• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firered and Leafgreen came out in 2004. Diamond and Pearl was 2006. Brawl 2008.

You could say development started in 2005 and the gen 1 remakes were the most recent entries, but we already know from Greninja that Sakurai is able to talk with GameFreak about future representatives.

...so we got Lucario? Not sure where are you aiming with this.

There is no evidence to suggest that Dixie was ever considered as a standalone fighter. Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy had their own sound files, while Dixie did not. Would I like to see her? Yes. Do I think it's particularly likely? Not at the moment.

If Sakurai wanted Dixie in the game that badly, she probably would have been playable by now. Fortunately, the ballot isn't all about Sakurai. If this is indeed a popularity contest, then Dixie will not win.

You know, I'm pretty strongly with you on K. Rool, but posts like these don't help your stance.

Sponge

Banned
Whatever happens, I'm positive we'll get a new Donkey Kong character. A part of me wants Cranky to get in because no one right now would see that coming. He'd fit the old man fighter trope Smash is missing. Plus I wanna bounce on people with my cane.

Actually, if we got Dixie, Cranky, and Bandana Dee we could have 8 player matches where we could take the cast from 3D World (minus Toad) vs the cast from Return to Dreamland, vs the cast from Tropical Freeze. Just mix and match that. I think that would be neat.

Sponge

Banned
King K. Rool fans across this board and Smashboards are really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, I want K. Rool but honestly I think Dixie has a better chance than him. We really don't know how big of a popularity contest this ballot truly is. No one does. I'm not exactly picky though. I'm down for any new Donkey Kong character.

Ryce

I keep seeing people saying Diddy and Dixie were supposed to be a tag team in Brawl, but what's the basis for that?
http://smashboards.com/threads/diddy-dixie-what-could-have-been.144627/
X-DS said:
In the latest Famitsu (Did people stop caring since Brawl came out??), Sakurai is interviewed specifically about the newcomers (limited to those already shown on the Dojo) and mentioned that originally Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong were meant to be a pair character that tagged between each other, but the plan was changed due to difficulties encountered. Here is the actual Japanese text on the subject:

じつは、ディディーコングはディクシーコングとペアで出すつもりでした。タッチするごとで二人を瞬時に入れ替えるようなシステムをつもり。いろいろと難しい部分があって早々とカットしました。

Sakurai's Famitsu columns from the Brawl days can be found here (in Japanese). It's all very interesting, though it's never been translated in full.

I mean, I want K. Rool but honestly I think Dixie has a better chance than him. We really don't know how big of a popularity contest this ballot truly is. No one does. I'm not exactly picky though. I'm down for any new Donkey Kong character.

I just want a Tropical Freeze stage. Couldn't care less whether that comes with a character or not.

I didn’t say anything about Sakurai badly wanting Dixie in the game. I’m just saying that “Sakurai doesn't want Dixie because he thinks she's too similar to Diddy” is an absolute lie. Sakurai never said or implied anything like that. You’re projecting your own biases onto Sakurai in an effort to elevate K. Rool.

Thankfully I never outright stated that what I said was 100% true. It was a hypothesis based on the fact that Dixie is still not a playable character. Is it because Sakurai hates the DK franchise? Is it because they ran out of time and she's being held back as DLC? Or is it because Sakurai couldn't come up with a proper moveset, and thought that she might be too similar to Diddy? It's an educated guess based on precedent. Nothing more. Some Dixie fans are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

"She's similar to Diddy therefore she's easier to make than K. Rool"
"The ballot is a sham and she was planned in advance"

*five minutes later*

"W-what? She wouldn't be a clone. She has her bubblegum gun and her hair."

I would love to see Dixie as a playable character, but I also don't think she's "likely" just because there were some data remnants (ie; her name) in Brawl's file.

L Thammy

Why would Dixie have been planned as a clone or Ice Climber in Brawl? She was paired with Diddy because that's how Donkey Kong Country 2 was. In Donkey Kong Country 2, they operated closer to how the Pokemon Trainer operated in Brawl: you switch to Dixie because you need a longer jump or because Diddy has been knocked out. It makes more sense to assume that she'd have been more like a transformation character, and could be split off like other transformation characters in Smash 4.

