• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

You haven't even gotten a single ending yet, much less the true ending.
If you think that was a twist, you've got a bit storm coming. :)

We'll see, I hope it pulls a 999 and surprises me completely. Nonetheless I can't shake the feeling that the story has been way to predictable. Mmm, we'll see...

John Titor came from the future to let me know you'll like it a lot more when you've seen all the endings. :p

:D Now I know I will spend the rest of the night rushing through the game to achieve my first ending :)

John Titor identity was another thing that I predict way before it was revealed.

I'll let you know my impressions when I get my platinum!

Flandy

So I finally got around to finishing the anime after completing the game last year. To my surprise
there's an epilogue
:O

Just finished the game with the Suzuha ending, I guess I should restart from the beginning if I want to see the other endings?
Not sure I want to do that...although I absolutely loved that game!

Can I just watch it on YouTube? I would need to use some kind of walkthrough anyway, right?
I still have so many games I want to play ;-p

In VLR it was handled really well, you could just continue wherever you wanted and change your decisions.

Zhao_Yun

Just finished the game with the Suzuha ending, I guess I should restart from the beginning if I want to see the other endings?

Can I just watch it on YouTube? I would need to use some kind of walkthrough anyway, right?
I still have so many games I want to play ;-p

In VLR it was handled really well, you could just continue wherever you wanted and change your decisions.

You can just use the Skip function and it will automatically skip through everything which you have read already. It also stops automatically at decision points so that you could redo them for other endings.

OMG Aero

Unless you went into the options and turned it off, the game makes an autosave at the start of each chapter and the thing that put you on the Suzuha ending happens in that chapter so you can just load that save and go from the beginning of the chapter instead of starting the whole game again.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Hi S;GAF! Just stopping by late because I'm enjoying this title so much.

The writing in this title is just terrific. The Otaku jokes are both on-point and affectionate, and all the science talk is interesting to a speculation-prone layperson like me.

I wish they would've called it "Nostalgia Mail" though. I actually laughed when Rintaro said that. Not sure how far I have to go (playing totally blind) but the intensity and stakes are climbing. Time to go back in!

Preordering 0 for sure

EDIT: & for anyone stumbling across this, wondering whether to buy or not... Game is not terribly interactive, even by VN standards, but the writing is top shelf. I found all the characters charming & enjoyed thinking about time travel "issues." This game is probably the coolest thing I've read in the past six months, and I say this as a graduate student in the humanities. It has me thinking of ways to use VNs as a way of talking about multimodal composition for a class. I went ahead and got the plat (not a trophy guy, but that seemed like the best way to see everything) and it definitely felt worth my time.

Just finished my first playthrough (and got my first ending,
which was Suzuha
)

Really mindblowing stuff. Enjoyed it so much. Definitely felt like I got a bad ending though, and for the first time ever for a game with multiple endings for me, I'm going straight back in to get more.

I'm pretty certain I can work out what flags to use/ignore to get different endings, but I still think I'm gonna look up a guide just to check I'm right :)

Zhao_Yun

Just finished my first playthrough (and got my first ending,
which was Suzuha
)

Really mindblowing stuff. Enjoyed it so much. Definitely felt like I got a bad ending though, and for the first time ever for a game with multiple endings for me, I'm going straight back in to get more.

I'm pretty certain I can work out what flags to use/ignore to get different endings, but I still think I'm gonna look up a guide just to check I'm right :)

All endings except for the true ending should be easy to figure out by yourself :)

Lime

Started playing this on my vita but the sexist perv "jokes" and the seemingly transphobia so far are really off-putting.

Does the main dude you play continue to be an asshole?

Started playing this on my vita but the sexist perv "jokes" and the seemingly transphobia so far are really off-putting.

Does the main dude you play continue to be an asshole?
It made me a bit uncomfortable too. Push through it, as it's pretty rare past the initial bit and once the stronger focus on characterization happens everybody in the story improves. The beginning is all introduction.

All endings except for the true ending should be easy to figure out by yourself :)

It's a strange feeling really. The game ended sooner than I was expecting on my initial playthrough, but I don't actually feel cheated or anything because I nearly fully understand what happened and why and what I need to do differently, which really encourages me to go back and try.

That's a pretty rare reaction to get from me for a game, so it's impressive they did that.

I also can't believe how dark the ending I got was, lol. Right up until the final scene I was gobsmacked with what Okabe was thinking haha.

I'm reading Chaos;Head at the momemt for the first time. And to my surprise i like the overall plot more than the one of Steins Gate.

Steins has more emotional moments and a better Soundtrack, but they are not really comparable. Chaos is more horror themed and has more tense moments which i prefer.

But it looks like Steins 0 offers the best of both worlds, i cant wait :)

Finished all endings and platinumed.

Loved it to pieces. Genuinely still processing it but may rank among my favourite games ever.

Welled up at Faris' chapter the most, oddly. Something about that really just struck a chord with me.
I think her confessing everything on the bed, changing the timeline and then hugging her afterwards without her realizing what happened was just heartbreaking.

Also surprised how much empathy I felt for
Moeka
during her route too.

Anyway, loved the true ending and was very happy with that too, so all in all a great package!

Sitrus

Finished all endings and platinumed.

Loved it to pieces. Genuinely still processing it but may rank among my favourite games ever.

Welled up at Faris' chapter the most, oddly. Something about that really just struck a chord with me.
I think her confessing everything on the bed, changing the timeline and then hugging her afterwards without her realizing what happened was just heartbreaking.

Also surprised how much empathy I felt for
Moeka
during her route too.

Anyway, loved the true ending and was very happy with that too, so all in all a great package!

John Titor came from the future to let me know you'll like it a lot more when you've seen all the endings. :p

He's the real deal!

Oh, definitely. While I don't think it's okay per se, I definitely think the game more than redeems itself eventually. I even like how Ruka was handled in the end.

While obviously not a paragon of progressiveness, for a Japanese game I thought Luka was handled relatively well. Okarin's treatment of Luka, while insensitive and ignorant, is never demeaning for it, and in fact his appreciation for her is apparent; he introduces her by saying how she's the most impeccably feminine person he knows even if she's technically a he (we are actually never explicitly said that Luka identifies as female), and in general Luka is portrayed in such a positive light all around (even by other characters) you can't help but love her. Her story's ending scenes are so superbly voice acted in Japanese both by her VA and Okarin's that they end up being the most touching moments in the game for me.

Compare and contrast P4's Kanji and the way his even alledged homosexuality is handled with revulsion from Yosuke and to a lesser extent all other characters; and that's an example of a widely lauded character, at that. I'm a huge fan of Kanji but in my opinion, Steins;Gate both treads further and is more positive about it than P4.

Alec

I love time travel. A friend said "you should watch Steins Gate" about a year ago. I finally got around to wiki'ing it and was surprised to see that it was based on a VN. I immediately bought it on Vita and 100%'ed it in two days...I couldn't put it down, it was so good.

My girlfriend asked me how I was liking it around Chapter 2, and my response was "I fucking hate the main character. I hope all of the wacky time travel shenanigans he eventually gets into changes him" Bingo!

I love how the chuunibyou nonsense is something he does for himself at first, but he eventually feels the need to keep it up for the sake of making his friends feel "better" or "more normal" in the face of the crazy things going on.

I'm on episode 5 of the anime now, definitely condensed. Glad I played the VN first. Couldn't be more pleased.

Just got the True Ending after attaining the other ones first. That was incredibly fantastic. Everything was great, the dialogue, the story, and especially the characters. I actually liked the Hououin Kyouma facade but Rintaro absolutely redeems himself near the end of the game.

I can't remember the last time I was this emotionally invested in a game.
Mayuri's first death had those tears welling up in my eyes. I just found out about the optional time-leap where Moeka sends you a picture of a Jellyman'd Mayuri. I'm 99% sure if that happened in my playthrough that would've broke me. Other things that really shook me up was the Mr. Braun & Nae encounter in Ch 9, Rintaro desperately trying everything he could think of to save Mayuri, and Kurisu and Rintaro's whole scene inside the building during the storm in Ch 10 (Kurisu/TE side).

They way to reach the True Ending was bullshit though. I almost got shit out of luck cause the reply I had to send for one of the messages glitched up and wouldn't show for me. If it wasn't for quick save reloading that part and correcting the glitch, I would've had to redo the whole game probably.

But whatever, I'm excited for Steins;Gate 0. I'll probably check out the anime and that epilogue film too.

Ratrat

Finished after starting about a year ago and got the Suzuha ending. It was good but fairly abrupt. Is there a guide to see the other endings?

Also, whats the deal with the dating(?) spinoff game?

Finished after starting about a year ago and got the Suzuha ending. It was good but fairly abrupt. Is there a guide to see the other endings?

Also, whats the deal with the dating(?) spinoff game?
You have NOT finished yet.
Not until you get the true end. You're maybe 60% done.
You don't need a guide until the true end. Just go back and pick the opposite choice that got you Suzuha.

Ratrat

You have NOT finished yet.
Not until you get the true end. You're maybe 60% done.
You don't need a guide until the true end. Just go back and pick the opposite choice that got you Suzuha.
Hmm...like I said, I started it a year ago and would play 5-10 minutes a night at most. I honestly dont remember making any decisions. Anyway, it seems like I can just start from chapter 6 and I'll see where that takes me.

Shizuka

Steins.jpg

Limited Edition Includes:
Steins;Gate 0 (Standard) for PSV or PS4 and 128 page Artbook.

Available for pre-order at VGP (with free shipping).

Pachimari

I just started up the anime, and finished the pilot episode. I'm really liking it so far. Are there 25 episodes in Season 1? And how many seasons does it contain? And how is Steins;Gate 0 connected, is it a prequel show?

Cornbread78

I just started up the anime, and finished the pilot episode. I'm really liking it so far. Are there 25 episodes in Season 1? And how many seasons does it contain? And how is Steins;Gate 0 connected, is it a prequel show?

Yeah, it's just the 25 episodes, but make sure yoi watch the OVA, because it is VERY canon.

Steins;Gate 0 is an alternate story ending to the original:

Synopsis
An alternate ending to Steins;Gate that leads with the eccentric mad scientist Okabe, struggling to recover from a
failed attempt at rescuing Kurisu. He decides to give up and abandons his lively scientist alter ego, in pursuit to forget the past. When all seems to be normal, he is seemingly pulled back into the past by meeting an acquaintance of Kurisu, who tells him that they have begun testing a device that stores the memory of a human and creates a simulation of them with their characteristics and personalities. Okabe begins testing and finds out that the simulation of Kurisu has brought back anguish and some new unexpected tragedies...

Pachimari

So Steins;Gate 0 is like a movie?

And should the OVA be watched after I have finished Season 1?

And what about the VN that comes out next week, is that just the whole story from S1 and the OVA in one VN?

Cornbread78

So Steins;Gate 0 is like a movie?

And should the OVA be watched after I have finished Season 1?

And what about the VN that comes out next week, is that just the whole story from S1 and the OVA in one VN?

Yeah, the OVA takes place after the events tgat finish the anime series.

The VN that releases this fall should be the source material for tge new anime series. This thread is for thr original VN game that was the source for what your watching now.

Pachimari

Oh, so what I am watching now, is actually what I'll see in the game releasing on Steam and mobile next week. Cool cool, I'll just watch and play concurrently.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey thread,

I just heard about this game on Player One Podcast, I'm interested. I'm NOT interested in playing this through Steam or PS3, but I think I read online this is coming to iOS? I didn't find any information about that, is this coming to iOS this year?

Also I read there's an anime out there. I would be down for watching it, does it go through the story of this game that is currently released? And then I read there's a prequel coming out, is that coming to iOS or PlayStation only?

Yours truly,

Adam

Top Bottom