• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay, I read the internet some more. So the English iOS versions is coming out this month... sometime. And I should watch the anime after playing the game.

And there's a pre/sequel coming out on Steam, soon? That's what I read, all that correct?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The VN is the raw-and-uncut version. It requires a little more tolerance and knowledge about advanced scientific concepts and Japanese culture. It includes all the endings. The anime is a more focused and approachable version of the story and follows the true path. Most of the alternate endings are short so you wouldn't be missing that much by just seeing the true path.

Steins Gate 0 is not really a prequel. Without getting into spoiler territory it takes place in an alternate timeline... kinda. The best analogy I can come up with is that it's kinda like if they made a new Back to the Future movie about how Biff Tannen got rich after he got the sports almanac. You should play the original before 0, basically. At least that's what I've heard without having played it yet? I might be oversimplifying things.

Pachimari

Okay, I read the internet some more. So the English iOS versions is coming out this month... sometime. And I should watch the anime after playing the game.

And there's a pre/sequel coming out on Steam, soon? That's what I read, all that correct?
The game is releasing on iOS tomorrow.

I'm gonna watch an episode of the anime, then play the VN up until the same point, then watch another episode of the anime, and then play up until that poin in the VN.

ZealousD

The game is releasing on iOS tomorrow.

I'm gonna watch an episode of the anime, then play the VN up until the same point, then watch another episode of the anime, and then play up until that poin in the VN.

Honestly? I wouldn't do that. If you are going to both play the VN and watch the anime, I think the anime works better as a condensed retelling that you watch after you've gone through the VN. The VN takes much longer to go through so you might be tempted to push through it impatiently if you already know what major events are going to happen. You're just going to ruin the pacing by alternating, I think.

Pachimari

Yeah, I think I'll just play through the entire game first, before moving with the anime.

Anyway, Steins;Gate has now been released on iPhone. There's an HD version for iPad coming out soon as well.

Finally started a new game in this last weekend. Got it when the NA Vita version came out, put about 2 hours into it, and got distracted/bored.

I'm about 5 hours into it now, starting to feel it more than the first go around. I love when they get into the John Titor/science stuff. I hope there is more of that moving forward.

Can't stand the cat maid cafe/Faris Nyan stuff. Bleh.

jonjonaug

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
sucks the iOS versions aren't a single app, but I'm glad they exist in English now too. I have the Steam version wishlisted but I'd rather be able to play this wherever.

Shizuka

sucks the iOS versions aren't a single app, but I'm glad they exist in English now too. I have the Steam version wishlisted but I'd rather be able to play this wherever.

The standard version works on all devices, the HD version is iPad-only.

Pachimari

Yeah I bought the standard version by mistake, thinking it was Universal. Asked for a refund and bought the HD version that came out later. Damn stupid releasing two different apps.

Shizuka

Ah, nice. Glad they didn't do the shitty thing like SE when they locked the iPhone version of TWEWY to phone-only.

I've been meaning to find a comparison of the standard and HD iOS versions side-to-side, but I don't know anyone who'd pick up both versions.

Pachimari

The game looks super crisp and sharp on my iPad Pro, so if anyone's thinking of getting it for that platform then go ahead. It's super nice to have, especially as it doesn't require much more than tapping, so the touch screen is great for that too.

Shizuka

The game looks super crisp and sharp on my iPad Pro, so if anyone's thinking of getting it for that platform then go ahead. It's super nice to have, especially as it doesn't require much more than tapping, so the touch screen is great for that too.

Could you share some screenshots for that? I take it's the HD iOS version, right?

Pachimari

Could you share some screenshots for that? I take it's the HD iOS version, right?
Yes the HD version. Of course it's not sharper than the Steam version as they are both based on the same version apparently. Just a quick one I took but it's good enough for me:

Lswqo7c.jpg

Shizuka

Yes the HD version. Of course it's not sharper than the Steam version as they are both based on the same version apparently. Just a quick one I took but it's good enough for me:

That's quite sharp, looking great. I'd get it, if I carried my iPad with me more often.

Jazzem

Hope they resolve any issues the Steam version has, more people need to play this excellent game :D

...and hopefully not be too discouraged by how slow its first third is, eheh.

Moaradin

Saw this on Steam so I was thinking I should pick it up eventually. I watched the anime a few years ago and really enjoy it.

Never played a VN before. Is this one a good start?

Hate to bump this but I got the

SPOILERS
Irreversible Reboot ending. How do I proceed to get the other endings? Do I have to start all over again or something? I don't want to get spoiled looking for a guide.

Hate to bump this but I got the

SPOILERS
Irreversible Reboot ending. How do I proceed to get the other endings? Do I have to start all over again or something? I don't want to get spoiled looking for a guide.
Reload the save closest to then then just pick the other option. If you save at big crossroads like this, which are pretty easy to distinguish, you can just watch the ending them hop back into the game.

AHA-Lambda

ok, I'm at chapter 4 now and I understand this game has many divergent paths from this point forward

Which am I best to pursue first? Just go for a standard play through or go for the True Ending first time round? Does it matter?
Just wondering as I notice many guides seem to leave the true ending to last

During any subsequent replays though, does the game story become substantially different in the pursuit of different endings? Just wondering if I'll need to reread 30+ hours of content again or if I can safely skip most of it outside of the choices and endings.

ok, I'm at chapter 4 now and I understand this game has many divergent paths from this point forward

Which am I best to pursue first? Just go for a standard play through or go for the True Ending first time round? Does it matter?

During any subsequent replays though, does the game story become substantially different in the pursuit of different endings? Just wondering if I'll need to reread 30+ hours of content again or if I can safely skip most of it outside of the choices and endings.
I was on the same boat last week. What I did was played how I wanted spoiler free, and just used a guide to get all the missing collectables. Honestly, I put maybe 25 hours into the game and I'm about to get the Platinum right now. Experience everything the game has to offer. Do all the other endings first then the true ending, it will have more of an impact.

If you care about trophies PSN profiles has the best guide and does its best to keep spoilers to a minimum and vague. Although I wouldn't recommend using it until you finish the game for the first time without achieving the true ending.

ZealousD

Honestly you'll probably want to start looking at spoiler-free walkthroughs at this point. Basically, there are character specific endings that diverge from the main path from this point forward. You get near the end of the chapter, you make a big decision, and then you either fork off into that character's ending or you continue on the main path.

Basically, you wanna save the game at the fork, take the character specific ending, and experience that ending. Then, reload the save and take the other option to continue down the math path. Rinse and repeat until you hit all the side endings and you hit the ending of the main path.

Getting the true ending requires a very specific set of steps that most people will not get on their own the first time through. Honestly it's possible you've already put yourself in a position where you can't get the true ending. That's fine, just keep playing until you finally hit the end of the main path sans true ending. You can restart the game to go for the true ending, and you'll be able to skip most text and the divergent character endings. As you skip through you just have to keep your eye on the text messages.

Fowler

So I just finished the game. It's my first VN. I don't watch much anime either -- got nothing against anime, I just haven't gotten into it.

What I'm trying to say is that I feel there was a lot stacked against me liking Steins;Gate.

I LOVED it.

It took me a while to get used to the endless button pressing to run through dialogue options. And it took a while for the story to click with me. But now I laugh when I see people starting out asking "Do Okarin and Mayuri get any less annoying????" because omg, they do, they really do.

There's actual character development here. There's a great, great plot. But mostly, I love seeing a story that really takes advantage of the media it's on. Being inside Okarin's head and "hearing" him progress from carefree nutjob to a serious, driven man with a tortured soul is an incredible experience; I love the moments when he jumps back, pained and suffering, while everyone else is all "uhh where'd the mad scientist go why are you being so serious right now?"

And that development is what makes it work, IMO. I called a lot of the twists in advance, WELL in advance in some cases. But a good twist isn't just about causing a shock, it's how neatly it fits into place. And the game nailed almost all of the reveals. It didn't matter that I knew what was coming, because it felt great anyway. (And in a sense, it rather fits the mood through the middle of the game of "fate is set, you can't stop it".)

Yes, interactivity is limited, but it's interactive enough to drive you to different endings. Time travel stories are all about the various possibilities, the crazy outcomes, and this game allows you to experience the whole "well, what if..." alternate options.

And... that true ending. EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT was great.

So yeah, I guess you can say I'm a big fan now. Whoever in this thread posted in a past PSN Flash Sale thread urging people to pick up Steins;Gate, THANK YOU!

It came out on the Vita in the West over a year ago.

Do you mean Steins;Gate 0? The date for that is still in the air.

Yeah, of course I mean 0. Should have realized it'd need clarification. Bought the first game day 1 & platinumed it.

Kind of wondering if 0 will slip into 2017. The degree of difficulty on a translation like this is about as high as it gets, and it's going to be October in a week. Getting late in the day for an announcement.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
There's a mod for the Steam version of the game that fixes a bunch of issues. If it works as advertised then the Steam version of the game plus this mod should be the best way to experience S;G in English.
I bought the game on the winter sale and came here to post about this patch. I suggest it to anyone who bought or plans to buy the Steam version, if only because it fixes the blank screen bug when exiting the game in fullscreen. The other fixes and improvements are pretty good too.

Nasser

13:30 hours in and still on chapter 4, I have some problems with the pacing. Otherwise it's a great game! Can't wait to jump into S;G0 right after this one.

ymgve

Was there ever any explanation for the
missing leading zero on the divergence meter in the Faris ending
? Is it possibly explained in SG0?

jonjonaug

Was there ever any explanation for the
missing leading zero on the divergence meter in the Faris ending
? Is it possibly explained in SG0?

No, I think that just means that it's a negative number. Okabe's in a worldline that isn't part of either the alpha or beta attractor fields. While
WW3 or the dystopia created by the Committee of 300
probably won't happen, the existence of the divergence meter does imply that at some point
Suzuha came back to the past to stop something bad from happening
, and it's left hanging whether or not that something will occur.

S;G0 doesn't touch on this ending though, because it isn't important.

EDIT

Looking through my post history in this thread and

Chaos;Head has a fan translation that you could still find with some digging that's 99% finished (all game text is translated and edited, but images remain untranslated). The "official" download for a release candidate version of the fan patch was pulled once JAST started licensing Nitro+ games, but that never went anywhere. I'd recommend waiting for Chaos;Head Noah though (an expanded version of Chaos;Head for consoles with character routes and other additions) rather than digging this up, since it sounds like we're getting that probably before the end of the year anyway.

:(

woodypop

Was going to get the Vita version of this to play on my Playstation TV, but then found out there's a PS3 version, too. Since I'll be playing either one at home on a TV, is there a preferred/superior version I should buy?

Was going to get the Vita version of this to play on my Playstation TV, but then found out there's a PS3 version, too. Since I'll be playing either one at home on a TV, is there a preferred/superior version I should buy?
PS3 version has 720p assets and supports controller rumble for the in-game ringtones. Otherwise, they're practically equivalent.

woodypop

^Vita version doesn't have 720p? Even though the PSTV supports that resolution? Weird.

Hmm. . . expand my Vita library, or play on PS3. Decisions, decisions.

^Vita version doesn't have 720p? Even though the PSTV supports that resolution? Weird.

Hmm. . . expand my Vita library, or play on PS3. Decisions, decisions.
Vita titles only support the Vita's native resolution of 544p (or sometimes lower). The PSTV upscales.

That said, the Vita version still looks quite nice on a TV due to the 2D art.

Top Bottom