• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves announced (Rare, XB1/PC, UE4, Pirates, Shared World Multiplayer)

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
There was definitely a slave with a gamertag over top of it

"Hey let's meet up on the dock!"
"Can you come cut off my chains?"

Crayolan

For people asking "how is this not rare", the character it design says it all. Rare characters are always designed to look goofy or over the top.

Compare these Rare pirates:
Y3yb.png

With this Rareware pirate:
Captain_Blackeye.png

I'm not very excited if it's a MMO that requires lots of people to play at once. If it's a cool single player game that has online co-op that's fine, but...ehhh.

Still open minded about it though. I want to see gameplay, and maybe confirmation that it doesn't have to be online or anything.

Leflus

I love the graphics and the concept, but I'm a bit disappointed that it's an MMO-like game.

I was hoping for a new single-player adventure. Will still try it, though. It looked like fun.

wishdom

So I guess Rare will continue developing the game after release too, like every MMO out there.
Not a bad thing if the game turns out great.

Chobel

MMO only? Can it be played solo?

And this was like Lionhead game tbh, didn't get any Rare vibe from it.

I'm not an MMO guy but damnit, I'm probably going to have to check this out. I'm happy to see Rare try something new that isn't Kinect Sports-related. I personally have no need for them to revisit their older IPs (though I wouldn't be sad if a new Battletoads is being worked on!).

params7

Banned
I'm not very excited if it's a MMO that requires lots of people to play at once. If it's a cool single player game that has online co-op that's fine, but...ehhh.

Still open minded about it though. I want to see gameplay, and maybe confirmation that it doesn't have to be online or anything.

MMO's are online-only. Think FF14, World Of Warcraft, etc..

Gartooth

Wow fuck this, all this teasing for an online MMO.

The Rare Collection sounds nice but isn't worth a console purchase since I still have copies of most of those games. Guess it is time to give more money to Playtonic.

Empty

cool. i like rare when they're in a weird inventive surprising mood like viva pinata, nuts & bolts, not so much when they're in mediocre miyamoto cover mood. i think people who want the old style will be well catered for on kickstarter anyway.

Ansatz

For people asking "how is this not rare", the character it design says it all. Rare characters are always designed to look goofy or over the top.

Compare these Rare pirates:

With this Rareware pirate:

This is probably why this game didn't grab me. I like the colorful visuals but the it factor is missing. It's not the same without the Rare charm.

Dabanton

I'm currently playing through AC:Black Flag so a more fun MP experience of that kind of game is quite exciting.

Are ship battles against other players?

MarkusRJR

Looking at the trailer again it doesn't even look like a rare game. Looks super generic.

Even more disappointed this is all they have to show.

Illucio

Banned
I wonder if this game will star Captain Blackeye.... If he's in the game as the main villain/character/ect. Then I will say for sure this game will be officially awesome.

Uhyve

Looks so good... but I just can't see myself arranging to play with 5 or 6 people every time I want to play. Hell, I only know 1 other person who owns an Xbox One, I'd have to rely on randoms, at that point NPCs seem preferable.

The true essence of Rare is taking a genre (whether it be motion sports, 3D platforming, FPS, Fighting Games etc) and turning it into something special and unique.

MMO is a new step for Rare's already massive stable.

This is Rare.

DrD

I was expecting a new IP, but I was also expecting it to be a 3D platformer so this surprised me. I love pirates but a MMO... it's not for me.

Rare still has another unannounced game running on Unity, don't they?

RK128

Project Dream lives! That could be why the Rare founder was hinting at leaking the prototypes for Dream; hyping up this new Rare tittle.

I know many wanted a new Banjo or Battletoads....but this is the smarter direction for Rare I think :). Many people who were originally at Rare are gone and while a good deal of the Banjo team is present still, they shouldn't try to surpass the tittles they worked on in the past.

This is a new Rare, similar to how Retro was 'new' when DKCR was announced; new people under the same name. Like what Retro did, I hope Rare does here, making an new IP or doing something they have never done before and nailing that, showing the world "Hey! We are still Rare. Just a little bit different then before ;)".

I wonder if Grant is going to make the soundtrack, as if this mirrors Project Dream in any fashion, I would love to hear his Dream OST come back in full force :D. Today is a great day to be a fan of Rare and I have hope they also announce more games in the future (maybe that rumored Battletoads game is an Gamescom announcement).

I was excited for a new Rare IP, but this... this is not what I had in mind at all. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, unfortunately.

Top Bottom