• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we going to vote for every new character that shows up in another video game leading to the ballots end?

This has been going on for a long time. People are already campaigning for the new Fire Emblem protagonists and that game is nowhere near completion. Dixie suddenly became a "shoe-in" just because she appeared in Tropical Freeze. Now that relevancy is a non-issue, everybody is voting for K. Rool instead. And the Inklings? Even though I love their designs, they should have to wait their turn. Advance Wars, Golden Sun, and Rhythm Heaven currently have zero representation. Should they Inklings get priority just because they have a new game coming out soon? Bull fucking shit. I don't want this to turn into an advertisement fest. It feels like people are starting to support characters for disingenuous reasons. "X is from a recently released game therefore X deserves to be playable."

Hatchtag

Banned
It's more of jab/joke against people that kept saying that Gengar wouldn't work in the game because he's a ghost type pokemon.

Indeed, Gaming is serious business.

Make Gengar the first character that can go through barriers.
wait how the hell isn't there a character that can do that yet?

Crayolan

This has been going on for a long time. People are already campaigning for the new Fire Emblem protagonists and that game is nowhere near completion. Dixie suddenly became a "shoe-in" just because she appeared in Tropical Freeze. Now that relevancy is a non-issue, everybody is voting for K. Rool instead. And the Inklings? Even though I love their designs, they should have to wait their turn. Advance Wars, Golden Sun, and Rhythm Heaven currently have zero representation. Should they Inklings get priority just because they have a new game coming out soon? Bull fucking shit. I don't want this to turn into an advertisement fest. It feels like people are starting to support characters for disingenuous reasons. "X is from a recently released game therefore X deserves to be playable."

Personally I feel that only relevant characters (or retro reps) should be added to the roster, but I also think characters originating after Smash 3DS's release should be saved for Smash 5.

Make Gengar the first character that can go through barriers.
wait how the hell isn't there a character that can do that yet?

That'd be a pretty useless ability, how many stages even have barriers?

Hatchtag

Banned
Personally I feel that only relevant characters (or retro reps) should be added to the roster, but I also think characters originating after Smash 3DS's release should be saved for Smash 5.

That'd be a pretty useless ability, how many stages even have barriers?

Teleporting diagonally through the bottom part of Battlefield or FD and skipping the ledge process entirely could be pretty damn useful.

Azure J

Replace Lucario with Greninja and I agree. A ghost would far more interesting than aquatic Sheik.
Or replace Rosalina with King Boo. :)

Go away immediately. If you can't see beyond the theme and immediately tell how different Greninja is versus Sheik then I don't know what to say besides that. :lol

Dixie Kong over K. Rool every day. I mean, people can vote for what they want, but I think DKC fans are setting themselves up for disappointment and are backing the wrong horse. I don't think K. Rool is going to be seriously considered at all, and it would be unfortunate if Donkey Kong fans screwed themselves out of a character by pooling together around a character that has no chance instead of one that we know has actually been considered in the past.

Dixie Kong over K. Rool every day. I don't think K. Rool is going to be seriously considered at all, and it would be unfortunate if Donkey Kong fans screwed themselves out of a character by pooling together around a character that has no chance instead of one that we know has actually been considered in the past.

Why would K Rool have no chance? He's far more popular and visually distinct than Dixie.

Someday, I'd like to see Sakurai comment on a whole bunch of characters he had considered in the past, because he must have considered a lot more than the few characters we've known. I mean, what is it right now?

Takamaru
Sukapon
Excitebike
Nintendog
Mach Rider
Ridley
Urban Champion
Bubbles

Balloon Fighter
Dixie Kong

Did I miss anyone else?

When did he talk about these characters?

Javier

Let's not delude ourselves here. Smash Bros. is already an advertisement fest.

Go away immediately. If you can't see beyond the theme and immediately tell how different Greninja is versus Sheik then I don't know what to say besides that. :lol

I was half joking, but Greninja has a lot of wasted potential. He feels too similar to Sheik for my liking, and his neutral B should have been given to Takamaru instead.

Dixie Kong over K. Rool every day. I mean, people can vote for what they want, but I think DKC fans are setting themselves up for disappointment and are backing the wrong horse. I don't think K. Rool is going to be seriously considered at all, and it would be unfortunate if Donkey Kong fans screwed themselves out of a character by pooling together around a character that has no chance instead of one that we know has actually been considered in the past.

She was "considered" to be a tag team partner for Diddy and nothing more. If anything, Sakurai doesn't want Dixie because he thinks she's too similar to Diddy. Whether that's true or not is irrelevant, as we all know that Sakurai does what Sakurai wants. Saying that K. Rool has "no chance" when he's far more popular than Dixie (because he's a more interesting character) is absolute lunacy. Just because K. Rool hasn't appeared in awhile doesn't mean Nintendo no longer owns the character and he will never appear again. Adding him back to the Donkey Kong Country series would be a major selling point for many people, myself included. This ballot proves that there's interest in the character, and Nintendo would be foolish not to respond accordingly. Remember, DLC has to sell.

