• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Copy just arrived today, and after finishing Danganronpa 2 the day before, I'm a little surprised at all the Jojo references in these games. Of course, they're way more frequent and "in your face" in this game than DR2.

OMG Aero

Alright cool, so if I understood correctly I start another playthrough blind once again as there will be new content (like in a NG+) and only after that do I use one of those guides. Thanks everyone.
If the only ending you've got is the
Suzuha
ending you don't have to start a new game. Just reload a previous save (if you don't have one before the event with
Suzuha
starts check your autosaves as there will be one there) and since you've now got at least one ending there will be a UI change when you are at a branching path.
There is only one ending that you need to start a new game for (the true ending) and you should only look at a guide for that when you have got every other ending.

Copy just arrived today, and after finishing Danganronpa 2 the day before, I'm a little surprised at all the Jojo references in these games. Of course, they're way more frequent and "in your face" in this game than DR2.

It's a game about otaku in Akihabara, of course there are going to be references.

Copy arrived, played like 5 minutes, but I'm just curious if there is other gameplay (compared to say, Danganronpa) than just reading? Just curious.

Roto13

Copy arrived, played like 5 minutes, but I'm just curious if there is other gameplay (compared to say, Danganronpa) than just reading? Just curious.

You can reply to emails by selecting words. And occasionally make a phone call. That's it. It's very gameplay light.

I just saw a news on Steins;Gate 0 (contains spoiler of the first game : http://gematsu.com/2015/09/steinsgate-0-characters-detailed )

And I'm a bit sad that we're going to explore the beta worldline, since Kurisu was my favorite character and I really liked the "couple" Okabe x Kurisu :(
Well she'll be there, but in an IA form (even though we can expect some plot twist x) )

Anyway... This sequel can't come soon enough...

adz2ka

Hi guys, wondering if you can help.

So I finished the game last night and got the default ending
Suzuha ending

Now I want to go back and use a guide to attain all the remaining endings. I'm looking at a couple of guides that pinpoint exactly what I need to do and reply to who in emails etc, but during my second playthrough I'm not getting the option to reply to certain emails - for example the Mayuri - Upa email.

Is this because either I've replied to them in my first playthrough, or is there a strict time limit on how long you have to reply to said emails? Obviously my second playthrough I have my finger constantly on R1 to skip the text so I have an incline it may be the latter.

If someone could clarify though that would be appreciated!

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
You have to respond within a certain time. I had the same thing happen often when going for the true ending with aid of a guide - the window is fairly narrow on some of them, and if you get a background change then you've usually missed it.

TheChaos0

Suzuha ending

Now I want to go back and use a guide to attain all the remaining endings. I'm looking at a couple of guides that pinpoint exactly what I need to do and reply to who in emails etc, but during my second playthrough I'm not getting the option to reply to certain emails - for example the Mayuri - Upa email.

Is this because either I've replied to them in my first playthrough, or is there a strict time limit on how long you have to reply to said emails? Obviously my second playthrough I have my finger constantly on R1 to skip the text so I have an incline it may be the latter.

If someone could clarify though that would be appreciated!

As far as I remember, certain replies lock out messages from other people. Don't think you can get them all in one playthrough. You don't really need to mess around with all the text messages, there's only a certain chain that matters for the True ending.

adz2ka

You have to respond within a certain time. I had the same thing happen often when going for the true ending with aid of a guide - the window is fairly narrow on some of them, and if you get a background change then you've usually missed it.

Thanks for the quick response.

Is there any way to check for markers for when we should be approaching each email, or is the best thing to do in this instance to save after each email reply, hold r1 and hope you stop around the time of the next email, save and repeat?

As far as I remember, certain replies lock out messages from other people. Don't think you can get them all in one playthrough. You don't really need to mess around with all the text messages, there's only a certain chain that matters for the True ending.

Sorry, I meant endings and achievements too

Thoraxes

Man, Amazon still has not shipped my Vita copy yet. I wonder what the holdup is.

I kinda wanted this for my 4-day weekend, but I don't think that's going to be the case anymore.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I just had to keep taking my finger off the skip button so it didn't constantly steam ahead. Saving frequently makes sense, especially in chapter 4 where you have a lot to respond to, and re-starting from the beginning would be a real pain.

Don't use Force Skip guys, use normal skip. It stops on decision points and unread text (and you don't have to hold it down). Should be Start on the default controls.

LProtag

So do I have to follow a guide to get through this as quickly as possible? Or should I just play through it once without looking and then I can skip ahead easily during new game+?

I don't have as much time as I would like to leisurely stroll through the game.

Roto13

So do I have to follow a guide to get through this as quickly as possible? Or should I just play through it once without looking and then I can skip ahead easily during new game+?

I don't have as much time as I would like to leisurely stroll through the game.

You'll need a guide to get the true ending, but you'll get some ending no matter what. You can't lose.

You can skip text you've already read (either in repeat playthroughs or from loading earlier saves) with start. There's no New Game +, but certain things carry over between saves anyway.

LProtag

You'll need a guide to get the true ending, but you'll get some ending no matter what. You can't lose.

You can skip text you've already read (either in repeat playthroughs or from loading earlier saves) with start. There's no New Game +, but certain things carry over between saves anyway.

Ah. So it's fine to just play through and then play through again while skipping and making different decisions, etc?

BTA

Finally starting this tonight, I guess. It might end up taking me a month or two to actually get through completely, though. I'm looking forward to reading through all of the spoilered stuff in this thread that I've had to skip over once I'm done!

EDIT: Just made it past the prologue. 2 questions so far:

1. Should I be messing with any of the audio settings? Okarin sounds weirdly low volume compared to the BGM sometimes.
2. Did we actually just get the PC opening video/song as the OP rather than the new one that was made for the port? I'm not really complaining since I like Skyclad Observer, but that's kinda weird, huh.

EDIT2: Is the confirm option for setting your phone wallpaper supposed to say "set as ringtone", because... huh?

Shizuka

I finished all Steins;Gate endings today and also read all informations regarding the upcoming Steins;Gate 0. Now I get why some people called it a
midquel
. Afterwards, I looked up the voice cast for the game, since I recognized most of the voices.

Kurisu had the same voice as Corpse Party's Ayumi, and I was right. Now, guess who the voice actress for Suzuha also voiced in another mystery visual novel? I bet at least one of you will get the reference.

BTA

Those 3 thoughts I had earlier stand, but I'm stopping for the night about 2 hours in. I'm enjoying it a lot so far; it's definitely a slow start but better than Chaos;Head's start, in my opinion. Okarin doesn't really bother me much so far- maybe he'll get more grating over time, but I think it's more that he's just such an improvement from Takumi, in that the writing handles joking about him way better and also in that he can, uh, actually speak normally. Soundtrack already seems better than Chaos' as well, and I liked that one a good amount, so that's a good sign.

This shit with Luka's gonna get real old real fast though. Rather, it already has.
I get it, game. You think it's ~hilarious~ that Okarin might be attracted to Luka because Luka has feminine features except then "But he's a guy." It was a really shitty joke the first time and it was a really shitty joke the next 6 or so times you repeated it within a minute. We get it, you enjoy being weird about gender roles/stereotypes and think homophobia's a good quick punchline. Can we move on now?
It's basically in the OP, but just in case, spoilered.

On one hand, I expected it to be some drawn out reveal/twist and I'm happy it's not. On the other hand, it's this.

Roto13

Those 3 thoughts I had earlier stand, but I'm stopping for the night about 2 hours in. I'm enjoying it a lot so far; it's definitely a slow start but better than Chaos;Head's start, in my opinion. Okarin doesn't really bother me much so far- maybe he'll get more grating over time, but I think it's more that he's just such an improvement from Takumi, in that the writing handles joking about him way better and also in that he can, uh, actually speak normally. Soundtrack already seems better than Chaos' as well, and I liked that one a good amount, so that's a good sign.

This shit with Luka's gonna get real old real fast though. Rather, it already has.
I get it, game. You think it's ~hilarious~ that Okarin might be attracted to Luka because Luka has feminine features except then "But he's a guy." It was a really shitty joke the first time and it was a really shitty joke the next 6 or so times you repeated it within a minute. We get it, you enjoy being weird about gender roles/stereotypes and think homophobia's a good quick punchline. Can we move on now?

On one hand, I expected it to be some drawn out reveal/twist and I'm happy it's not. On the other hand, it's this.

They do use the word "trap" at least twice, so look forward to that!

Clov

I knew it was coming since I had already watched the anime, but yeah, it's pretty annoying. Really wish that was handled better.

On a different note, I've been looking at and replying to every message I get. Are there some cases where it's better to ignore a message? Will replying to everything somehow screw me over in the end?

MSMrRound

Are there some cases where it's better to ignore a message? Will replying to everything somehow screw me over in the end?

Eh...not really. It's up to you I guess. Choosing certain portions of the message to reply to will unlock some of the stuff you need for galleries/trophies etc.

However, depending on how to reply to some messages, you could find yourself being locked to certain routes e.g True Ending requires you to ->choose this particular line->*now that you replied that line, you will trigger another incoming message where you need to choose another particular line so on and so forth to lock yourself into the true ending path.

There's a flowchart that you can refer to, but I highly recommend that you avoid it for the time being if you do not want to spoil yourself by accident.

BTA

They do use the word "trap" at least twice, so look forward to that!

Figured that'd come up at some point, ugh. Thanks for the heads up!

It's not like I expected this to be handled well, especially since Chaos;Head has a scene with a similar "joke" early in the game, but at least that was over with quickly and never done again.

jonjonaug

Figured that'd come up at some point, ugh. Thanks for the heads up!

It's not like I expected this to be handled well, especially since Chaos;Head has a scene with a similar "joke" early in the game, but at least that was over with quickly and never done again.

Later game spoilers:
It's treated a bit more seriously later on during the Luka focused chapter, at least. Luka's ending is still the worst, but not for those reasons.

Bittercup

Suzuha ending

Now I want to go back and use a guide to attain all the remaining endings. I'm looking at a couple of guides that pinpoint exactly what I need to do and reply to who in emails etc,
At this point I wouldn't use a guide. So far you have seen maybe half of the actual game. Just load the last auto save and
send the d-mail to not get on the Suzuha's ending path
and continue on from there.
Only for the true ending you probably need to start fresh and a guide might be helpful. So I would do that last and play without a guide until then.

Story is pretty interesting and engaging, but I am slightly disappointed at just how little "gameplay" there is. I know, I know, this is a visual novel, but I had hoped for a little more interactivity.

However, the story is cool enough that I will probably finish it.

BTA

Finished chapter 1. Braun's introduction was a little uncomfortable, but not nearly as bad as Luka's was. Everything past that was pretty great.

I'm really surprised at how many Chaos;Head references there are. I thought it was just going to be a few little things and FES, and instead it's already pretty heavily referenced through
Mayuri's texts
so far at the very least.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bah, I now have the money to get this, but considering I'm getting about 5 games this month, I might wait until I'm a bit more financially secure & game releases have slowed down in Oct. (& I just got Danganronpa AE today).

I highly doubt it, but what're the chances Amazon could put this on sale in the future, maybe as part of Black Friday?

Edit: Oh wow, there's references to Chaos;Head? Not sure if I'll notice them though, considering I almost fell asleep watching most of the anime version.

Man, Amazon still has not shipped my Vita copy yet. I wonder what the holdup is.

I kinda wanted this for my 4-day weekend, but I don't think that's going to be the case anymore.

I haven't gotten mine yet either! Was supposed to arrive on Friday and here it is Saturday! It still hasn't even shown that it's shipped yet. I did get an email early this morning saying that I'll get a shipping confirmation in the next business day... which, actually, might not even be until Tuesday!

EDIT: Just checked the mail and there it was!

BTA

Bah, I now have the money to get this, but considering I'm getting about 5 games this month, I might wait until I'm a bit more financially secure & game releases have slowed down in Oct. (& I just got Danganronpa AE today).

I highly doubt it, but what're the chances Amazon could put this on sale in the future, maybe as part of Black Friday?

Edit: Oh wow, there's references to Chaos;Head? Not sure if I'll notice them though, considering I almost fell asleep watching most of the anime version.

So far it's just been stuff like talking about Gero Froggy, but then there was a reference to (late Chaos;Head event)
a big earthquake in Shibuya
that I didn't expect to hear about. Neidhart was also mentioned at some point, and honestly that reference is the most interesting to me, since it wasn't always clear in Choas;Head if Takumi was actually correct in thinking his username was that well known.

I guess this just makes me happy that I did go through Chaos;Head first, since seeing this stuff is more interesting than I expected and it doesn't feel like the kind of thing you'd necessarily remember if you play Chaos;Head second.

Top Bottom