• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers: Top 10 Nintendo Systems

bengraven

Switch 5 and 9.

Switch 2 and 3, then 3 and 4.

10. Wii U
9. Gamecube
8. 3DS
7. Wii
6. DS
5. GBA
4. N64
3. Gameboy
2. NES
1. SNES

cyba89

In my opinion DS and 3DS should be higher than Gameboy.
From a First-Party perspective 3DS would definitely be the top handheld, but DS had way better 3rd-Party-support and more experimental games, so between these two it's a draw for me.

And N64 is really overrated in this list.

always love it when N64 is super high up on these lists

and by love it I mean "don't fucking understand it at all not even a little bit"

it's like when people are listing off the best consoles ever made and dreamcast is #2 or some shit

i mean hey i like my consoles to have games idk

N64 is too high in that list for my liking. No way is the software outing better than NES and Game Boy.

exactly

if it weren't for N64's genre progenitors the thing's library wouldn't even hold a candle against the GBA's lineup of original titles. And that's saying something

I'd rank it pretty differently:

1) NES
2) Wii
3) SNES
4) N64
5) 3DS
6) GB
7) DS
8) Wii U
9) GCN
10) GBA

NES frankly had the best 1st+3rd party lineup overall.
Wii had a ton of games overall, including real gems like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, and others.
SNES upped the production values but the output wasn't as steady as NES or Wii.
N64 has Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and the last great Rare games.
3DS has some really standout games, but nothing outside of the Zelda remakes that's truly god tier.
GB had great Zelda games and lots of excellent original handheld titles like Pokemon.
DS had a ton of games (like Wii), but they were pretty hit and miss. Great value overall.
Wii U has a really polished lineup, but not enough games.
GCN probably had the most disappointing 1st party lineup (bar Metroid Prime).
GBA had Golden Sun, but otherwise carried too many remakes.

Zalman

This is a load of bullshit and the only possible way you could think this is if you only ever played Nintendo and Square-Enix games.
The Castlevania games were cool. Sonic games were nice. I have a pretty sizable GBA collection, so I'd like to know what games you're thinking of.

The GBA had no main Mario game of its own. Instead, it had 4 Super Mario Advance games. All ports. 3 Donkey Kong Country games. A Link to the Past. Kirby's Adventure got a remake. Metroid too. It even had a dedicated line of NES classics. I feel like the GBA lacks an identity of its own. It was a port machine, and I don't see how anyone can deny that.

1. SNES (100s of quality games)
2.. DS (100s of quality games)
3. NES (100s of quality games)
4. Wii (Homerun with 1st party games, a few quality 3rd exclusives)
5. N64 (Holds its position alone with 1st party, a few quality 3rd exclusives)
6. Gameboy (quality for time, but large amount was shovelware)
7. GBA (even most 1st party games were not that flash, transition from Gameboy to modern handhelds wasnt that kind, makes up in mass amount of games)
8. Gamecube (quality first party and exclusives, limited support after first 3 years from 3rd parties)
9. 3DS (current state of handhelds)
10. Wii U (Nintendo...)

ramparter

Banned
N64 is the like the worst main Nintendo console.
N64 is actually the best I have but I'm willing to give #1 to snes since I didn't have this one.

Would rank them like this (only console I own included):

8. GameBoy Color
7. GameCube
6. 3DS
5. Wii
4. Wii U
3. DS
2. NES
1. N64

The Cowboy

I will always put the NES as the number 1 system, be in in a Nintendo only list or any console list - it pretty much saved gaming (plus it had Mario Bros 3 :D).

rob305

Id say I mostly agree with it. Wii U definitely deserves the last spot on the list. Maybe id swap the GB with the NES but thats it

Putting personal nostalgia to one side, and just considering the number of quality titles from all publishers available, as well as importance to the games industry as a whole, it seems like a pretty accurate list to me.

The Castlevania games were cool. Sonic games were nice. I have a pretty sizable GBA collection, so I'd like to know what games you're thinking of.

The GBA had no main Mario game of its own. Instead, it had 4 Super Mario Advance games. All ports. 3 Donkey Kong Country games. A Link to the Past. Kirby's Adventure got a remake. Metroid too. It even had a dedicated line of NES classics. I feel like the GBA lacks an identity of its own. It was a port machine, and I don't see how anyone can deny that.
I'm thinking of Mega Man Zero, Mega Man Battle Network, Astro Boy Omega Factor, Dragon Ball Advance Adventure, etc. There are so many great third party games on the GBA, boiling down the library to "lol NES / SNES ports" is bananas.

