• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

TheChaos0

I do agree about the endings having too much forced romance in them. I think if the endings would be just like
Suzuha's
it would've been better. Her ending doesn't have forced romance and ends up being great for it.

I would have preferred more endings like that and more variety in situations that would lead to these endings. Not just
to send the message or not to send it

Holy shit.

Here I was thinking that the game had a really light tone.

Then
I just reached the part when Moeka invades the Lab and it all goes to Hell! Mayuri death, Okabe despair, what a turn of events! Although I never trusted Moeka in the first place

Niflheim

Neo Member
Just completed yesterday ( all the ending and the true one) and well it was a very cool experience.
First visual novel ever for me and in the beginning I was not sure that my choice to buy it was right (I saw the anime and like it a lot btw, but forgot quite a lot about it, just remember the general plot was around time traveling).
Sure the plot is interesting but the whole science subject around it completely overwhelmed me, have to go every minute in the tips section for some explanation.
And the start is super slow with lot of dialogs that are not that interesting (sure they have to pose the atmosphere but really it fell kinda light for me).

I was tempted to drop it after completed the chapter 3, feel like this game wasn't for me (and the minimal interaction don't help, yeah I know we're in a visual novel...).

But I felt that I had to dig in, I've loved the anime, no way the visual novel can disappoint me, maybe that was just a problem whit the flow of the game.

I keep up quite bored until the first ending came on
Suzuha's one, with
And wow, the shock, I don't know why but I felt touched by it and I decided that I had to tried to get some other one.
And I started to getting more involved by all the casual dialogs, more attached to the characters...and so on.
Don't know really why but it just happened.

Just wish to say to some peoples that are tempted to ditch it like I was to keep trying, reach an ending, whatever it is and you will maybe have a fresh start and see the game differently.

Anyway great game, great first experience with the visual novel genre and I'm willing to dig more about it.

suikodan

Holy shit.

Here I was thinking that the game had a really light tone.

Then
I just reached the part when Moeka invades the Lab and it all goes to Hell! Mayuri death, Okabe despair, what a turn of events! Although I never trusted Moeka in the first place

I'm currently [reading] it and I'm a little past that point. The first chapters were very long (and boring) but I'll admit that I want to see this story to the very end.

Though, about your spoiler, I wonder if it changes anything if
you never reply to Moeka about the Time Machine...

Having a lot of trouble getting into this. About 3-4 hours in, only on Chapter 2, but man it is boring. I heard it was a slow start but I did not think it would be this slow.

suikodan

Having a lot of trouble getting into this. About 3-4 hours in, only on Chapter 2, but man it is boring. I heard it was a slow start but I did not think it would be this slow.

I'll be honest, I fell asleep more than once and has regrets about my purchase a lot during the first chapters. But at one point (you'll know when), things get WAY more interesting yet it implies more reading to which I don't fall asleep to since it's captivating.

I know from now that I'm not a fan of VNs (I'll watch the animes if available instead) but I want at least to watch this one through!

Dsyndrome

Man, they're really pushing the Lukako's a guy thing this chapter. Felt like it spent an hour plus of Mayushi dressing him up and him acting awkward.

Do like the messed up music every time something's changed, and Rintaro comes to the realization that something's not right.

I'm currently [reading] it and I'm a little past that point. The first chapters were very long (and boring) but I'll admit that I want to see this story to the very end.

Though, about your spoiler, I wonder if it changes anything if
you never reply to Moeka about the Time Machine...

Can't remember if any of those replies are mandatory or not.

Will have to play again lol

Rich!

Started playing this last night.

....have they seriously allowed words to break and split between numerous lines onscreen? How on earth could they fuck up the dialogue display that bad?

Please don't tell me its like this all the way through.

zakujanai

....have they seriously allowed words to break and split between numerous lines onscreen? How on earth could they fuck up the dialogue display that bad?

I wish I still had my old Softbank budget cell phone to take a picture of. If you used it in English the text looked exactly like that in S;G, it made it bizarrely authentic for me.

Yeah, no idea how it passed QA, but it does make sense from a technological standpoint -- only contractions are being split up, because they contain punctuation.