There was a team-up attack where Diddy or Dixie used each other as a weapon, which is presumably the technical issue that kept Dixie out in the first place. They'd both have to be on screen, which means each player could have two characters. But it doesn't seem likely that one move would form the basis of their entire gameplay.

While I think the whole "the ballot is a sham" idea is simply not based on reality, was anyone actually saying it in this discussion? I may have missed this post.

L Thammy

As a random aside, I saw a request for Chorus Kids in a Japanese Miiverse post. They used the phrase "Chorus Kids" even though the Japanese name for their game was "Chorus Men". I think Smash fans everywhere have a habit of voting for what-could-have-beens.

Why would Dixie have been planned as a clone or Ice Climber in Brawl? She was paired with Diddy because that's how Donkey Kong Country 2 was. In Donkey Kong Country 2, they operated closer to how the Pokemon Trainer operated in Brawl: you switch to Dixie because you need a longer jump or because Diddy has been knocked out. It makes more sense to assume that she'd have been more like a transformation character, and could be split off like other transformation characters in Smash 4.

There was a team-up attack where Diddy or Dixie used each other as a weapon, which is presumably the technical issue that kept Dixie out in the first place. They'd both have to be on screen, which means each player could have two characters. But it doesn't seem likely that one move would form the basis of their entire gameplay.

See, feel free to disagree with me, but DKC2 seems to - visually, not mechanically - imply a slightly different model than PT or Shielda, something actually between them and Ice Climbers but closer to the latter, where there are two characters on the stage, but you switch the primary one. I've seen this mechanic suggested for other characters, some Fire Emblem couple in particular (and that was before FE13, mind you; no I don't remember the FE characters, sorry), and it does sound like something that would interest a game designer yet could be a relative technical hindrance, especially together with a move involving throwing the other character.

When programming team failed to implement that in an impressing manner (assuming this happened at all) it would sound sensible to take what you had and implement the characters separately. Mind: take what you had. If the tag team as suggested above was thought about, it would be sort of refreshing to have the characters be clones, compared to the rather different sub-movesets of PT/Shielda. That would make Dixie a clone because of the Lucina principle taken to the next level.

This is of course all baseless speculation.

L Thammy

That's exactly how I was imagining it would happen, with the active character being in the back and throwing the active character into the background when they're tagged in. Jumping in for team-up attacks. I don't think there's any reason why that makes Dixie more likely to be a clone, though - Pokemon Trainer (the human) has some unused animations in Brawl which suggest that he was supposed to move along the background of a stage as well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But what people want in this case is such a general thing that it's absolutely a surprise. Gengar being in a Pokemon-only fighter was a surprise, why wouldn't it be a surprise that it was in a Nintendo fighter?

but Gengar is loved? in fact the roster is hilariously shaping up like that fanmade game

Nobody cares about what gen a Pokemon is from, especially Sakurai. Brawl had five gen one pokes and one gen four.

If nobody cares then people wouldn't point that out :p

fuck seniority and fuck only the early folks being allowed, we wouldn't get stuff like Rosalina or Robin due to that mentality

NeonZ

That's exactly how I was imagining it would happen, with the active character being in the back and throwing the active character into the background when they're tagged in. Jumping in for team-up attacks. I don't think there's any reason why that makes Dixie more likely to be a clone, though - Pokemon Trainer (the human) has some unused animations in Brawl which suggest that he was supposed to move along the background of a stage as well.

Doesn't Pokemon Trainer run around a bit in some areas of Subspace Emissary at least?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I feel like to share this POTD message:

The heroic Aura Pokémon, Lucario, joins the battle!! We've increased the influence of Aura this time, so a damaged Lucario is truly a force to be reckoned with. Lucario joined the battle for the first time in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which was released six years ago. The production staff of Brawl worked really hard to expand the character roster--without their efforts, Lucario probably never would have joined the battle.

but Gengar is loved? in fact the roster is hilariously shaping up like that fanmade game

fuck seniority and fuck only the early folks being allowed, we wouldn't get stuff like Rosalina or Robin due to that mentality

Gengar was added to Pokken Fighters by popular request

I'm not sure if I was clear enough. If you put Switched Kong into background, then mechanically there is no "fundamental" difference from Shielda. (I'm pretty sure this is also one of reasons for PT's stamina thing.) Now, I'm aware that's how DKC worked on mechanical grounds. However I am now thinking about a different system where the Switched Kong stays on the main stage. Again, think more Ice Climbers, except with some diferentiation.

I am absolutely clueless what does it have to do with PT running in the backgrounds though.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about you lot but I'd main the shit out of a Gen 2 Pokemon. Johto was by far my favorite Pokemon region and my favorite starters up there with Gen 1.

As much as I'd kill for Feraligatr, Typhlosion, or Tyrannitar (Especially Feraligatr, despite my love of Charizard, Feraligatr is my top favorite Pokemon, and it's not just because he looks like Godzilla), the Gen 2 Pokemon aren't as popular. I'd definitely main/secondary Sceptile as well, favorite Gen 3 starter and he'd fit very well alongside Charizard and Greninga. And I think it's for that reason alone that Sceptile is winning out over any other Pokemon in the exit polls, even if he's not very high on them himself.

I don't know about you lot but I'd main the shit out of a Gen 2 Pokemon. Johto was by far my favorite Pokemon region and my favorite starters up there with Gen 1.

As much as I'd kill for Feraligatr, Typhlosion, or Tyrannitar (Especially Feraligatr, despite my love of Charizard, Feraligatr is my top favorite Pokemon, and it's not just because he looks like Godzilla), the Gen 2 Pokemon aren't as popular. I'd definitely main/secondary Sceptile as well, favorite Gen 3 starter and he'd fit very well alongside Charizard and Greninga. And I think it's for that reason alone that Sceptile is winning out over any other Pokemon in the exit polls, even if he's not very high on them himself.

Gen 2's my fave, agreed. Celebi would be a great character, IMO.

L Thammy

I'm not sure if I was clear enough. If you put Switched Kong into background, then mechanically there is no "fundamental" difference from Shielda. (I'm pretty sure this is also one of reasons for PT's stamina thing.) Now, I'm aware that's how DKC worked on mechanical grounds. However I am now thinking about a different system where the Switched Kong stays on the main stage. Again, think more Ice Climbers, except with some diferentiation.

I am absolutely clueless what does it have to do with PT running in the backgrounds though.

So what does the inactive character do? If they attack along with the active one, it's the Ice Climbers with switching. If they don't do anything except for specific attacks, If they don't do anything except for specific attacks, then they spend a lot of time just being an extra target.

I'm not saying that it can't happen. As you said, this is totally in speculation territory. I just don't think it's reasonable to assume that Dixie would be a clone over a transformation character, especially when we have plenty of the ltter.

Crayolan

Pichu_SSBM.jpg

So what does the inactive character do? If they attack along with the active one, it's the Ice Climbers with switching. If they don't do anything except for specific attacks, then they spend a lot of time just being an extra target.

I'm not saying that it can't happen. As you said, this is totally in speculation territory. I just don't think it's reasonable to assume that Dixie would be a clone over a transformation character, especially when we have plenty of the ltter.
Ice Climbers with switching and tag moves. It could actually be quite a change compared to regular Ice Climbers, since they would have sub-moveset diferences. On the other hand, to facilitate switching often, the moves could possibly end up less different than with ZS/PT.

This is however obviously not happening right now in my opinion, given 3DS can't apparently handle regular Ice Climbers well enough, and also that Diddy is already established as a character. Given the latter, for more or less obvious reasons, I presume stereotypical DKC fan will now pray for Sakurai not revisiting this mechanic in next Smash game... if you know what I mean...
something Northern - muar har har har har har har

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Ice Climbers with switching and tag moves. It could actually be quite a change compared to regular Ice Climbers, since they would have sub-moveset diferences. On the other hand, to facilitate switching often, the moves could possibly end up less different than with ZS/PT.

This is however obviously not happening right now in my opinion, given 3DS can't apparently handle regular Ice Climbers well enough, and also that Diddy is already established as a character. Given the latter, for more or less obvious reasons, I presume stereotypical DKC fan will now pray for Sakurai not revisiting this mechanic in next Smash game... if you know what I mean...
something Northern - muar har har har har har har

You mean Dixie without her trusty sidekick!?

latest

I think anyone, DKC fan or no, wouldn't want this to happen.

If anything, Dixie has enough moveset potential to be on her own. She never made use of the rocket barrels or peanut popguns Diddy has. She'd likely use her hair for attacking and recovery, and her bubblegum for projectiles. At the very most she could be a Luigification of Diddy but that's stretching it. She has a lot more potential just being her own gig. In fact I think it would be harder to make her work as a straight up Diddy clone unless you completely ignore her hair, she also lacks a tail.

Ryce

Dixie would probably animate more like a swordfighter (swinging her ponytail to attack) than Diddy. I think people assume she would be a clone just because of the way she looks.

Muzy72

Banned
K Rool is popular with forum nerds like us, but I'd wager overall Dixie is much, much more popular. K Rool just has a more passionate fan base.

EulaCapra

K Rool is popular with forum nerds like us, but I'd wager overall Dixie is much, much more popular. K Rool just has a more passionate fan base.
This is true. Most of my casual friends and even kid family members know her by name or by "Trixie Kong." Cranky Kong's not even recognizable, only Donkey, Diddy, Dixie. When I show them King K. Rool, they go "WHO. DA. FUQ?"

Unfortunately, Dixie's afflicted with Jennifer Hudson syndrome. You think she's gonna make it all the way and assume others are voting for her, so you toss your vote to your other favorite. But the other person is thinking the same thing and helping out their own favorite.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
http://smashboards.com/threads/diddy-dixie-what-could-have-been.144627/

Sakurai's Famitsu columns from the Brawl days can be found here (in Japanese). It's all very interesting, though it's never been translated in full.
Get masked man
If

I just think how a character plays should be the main deciding factor, not whether he is old or new.

Neiteio

This is true. Most of my casual friends and even kid family members know her by name or by "Trixie Kong." Cranky Kong's not even recognizable, only Donkey, Diddy, Dixie. When I show them King K. Rool, they go "WHO. DA. FUQ?"

Unfortunately, Dixie's afflicted with Jennifer Hudson syndrome. You think she's gonna make it all the way and assume others are voting for her, so you toss your vote to your other favorite. But the other person is thinking the same thing and helping out their own favorite.
Basically this. No way is K. Rool more popular than Dixie outside of insular forum groups.

Ideally we would get both. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with K. Rool. But I want both.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
King K. Rool fans across this board and Smashboards are really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Come on.

Anytime Rool was even mentioned in the Pic of the Day threads several posters would gather to shit on the character from a high distance. I think the recent fervor is fitting.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
There's really no way to guess the ballot as of right now. So far, every exit poll has shown K Rool being far and above more popular than Dixie. For those who voted in the ballot but aren't posting on this exit polls, we can't gauge who they're voting for because they can vote for literally anyone, as the ballot states. I'd reckon 3rd parties are topping the vote. Plus, these "insular communities" are the ones who actually care to rally behind a character and campaign for him/her. For all we know, everyone else who doesn't lurk the various boards could be posting for 100s of different characters individually. K Rool just has a campaign going for him, much more so than Dixie Kong. Isaac, Inkling, Wonder Red, Bayonetta, and plenty others have campaigns going too.

Sadly, every character is still going to be considered at most, just because a character wins the ballot doesn't mean they'll be in Smash, like if Goku or Shrek win. We can really only speculate, campaign, and argue until we know the results. If we ever know the results.

Even though Dixie wouldn't be a clone, she's still just another small, quick monkey. K Rool is large and clumsy, not a monkey, and is a villain and we really need more villains, even more than female reps at this point. We have Bowser, Bowser Jr and company, Ganondorf, kind of Dedede and kind of Mewtwo and... that's it. Wolf and K Rool would add to this villains roster nicely. And even that really isn't an impressive number of villains.

ffs they had to use the Dark Samus alt recolor to fill in as a villain in an event.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
The game is severely lacking in the rotund crocodile department.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Neither is Dixie. :)

Indeed, she's a chimp. Speaking of, isn't Diddy supposed to be Donkey's nephew? How's that possible when DK is a gorilla and Diddy's a monkey? Then again, this is the Kong family tree we are talking about here, and I find it very strange in of itself.

This is why many people believe Funky Kong is an ape, but he is actually half monkey, half ape due to recessive genes from Donkey Kong Jr., his father, and an unknown female monkey for a mother.

honestly you're better off not thinking about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom