• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Hagi

Oh man Logan is fucking amazing. So many emotions right now but damn this was a great piece of cinema.

Hmm, will consider the Stormwatch HCs. Am hoping for a nice big omnibus.

Gerat that Zealot is getting her own book. Turning out to be one of my favourite recent character designs visually.

There's never been any kind of long term correlation between movie success and comic success- especially if we're looking at print sales.

Digital skews toward newer and younger readers, but rarely do we get data on that outside of a few PR pieces here and there.
Actually I think someone had made a sort of list since September. Found it!

What do you guys think of long denouements in comics? For 5+ issue arcs in particular.

I think it must be very difficult to manage the page distribution of the last issue in a long arc. But more often than not, when the climax wraps up by the halfway point, it feels abrupt, even unsatisfying. There is a sense of, "that's it? After all this, that's the big fight?"

I guess they don't feel overlong when you're reading the entire arc at once. But in the context of one issue of a story you've been reading for months, I find that ten or twelve pages spent putting a bow on it feels like a lot.

What do you guys think of long denouements in comics? For 5+ issue arcs in particular.

I think it must be very difficult to manage the page distribution of the last issue in a long arc. But more often than not, when the climax wraps up by the halfway point, it feels abrupt, even unsatisfying. There is a sense of, "that's it? After all this, that's the big fight?"

I guess they don't feel overlong when you're reading the entire arc at once. But in the context of one issue of a story you've been reading for months, I find that ten or twelve pages spent putting a bow on it feels like a lot.
I like the way King is doing it in Batman with 1 issue or mini arcs between/after the big stories.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Villains for Logan were made up, right? No characters from the books?

Nicola Scott or Liam Sharp?
No idea tbh, I just flipped through the first trade and didnt realized that there are multiple artists. But the Cheeta artworks stood out for me, so I would say the artist who draw this issues.

Messi

No idea tbh, I just flipped through the first trade and didnt realized that there are multiple artists. But the Cheeta artworks stood out for me, so I would say the artist who draw this issues.

Liam Sharp then.

Rice and Pierce are both in the comics. Rice was co-lead on the project to create Laura and was an abusive, manipulative, cruel, sociopathic, revenge driven shitheel that used her as a weapon. Pierce was a Hellfire Club member who was a mutant-hating cyborg.
Pierce is a Reaver in the comics and Rice is the guy who is a jerk to Laura in her origin.
Pierce was a Hellfire Club member. I don't recall him being a Reaver (which is what he is in the movie)

Ross61

I'm actually finding JRJR's art in Suicide Squad quite tolerable,
maybe even enjoyable
.This has definitely improved since JLvsSS even though I was enjoying it before.

Superman #18
Pretty intense issue and a very interesting way to begin things. Any theories as to
who escaped? New 52 Superman escaped, and Superboy Prime is on Earth?
looking forward as always.

Midnighter and Apollo #6
That was pretty great. Great conclusion to a great series. Not much more to say other than that. One of the best power couples in comics.

Shade the Changing Girl #6
This is the first issue of this book where I say, "Fucking really?" Now, it makes sense to me that
Megan would be physical: the Madness is causing everything to be fucked up. The more sane Shade gets, the more insane the scientist on Meta gets. The Madness is what's causing Megan to manifest, though I wish it had been more of a psychological battle than a physical one. I also wish we had gotten an issue of Megan fucking with Shade before the actual fight in a separate issue.
What gets me about the whole thing is that this story has dipped into one of my not-so-favorite tropes:
cosmic pregnancy.
Like...why? Really? The fuck?

Rat Queens #1
Alright we back. We back. While I'm not sure how I feel about the art compared to Fowler (still prefer Upchurch and Seijic), as it seems like it lends itself much more to comedy then serious action, the writing has improved. Much more lighthearted and uplifting, and far less dour and dark. I am wondering what the timeline is.

-Gerard is hanging around, meaning he was saved
-Vi has her sword she got from the dragon's treasure pile.
-Braga references them having been at sea, including Hannah
-No one references Hannah's time as a demon in a prison, though she does make a joke referencing spending time in a magic prison

Regardless, the humor and dialogue is in point. I'm just really confused as to the continuity of the whole thing.

Messi

The timeline for Rat Queens is everything happened except the final issue of the previous run. He took a mulligan on that one.

Rice and Pierce are both in the comics. Rice was co-lead on the project to create Laura and was an abusive, manipulative, cruel, sociopathic, revenge driven shitheel that used her as a weapon. Pierce was a Hellfire Club member who was a mutant-hating cyborg.

Pierce was a Hellfire Club member. I don't recall him being a Reaver (which is what he is in the movie)
Wikipedia said:
Many months later, Pierce is violently liberated from the holding facility. Though his rescuers are never explicitly identified, he resurfaces alongside three members of the Reavers, a band of cyborg criminals which Pierce claims to have built and assembled, and which had recently been all but wiped out by the X-Men. The four of them ally with Lady Deathstrike and three Hellfire Club mercenaries (Cole, Macon, and Reese) who were cybernetically enhanced by Pierce. Under Pierce's leadership, the new Reavers are dedicated to exterminating mutants, with highest priority given to the X-Men and Sebastian Shaw (CEO of Shaw Industries).
I knew I remembered something.

Superman #18
Pretty intense issue and a very interesting way to begin things. Any theories as to
who escaped? New 52 Superman escaped, and Superboy Prime is on Earth?
looking forward as always.
Current main fan theory is
of course Superboy Prime as the fake Kent(which we may all be wrong on) but the escaped one people are unsure on. Some are guessing Mr. Mxyzptlk since reality warping is clearly going on.

Messi

Yeah but that still doesn't answer every question. Oh well I'll take it.

Lemme ask you. Do you really think Wiebe has answers to the questions you have? He wrote himself into a corner and didn't know how to get out of it so he bailed lol. So he restarted. Glad to hear its back to being fun. Thats the way it should be.

I knew I remembered something.

Current main fan theory is
of course Superboy Prime as the fake Kent(which we may all be wrong on) but the escaped one people are unsure on. Some are guessing Mr. Mxyzptlk since reality warping is clearly going on.
So it was later down the line

Also, what's the evidence for
it potentially being Mr. Mxylplk?
Lemme ask you. Do you really think Wiebe has answers to the questions you have? He wrote himself into a corner and didn't know how to get out of it so he bailed lol. So he restarted. Glad to hear its back to being fun. Thats the way it should be.
Fair point.

Jhoan

Hey guys I'm doing an email interview with the creative team behind Assassin's Creed Reflections which isn't out yet but it focuses on the mainline AC characters' side stories. If you guys want me to ask them any questions, post them here and I'll take a few questions from here to submit. I'm hoping to have the article published by sometime this week. In case anyone doubts my credentials, here's my writer activity.

Dusknoir

Hey guys I'm doing an email interview with the creative team behind Assassin's Creed Reflections which isn't out yet but it focuses on the mainline AC characters' side stories. If you guys want me to ask them any questions, post them here and I'll take a few questions from here to submit. I'm hoping to have the article published by sometime this week. In case anyone doubts my credentials, here's my writer activity.

Dude this would be a great thread for game side. A lot of people have questions for overall plot of Assassin creed take haven't been touched on since Ass 3. Make sure you post the cover and the synopsis of book so people could understand what you are talking.

So it was later down the line

Fair point.
Not much.
I can't see it. He's a Superman character, he can make people disappear, he's powerful enough where he probably survived the rebirth of the universe and can tell people about it and he would like to mess with Superdad. I'm expecting something else.

Currently the known prisoners look to be:
  • Doomsday
  • Tim Drake
  • Prophecy
  • Our mystery guy
  • Jay maybe if he isn't locked in the Speed Force
  • Maybe Ray Palmer

Tim was surprised by the two cells next to him so he might know whoever were in them. One of the Joker's maybe?

jurgen

I'm trying to figure out any connection other than Moore between The Button and Swampy. Add in King's teasing of LOSH and Psycho Pirate and you have my full attention.

Other than reality warping and an obsession with Superman, I don't think there's much. The last we saw of him had him as an ally of sorts in Morrison's Action Comics run at the start of New 52. I doubt he has motivation for anything like this, including the romantic obsession with Lois.

Dusknoir

I'm trying to figure out any connection other than Moore between The Button and Swampy. Add in King's teasing of LOSH and Psycho Pirate and you have my full attention.

There was the Superman annual where Swampy cured Superman of his illness caused by coming from a different universe. Maybe that's the connection.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Doc Shaner has said he's game after Future Quest wraps up.
You mean a ongoing with a friendly tone?

I have now read the Monster Society Deluxe and the Thunderworld Issue of Multiversity and I loved it, but was totally outgrossed by the awfull edgie Miniseries that was released in the beginning of All New 52.

Even then its a real shame how DC uses the IP.

Did some catching up this weekend:

Superman #12-16: The Frankenstein story was pretty average, and I don't think I appreciated the Multiplicity arc as much as others probably did.

Motor Crush #2-3: It's a bit of fluff that I enjoy. Love Babs Tarr's art, if nothing else.

Gotham Academy: Second Semester #6: I will always enjoy Gotham Academy.

Justice League of America: Rebirth #1: Okay-ish. I'm not really big on team books, so we'll see how it goes. Also, I hate Lobo.

The Backstagers #7: Filler/setup for the finale.

Super Sons #1: Loooooved this book so much. The art is perfect.

Top Bottom