Neoxon

Yes but he was asking for characters that Sakurai actually commented on it. Did he made any comment on Chorus Kids yet?
Oh, he meant what Sakurai already commented on. Nevermind.

Though it could be nothing, DidYouKnowGaming had to leave out the fact of the data on the Rhythm Heaven rep from their recent Smash Bros. when Xander Mobius did the voice-over. While it could be nothing, it is something to consider.

I was half joking, but Greninja has a lot of wasted potential. He feels too similar to Sheik for my liking, and his neutral B should have been given to Takamaru instead.

She was "considered" to be a tag team partner for Diddy and nothing more. If anything, Sakurai doesn't want Dixie because he thinks she's too similar to Diddy. Whether that's true or not is irrelevant, as we all know that Sakurai does what Sakurai wants. Saying that K. Rool has "no chance" when he's far more popular than Dixie (because he's a more interesting character) is absolute lunacy. Just because K. Rool hasn't appeared in awhile doesn't mean Nintendo no longer owns the character and he will never appear again. Adding him back to the Donkey Kong Country series would be a major selling point for many people, myself included. This ballot proves that there's interest in the character, and Nintendo would be foolish not to respond accordingly. Remember, DLC has to sell.

Similarity huh. We all know how that worked out for smash 4. Dark Pit and Lucina. Not to mention Dr Mario coming back. If anything, sakurai has a preference of making as many characters as possible by making them similar, which helps reduce overall time.

Merc_

I'm pretty sure the DLC will sell regardless of who they use.

RomanceDawn

When people mention Dixie being Diddy's partner in Brawl they tend to generalize it like it would be monkey ice climbers. It's obvious that wasn't the case because Sakurai couldn't get it to work so chances are Dixie would have been a lot more interesting than people give her credit for.

Sure she has Diddy's body type but that's 1 character in the whole cast and her hair gives her a completely different skeleton. Dixie uses her hair way more than Diddy ever used his tail in the source material. Then you have K Rool who could be just as unique as anyone or he could end up with the Ganondorf treatment and made into Dedede clone. Suck things up, massive jump, shoot out spiked balls, flight with multi jump.

Either of them could end up with moves based on another character easily. Though luckily this Smash has given us brand new movesets across the board aside from the last minute clones so I doubt any new character besides Roy would end up a clone or semi clone.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Characters should get in because they're icons, not because of diversity. Like gen 2 - aside from Pichu and maybe Celebi, can any of the gen 2 Pokemon compete?

That's actually a terrible reasoning. Time and time again iconography is just secondary with Smash. And come on, that stifles Pokemon (and Fire Emblem) a lot.

Typhlosion
Feraligatr
Ampharos
Heracross
Tyranitar

I think that stretches things a bit, and Ampharos is one of my top five Pokemon. I mean easily the most notable Pokemon in Smash are from gen 1, and for good reason. If Gengar and any of the five you listed were in Smash, Gengar would easily contend with the most popular of them, and wreck the least popular. That's the thing with Pokemon - sure, there should be balance, but at the same time, it's important that we acknowledge that gen 1 Pokemon are what people usually want most.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think that stretches things a bit, and Ampharos is one of my top five Pokemon. I mean easily the most notable Pokemon in Smash are from gen 1, and for good reason. If Gengar and any of the five you listed were in Smash, Gengar would easily contend with the most popular of them, and wreck the least popular. That's the thing with Pokemon - sure, there should be balance, but at the same time, it's important that we acknowledge that gen 1 Pokemon are what people usually want most.

If we give people what they "want" it'd be a dull, trite thing because it lacks unexpectedness and is merely preaching to the choir.

If we give people what they "want" it'd be a dull, trite thing because it lacks unexpectedness and is merely preaching to the choir.

But what people want in this case is such a general thing that it's absolutely a surprise. Gengar being in a Pokemon-only fighter was a surprise, why wouldn't it be a surprise that it was in a Nintendo fighter?

Ryce

She was "considered" to be a tag team partner for Diddy and nothing more.
She was more than merely "considered." Work was actually done on Dixie, but she was cut because the tag team swap mechanic posed technical issues. The data also suggests she was going to be repurposed into a standalone character since her character ID is down at the bottom of the list with Mewtwo/Roy/Toon Zelda instead of below Diddy Kong.

If anything, Sakurai doesn't want Dixie because he thinks she's too similar to Diddy.
Please stop projecting and pretending to know what Sakurai wants.

Characters should get in because they're icons, not because of diversity. Like gen 2 - aside from Pichu and maybe Celebi, can any of the gen 2 Pokemon compete?

Gen 3 is full of iconic Pokemon and it never got a rep :(

Blaziken, Plusle/Minun, Gardevoir, Deoxys, and now Nintendo is trying to pretend Gallade is a gen 3 Pokemon, so I'd even allow that as well.

Pichu and Blaziken would be perfect. Or Pichu with Plusle/Minun alts. Or anything from Pokemon games released between 1999 and 2006 where there's this huge roster hole for Pokemon. I don't even care if Blaziken is a Captain Falcon clone for god's sakes, just add the karate chicken. He checks all the boxes of a playable Pokemon, iconic, popular, able to realistically fight. :(

Nobody cares about what gen a Pokemon is from, especially Sakurai. Brawl had five gen one pokes and one gen four.

To be fair to Brawl, it only had 4 Pokemon generations out at the time to work with, and Fire Red and Leaf Green had just released a little bit before Brawl, and during Brawl's roster planning stages.

A lot of the Gen 1 reps in Smash are just products of being at the right place at the right time and sticking into the roster. Smash 64 came out at the peak of Red/Blue popularity and Brawl came out at the peak of the resurgence of the first generation with the remakes and the anniversary.

Other than Mewtwo, the gen 1 reps in Smash came out right around times when Gen 1 was super popular. And Mewtwo is timeless (and not consistently in Smash), so he doesn't necessarily count.

I'm not confident if FR/LG didn't come out when it did and wasn't as popular as it was, that Charizard would be in Smash. Or maybe he would be, but he might have been part of a different trio, maybe Feraligatr, Sceptile and Charizard, which would have repped everything at the same time, versus directly referencing Fire Red and Leaf Green as he did in Brawl with Pokemon Trainer. Sakurai had been tossing around the idea for a trainer who used all three Pokemon to fight for awhile, originally for Melee it was going to be the Johto starters, but the technology wasn't there.

Honestly, looking back, Feraligatr, Sceptile and Charizard would have been amazing. Feraligatr as the middle weight, Sceptile as the light weight and Charizard as the heavy weight. I imagine all three would still be in Smash as well. And K Rool fans could use Fera's hypothetical green alt skin to wipe their tears.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
To be fair to Brawl, it only had 4 Pokemon generations out at the time to work with, and Fire Red and Leaf Green had just released a little bit before Brawl, and during Brawl's roster planning stages.

A lot of the Gen 1 reps in Smash are just products of being at the right place at the right time and sticking into the roster. Smash 64 came out at the peak of Red/Blue popularity and Brawl came out at the peak of the resurgence of the first generation with the remakes and the anniversary.

Other than Mewtwo, the gen 1 reps in Smash came out right around times when Gen 1 was super popular. And Mewtwo is timeless (and not consistently in Smash), so he doesn't necessarily count.

I'm not confident if FR/LG didn't come out when it did and wasn't as popular as it was, that Charizard would be in Smash. Or maybe he would be, but he might have been part of a different trio, maybe Feraligatr, Sceptile and Charizard, which would have repped everything at the same time, versus directly referencing Fire Red and Leaf Green as he did in Brawl with Pokemon Trainer. Sakurai had been tossing around the idea for a trainer who used all three Pokemon to fight for awhile, originally for Melee it was going to be the Johto starters, but the technology wasn't there.

Honestly, looking back, Feraligatr, Sceptile and Charizard would have been amazing. Feraligatr as the middle weight, Sceptile as the light weight and Charizard as the heavy weight. I imagine all three would still be in Smash as well. And K Rool fans could use Fera's hypothetical green alt skin to wipe their tears.
Firered and Leafgreen came out in 2004. Diamond and Pearl was 2006. Brawl 2008.

You could say development started in 2005 and the gen 1 remakes were the most recent entries, but we already know from Greninja that Sakurai is able to talk with GameFreak about future representatives.

JoeM86

You could say development started in 2005 and the gen 1 remakes were the most recent entries, but we already know from Greninja that Sakurai is able to talk with GameFreak about future representatives.

Emerald would have been. FRLG came out January 2004, Emerald came out September 2004.

Ryce

Brawl's roster was finalized in July 2005, over a year before the release of Diamond and Pearl. Lucario had already been revealed by that point, but he was the closest thing Pokémon had to a "future representative" at the time.

Azure J

The only Pokemon I've ever really wanted in the series like at a base level was Dragonite because Dragonite is best dragon. That and it's First Movie appearance was this weird level of adorkable for me. :p

She was more than merely "considered." Work was actually done on Dixie, but she was cut because the tag team swap mechanic posed technical issues. The data also suggests she was going to be repurposed into a standalone character since her character ID is down at the bottom of the list with Mewtwo/Roy/Toon Zelda instead of below Diddy Kong.
There is no evidence to suggest that Dixie was ever considered as a standalone fighter. Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy had their own sound files, while Dixie did not. Would I like to see her? Yes. Do I think it's particularly likely? Not at the moment.

Please stop projecting and pretending to know what Sakurai wants.
If Sakurai wanted Dixie in the game that badly, she probably would have been playable by now. Fortunately, the ballot isn't all about Sakurai. If this is indeed a popularity contest, then Dixie will not win.

Ryce

If Sakurai wanted Dixie in the game that badly, she probably would have been playable by now. Fortunately, the ballot isn't all about Sakurai. If this is indeed a popularity contest, then Dixie will not win.
I didn’t say anything about Sakurai badly wanting Dixie in the game. I’m just saying that “Sakurai doesn't want Dixie because he thinks she's too similar to Diddy” is an absolute lie. Sakurai never said or implied anything like that. You’re projecting your own biases onto Sakurai in an effort to elevate K. Rool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom