• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Joe Molotov

(Late Game Spoilers)
In one worldline, Daru says he hopes his future wife is a petite girl with big boobs, but in another worldline he says he wants a twintailed, flat-chested tsundere.

Butterfly Effect, ya'll.

Jachaos

I'm an emotional wreck right now. I just finished
Mayuri's
ending. Very well done. I apparently have two endings left. I suspect one of them is with
Moeka
but even though I tried to get it, the opportunity didn't seem to be there. Maybe I missed something. Or maybe it's not an ending. And then I guess there's the true ending, which I guess is
the Kurisu ending

I'm an emotional wreck right now. I just finished
Mayuri's
ending. Very well done. I apparently have two endings left. I suspect one of them is with
Moeka
but even though I tried to get it, the opportunity didn't seem to be there. Maybe I missed something. Or maybe it's not an ending. And then I guess there's the true ending, which I guess is
the Kurisu ending

If you want to know

Kurisu Ending

True End

You can get both at the same time just by getting True

Jachaos

Very tempted by this game. Should I wait for a sale?

I didn't and I love it so far. I have a few of the endings and it's been great to have this while I wait on Life is Strange Ep. 5 for a time-related narrative fix. Crazy how I also played Virtue's Last Reward for the first time 3 months ago too. Different styles but all interesting and time-related. It's not a conscious effort at doing a LTTP on all these either, it just happened this way.

Anyway, I find it was worth the price but if you feel you won't be overwhelmed by new releases later on then you could wait. I just felt like right now was the best time for me to play it.

Big Brett

I didn't and I love it so far. I have a few of the endings and it's been great to have this while I wait on Life is Strange Ep. 5 for a time-related narrative fix. Crazy how I also played Virtue's Last Reward for the first time 3 months ago too. Different styles but all interesting and time-related. It's not a conscious effort at doing a LTTP on all these either, it just happened this way.

Anyway, I find it was worth the price but if you feel you won't be overwhelmed by new releases later on then you could wait. I just felt like right now was the best time for me to play it.

Welp, broke my Vita while cleaning. Guess I'll be waiting on this one. Found out the screen was broken as I was going to purchase it :(

Jachaos

Just finished it. Wow is all I can say. Amazing ride. Give me some time to gather my thoughts.

Welp, broke my Vita while cleaning. Guess I'll be waiting on this one. Found out the screen was broken as I was going to purchase it :(

Oh, shit. That's too bad :( You could go for another version like the PS3 one but I don't know how you feel about playing on a home console.

I have a very limited gaming budget for the rest of 2015.

I have no doubt that it's good, but what I want to know is if it's 39.99 good? Talking about the Vita version, btw.

Roto13

I've played 999, and some of the early Ace Attorney's, but not Zero Escape or the Daganronpas. Are they considered a tier above Steins;Gate?

Maybe the STeins;Gate OT isn't the right place to find that out, but I liked all of those more than I liked Steins;Gate. This game takes too long to get going and while it does get really interesting eventually, it's never quite as good as Virtue's Last Reward or Danganronpa.

Jachaos

I have a very limited gaming budget for the rest of 2015.

I have no doubt that it's good, but what I want to know is if it's 39.99 good? Talking about the Vita version, btw.

I haven't played AA but have played the Zero Escape and Danganronpa ones. I can't really make a choice, I love them all. You could say this one is a slowburner but then so are 999/VLR. I actually didn't feel that way for either of them but others' opinions seem similar in that sense. When you get halfway through, the dominos start to fall. I just enjoy the set-up part of the dominos more than others I guess.

As for whether it's worth 40$, it's all relative. I can't really answer that question. For me it was, maybe it won't be for you. It has my favourite ending(s) of any Visual Novels for what it's worth. The voice acting there is stellar even if I don't understand Japanese. The emotions come through and the meaning's written in English anyway. I love the main character's development. Basically I love this game. Finished it today but am glad I picked it up.

Shizuka

I've played 999, and some of the early Ace Attorney's, but not Zero Escape or the Daganronpas. Are they considered a tier above Steins;Gate?

Those games thrive in getting batshit crazy. While Steins;Gate does get crazy, I love how it never resorts to the craziness in order to stand out. I love all the games you mentioned, but Steins;Gate does effortless crazy while keeping it real, I just love it.

I'd put Steins:Gate comfortably ahead of all of those titles, especially VLR. But I don't think the Zero Escape Series is Uchikoshi at his best, and while i like the first Danganronpa game quite a bit, it's not better written than S:G.

Those games thrive in getting batshit crazy. While Steins;Gate does get crazy, I love how it never resorts to the craziness in order to stand out. I love all the games you mentioned, but Steins;Gate does effortless crazy while keeping it real, I just love it.
Well if you value twists over everything else, then yeah those other games have more of those.

Roto13

I haven't played AA but have played the Zero Escape and Danganronpa ones. I can't really make a choice, I love them all. You could say this one is a slowburner but then so are 999/VLR.

Steins;Gate takes half a game to get interesting. 999 and VLR are interesting right off the bat. I would never call 999 or VLR a slow burn. 999 begins with an escape sequence from a room that's filling with water before you drown, for god's sake.

VLR fixes some of it, but 999 suffers from some pretty severe pacing and structural problems. Filler routes and all the repetition really drag it down. Pacing is Uchikoshi's Achilles' heel, most of his works have problems there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My main issue with 999 (which thankfully was fixed in VLR) was having to replay the damn game so many times from the beginning just to get to a new path/ending. VLR thankfully had that flow chart & didn't force you to start from the very beginning each time & replay puzzles you already solved. It didn't help in order to scroll through text quicker, you had to hold RIGHT on the D-pad which was painful at times due to how long you'd have to press it to get to the next puzzle or new text you haven't seen.

I assume S;G doesn't have this issue? I can just choose which chapter to start from once I've completed it once?

VLR fixes some of it, but 999 suffers from some pretty severe pacing and structural problems. Filler routes and all the repetition really drag it down. Pacing is Uchikoshi's Achilles' heel, most of his works have problems there.

To be fair, pacing is a problem with most VN writers; it's like there aren't any editors working with them.

Firestar

My main issue with 999 (which thankfully was fixed in VLR) was having to replay the damn game so many times from the beginning just to get to a new path/ending. VLR thankfully had that flow chart & didn't force you to start from the very beginning each time & replay puzzles you already solved. It didn't help in order to scroll through text quicker, you had to hold RIGHT on the D-pad which was painful at times due to how long you'd have to press it to get to the next puzzle or new text you haven't seen.

I assume S;G doesn't have this issue? I can just choose which chapter to start from once I've completed it once?

There are quick-saves at each chapter you just use. It saves the overall progress you made across playthroughs

cj_iwakura

I wonder, did the dating sim spin-off add a
----Moeka----
ending? Always was sad the original game didn't have one, though I totally get why.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There are quick-saves at each chapter you just use. It saves the overall progress you made across playthroughs
Thank goodness. I feel much more motivated to check out all the endings if I don't have to slog through all the stuff I already did/read multiple times, especially from the beginning.

Hee-ho

Neo Member
I actually just started watching it a few minutes ago. Maybe I'll just play it, I dunno. I'm liking what I've seen so far.

That banana scene from the game is what got me interested in watching the anime.

Firestar

Thank goodness. I feel much more motivated to check out all the endings if I don't have to slog through all the stuff I already did/read multiple times, especially from the beginning.

Yeah, just use start to skip everything you've seen and it'll stop at decisions.

Dsyndrome

I'm in Chapter 3 when all the experiments are coming together and everyone getting let in on stuff. I keep waiting for someone to actually be part of a conspiracy (one person in particular) and Okarin to start laughing maniacally when his beliefs are justified.

Jachaos

I'm in Chapter 3 when all the experiments are coming together and everyone getting let in on stuff. I keep waiting for someone to actually be part of a conspiracy (one person in particular) and Okarin to start laughing maniacally when his beliefs are justified.

Who (in spoiler tags) ? :) Interested as that was me a week ago.

Dsyndrome

Who (in spoiler tags) ? :) Interested as that was me a week ago.
Gotta be
Moeka, just the way she acts about everything. Second guess would be Part Time Warrior, but I feel like she more likely was wronged by Christina and and not so much SERN spy

I'd put Steins:Gate comfortably ahead of all of those titles, especially VLR. But I don't think the Zero Escape Series is Uchikoshi at his best, and while i like the first Danganronpa game quite a bit, it's not better written than S:G.

Well if you value twists over everything else, then yeah those other games have more of those.

Going strictly on writing (and not factoring in that those other titles all have game play moments which can push the needle somewhat compared to Steins;Gate being a straight visual novel), I agree.

Steins;Gate has a better overall story, and better writing. Okabe's character arc is significantly better than anyone from 999, VLR, Danganronpa, etc. I'd be comfortable putting Okabe's arc in the discussion for the best among all games.

I'd also ague that the story is much better paced (yes, the first half is slower, but it's necessary setup and it builds up the characters well), and has a better payoff. The true ending is an experience unlike any other, and while 999 and VLR certainly beat it in the 'twists' department, in terms of the overall arc, composition, and thematic resonance, I have to give Steins;Gate the edge.

Jachaos

Gotta be
Moeka, just the way she acts about everything. Second guess would be Part Time Warrior, but I feel like she more likely was wronged by Christina and and not so much SERN spy

Alright, looking forward to keeping on tabs on this thread now that I've finished it!

I'd be comfortable putting Okabe's arc in the discussion for the best among all games.

Agreed. I haven't fully thought about everything over yet but that is one thing I'm sure of. Especially considering all of the possible choices and endings, I feel it's on point.

Okay, what volume settings are everyone using? Default is obviously way too low, but setting everything to max leads to scenes where cicadas are drowning out the actual dialogue.

I've got voice 100%, BGM 75%, and SE 50% at the moment. Kurisu still seems inaudible, but maybe that's just some characters.

Shizuka

Okay, what volume settings are everyone using? Default is obviously way too low, but setting everything to max leads to scenes where cicadas are drowning out the actual dialogue.

I've got voice 100%, BGM 75%, and SE 50% at the moment.

I just increased voice compared to the other ones, it was just too low for me.

Clov

Got to the part where (Chapter 4 spoilers)
Kurisu keeps hanging up on Okabe. I actually found it funnier in the VN than the anime for some reason.

Man, because of Steins;Gate Zero, I decided to replay this game (and, also because of NA version release).
It's been like 5 years since I finished it, so I have forgotten a good chunk of the story/game, but it was still very very fun, especially going through that "True End" moment again.

Now, I'm sooo hyped for Steins;Gate Zero, and TGS, November can't come soon enough.

And, check out this awesome Divergence Meter
1IlrfiQ.png

Jachaos

Man, because of Steins;Gate Zero, I decided to replay this game (and, also because of NA version release).
It's been like 5 years since I finished it, so I have forgotten a good chunk of the story/game, but it was still very very fun, especially going through that "True End" moment again.

Now, I'm sooo hyped for Steins;Gate Zero, and TGS, November can't come soon enough.

And, check out this awesome Divergence Meter
1IlrfiQ.png

Hah, that looks pretty cool

I have nothing much to add but when Rintaro yells (very light early on spoilers)
"Where did you go? Banaana! BANAAANA!"
it cracked me up haha.

Top Bottom