• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Roto13

I know nothing about the series, but am a fan of certain VN (not really into anime all that much). The artwork was intriguing and the plot sounds pretty cool. Should arrive just in time for my trip, so should keep me busy on my off-time.

Hoping there isn't a lot of high-pitched giggling and squealing?

Game's too dark for too much squealing, but it's still super anime with lots of cliches so you might not enjoy it if your tolerance for that stuff is low.

Shizuka

Having a Vita copy and both Vita and PSTV are great. I got fed up with watching on my Vita, so I trasferred my save to my PSTV and I'm now playing on my TV.

Per Shizuka's reminder (thanks!), I tried to update the OP. Added new prices, release dates and I updated the review section with all the new reviews. If I'm missing more pertinent info, tell me.

Shizuka

Per Shizuka's reminder (thanks!), I tried to update the OP. Added new prices, release dates and I updated the review section with all the new reviews. If I'm missing more pertinent info, tell me.

Well, you should probably review the FAQ as well, question #1 is already answered and all that.

Game's too dark for too much squealing, but it's still super anime with lots of cliches so you might not enjoy it if your tolerance for that stuff is low.

Dark is good, don't mind the anime cliches so much if the subject matter is interesting. Looking forward to it.

Shizuka

I'm loving the game, but there are times where the scientific talk gets too deep, the game begs me to just skim through the text and keep moving.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'm loving the game, but there are times where the scientific talk gets too deep, the game begs me to just skim through the text and keep moving.

YES!

Sorry you don't like this! But oh god I love it so much and now am very excited. I love all sorts of tech and scifi/magic techno babble.

One of the best parts of Tales of the Abyss. Woooo this is good news

Prelude.

I thought they (and the translators, I guess) did a pretty good job at explaining everything in a brief but exhaustive enough way so that it doesn't feel too boring or too superficial, actually. Maybe it's just because I like that stuff but I don't think it's "too much".

Shizuka

The localization is top-notch and the game does explain the science very well, but when you're almost twenty minutes reading physics and neuroscience talk, it does grow weary.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Had to cancel my pre-order for the time being, considering payday wasn't last week but this Friday. Once I get paid, I'll order it again. Least it gives me time to focus on Danganronpa AE for the time being.

Zalman

Having a Vita copy and both Vita and PSTV are great. I got fed up with watching on my Vita, so I trasferred my save to my PSTV and I'm now playing on my TV.
Yup. For me it's handheld all the way when it comes to visual novels, but it's really cool how you're able to choose how you want to play it with the Vita version.

Shizuka

Why? You should have an autosave from before the branching decision.

I was playing everything without paying attention to trophies, but I might as well take this opportunity to do another playthrough while answering the right emails and stuff to get that out of my way once I finish the game.

Shenmue

Banned
you need to import it either way. only Rice is selling the NA CE as well. they announced that they sold out so i dunno if you can get it anymore. Amazon is getting one with just an artbook. don't think it's the same one.

Ah I see. I wrongly assumed they would have an NA distributor. I guess I should just buy the normal one from Amazon then.

Shizuka, stay away from Remember11 for your own sake. It gives, like, half a year's course of quantum mechanics.

How do multiple endings in this game work? Do you have to replay from the start every time?
No, if you save frequently you can easily get all endings in a single playthrough. It's only getting 100% and just one particular ending that would necessitate a walkthrough. The game makes it quite clear IMO when you are about to get a branch in the story.

Roto13

Shizuka, stay away from Remember11 for your own sake. It gives, like, half a year's course of quantum mechanics.

No, if you save frequently you can easily get all endings in a single playthrough. It's only getting 100% and just one particular ending that would necessitate a walkthrough. The game makes it quite clear IMO when you are about to get a branch in the story.

Well, one ending is determined by an email in like chapter 2 or something. So you'll need to play from at least before that point.

epmode

I'm in Chapter 4. I kind of despise the main character. This might not have been a good purchase.

I agree with the people complimenting the @channel translation. First rate localization.

Shizuka

I'm in Chapter 4. I kind of despise the main character. This might not have been a good purchase.

I agree with the people complimenting the @channel translation. First rate localization.

Pull through. He's insufferable, but he gets better after chapter 5.

OMG Aero

Pretty much everyone in this thread who I've seen mentioning that they hate Okabe (myself included) turns around on him in the end, so play through to the end of the game before you regret your purchase.

Roto13

The only reason Okabe gets less annoying is because the second half of the game is too intense for as much stupid mad scientist bullshit.

Jachaos

So I just got up to the part where
I went back in time 48 hours to try and fix the time machine and now know who John Titor is. This last portion of the game has been really intense what with the message threat, the killing of Mayuri and then the constant time leaps. Stark contrast from what it had been up until now. I did see a number of small details coming like the other non-Anonymous name on @channel being Kurisu but the larger direction of the story had escaped me so far. There's still a lot I don't get. The direct connection to SERN being one of them and how Kurisu knew where our lab was right off the bat. But there's stuff I suspect like Suzuha being my daughter or Nakabachi's or something. I really hope I don't have to go back to the timeline where Kurisu gets killed to have Mayuri be saved.

Some of the D-Mail stuff was weird. It took a while for Okabe to catch on to Lukako switching to a girl (and how it might result with the IBN not being there anymore - it was the first thing I thought when he suggested becoming a girl. How he was not going to be living the same thing and thus we might not get the IBN) and the Akihabara change by Faris didn't seem to have the same kind of impact I thought it would (lab being relocated and/or Itaru losing his reason for joining because the hostess club isn't near the lab anymore, etc.) but it's been cool to see the progression and I really love it right now. Between this, Virtue's Last Reward and Life is Strange over the past three months, feels like I've been on an unintentional streak with time mechanics and it's been great..

20cent

Banned
got one ending, get disappointed, find out the game has 6 of them, lol

I still haven't finished the game, but I have a question about how
to reach the end, no spoiler please

If I want to unlock every "true ending flags", assuming that I didn't get the first one and they have to be unlocked in sequence, do I have to replay the game since that chapter til the end?

Shizuka

It'd be helpful if you guys were to explain which are the spoilers you're hiding behind the spoiler tags, like (chapter 8 spoilers) or (true ending spoilers).

Wichu

If I want to unlock every "true ending flags", assuming that I didn't get the first one and they have to be unlocked in sequence, do I have to replay the game since that chapter til the end?

Yep. It's a pain, but you can use it to catch up on alternate scenes you missed too (e.g.
I missed the Nao scene in Chapter 9
the first time I played through the game).

20cent

Banned
Yep. It's a pain, but you can use it to catch up on alternate scenes you missed too (e.g.
I missed the Nao scene in Chapter 9
the first time I played through the game).

Aww alright, thanks. I hope that the skip function will help (haven't tried it out yet)

BTA

Copy finally arrived, but I don't want to start if I'm just gonna get hooked by Ultra Despair Girls tomorrow.

Except my copy of Ultra Despair Girls doesn't seem like it's arriving on time.

So... I might fall into temptation. I'm looking forward to finally sharing this ride with everyone!

LProtag

My copy will be in this week, but I'm super busy with work. Might not be able to play much and will probably have to take it slow. I'll probably try to find a guide to get all the endings with as little time spent as possible.

Jachaos

So, I just got finished with the
Suzuha
ending.
The bit with Moeka and SERN was very intense and I find the groundhog day part was very well executed. You really felt like you were becoming numb just as Okabe was. I also am pissed it took me until the start of Chapter 6 to realize Okarin is the first three letters of Okabe Rintaro.

Where do I go from here? How do I get the other endings? Do I just press start and play through it again? I didn't really notice how I could've done anything different at any point.

epmode

Where do I go from here? How do I get the other endings? Do I just press start and play through it again? I didn't really notice how I could've done anything different at any point.

Just follow a guide. There's virtually no way you'd find the true end on your own.

Speaking of which, the game should at least allow you change your mind before sending an email reply. It's pretty nuts that you just have to click on a hyperlink and hope for the best.

Jachaos

Just follow a guide. There's virtually no way you'd find the true end on your own.

Speaking of which, the game should at least allow you change your mind before sending an email reply. It's pretty nuts that you just have to click on a hyperlink and hope for the best.

Thanks! Any good spoiler-free one?

epmode

If you play it like you're supposed to play a VN, then, yes, there's a way.

Paper, pen and start making a flowchart.

Nuts to that. It requires several precise email replies to seemingly innocuous messages. And there's no way to even preview the message you're about to send before the idiot sends it.

So yes, it's technically possible to make my own flowchart. I just don't hate myself that much.

Thanks! Any good spoiler-free one?

Not sure about spoiler free but these are good so long as you don't skip ahead:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/steinsgate-complete-walkthrough-get-all-the-endings-and-achievements
http://steins-gate.wikia.com/wiki/Steins;Gate_100%_Completion_Walkthrough

Jachaos

You're going to need to do the majority of the game at least twice to get all of the endings anyway. No need to use a guide while there's still stuff left to spoil for you.

Alright cool, so if I understood correctly I start another playthrough blind once again as there will be new content (like in a NG+) and only after that do I use one of those guides. Thanks everyone.

None of the popular guides are really all that full of spoilers anyway, not unless the general structure of the game counts as a spoiler (which it shouldn't.)

Roto13

Alright cool, so if I understood correctly I start another playthrough blind once again as there will be new content (like in a NG+) and only after that do I use one of those guides. Thanks everyone.

No, it's the same game the second time. No New Game +, except for the fact that you can skip all of the text you've already read.

Top Bottom