• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

24417bb4e4d4fadf73408fd88b1de5a4.jpg

Perfect

Carmelozi

My interpretation were that they were either nightmares, or they were Reading Steiner allowing Okabe to remember an alternative worldline where those things happened. I think the first is more likely to be a nightmare, while the second is more likely to be Reading Steiner, but I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, it makes sense. It does me want to know more about the
"dry land" thing
, is it mentionned in Zero ?

Good pic btw lol.

Fireblend

Banned
Hey guys. I bought Steins;Gate last week during the PSN flash sale. I really wanted to play it ever since it was released but other games had gotten in the way.

After seeing the rest, I just got the true ending. I couldn't take my hands off this game.

This game. Holy shit. I need to send myself a d-mail to a month ago and change my 2015 GOTY list to accommodate it.

Hooooooly shit. I was really enjoying my time with the game and looking forward to ending it today after reaching chapter 10 yesterday, but nothing could've prepared me for the goddamn roller coaster of mind-blowing awesome that was that last stretch of game.

And the ending. Tears were shed. Goddamn.

Kurisu entering the lab as the timeline is rewritten.
The fake credits.
The callbacks in the video message.
Kurisu's reading steiner activating. Heck, the entirety of the epilogue.

I don't think I'm going to stop thinking about this game for a while. Is the anime worth watching?

Hey guys. I bought Steins;Gate last week during the PSN flash sale. I really wanted to play it ever since it was released but other games had gotten in the way.

After seeing the rest, I just got the true ending. I couldn't take my hands off this game.

This game. Holy shit. I need to send myself a d-mail to a month ago and change my 2015 GOTY list to accommodate it.

Hooooooly shit. I was really enjoying my time with the game and looking forward to ending it today after reaching chapter 10 yesterday, but nothing could've prepared me for the goddamn roller coaster of mind-blowing awesome that was that last stretch of game.

The fake credits.

I don't think I'm going to stop thinking about this game for a while. Is the anime worth watching?

It's good but it's just the common + true ending route without all the other character endings to flesh everybody else out.

Fireblend

Banned
Woah, I just realized one of the first posts in this thread is mine, asking for a NA release date. Damn, it took me a while to get around to buying and playing it... but I did! TImeline corrected.

Sora_N

The fake credits.

The game floors the anime greatly but I watched it 4 years ago and played the game a month ago.

I agree. Dat true end.

The fake credits.

Seriously. Those
fake credits
left me grinning like an idiot. Absolutely amazing.

//ARCANUM

I'm thinking about jumping into Steins;Gate soon. Never played before. I read it has multiple endings though. And I'm not to inclined to play through a visual novel more than once... So what's the best way to get the true end? Is there an easy to follow spoiler free guide? Or do the endings work in some way like VLR where I'd get the chance to go back and do the different paths within the context of the story? Or is it get an ending and then start over at the beginning again? What's my best way to get the best ending? Thanks!

Wichu

I'm thinking about jumping into Steins;Gate soon. Never played before. I read it has multiple endings though. And I'm not to inclined to play through a visual novel more than once... So what's the best way to get the true end? Is there an easy to follow spoiler free guide? Or do the endings work in some way like VLR where I'd get the chance to go back and do the different paths within the context of the story? Or is it get an ending and then start over at the beginning again? What's my best way to get the best ending? Thanks!

Spoiler-free guide.

Most of the endings are short and easy to reach - you can save before the choice, get the ending, then reload the save and continue with the story.

There's one ending that you can't get this way, - it requires an incorrect choice in chapter
but changes the ending of chapter
. It doesn't take too long to skip forwards from there though (maybe seeing some alternate scenes along the way), and the ending is worth getting.

Wii Tank

So I finished my first run through and got an ending. Is it probably better to get all the regular endings first and then go for the true one?

Beat the game yesterday. Got the true ending.

I'll cherish the memories of playing this wonderful gem for a long time.

I'll take a break from visual novels as steins;gate wrecked my sleeping pattern, but I've got VLR on my list.

So I finished my first run through and got an ending. Is it probably better to get all the regular endings first and then go for the true one?

I'd say probably. And it's not like it takes too much longer.

Beat the game yesterday. Got the true ending.

I'll cherish the memories of playing this wonderful gem for a long time.

I'll take a break from visual novels as steins;gate wrecked my sleeping pattern, but I've got VLR on my list.
Be sure to play 999 first if you haven't already!

OMG Aero

Spoiler-free guide.

Most of the endings are short and easy to reach - you can save before the choice, get the ending, then reload the save and continue with the story.

There's one ending that you can't get this way, - it requires an incorrect choice in chapter
but changes the ending of chapter
. It doesn't take too long to skip forwards from there though (maybe seeing some alternate scenes along the way), and the ending is worth getting.
On top of this advice I would say just do your first playthrough without a guide. All but one of the endings can be gotten by just reloading your previous auto save, and when you get all the endings but the one you have to start a new game for, look at the guide then and because the skip function is so fast it will take no time at all to get to the new content.

Got that covered ;)

While you're here, can you recommend other Vita games with a strong and intelligent storyline? Doesn't necessarily have to be a VN.
Danganronpa are both great. I'm playing through Code Realize and while it is an otome it has a great story so far. I'm loving it.
Haven't read up too much on Norn 9 but it's supposed to be pretty good too.
Sweet Fuse is on PSP and can be played on Vita and is pretty fab as well. :)
Muv-Luv will be coming out later this year, too, so keep your eyes peeled for it!

Even though I've seen the anime... wow this can get rough on the heart, man.

Over the last three days I've gotten 5/6 endings, going for the true ending tomorrow. I feel emotionally drained.

Apologies for the double post/bump, but has anyone gotten Tip #43 and remembers where to find it? Finished the True end, got all the CGs and got the Platinum, but I seem to be missing that tip.

Apologies for the double post/bump, but has anyone gotten Tip #43 and remembers where to find it? Finished the True end, got all the CGs and got the Platinum, but I seem to be missing that tip.

I got the Plat as well and remember missing a Tip or two. Maybe it's just glitched? I don't recall if it was 43 or not,

Ah, found it. Looks like there was one scene I didn't get, the extra scene after not calling Mayuri at the beginning of chapter 6.

Ironically, the Tip was Deja vu.

Nuu

Banned
Finished the anime a few weeks ago. The beginning was slow and boring as shit, but after a few episodes it became great. I just realized however that the Steins;Gate game isn't based off the anime, but the other way around. And from what I've heard, the game is significantly better than the show.

Shit, did I ruin the game by watching the anime first? Is there any point to playing the game now?

Finished the anime a few weeks ago. The beginning was slow and boring as shit, but after a few episodes it became great. I just realized however that the Steins;Gate game isn't based off the anime, but the other way around. And from what I've heard, the game is significantly better than the show.

Shit, did I ruin the game by watching the anime first? Is there any point to playing the game now?

Anime only follows the common route and true end. The game is still worth playing for the other five endings, plus alot of scenes are more fleshed out than in the anime.

Not ruined. The game covers everything the anime does so you'll be spoiled on all the major events, but the game also has a lot in it that the anime does not. Sort of an "extended universe" I guess, since there are alternate endings for many characters with more story content and character building.

It's worth a play.

It's not ruined. I watched the anime before playing the game. There's plenty of content they glossed over. Well worth your time!

Nuu

Banned
I guess I'll try the game. I just feel that it would be better to play the game then watch the anime like the OP says.

Is that by and large true? :(

Also isn't there suppose to be a sequel to this game coming out soon?

This is the greatest cosplay photo I have ever seen. Like ever.

I guess I'll try the game. I just feel that it would be better to play the game then watch the anime like the OP says.

Is that by and large true? :(

Ideally, yeah, probably. It's not really a big deal if not. Either way you're gonna be going into the second one you experience with knowledge of the entire story.

Sora_N

No, but you could wait a while before starting the game. I had a few years since I watched the anime before playing the game, most things were fresh to me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just wrapped up the game. Got the true ending first (using the spoiler free flow chart guide) and just finished loading saves and skipping around to get the other five endings.

I really enjoyed it. It started slow, but from Chapter 5 on I was hooked. I really liked that it was pure visual novel without a bunch of shitty mini-game nonsense tacked on like in Danganronpa and others.

Edit:

I watched the sequel movie on YouTube a bit ago. Also really good!

The sequel (well, more like midquel) came out last December in Japan. No word yet on localization.

Just finished the game. 6/6 endings, the true one at the end. I never, ever begged that much for a happy ending in my life, I always thought "no way, it can't end like this!" Absolutely amazing. First thing I tried to find out after finishing the game was news about a succesor. Now I really, really hope they'll come up with a localization of Zero.

10/10

I imagine Zero will get localized at some point although I do wonder how long it'll take.

More importantly perhaps, is the question of platform localization. I'd love to see it get a PS4/PSV release, but I'd also like to see a PC release a little more high profile than Steins;Gate's. Being on a storefront like Steam would give it some real boosts.

Just wrapped up the game. Got the true ending first (using the spoiler free flow chart guide) and just finished loading saves and skipping around to get the other five endings.

I really enjoyed it. It started slow, but from Chapter 5 on I was hooked. I really liked that it was pure visual novel without a bunch of shitty mini-game nonsense tacked on like in Danganronpa and others.

Edit:

I watched the sequel movie on YouTube a bit ago. Also really good!

Just finished the game. 6/6 endings, the true one at the end. I never, ever begged that much for a happy ending in my life, I always thought "no way, it can't end like this!" Absolutely amazing. First thing I tried to find out after finishing the game was news about a succesor. Now I really, really hope they'll come up with a localization of Zero.

10/10

finally got around to playing (& finishing) this. they just don't write stories like this in the west. incredible! - el psy kongroo! :) ...

Yay, more people finishing and enjoying the game! Glad you all liked it!

tutturu!

If you'd time leaped a week and asked me what i thought of this i'd have said a meh weird japanese story thats totally confusing and was struggling to hold my attention.

What i think of it now? it's a shoe in for any GOTY list i have.

I found the first 4 chapters a real struggle, my mind wandered as i played, there seemed to be alot of irrelevant events occurring there was weird characters ,there was lots of parts i found confusing, i like a story to make sense, and half of it didn't i honestly didn't think i was going to finish it.

It took me from jan when i got it in a sale until the 9th of March to get through the first 5 chapters. Since then, i've got all the endings except the True ending, that is going to be my next and final play through, starting this evening.

My confusion from the first half of the game was replaced by a series of "ah hah!" moments as i was carefully guided by the games narrative, it's the first game since i can't remember to make me speak/gasp out loud in delight, in surprise and sadness as the events unfolded, i kicked myself when things were revealed that i should have known but didn't. It puts most other narratives in games to absolute shame, and was an absolutely wonderful experiance.

I'm hoping Steins gate Zero comes to the PS4 in the west and i'm hoping a port of the original makes it too, i just want it in my collection for that console, its something i'll play through every so often to remind me why i play games.

Diablos54

So I picked this up in the PSN Easter sale after hearing comparisons to Dangenronpa, and in so glad I did.

The first couple chapters are a little slow introducing everyone and building things up but once Rintaro
finds the IBN 5100
things really start getting interesting. Currently in chapter 4, 11 hours in, can't wait too see where this goes.

Sora_N

So I picked this up in the PSN Easter sale after hearing comparisons to Dangenronpa, and in so glad I did.

The first couple chapters are a little slow introducing everyone and building things up but once Rintaro
finds the IBN 5100
things really start getting interesting. Currently in chapter 4, 11 hours in, can't wait too see where this goes.

You'll be in for a great time lol.

Prelude.

Are we really gonna get 0 before ANY other science adv game? PQube pls

Steins;Gate 0 for Vita has been listed by Xtralife (it also has been listed for PS3 and PS4). Although Xtralife stocks import games, the listings are definitively for Spain as BadLand is listed as the distributor (they were the distributor of the original Steins;Gate and they are the distributors of PQube in Spain, so it adds up).
Regarding Steins;Gate 0, here's what the distributor had to say: "Es posible ;-)" (It's possible ;-))

still have to reach my first ending, 22 hours in and honestly I saw almost every twist coming miles away like for example
Moeka betraying Okabe and writing to herself in the past the location of the retrocomputer
. It's very frustrating when you have to wait for the characters to catch up, while you can't do anything to make the game progress. I hope the ending is going to surprise me some way or the other

I bet that Okabe will have to kill Kurisu, some way or the other, in order to reach 1% convergence

Anyway it's been a fun ride.

still have to reach my first ending, 22 hours in and honestly I saw almost every twist coming miles away like for example
Moeka betraying Okabe and writing to herself in the past the location of the retrocomputer
. It's very frustrating when you have to wait for the characters to catch up, while you can't do anything to make the game progress. I hope the ending is going to surprise me some way or the other

I bet that Okabe will have to kill Kurisu, some way or the other, in order to reach 1% convergence

Anyway it's been a fun ride.
You haven't even gotten a single ending yet, much less the true ending.
If you think that was a twist, you've got a bit storm coming. :)

Top Bottom