• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 announced (Early 2016, PC/PS4/XB1, Miyazaki Directing)

Foffy

Banned
Dark Souldiers,
Do the first two games (DS1 and DS2) tie into each other? My first "Souls" game is Bloodborne, but I'd like to try out Dark Souls 3 later. Just wondering if I should play the first two.

The problem of the second game is that it leaned TOO heavily on the first in terms of lore and ideas.

Anth0ny

Dark Souldiers,
Do the first two games (DS1 and DS2) tie into each other? My first "Souls" game is Bloodborne, but I'd like to try out Dark Souls 3 later. Just wondering if I should play the first two.

They don't tie into each other, but you should play the first two because they are amazing games. Dark Souls 1 in particular is the game of the generation and one of the greatest games ever made :)

Walpurgis

Banned
The CGI trailer was lame. Dark Souls II's was way more hype and I don't like how this trailer is reliant on Dark Souls II + DLC knowledge. Instead of showing callbacks, they should have showed the location (Lordran again? somewhere new?) and new story. I don't really care if they use Dark Souls II lore but I wish they wouldn't have wasted CGI on that. The CGI should define Dark Souls III like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls had. This was also rather short so I guess there will be more in the actual game.

Walpurgis

Banned
The problem of the second game is that it leaned TOO heavily on the first in terms of lore and ideas.

I think the problem with the second game was that the NPCs talked too much. Sometimes I would feel like they were explaining the story to me in a very obvious way. They also did the same when referencing Dark Souls 1. If they wanted to make the story more clear, they should have had an NPC like the monumental or something at that hub area who could explain things. Or they could have used the red head.

ElFly

(Pic from some lovely Gaffer who took a lovely shot of Anor Londo)

Compare this shot to the one in the trailer, other than it being mirrored in the trailer (possibly viewed from the other side) it matches almost perfectly.

(Link to original post because I'm not a dick: HERE

It seems similar too to the place that is shown in the Dark Souls 2 Intro, when the witch says "They called it Drangleic".

WHDtA1O.jpg

elohel

Dark Souldiers,

strong vague ties if that makes sense

It's referential and yes you should play both they're excellent games

Adaren

Agreed. I'm hopeful that this game will do things differently.

DS1 and DS2 both took place at a similar point in the "cycle", when the kingdom was just starting to fall into ruin and the fire needed to be rekindled.

From what we've seen of DS3, it looks like it takes place at a very "low" point in the cycle: the fire has failed to be rekindled, and the kingdom is in the early stages of a Dark Age.

I'm hopeful that this change in backstory helps the game stand out on its own.

ElFly

Nah, it more like the Dark Souls Crystal.

K1FPY9G.jpg

Oh that's really interesting. Particularly as Dark Crystal also has a plot relating to immortal beings and restoring mortality by searching for the titular MacGuffin. And a king who keeps on living by sucking the souls of his subjects. Well at least that's what I got reading the wiki summary. Gotta watch this.

Wonder what the ending for the series will be. Assume that someone finally reunites the dark soul in one place (the crown?) and fucks over the humans, who all become hollow and collapse, and something else takes humanity's place. The giants?

The most important thing for the game, if they are going with a connected world, is that there's no hub and no levelling lady. No matter if Miyazaki directs, team b, team c, whatever, just take away the hub and the rest of the design decisions will flow into another DS1.

Phased

It seems similar too to the place that is shown in the Dark Souls 2 Intro, when the witch says "They called it Drangleic".

To be fair a LOT of the architecture in Dark Souls is very similar. I remember people were wondering if the place shown in the DS2 intro (Which turned out to be the Dragon Shrine I think) was Anor Londo from DS1.

They just have extremely similar style across the games. They love their towers and chapels.

Northwest

Banned
Agreed. I'm hopeful that this game will do things differently.

DS1 and DS2 both took place at a similar point in the "cycle", when the kingdom was just starting to fall into ruin and the fire needed to be rekindled.

From what we've seen of DS3, it looks like it takes place at a very "low" point in the cycle: the fire has failed to be rekindled, and the kingdom is in the early stages of a Dark Age.

I'm hopeful that this change in backstory helps the game stand out on its own.

What if DaS 3 actually follows the other DaS 1 ending ?

ElFly

To be fair a LOT of the architecture in Dark Souls is very similar. I remember people were wondering if the place shown in the DS2 intro (Which turned out to be the Dragon Shrine I think) was Anor Londo from DS1.

They just have extremely similar style across the games. They love their towers and chapels.

Yeah those arches are present in Heide too.

What if DaS 3 actually follows the other DaS 1 ending ?

Technically Vendrick chose the Dark Age ending, since he didn't link the fire. It just happened a few cycles after Gwyn (going by the amount of Sublime Bone Dust in the game, the first flame has been rekindled 5 times).

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Oh what a sweet bloody nightmare.

TrutaS

FROM Software is really scratching their horror itch. The art is looking really good, but I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer the franchises to be more distinguishable art-wise (Souls and Bloodborne).

Seanspeed

Banned
FROM Software is really scratching their horror itch. The art is looking really good, but I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer the franchises to be more distinguishable art-wise (Souls and Bloodborne).
Looks very Bloodborne-ish definitely.

I hope its got a bright side like Souls games do. One of my favourite things about the Souls games are its varied environments without any one strict art style.

Houndi101

11416359_886714341401611_5174996479498033527_o.jpg

The fountain may lead away from the desolation but it requires a sacrifice. What will you give to satisfy its demands? ‪#‎OnlyEmbersRemain‬

Hahaa time for theories

The Know were right about everything

Hmm...Peeves most recent tweet seems pretty somber and doesnt mention anything about Ds3. Wonder if the preview already happened..

Peeve Peeverson
‏@Peeverson
At E3...playing Bloodborne.

Yup.

Top Bottom