• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

cj_iwakura

So there's no thread to talk about Steins;Gate 0 is there?

People on /a/ are watching someone stream it and it's quite...interesting.

I'll only say the guy got one bad end, and after continuing something else happened...I'll post a link to my screenshot of the reaction if you're curious.

SPOILER FOR 0:
http://i.imgur.com/1maOSka.png

Reading Steiner was posting some effed up stuff on his twitter feed, no warning either.

I think that was Moeka.

Reading Steiner was posting some effed up stuff on his twitter feed, no warning either.

I think that was Moeka.

Speaking of Reading Steiner, his two cents on Zero:

Reading Steiner β ‏@DistantValhalla 5h5 hours ago
Zero is a masterpiece. Having experienced it through to the True End, I can say that now. It has surpassed the original in every measure.

I honestly went into it expecting Phenogram-tier milking, a crummy cash-in on three pretty decent novels. I was apprehensive the whole way.

What I found was a masterfully structured title with sublime execution, more than happy to call it my favourite title in the SciADV Series.

<--- also stole this Punished Okabe avatar from /a/ lewl

So finally something good has come of all the Steins:Gate milking. I hope we get it in English some day, as I don't really care for White Fox's anime adaptations all that much.

Prelude.

Better than the original? Hmm.
Maybe he should wait a bit before saying that, that reads more like he's just surprised it wasn't shit.

But if it's that good it might be really hard reaching the (possible) english release unspoiled. I feel like I'll probably have to watch the anime.

cj_iwakura

Amazing claim considering how well the first VN ties everything up in a neat little bow.

Also, I still want to play the Darling spin-off.

srst

I just finished the story with the Stardust Sky ending. Wow what a ride!! This is my first VN game and it's definitely GOTY for me. The tear jerking moments is simply icing on the cake. :D I still feel uneasy with the ending, hopefully SG: Zero can clear things up. Now onto the anime!

Zhao_Yun

0 being better than the original is a strong statement so I am sceptic, but at least it doesn't seem to be shit. Hope S;G did good enough in the West for a localization of 0 in the near future.

Sora_N

I haven't really played a lot of VNs, and I'm not that experienced in unlocking endings - is it advisable to restart the game or just jump to whichever chapter(s) involve the endings I'm trying to unlock?

I finished with the Suzuha ending, and would like to see the rest. I'm pretty confused though.

The other thing is I'm sort of wondering, how much new scenes do I see when I'm trying to get through to other endings? I assume there will be some changes but the story is still pretty fresh for the basic one and I'm not sure if I should be skipping around.

I haven't really played a lot of VNs, and I'm not that experienced in unlocking endings - is it advisable to restart the game or just jump to whichever chapter(s) involve the endings I'm trying to unlock?

I finished with the Suzuha ending, and would like to see the rest. I'm pretty confused though.

The other thing is I'm sort of wondering, how much new scenes do I see when I'm trying to get through to other endings? I assume there will be some changes but the story is still pretty fresh for the basic one and I'm not sure if I should be skipping around.

You don't need to restart, just go back to a save
in chapter 6 before the choice of whether or not to send the dmail and send it.
The game autosaves, so check those if you don't have a convenient manual save. There's also the skip function which at its default setting will only skip over text you've already seen.

Don't restart the game until you're ready to go for the true ending.
For all the side endings there will be a major decision to make (you'll recognize it) at the end of a chapter. One choice leads to the ending and the other lets you continue to the next chapter. So if you get the ending or miss it, just go back and choose the other option to keep going.
Every ending involves a bunch of new scenes that you won't see in any other ending. Hence the motivation to get them all. :p

Sora_N

You don't need to restart, just go back to a save
in chapter 6 before the choice of whether or not to send the dmail and send it.
The game autosaves, so check those if you don't have a convenient manual save. There's also the skip function which at its default setting will only skip over text you've already seen.

Don't restart the game until you're ready to go for the true ending.
For all the side endings there will be a major decision to make (you'll recognize it) at the end of a chapter. One choice leads to the ending and the other lets you continue to the next chapter. So if you get the ending or miss it, just go back and choose the other option to keep going.
Every ending involves a bunch of new scenes that you won't see in any other ending. Hence the motivation to get them all. :p

Thanks guys - I must see the other endings now. This is the choice of Steins Gate.
MUAHAHAHAHA..lol

Jvzg5H5.gif

PlatStrat

Neo Member
So just finished the game and got all the endings and I thought I would give my impressions on it. Overall, I thought it was a really good VN. There are a few problems that I had with it though. First, the first 3 or 4 chapters have pacing and dialogue issues. I was really not feeling much for most of these characters during that time. Almost every character has some quirk that annoyed me. Okarin's shtick wore thin fast and the voice acting did not help. I feel even stronger about this after seeing the first few episodes of the anime dubbed. Boy was that an improvement. Mayuri, Moeka, and Suzuha were the only few I could tolerate.

Moving past that however, I appreciated the twists and turns that the story took. The rules were well defined, you saw the consequences of their actions both immediately and later down the line when things get crazy with the butterfly effect.
The romances though I felt could've been better. I felt like this was trying to be a harem type story but later in development they cut a lot of that stuff out to make room for the more important parts of the story. But you still see the leftovers from that. The first ending I got without making decisions based on a spoiler free guide was the Faris ending and I ultimately left that feeling disappointed. Like "that's it?" kind of feeling. And yet that was the more believable ending of the side endings. Luka's ending felt forced and holy crap what the hell was with Suzuha's ending? Okarin almost RAPES and MURDERS her! Yeah that's totally the ending I want. If I was one of those people who were like Suzuha's my waifu this ending would be terrible. Plus it made very little sense to me why Okarin would need to come with her when they could've easily just written a note that says "Get an IBN 5100! Super Important!" And have Suzuha that back to 1975 with her.

OK end rant, back to the good stuff. What really impressed me was the emotional moments like the note Suzuha leaves behind the first time, the stuff with Faris' dad, Kurisu's relationship with her father, Mayuri's death(s), (the most shocking one was when she got turned into a jellyman) and Moeka's suicide. After Mayuri's death, Okarin became way more likable. It was such a shift and growth in character and I wasn't expecting that.

Now having said that, it still doesn't make sense to me how the True ending is where he ends up with Kurisu. To me it made way more sense to have him end up with Mayuri and feel torn about having to sacrifice Kurisu to save her. Him and Mayuri had much more chemistry and history and he worked so hard to save her and he did everything he could. If that's not romantic I don't know what is. But with Kurisu, the only real bond they had was their love of science and her opening up to him about her father. And I'm just going to say it, I'm sick of tsundere characters. Period. The only one I like is Louise from Familiar of Zero and that's because most of the time her reactions are justified. I understand why the True ending went the way it did so it could answer the remaining questions we had left. But it was still not convincing to me that Okarin and Kurisu fell in love with each other especially in that short amount of time.
Having said all this, I'm going to watch the rest of the anime to compare and contrast with the game. I'll probably play Steins; Gate 0 when it gets localized as well but to me the gold standard for time travel visual novels (and visual novels in general) is Virtue's Last Reward. Steins; Gate comes close but had too many problems for me to give it that high of a rating.

cj_iwakura

So just finished the game and got all the endings and I thought I would give my impressions on it. Overall, I thought it was a really good VN. There are a few problems that I had with it though. First, the first 3 or 4 chapters have pacing and dialogue issues. I was really not feeling much for most of these characters during that time. Almost every character has some quirk that annoyed me. Okarin's shtick wore thin fast and the voice acting did not help. I feel even stronger about this after seeing the first few episodes of the anime dubbed. Boy was that an improvement. Mayuri, Moeka, and Suzuha were the only few I could tolerate.

Moving past that however, I appreciated the twists and turns that the story took. The rules were well defined, you saw the consequences of their actions both immediately and later down the line when things get crazy with the butterfly effect.
The romances though I felt could've been better. I felt like this was trying to be a harem type story but later in development they cut a lot of that stuff out to make room for the more important parts of the story. But you still see the leftovers from that. The first ending I got without making decisions based on a spoiler free guide was the Faris ending and I ultimately left that feeling disappointed. Like "that's it?" kind of feeling. And yet that was the more believable ending of the side endings. Luka's ending felt forced and holy crap what the hell was with Suzuha's ending? Okarin almost RAPES and MURDERS her! Yeah that's totally the ending I want. If I was one of those people who were like Suzuha's my waifu this ending would be terrible. Plus it made very little sense to me why Okarin would need to come with her when they could've easily just written a note that says "Get an IBN 5100! Super Important!" And have Suzuha that back to 1975 with her.

OK end rant, back to the good stuff. What really impressed me was the emotional moments like the note Suzuha leaves behind the first time, the stuff with Faris' dad, Kurisu's relationship with her father, Mayuri's death(s), (the most shocking one was when she got turned into a jellyman) and Moeka's suicide. After Mayuri's death, Okarin became way more likable. It was such a shift and growth in character and I wasn't expecting that.

Now having said that, it still doesn't make sense to me how the True ending is where he ends up with Kurisu. To me it made way more sense to have him end up with Mayuri and feel torn about having to sacrifice Kurisu to save her. Him and Mayuri had much more chemistry and history and he worked so hard to save her and he did everything he could. If that's not romantic I don't know what is. But with Kurisu, the only real bond they had was their love of science and her opening up to him about her father. And I'm just going to say it, I'm sick of tsundere characters. Period. The only one I like is Louise from Familiar of Zero and that's because most of the time her reactions are justified. I understand why the True ending went the way it did so it could answer the remaining questions we had left. But it was still not convincing to me that Okarin and Kurisu fell in love with each other especially in that short amount of time.
Having said all this, I'm going to watch the rest of the anime to compare and contrast with the game. I'll probably play Steins; Gate 0 when it gets localized as well but to me the gold standard for time travel visual novels (and visual novels in general) is Virtue's Last Reward. Steins; Gate comes close but had too many problems for me to give it that high of a rating.

I appreciate that they keep Okabe and Kurisu as really good friends, and nothing more. He'd do anything for her, but it's not out of love, just true friendship. They keep each other going. Kurisu sparked something deeper.

My interpretation, anyway.

I actually disagree with your assessment, here. I don't think it was ever trying to be a harem game with a "happy ending" for each of the girls. Personally, I consider everything that isn't the true ending to be a "bad end," because they don't really fix anything and leave huge amounts of story unresolved. You're meant to be unsatisfied, because they don't want anyone to say "Well, I got the endings of my two favorite girls, I guess I'm done here."

Him and Mayuri had much more chemistry and history and he worked so hard to save her and he did everything he could. If that's not romantic I don't know what is.

That's love, yes, but it doesn't have to be romance. Mayuri is the one he tries to protect from everything, both physically and emotionally by, for the most part, not telling her anything. He treats her more like a little sister than a girlfriend. Kurisu, on the other hand, he confides in, asks advice, trusts to handle the truth, and relies on for strength and guidance. That sounds a lot more like a strong basis for a realistic romantic relationship than the "I have to protect you from the truth" relationship that he has with Mayuri.

On sale in EU PSN for £11.99, should I pick this up on Vita or wait for a localised PS4 port?

I'll second Vita. I just don't see the appeal of basically trying to read a book on your TV from the other side of the room.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
I appreciate that they keep Okabe and Kurisu as really good friends, and nothing more. He'd do anything for her, but it's not out of love, just true friendship. They keep each other going. Kurisu sparked something deeper.

My interpretation, anyway.
I don't understand how you could interpret that they end up being just friends seeing as though they literally say I love you to each other in the Kurisu and True endings.

OMG Aero

I know there hasn't been any announcements, but has there been any vague hints that Steins;Gate 0 might be coming across or have they just been hinting at the other science adventure games?

Sora_N

Oh my god, I just got the True Ending. So many feels.

I just need to do the Kurisu one now, I might wait till tomorrow.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
Oh my god, I just got the True Ending. So many feels.

I just need to do the Kurisu one now, I might wait till tomorrow.
There's pretty much no point after you've gotten the True ending. It's pretty much the same
except it continues after the credits.

Well, had the SG on PS3 but my little bro always wanted the PS3 I gave him back everytime I sat down to play it.
Had been getting fed up with my phone as well so my first thought was "hey why not buy a Vita so I can play Steins;Gate anytime(especially at work)"

Was worth it.

Tizoc

OK so other games got in the way of my playthrough of this and when VNs get too...otaku-isha and anime tropey I start to lose interest.

Anyways I just got to the part where
Faris sends her D-Mail and the history alteration occured.
Am I halfway through the game yet?

OK so other games got in the way of my playthrough of this and when VNs get too...otaku-isha and anime tropey I start to lose interest.

Anyways I just got to the part where
Faris sends her D-Mail and the history alteration occured.
Am I halfway through the game yet?

You haven't even gotten to the good part yet.
Keep going. It's worth it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Still don't get why you'd wait months after the game's original release to announce this LE. If I didn't already have the game, I might've jumped on it, but not spending $40 for another copy just for a calender that'll be useless once 2017 comes around.

Dsyndrome

The
Suzuha
ending sure turned fucking dark.
Okarin's definitely not Bill Murray, and he even had more time than he did in Groundhog Day. Day 10 and his thoughts immediately go to rape and murder

Two more endings to go. Anyone that got the true ending without a guide should go play the lottery.

mrmickfran

I'm LTTP on this one, so I ordered the LE that's supposed to be out tomorrow on Amazon, yet I still haven't had my order updated from preordering. Anybody else having this issue?

Lol, I made this thread but broke my Vita right when I started it. Nice to finally get to play through it a bit with my new Vita I got for Christmas :p

Carmelozi

Hey, I just finished Steins;Gate this week with the true ending. It was a great experience! But I have some questions about two parts of the game.

I didn't understand well the "black hole travel" where Okarin hears to not turn back and the "dry land" moment. I guess it was some dreams but would it be Okarin travelling to other worldline ?

Hey, I just finished Steins;Gate this week with the true ending. It was a great experience! But I have some questions about two parts of the game.

I didn't understand well the "black hole travel" where Okarin hears to not turn back and the "dry land" moment. I guess it was some dreams but would it be Okarin travelling to other worldline ?

My interpretation were that they were either nightmares, or they were Reading Steiner allowing Okabe to remember an alternative worldline where those things happened. I think the first is more likely to be a nightmare, while the second is more likely to be Reading Steiner, but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom