• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgun

I really hate that the BBC have stopped doing practice highlight videos. A small 3-5min vid of all the best times/crashes etc is what I want to see. :(

Was just about to post the same thing. I can't watch the SkyGo replay at work because there are already two devices on the account.

Hammer24

Banned
- FIA rebuked Mercedes´ request for clarification of the RBR engines
- Rumor: Ferrari in talks with Sutil (out of job since the disco incident) to replace Massa

- FIA rebuked Mercedes´ request for clarification of the RBR engines
- Rumor: Ferrari in talks with Sutil (out of job since the disco incident) to replace Massa

Sutil at Ferrari? Oh wow. Sure, they need a proper mid-field driver as partner for Alonso, but that would be weird. Then again, and I know this is a bit hyperbolic, but Ferrari is already kind of a mid-field team.

Boobless

Neo Member
Sutil at Ferrari? Oh wow. Sure, they need a proper mid-field driver as partner for Alonso, but that would be weird. Then again, and I know this is a bit hyperbolic, but Ferrari is already kind of a mid-field team.

Not with Alonso behind the wheel, he made a mid field team into a team behind red bull and mclaren. Not bad.

Adamm

What they need is a 2nd Alonso (Kubica?)to keep them in 3rd place.

Not with Alonso behind the wheel, he made a mid field team into a team behind red bull and mclaren. Not bad.

I'm not a fan of Alonso, but I'm amazed by his skill. It's incredible what he can do with that turd of a car and I'd kill puppies to see what he could do in a good Ferrari. Seeing him barely fighting off a Williams or a Mercedes was depressing.

What they need is a 2nd Alonso (Kubica?)to keep them in 3rd place.

I still don't get the hype around Robert.

That doesn't even make sense.
Many drivers are "pay drivers" as sponsors specifically pay their salary and sponsor the team. e.g. alonso

What doesn't make sense? Good drivers will attract sponsorship. which will make them more attractive for teams. Do you think NK would have gotten the Ferrari seat if he had the Santander backing? no!

Pay driver is a driver that doesn't deserve his seat if he didn't have the money. I hope this makes sense now?

all the "big boys" started small...

True, when the sport was not as financially demanding as now a days. Not anymore. same goes to almost every sport now.

Not everyone is able to see the light.

Enlighten me. I looked at his stats and he's no better than a, lets say, Coulthard.
Robert Kubica

Born 7 December 1984 (age 27)

Formula One World Championship career

Nationality Poland Polish
Active years 2006–2010
Teams BMW Sauber, Renault
Races 76
Championships 0
Wins 1
Podiums 12
Career points 273
Pole positions 1
Fastest laps 1

S. L.

What doesn't make sense? Good drivers will attract sponsorship. which will make them more attractive for teams. Do you think NK would have gotten the Ferrari seat if he had the Santander backing? no!

Pay driver is a driver that doesn't deserve his seat if he didn't have the money. I hope this makes sense now?

by what criteria does a driver "deserve" a seat?

Alsonso is great driver no doubt and he brings money into the team.
NK is a not so great driver and he brings money into the team...

not THAT much difference to me in regards to who or what is a pay-driver

by what criteria does a driver "deserve" a seat?

Alsonso is great driver no doubt and he brings money into the team.
NK is a not so great driver and he brings money into the team...

not THAT much difference to me in regards to who or what is a pay-driver

you have your opinion and I have mine. lets agree to disagree.

I really don't care if you support those teams thinking its good for the sport. But don't suggest that all people should support them for whatever reason

EDIT: sorry that was mclaren not you.

The problem with Kubica is we'll never know. I really loved him in 2010 and thought he was going to be a big hit one day, but then he had his crash and let's be honest he stands zero chance of going back to F1.

So now I feel he's been elevated a bit above his status just because of what might have been, just like celebs who die young etc. We've been robbed of finding out and that's why he's brought up so much I feel.

He was definitely a great driver. Whether or not he had it in him to be more than that I'm not sure.

Yes, but discussing stats from a driver whose career ended sooner than it would because of an accident really isn't really relevant.

I pretty much agree with FV.

So now I feel he's been elevated a bit above his status just because of what might have been, just like celebs who die young etc. We've been robbed of finding out and that's why he's brought up so much I feel.

He was definitely a great driver. Whether or not he had it in him to be more than that I'm not sure.

Hammer24

Banned
Sutil would make sense for Ferrari:
- he´d come cheap
- he´d be no real competition to Alonso (just imagine a Massa replacement that´d beat Alonso!)
- he´s experienced enough to help develop the car further

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wouldn't care less if we lose those worthless teams. F1 is for the big boys, if you don't have the pockets for it, simple, stay away
Enzo thought the same as you about the 'garagistas' and yet he was proven wrong by the likes of Cooper, Williams, Lotus and McLaren countless times. They put him in his place.

F1 should always be a mix between manufacturer and privateer teams and who's to say that the teams you're lambasting won't make progress up the grid eventually. They're not doing any worse than Minardi when they were trundling along at the back of the grid.

I just love this! :lol

... and Fernando Alonso took his Ferrari round in 1m 38.891s for sixth.

t was another tough afternoon for Felipe Massa, who could not better 1m 40.271s in the second Ferrari ...
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/3/13147.html

Can we now please, please fire his ass for sure?

Sutil would make sense for Ferrari:
- he´d come cheap
- he´d be no real competition to Alonso (just imagine a Massa replacement that´d beat Alonso!)
- he´s experienced enough to help develop the car further

You're just biased, because you want to see a German driver in a Ferrari. :p

Adamm

Twitter rumour:

Spanish media are reporting that Ferrari are bringing a completely new car to Bahrain with Crash tests already scheduled

Dilly

Banned
Twitter rumour:

Spanish media are reporting that Ferrari are bringing a completely new car to Bahrain with Crash tests already scheduled

Can they also bring a completely new driver?

Car can't be worse than what it is now, it's not salvageable.

Dilly

Banned
They're not that bad. Fifth place is bad for Ferrari, but overall still okay. But I feel this will turn into another 2011 season for them.

It's time they get their shit together, after they had to design a new car instead of rely on the stuff from the Schumacher era they have been subtop.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's time they get their shit together, after they had to design a new car instead of rely on the stuff from the Schumacher era they have been subtop.
They seem to be falling into old habits. The Ferrari before Jean Todt and co was... well, a far cry from the 'dream team'.

I'm still fairly new to the sport but isn't it kind of pointless to put any stock into P1 and P2 due to differing fuel loads and tire choices between the teams?

Bo-Locks

Hamilton half a second ahead of everybody else is still what I expect for quali. Unless Button manages to elevate his quali skills like he did last week then I don't think anybody will come close.

Hammer24

Banned
I'm still fairly new to the sport but isn't it kind of pointless to put any stock into P1 and P2 due to differing fuel loads and tire choices between the teams?

The lap times by themselves are meaningless.
But most teams use FP1 and 2 to prepare for the race setup. If you check in detail, when the cars made a long run, you can go by the average times to see what their race pace will be, and how the tyre degredation hits them.

The lap times by themselves are meaningless.
But most teams use FP1 and 2 to prepare for the race setup. If you check in detail, when the cars made a long run, you can go by the average times to see what their race pace will be, and how the tyre degredation hits them.

It just seems crazy to try and balance tire degradation with lightening fuel weight and to then try and come to any sort of conclusion based on it. I'm not knocking people here who do it as I can certainly understand. Just....seems really tough to get a clear picture until quali and the race obviously.

Omiee

Hamilton half a second ahead of everybody else is still what I expect for quali. Unless Button manages to elevate his quali skills like he did last week then I don't think anybody will come close.

the weird thing is button is saying they are off pace on low fuel runs.

i think red bull wont be able to fight for red bull the first few races, but will be much closer to mclaren in the race.

cant wait for vettels first win this season, cant imagine mclaren dominating this season.

Hammer24

Banned
It just seems crazy to try and balance tire degradation with lightening fuel weight and to then try and come to any sort of conclusion based on it.

It sure needs a lot of guessing, but its doable.
Just take a single car, compare two long runs on different tyre types, compare the degradation of lap times between those two long runs.
Basically the same what the teams do to get a clear picture concerning their race strategies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom