in the high speed corners like RBR were for the last 2 years.

mclaren777

No, Narain is a worthless driver.

That's a stupid statement and you know it. Narain wouldn't be in F1 if he was a worthless driver. Why? Because sponsors wouldn't financially back him (and thus, pay for his seat) if that was the case. Granted, he's no Jenson Button, but he doesn't deserve half the crap you guys give him.

Bad drivers getting a seat just because of money need to get stopped.

F1 has to have some kind of minimum requirement to give the super license.
There are minimum requirements and Narain easily surpasses them. Plus, it sounds like you need a reality check regarding pay drivers. People like Kamui and Webber never would have entered the sport without that kind of sponsorship agreement. Narain is far from perfect, but he's hardly a "bad driver". Yeah, he might look sloppy out there, but it's because he has the worst car in F1. If anything, drivers like him have a much harder time at races than leaders like Jenson or Vettel.

Dilly

Banned
That's a stupid statement and you know it. Narain wouldn't be in F1 if he was a worthless driver. Why? Because sponsors wouldn't financially back him (and thus, pay for his seat) if that was the case. Granted, he's no Jenson Button, but he doesn't deserve half the crap you guys give him.

He's a worthless driver compared to the potential and young drivers that are waiting in line and fighting to get a chance in F1. They are not getting their chance because an "old" Indian guy with financial backing is going around a track underperforming.

I'd love to see how much financial backing he would receive when he was German/British.

So no, it's not a stupid statement. HRT have been worthless year after year now, yet you still defend them like they're actually meaning something for the sport. The only new team worth defending is Caterham, although Marussia with decent backing and McLaren support have a shot at becoming a decent team.

mclaren777

HRT have been worthless year after year now, yet you still defend them like they're actually meaning something for the sport.

I think everyone should support HRT and Marussia because their success in F1 might dictate whether we ever fill those last two spots on the grid. If they fail, it sends a message to other teams that F1 isn't worth entering.

Yeah, they're slow and unreliable, but I'd much rather see them improve and compete with the midfield than die off and cause F1 to go back to having just ten teams.

I think everyone should support HRT and Marussia because their success in F1 might dictate whether we ever fill those last two spots on the grid. If they fail, it sends a message to other teams that F1 isn't worth entering.

Yeah, they're slow and unreliable, but I'd much rather see them improve and compete with the midfield than die off and cause F1 to go back to having just ten teams.

I wouldn't care less if we lose those worthless teams. F1 is for the big boys, if you don't have the pockets for it, simple, stay away

Shaneus

Like Dilly mentioned, Caterham are the only ones worth keeping on the grid at that end of the scale because they are actually improving year after year. When you can't make any of the testing and quite literally say you're using the FP of the first race as your testing, you shouldn't be in it at all.

Like Dilly mentioned, Caterham are the only ones worth keeping on the grid at that end of the scale because they are actually improving year after year. When you can't make any of the testing and quite literally say you're using the FP of the first race as your testing, you shouldn't be in it at all.

If it was their first season, you could cut them some slack, but this is what? their 3rd or 4th?

John_B

Hamilton will retaliate this weekend. McLaren form is looking superior. RBR needs to catch up quick or it will be a straight championship fight between Hamilton and Button.

Shaneus

If it was their first season, you could cut them some slack, but this is what? their 3rd or 4th?
Yup. Still can't get sponsors, either... that's gotta say something.

Wouldn't mind seeing the US have another shot at entering a team, but I'm not sure the interest is there given what happened with US F1. Although, with Austin coming up...

Dilly

Banned

I like the idea of 26 drivers, it can only add to the excitement. I also supported all 3 of them during their first year since it's a lot of work setting up an F1 team from scratch. However, that support isn't infinite.

Caterham presented themselves well, they brought an old team name back with its livery, they used social media to get closer to the fans, they have a more than decent driver line up and Gascoyne's appearances on BBC were intersting for the viewers. They presented themselves as a sympathetic and open team with a plan whilst steadily improving their car over the years.

Virgin has just been taken over by Marussia and McLaren is helping them this year so I can give them a year or two more.

HRT however have been in trouble from the moment they started, financial problems, problems with the car, not being there for the tests, they're a disaster.

How can I have sympathy for HRT when Caterham is setting a prime example of how it should be done? The situation would have been different if every new team was struggling like HRT, but that's not the case. I thought giving Ricciardo a seat last year was a step in the good direction, but then they put Narain back in that car.

Pterion

Mclaren will win it, rain or dry. Ham for pole and victory, hopefully.

If you listen to Whitmarsh, the car was at a disadvantage in Australia as there aren't that many high-speed corners compared to tracks like Sepang. This was also noted during testing, with the drivers stating that the car behaves extremely well at high speed, hence Hamilton being quoted (somewhat wrongfully) as implying the 2012 car has a similar level of downforce as the outgoing car.
Still early days, but looks like we may want to start listening to Mclaren's teamboss more often around here...

If it weren't for the shitty ass tires, I'd be less worried about the rest of the season.

Dilly

Banned
Both McLaren drivers are definately in pole position for winning a second world title. Looking forward to how Hamilton's going to handle it.

Adamm

What is it with Red Bull & thier practice pace?
Every weekend they are way down the grid in praticce, but then on pole (or near it) in qualifying - why are they hiding it? We all know where they are on the grid

S. L.

Why? Good drivers with financial backing are fine (Alonso), but bad drivers getting a seat just because of money need to get stopped.

F1 has to have some kind of minimum requirement to give the super license. (not sure if they have that now or not)

That doesn't even make sense.
Many drivers are "pay drivers" as sponsors specifically pay their salary and sponsor the team. e.g. alonso

I wouldn't care less if we lose those worthless teams. F1 is for the big boys, if you don't have the pockets for it, simple, stay away
all the "big boys" started small...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom