• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Corpekata

Banned
Got this after hearing about how this is so great all the time.

Does it ever drop the Otaku type stuff, or at least slow down on it? Finding everyone pretty grating so far. And the childhood friend girl, she always looks like she's about to sneeze or something.

After all the praise I guess I was caught off guard by how typical it seems so far.

Bittercup

Does it ever drop the Otaku type stuff, or at least slow down on it?
No that's part of the game and stays like that throughout it. But it's not the main focus. It's mainly used to paint the setting and the characters, not the story, which takes a while to really get started though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Does it ever drop the Otaku type stuff, or at least slow down on it? Finding everyone pretty grating so far. And the childhood friend girl, she always looks like she's about to sneeze or something.

After all the praise I guess I was caught off guard by how typical it seems so far.

The Otaku stuff sticks around. For people who don't care for that kind of stuff I am generally inclined to recommend the anime over the VN because it trims off a lot of that fat.

The story is a slow burn. Everything up until about the end of Chapter 5 is a setup for what comes after.

Dsyndrome

Near the end of Chapter 5, that sure as hell escalated quickly. Does the story thus far change significantly based on decisions made earlier, or is that just the end?

Near the end of Chapter 5, that sure as hell escalated quickly. Does the story thus far change significantly based on decisions made earlier, or is that just the end?

All endings except for two are based on decision(s) made in the single chapter that they bookend. The other two, one of them the true, are dependent on things from a chapter before 5 and through 'till the end. You will want a guide for those.

Jachaos

Most of the different endings depend on what you'll do from now on. Earlier choices mostly affect the replies you get (dialogue, wallpapers, songs, etc.) and the flow of the story.

The true ending depends on various choices you could make throughout the story but I doubt you have done all the choices that lead to that ending. You're probably going to want to use a guide to get it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally got around to starting this a few days ago, still on Ch. 1. So do the really big decision start around Ch. 4? Seems right now, it's just small things that give me stuff like wallpapers & such.

Had no idea you could "miss" the chance to call someone. I almost called Daru, but wanted to read more dialogue, but then the game was like "nah, I'll text him later".

Finally got around to starting this a few days ago, still on Ch. 1. So do the really big decision start around Ch. 4? Seems right now, it's just small things that give me stuff like wallpapers & such.

Had no idea you could "miss" the chance to call someone. I almost called Daru, but wanted to read more dialogue, but then the game was like "nah, I'll text him later".

Trying to be spoiler-free...
All the big story-changing decisions are pretty small things that you would have to be INSANELY lucky to make on your first playthrough. In the later chapters there are big decisions to make and you'll know when those come up but for the first few chapters you need to just sit back and enjoy the ride then replay it later after you've gotten a few endings.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, right now, I might just focus on the messages that let me get certain things, then focus on the different endings afterwards. I've only heard of one thing that puts you on the True Ending path.

Kind of a shame I see certain characters & remember "oh right, I wonder how the original VN handled certain moments compared to the anime", but oh well, everyone has said the game goes into more detail of certain stuff, so I'm sure there'll be a twist or two that wasn't covered in the anime.

Really early on but definitely enjoying it more than the anime(which is my 2nd favorite of all time.)
Everything just feels so much deeper and fleshed out.

Also having already watched the anime, I do get a kick out of reading through the @channel posts.

Hyped as hell but worried Zero will be a disappointment, especially if the resolution is
just the phone call
hoping Zero's worldline is wrapped up well in addition to that.

TRI Mike

I have a question regarding one of the endings. If you already finished all ending, please read and let's discuss.

In Faris' ending, Okabe travels to a worldline that isn't Alpha, Beta or the Steins;Gate one from the true ending. How did he do this¿ Is this ever explained¿ Somehow, this makes me believe the best possible outcome for the cast is Faris' ending instead of the true one because as Beta Suzuha says, the Steins;Gate worldline could still end up in either SERN ruling or WWIII because both SERN and Nakabachi are trying to make the time machines. If Okabe ends up being a player of RaiNet and boyfriend to Faris instead of befriending Mayuri and Daru, they'll never move to the lab so Mr. Braun will never become FB, SERN will never hire Moeka and the building won't be connected to the SERN servers because the lab is never going to be there to begin with. Kurisu probably never even wrote the Time Traveling theory as well. What does everyone think¿

I have a question regarding one of the endings. If you already finished all ending, please read and let's discuss.

In Faris' ending, Okabe travels to a worldline that isn't Alpha, Beta or the Steins;Gate one from the true ending. How did he do this¿ Is this ever explained¿ Somehow, this makes me believe the best possible outcome for the cast is Faris' ending instead of the true one because as Beta Suzuha says, the Steins;Gate worldline could still end up in either SERN ruling or WWIII because both SERN and Nakabachi are trying to make the time machines. If Okabe ends up being a player of RaiNet and boyfriend to Faris instead of befriending Mayuri and Daru, they'll never move to the lab so Mr. Braun will never become FB, SERN will never hire Moeka and the building won't be connected to the SERN servers because the lab is never going to be there to begin with. Kurisu probably never even wrote the Time Traveling theory as well. What does everyone think¿

It's not fully explained how he got to the Omega attractor field, but the very presence of the Divergence Meter in 2010 is a troubling sign that time travel does still come into play.

DoT2

I really suggest sticking with it, you will get to a part where you will no longer be able to stop playing the game. Although it is slow to start.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I think Mr Braun and Moeka would have been agents of SERN regardless of whether the lab was there or not. Also there is nothing that would have interfered with Nakabachi's findings without Okabe going to his lecture so WWIII would have still occurred. Kurisu's time travel findings and her paper occurred independent of Okabe.

jonjonaug

I think Mr Braun and Moeka would have been agents of SERN regardless of whether the lab was there or not. Also there is nothing that would have interfered with Nakabachi's findings without Okabe going to his lecture so WWIII would have still occurred. Kurisu's time travel findings and her paper occurred independent of Okabe.

Paper gets burned without the Metal Upa. Okabe never gets the Metal Upa in that worldline, because he never would've gone to that with Mayuri. Kurisu might still be dead though.

I've finished my first route yesterday and I have to say game is amazing. The writting is so good that I got completely sucked into it despite knowing what will happen from anime :)

Now I just need to unlock all other endings.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So has anyone tried to make a drinking game out of all the times Shining Finger texts you? Good lord, I knew she did it a lot in the anime, but here?!

& right now, only following a trophy guide for the missible stuff via text messages like the wallpapers & such, how much longer do I gotta wait to get the 2nd & 3rd song in Chapter 3? I gotta reload so I can get those RaiNet summaries, but the longer it takes, the more I question how much I'm gonna have to redo...

TRI Mike

I disagree about Moeka and Tennouji, the reason why SERN recruits them is because they somehow know Okabe's lab above the shop is crucial to the development of time travel because Echelon got the first D-Mail he sent and then they manipulated stuff in his life, like connecting the building directly to SERN's particle accelerator. If Okabe becomes just a normal dude that plays RaiNet with Faris, SERN's research in 2010 would be in a dead end.

jonjonaug

So has anyone tried to make a drinking game out of all the times Shining Finger texts you? Good lord, I knew she did it a lot in the anime, but here?!

& right now, only following a trophy guide for the missible stuff via text messages like the wallpapers & such, how much longer do I gotta wait to get the 2nd & 3rd song in Chapter 3? I gotta reload so I can get those RaiNet summaries, but the longer it takes, the more I question how much I'm gonna have to redo...

The skip function (on PC at least, not sure about consoles) is very quick, so don't worry about it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, skip function is AMAZINGLY fast. I'm at Chapter 5 right now, & made a couple of extra save files considering the major moments seem to happen in the following chapters, plus one more back in a previous chapter for the true ending.

I think the only optional thing left are those frog backgrounds, & I can't get those until I do the true ending, which I'll do last.

sora87

So is it best to go through this once just blind for the story then start all over with a guide for everything else?

So is it best to go through this once just blind for the story then start all over with a guide for everything else?

I would say so. Or even better, try to at least get to chapter 10 without a guide, that's easy enough (reloading a save and doing something differently should be enough to get you that far).

OMG Aero

Absolutely make your first playthrough blind. Thanks to the auto-save you can get all but one ending without having to start the game over, so once you finish the game you can reload a previous save and get the other endings. Then once you've got them start the game from the beginning using a guide for the final ending and thanks to the skip function that takes no time at all.

kgtrep

Finished a first run with Suzuha ending, repeating 8/11-13 was a sheer torture, haha.

I had grabbed the title during the recent sale not knowing what it was about (other than that the game is a visual novel), and am glad that I did.

Andrefpvs

Okay, I got to the point where I'm missing the two top-left endings. I imagine one of them is the true ending, so I wanted to get the other one first. So I started a new game making radically different email responses, but I still couldn't get the non-true ending I'm missing.

I'm very paranoid about spoilers for this game, so I haven't googled anything. Can someone please tell me here, with as little spoilers as possible, how to get that ending? I have saves for every chapter. I'd also appreciate a link to a spoiler-free guide for the true ending, since I'll be going for that one after.

Thank you <3

Prelude.

Okay, I got to the point where I'm missing the two top-left endings. I imagine one of them is the true ending, so I wanted to get the other one first. So I started a new game making radically different email responses, but I still couldn't get the non-true ending I'm missing.

I'm very paranoid about spoilers for this game, so I haven't googled anything. Can someone please tell me here, with as little spoilers as possible, how to get that ending? I have saves for every chapter. I'd also appreciate a link to a spoiler-free guide for the true ending, since I'll be going for that one after.

Thank you <3
You can use this flowchart, it's pretty much completely spoiler-free. It looks hard to read at first but it really isn't.

Sora_N

This game is amazing.

I already loved the anime that came out many years ago.

I took my Vita out with me today and played it since the trains were delayed. Couldn't help but smile when Okabe was being a douche as constantly as possible lol.

Im on chapter 3. I believe I should make a save at chapter 4 if I remember correctly.

Prelude.

This game is amazing.

I already loved the anime that came out many years ago.

I took my Vita out with me today and played it since the trains were delayed. Couldn't help but smile when Okabe was being a douche as constantly as possible lol.

Im on chapter 3. I believe I should make a save at chapter 4 if I remember correctly.
The game makes new saves at the start of every chapter automatically.

So a new episode of the anime just aired.

Well, not "new", but an alternative version of episode 23 (episode 23 &#946;), which plays out just like episode 23 but then diverges into another world line, obviously a set-up for the Steins;Gate 0 story.

Thought you guys might want to be aware of it.

EDIT: If you want to know the divergence point, here:
The episode diverged into the Beta world line when Mayuri refused to slap Okabe after he had returned from his failed attempt to save Kurisu. He also did not receive a video from his future self.

So a new episode of the anime just aired.

Well, not "new", but an alternative version of episode 23 (episode 23 &#946;), which plays out just like episode 23 but then diverges into something different, obviously a set-up for the Steins;Gate 0 story.

Thought you guys might want to be aware of it.
Whoah what????

So there's no thread to talk about Steins;Gate 0 is there?

People on /a/ are watching someone stream it and it's quite...interesting.

I'll only say the guy got one bad end, and after continuing something else happened...I'll post a link to my screenshot of the reaction if you're curious.

SPOILER FOR 0:
http://i.imgur.com/1maOSka.png

Top Bottom