• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Chiptune Music?

I was diggin around bandcamp recently and have came across a lot of chiptune music and as a fan of video games of course I'm highly diggin it. For those that don't know chiptune is music that basically sounds like music from the 8 or 16-bit era. What are some of your favorite chiptune tracks, artists, and albums out there? You can also include other songs that sound like video game music, but no remixes or covers. I'll make a thread for that another day.

Here's a recent review I did.

Album: Heart on Wave
Artist: Slime Girls

Number of Tracks and Runtime: 8 Tracks & 35 minutes

A very interesting find for me. I was just checking out the front page of bandcamp and came across this cute album cover. I said that shit's cute so I gave it a listen. Oh my gosh, this shit is actually nice. It has a very nice 8 or 16-bit sound with one track that has some trap thrown into it. The sounds range from melodic to nostalgic and heart pumping at the same damn time. The tunes are highly melodic in nature and there is no annoying high pitches that some 8-bit tunes tend to have. There are really only two tracks, but they're remixed well enough to sound almost like completely different songs. After listening to this I don't see how anyone cannot feel like playing a Snezz, NES, or Genesis.

Kawaii As Fuck/10

Notable Track: HEART ON WAVE (astroskeleton remix)

I'd also recommend their first album Vacation Wasteland.

A recent favorite of mine. Art is linked.

dzelly

I'm very partial to Jake Kaufman. Shovel Knight, Ducktales, Shantae and the Pirates Curse, Double Dragon Neon etc.

https://soundcloud.com/virtjk

Saw him perform some of this stuff live earlier this year and he was a very energetic live performer. It was awesome!

The Hermit

Fez_(video_game)_screenshot_04.png
Disasterpeace from Fez is a genius.

And I wouldn't play as much Super Hexagon as I do if it wasn't for Chipzel

mtodavk

I've always been interested in making chiptunes...does anyone know of some good software to do that?

edit: also, I vote Fez for best chiptune music

I don't know about best, but I like Chipocrite

I blind bought his Hit and Run CD a few years ago at MAGfest and liked it a lot.

I actually haven't kept up with him since then, so I'm glad this thread made me look him up and find out that he has a bunch of new stuff out that I've got to listen to.

I've become a big fan of TQ-Jam recently. He recently won the Originals Category in Famicompo Pico (a Famicom music competition) with Frankenstein. mokimaF is a particularly odd one but charming at the same time.

Frankenstein [2A03 + N163]

Everlasting Saturday [2A03]

Promise

Sakura [2A03 + N163]

mokimaF [2A03]

I also compose chiptune myself but all of my work so far are covers. :p

I've always been interested in making chiptunes...does anyone know of some good software to do that?

edit: also, I vote Fez for best chiptune music

I use FamiTracker myself, you can create NES/Famicom music with that. Although you can find music trackers for many systems other than the Famicom. LSDJ for Game Boy is another popular one.

shinn623

Not gaming exactly, but music definitely fits the description of the OP. Glen Check (a korean indie band, only English lyrics so don't worry). Enjoy. Honestly check out their whole Haute Couture album if you can. Lots of good stuff

YMCK is the best (because they were featured in Katamari Damacy, and that's one of my favorite game series' ever). Also, there are vocals, so if you don't want vocals, you can skip this.

Milky Blue
Fruit Song
また歩き出すために
Magical 8bit Tour
Neko Nadetai

Here's their channel for more.

I really like YMCK. I got to meet them at a chiptune concert my friend held a few years ago in Tokyo. I even got their autograph!

Dryk

And I wouldn't play as much Super Hexagon as I do if it wasn't for Chipzel
That's how I found out about her music but I've actually soured a bit on the Super Hexagon EP. Everytime I would listen to it I just listen to Spectra again instead. Super Hexagon is still really good, but I don't put it all that highly on a list of her best.

Munkyspace

I always used to listen to Mix Master Mumf's remixes for the NES Mario music. So simple, but so awesome.

Edit: oops. Just read about no remixes or covers. Shamed. :(

Top Bottom