It did have a Mario, it was pretty great and a lot better than its sequels, it was called Mario vs. Donkey Kong. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror was out for it as well. The Minish Cap was out there too. If you only look at ports, that's all you're going to see.

If it's based on games, GCN and GB are way too high and Wii, Wii U, and DS are way too low.

Listen to Max. He speaks the truth.

Wii U has some of the best first-party software ever released. GB suffers from the same issues as the original NES -- that being, some of its games have not aged very well at all.

Probably the only thing I agree with in this list is SNES being the top system. The amount of first and third party quality games on the system is overwhelming.

What? No. The best you can say about GBA is it was an alright SNES port machine. Of course, you could get all those titles and more on the Wii virtual console. Not that I want to get into a list war, but unless the games you play start and end with "pokemon", and perhaps metroid, then I Can't imagine how you would say Wii is worse than GBA at anything

The GBA had three good Metroidvanias (the only Castlevanias's worth playing back then, imho), introduced Advance Wars and WarioWare, it brought Fire Emblem to North America, gave us a new Final Fantasy Tactics, and had that great Astro Boy game. It definitely did have a lot of SNES ports, but I wouldn't call playing some of the best games of all time like FFVI and A Link to the Past on the go as a negative; it was a strength.

The GBA gets no respect.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Watched the video, they put up a good argument for every console. Although they left out Metroid prime on GameCube lol

I think which console you like the best shows your age. Whatever console you played in middle school is your favorite... SNES here.

I guess they aren't counting backwards compatibility? I would have thought the WiiU would be higher than that since it's a pretty solid console on it's own and it can play Wii games. (wait, it can, can't it?)

Wii was way too low, as was the DS. Both had incredibly diverse libraries and easily bested the GameCube, original Game Boy, and N64. The video seems to acknowledge the innovations of the hardware too, however, in which case, the N64 and Game Boy certainly do have there place. But I really think the GC should be quite low on the list. No major innovations and a software library easily worse than the Wii or DS, both that are incredibly unique hardware wise.

What? No. The best you can say about GBA is it was an alright SNES port machine. Of course, you could get all those titles and more on the Wii virtual console. Not that I want to get into a list war, but unless the games you play start and end with "pokemon", and perhaps metroid, then I Can't imagine how you would say Wii is worse than GBA at anything

I mean, no doubt you don't want to turn this into a list war, because it'd be the most concise way to show how off-base you are here. The GBA had way more quality original titles than you think. Enough to put it over the Wii? Arguably. (not to me personally though)

ash_ag

N64 enjoys a very interesting contrast. It's Nintendo's console that held up the least well and with arguably the poorest library, but many of the games that are often honoured as "Best Game of All Time" happen to be N64 titles. Pretty weird.

These days it's seen under a more critical light, and I think that has a lot to do with the Rare titles simply not being seen as Nintendo games anymore by most. When you take these out, almost everything else has been remade / rebuilt / remastered. Some of the Pokémon games still (and probably always will) remain N64-exclusive, though, and there are a few other (mostly licensed) titles that are very much worth-playing. I remember enjoying a couple Star Wars games.

I prefer the Cube over it though, personally. It's also a case of a platform with a disproportionally big amount of masterpieces among its (relatively) few titles, but in a milder version and with more variety.

Tansut

The N64 ages the worst out of all the consoles. From top to bottom, the console itself to the controller. Way too high on that list.

And even though I get why the SNES is at the top, the NES should be at #1.

The GBA had three good Metroidvanias (the only Castlevanias's worth playing back then, imho), introduced Advance Wars and WarioWare, it brought Fire Emblem to North America, gave us a new Final Fantasy Tactics, and had that great Astro Boy game. It definitely did have a lot of SNES ports, but I wouldn't call playing some of the best games of all time like FFVI and A Link to the Past on the go as a negative; it was a strength.

The GBA gets no respect.
Seriously. I didn't even own a single port for my GBA. The port criticism is so stupid.

antitrop

Not trying to turn it into console war, but I always struggle in choosing between SNES and PS1 as the GOAT of all home consoles. On some days I lean towards the former, and others, the latter.90's and early 2000 is the best era for RPG.
It's a toss up between PS1 and SNES, I won't even argue.

Intru

I don't see why they'd rank the N64 so high while the Wii U is last place.

They're in literally the exact same situation. The only good titles are published by Nintendo, and there's not many of them.

I mean, Nintendo screwed up really really badly with the N64 by sticking with cartridges. The third party publishers fled to the Playstation, and the gamers followed them. Nintendo has not been able to recover from this. Even on the Wii very few games aside from first party titles were successful.

The only reasoning I can see for the N64 being high on someone's list is because the titles that were released for it were revolutionary. They shaped the future of gaming, sure, but many of these titles don't hold up very well today.

10. Wii U
9. Game Boy
8. GBA
7. NES
6. N64
5. 3DS
4. Wii
3. Gamecube
2. DS
1. SNES

Admittedly, NES (and to an extend GB) is something I can't really judge fairly.
It's funny how good the DS was, despite Nintendo flagships being weak.

I think which console you like the best shows your age. Whatever console you played in middle school is your favorite... SNES here.

Nah, that would be N64 or GB(A) for me. Fond memories can't mask the low quantity of original quality software retrospectively. Played some SNES as a young kid, but also lots of it much later.

Zalman

I'm thinking of Mega Man Zero, Mega Man Battle Network, Astro Boy Omega Factor, Dragon Ball Advance Adventure, etc. There are so many great third party games on the GBA, boiling down the library to "lol NES / SNES ports" is bananas.

It did have a Mario, it was pretty great and a lot better than its sequels, it was called Mario vs. Donkey Kong. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror was out for it as well. The Minish Cap was out there too. If you only look at ports, that's all you're going to see.
Those are some great games. Not going to deny that. That said, I don't think it holds a candle to other Nintendo systems. There simply isn't enough on the GBA.

Take the Wii, for instance, which it was being compared to before. Two original Kirby games. Two 3D Mario games. Metroid, Punch-Out, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Rhythm Heaven. All good stuff.

Watched the video, they put up a good argument for every console. Although they left out Metroid prime on GameCube lol

Not really. The N64 came out while I was in middle school and it was mad garbage that's why I moved onto PlayStation.

ash_ag

And even though I get why the SNES is at the top, the NES should be at #1.

I get what you mean. The comparison is pretty similar to PS1 vs PS2. NES was a period of self-exploration -- its games created entire genres (not to mention franchises) that still serve as the base of many of today's games. They were incredibly risky, unique and different, and they rarely tried to fit in.

SNES is arguably the most refined console of its extended era. Games like Super Metroid or A Link to the Past are considered the pinnacle of gaming, when their NES counterparts aren't nearly as notable. But there's still a certain charm in NES's imperfectness that puts it above, or at least beside SNES.

Fredrik

That list is... Well N64 should be way down on that list at least in my opinion... And 3DS and WiiU are both better than their predecessor for obvious reasons, backwards compatibility, plus Virtual Console.

1. SNES (Super Metroid, Zelda ALTTP, and Konami/Capcom golden era - It's the best 2D console ever, imo)
2. WiiU (backwards compatible with Wii's gigantic VC retro library with C64, TG16, MegaDrive classics plus some great exclusives, honestly the only thing it's really bad at is selling)
3. 3DS (DS backwards-compatibility means it's pretty awesome by default and it has been climbing with every new Pokémon release)
8. N64 (some hyped PAL games were almost unplayable because slower speed and low famerates, OoT was like 16fps, can't accept that, but Goldeneye was fun and SM64 defined future gen platforming genre)

MrBadger

I feel like nostalgia played a part in the N64 being so high up, especially above the DS, 3DS and Wii U. N64 was a big step up for gaming, sure, but there aren't that many good games on it. At least compared to later systems.

Those are some great games. Not going to deny that. That said, I don't think it holds a candle to other Nintendo systems. There simply isn't enough on the GBA.

Take the Wii, for instance, which it was being compared to before. Two original Kirby games. Two 3D Mario games. Metroid, Punch-Out, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Rhythm Heaven. All good stuff.
The Wii had great first party support. I would argue the GBA did too with games like Metroid Fusion, Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Golden Sun 1 and 2, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, and the already mentioned games prior. Rhythm Heaven started on the GBA and the GBA had two Warioware games.

So on top of the already solid first party that isn't even including ports, it had third party games to fall back on as well.

GameCube is definitely hard to quantify. On the one hand it had plenty of quality software after all was said and done. On the other hand it had less stellar software than the N64 and arguably the Wii. I'd say Melee, Prime and RE4 would top the list for its standout titles.

Top Bottom