Just got to (Chapter 5 spoilers)
where Moeka came in and shot Mayuri...
and had to stop playing for a bit. Caught some serious feels.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I went through the VN
Then watched the anime adaptation
Saw the OVA
....and then saw the final movie.

So I thought the VN and the anime were pretty good.

But dat movie doe

Right in the goddamn feels. Holy shit. Very, very few pieces of media can actually affect me emotionally like that.

Tagg9

So I went through the VN
Saw the OVA

But dat movie doe

Right in the goddamn feels. Holy shit. Very, very few pieces of media can actually affect me emotionally like that.

Great to hear. I'm still waiting for Funimation's dub of Deja Vu, but at this point I'm afraid it may never come out.

So I went through the VN
Saw the OVA

But dat movie doe

I did not know this had a full-fledged movie. I should've guessed, with how great it is and all. I didn't even know it existed until I fell asleep and Hulu started autoplaying it after I was done with whatever. Woke up midway through the 3rd or 4th episode and they were talking about CERN and black holes and I just had to restart whatever this curious anime was. Have yet to play the game though, and it's killing me!

ZealousD

Great to hear. I'm still waiting for Funimation's dub of Deja Vu, but at this point I'm afraid it may never come out.

Personally I think the movie might be a bit better for you if you watch it while the VN and the extra anime OVA are fresh in your mind. The movie doesn't really bother to recap what happened and there are several scenes that reference both the VN and the extra anime OVA in passing. If you forget any scenes you might not catch how the movie connects to them.

I did not know this had a full-fledged movie. I should've guessed, with how great it is and all. I didn't even know it existed until I fell asleep and Hulu started autoplaying it after I was done with whatever. Woke up midway through the 3rd or 4th episode and they were talking about CERN and black holes and I just had to restart whatever this curious anime was. Have yet to play the game though, and it's killing me!

Wow, so it randomly started autoplaying? I guess it was the choice of Steinsgate! ;)

Clov

It's got to come out eventually.

I hope. Please don't let it be stuck in limbo like Evangelion 3.33.

It will come out here eventually, but it could take a bit. Funimation licensed the movie from Kadokawa, who they don't have the best relationship with. There's typically a long holdback period for any of Funimation's titles that they've gotten from Kadokawa. So it will come out, you'll just have to keep waiting...

Tagg9

Personally I think the movie might be a bit better for you if you watch it while the VN and the extra anime OVA are fresh in your mind. The movie doesn't really bother to recap what happened and there are several scenes that reference both the VN and the extra anime OVA in passing. If you forget any scenes you might not catch how the movie connects to them.

Good to know, but it would be weird to transition to Japanese VA now that I'm used to the English VAs. Having said that, it might be worth a rewatch right before the movie officially comes out here in North America.

Redhood

So I started this game yesterday on the Vita.

Boy oh boy does it start slow. The antics of the MC
about being a mad scientist and an organization out to get him show the height of his delusion and are cringe worthy
. Love his VA though. However the opening prologue
with the murder of the girl was cool
. Plus the Scifi lecture was really good. Now at
Nyan maid cafe

ZealousD

Boy oh boy does it start slow.

It does have quite a bit of setup. It all ends up paying off, though. There's going to be a major event in the story (you'll know it when it happens) and it'll all start to pay off as you go through the rest of it after that.

kama

My US LE finally arrived today. I don't know what caused the delay, it seems I got my copy several weeks later than most people in this thread. But it kinda worked out ok that way, because now I'm mostly done with MGSV and can devote my time to Steins;Gate. See ya'll on the other side.

Can't remember if any of those replies are mandatory or not.

Will have to play again lol

I'm on my second playtrough,
got the Suzuha ending the first time
and yes those replies are automatic.

That is one thing that bothers me. We have so little free choice!
I tried to ignore every single email Moeka dents me, but then Okarin automatically picks up the phone and informs her that he has an IBN5100!
!

Why?! It's so frustrating to see that happening again!!

zakujanai

I'm on my second playtrough,
got the Suzuha ending the first time
and yes those replies are automatic.

That is one thing that bothers me. We have so little free choice!
I tried to ignore every single email Moeka dents me, but then Okarin automatically picks up the phone and informs her that he has an IBN5100!
!

Why?! It's so frustrating to see that happening again!!

It was frustrating the first time. I wanted to choose not to tell them then. Those are the kind of choices I hoped the game would have me making, not
which girl I like most.

Certinty

Finally got around to completing this. Bought it a month ago and played 2 hours and got bored. Anyway 5 days ago I started playing it again and got utterly addicted and just completed it tonight. Easily the best visual novel I've ever read and one of the best story games. Absolute masterpiece in all honesty.

zakujanai

Finally got around to completing this. Bought it a month ago and played 2 hours and got bored. Anyway 5 days ago I started playing it again and got utterly addicted and just completed it tonight. Easily the best visual novel I've ever read and one of the best story games. Absolute masterpiece in all honesty.

The word "masterpiece" is thrown around much too lightly these days.

Burnburn

I was reading a mail I got from ricedigital (I was bored at work okay) and at the bottom of the mail was this paragraph:

"Wow! Steins;Gate has been doing pretty well in North America too now, and orders are still going out. It's great to see how successful the game has been and to be a key part of that! Of course, we couldn't do it without the support of everyone reading this. Treat yourself to something!"

I know it was kinda known the game did well in EU, but it's nice to hear it's doing well in NA too! I don't know how much ricedigital knows of the sale figures, but it seems like it has atleast done well for them. More science adventure team games please!

Oh and i'm definitely going to treat myself to something nice.

LProtag

So I got my first ending. What's the best way to go about playing through it again to minimize the time it takes to get all the other ones?

Will the skip feature stop me at all the important points now that I've already played through a chunk of the game?

zakujanai

So I got my first ending. What's the best way to go about playing through it again to minimize the time it takes to get all the other ones?

Will the skip feature stop me at all the important points now that I've already played through a chunk of the game?

If it's the first ending must people get, load your nearest save from the end of chapter 6, choose to send and then carry on.

Only the true ending will require you to restart. You will need a guide because the triggers are insanely easy to miss for that one. Skip will stop whenever you can reply to a message you can just power through.

LProtag

Alright, finally beat the game. I think I liked the Zero Escape and Dangan Ronpa games a bit better, but this was quite enjoyable.

I need to play more VNs.

Got my first ending.
Suzuha.
I liked it since she is my favorite so far, but I'm sort of getting tired of having to see the same scenes so many times in the same playthrough. I get that it's pretty mush required for the narrative and emotional impact, but it does get tedious.
The only reason I wound up at this ending is because I'm awful at realizing certain bits of text are meant to prompt me to open my phone, haha. I've missed calling or texting so many people.

Got my first ending.
Suzuha.
I liked it since she is my favorite so far, but I'm sort of getting tired of having to see the same scenes so many times in the same playthrough. I get that it's pretty mush required for the narrative and emotional impact, but it does get tedious.
The only reason I wound up at this ending is because I'm awful at realizing certain bits of text are meant to prompt me to open my phone, haha. I've missed calling or texting so many people.
You can fast forward in additional playthroughs so you don't have to see all the scenes again. It will stop when you get an email or have to make a choice.

You can fast forward in additional playthroughs so you don't have to see all the scenes again. It will stop when you get an email or have to make a choice.

Yes, I've already done so to get back to the choice that got me my first ending and I fully intend to heavily use that feature in the future. I'm moreso talking about
Seeing the day of Mayuri's death like four times and having to read through the same exact dialogue each time. Then in the Suzuha ending having to replay that day about three times doing the same stuff until minor changes happened.

Yes, I've already done so to get back to the choice that got me my first ending and I fully intend to heavily use that feature in the future. I'm moreso talking about
Seeing the day of Mayuri's death like four times and having to read through the same exact dialogue each time. Then in the Suzuha ending having to replay that day about three times doing the same stuff until minor changes happened.

The part where
Okabe relives the day of Mayuri's death as if it had all been a dream
can actually be skipped entirely
if you decide to call Mayuri

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If Amazon can actually ship my copy that I ordered on Sunday, hoping to play this later this month, considering how much of a backlog I have.

Top Bottom