• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel: New 'Hercules' ongoing will feature a heterosexual protagonist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africanus

herc1.jpg

This here is a cliff-hanger. What was the first word?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
There's a bunch of people on Twitter really mad about this.

They're still regularly dumping money into Marvel/DC properties on a regular basis after constant social justice snafus on an almost regular basis.

Nothing's going to change.

i don't think outraged twitter users make up enough of a percentage of their sales for them to cave to them

What a lame development.

Had the opportunity to build on an aspect of his character that had precedence in two previous iterations and have a cool bisexual leading man, but decided to play it safe instead. :/

Volimar

Like full straight.

I dislike the "gay in an alternate universe" thing. It stinks of testing the waters and attempting to appease those looking for diversity without ever having to commit to it.

Platy

It was a throwaway comment in one issue.

Doesn't count as major character development.

You can still look at him as bi or omnisexual, just that the current writer is choosing not to cover it.

I'm starting to hate comics, creators, and their fans for things like this.

Having a character be one way, but then changing them into something else.

Like the whole doombots retcon thing. But when you do it with social issues people take personal stock.

If you are bisexual and you only dates girls for some time you .... still are bisexual

Wiktor

I just don't understand what the outrage is about. It's not like he ever was bisexual in main continuity.
Also..why was Wolverine spared similiar outrage?

Monocle

What a lame development.

Had the opportunity to build on an aspect of his character that had precedence in two previous iterations and have a cool bisexual leading man, but decided to play it safe instead. :/
It's just alternate universe stuff, so it totally doesn't have any bearing on the character at all. The writers can conveniently drop any trait they want. Herc dipped his toes into the gay end of the pool and decided it wasn't for him. As one does. He's 100% straight now, don't worry about it!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
There isn't a solid piece of mainstream continuity that confirms it. It could happen later but as of now he isn't Bi.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
There's a bunch of people on Twitter really mad about this.

They're still regularly dumping money into Marvel/DC properties on a regular basis after constant social justice snafus on an almost regular basis.

Nothing's going to change.

Oh please Herc is epic straight in the 616 just look at his book when he died before his Oblivion cross over. Cho had to go tell so many women half he banged the other half he was just caring for but his story is based on his family dying. It was the reason he sided with Hulk in WWH his family was taken from him by a plot of the gods he could relate. He wanted to bang Jane Foster too but Thor wasn't having it till Odin did the power sap mid fight.

What does making Herc gay do anyway besides changing his origin?

I had no idea this even was a thing. I loved Pak Hercules and Abnett is pretty good so right now, I'm vaguely interested.

On the gay Hercules thing, having completely missed the buildup to this, it's so weird to read news that says "Hercules will be heterosexual".

Please stop mentioning Austen, guys. Fucking Austen.

antonz

Fuck those guys for caring about bisexual representation.

When a character in his entire existence is basically known for sleeping with or trying to sleep with every woman possible it comes across as a rather lame attempt to shoehorn onto that character characteristics that never existed in the first place.

Just like it was lame to pull the sudden Iceman is gay thing. His entire existence was chasing after women and suddenly no you are just a closeted gay man

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I thought he was bi in 616, too and that made people angry... But why the hell are people offended when this is not even the same Hercules?

I see where they come from... But why are people with understanding of the Marvel Multiverse than angry? Oo

Axel should shut the fuck up regardlessly, he shit talks on a regular basis...

Weiss

Banned
When a character in his entire existence is basically known for sleeping with or trying to sleep with every woman possible it comes across as a rather lame attempt to shoehorn onto that character characteristics that never existed in the first place.

Just like it was lame to pull the sudden Iceman is gay thing. His entire existence was chasing after women and suddenly no you are just a closeted gay man

I never knew bi dudes never slept with women.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Seriously, dumb PR. Didn't even need to say "wait and see", which would have been purposefully misleading, he could've just said something like "the romantic subplot involves a women, that's not necessarily saying that he's straight, he could be bi but his orientation is never really discussed". And then nobody would be talking about this.

Please, let's not act like 'straight' in comic-books means anything. The amount of ho-yay with 90% of these characters is borderline text at this point.

Doesn't sound like a character that would be all that beneficial to bi representation.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I never knew bi dudes never slept with women.

Yeah, they're not painting him as bi. At all. They're painting him as a homosexual man. Which is fine, except comic-books have given us the internal thoughts of Drake for five decades and it's never been a part of his character, or hinted at beyond theories fans have read into the character and used increasingly nebulous logic to back up said theory, before.

It is absolutely a retcon. And if that's their direction they're going... it's cool. Just pulling the 'it was always there' card is utter bullshit. It wasn't. Which is a shame, because really ONE of the original five being gay in the 1960s would've been some progressive as fuck brilliance. But even Marvel didn't have the balls back then for that.

Weiss

Banned
Yeah, they're not painting him as bi. At all. They're painting him as a homosexual man. Which is fine, except comic-books have given us the internal thoughts of Drake for five decades and it's never been a part of his character, or hinted at beyond theories fans have read into the character and used increasingly nebulous logic to back up said theory, before.

It is absolutely a retcon. And if that's their direction they're going... it's cool. Just pulling the 'it was always there' card is utter bullshit. It wasn't. Which is a shame, because really ONE of the original five being gay in the 1960s would've been some progressive as fuck brilliance. But even Marvel didn't have the balls back then for that.

I was talking about Hercules.

I feel they should have gone with Bobby being bi, and the dialogue where he suggests it and Jean shoots him down was cringe inducing awfulness.

Sometimes I can totally see why some characters are gay just to show that Marvel takes care of social justice, like in a totally unrelated story they have to keep mentioning it, that makes me a little angry, it takes me out from the story. Of course I'm in for more gay, female, black characters, but with actual good writing, and some writers did a good job in that side.
With this being said, Hercules sucks.

Weiss

Banned
Sometimes I can totally see why some characters are gay just to show that Marvel takes care of social justice, like in a totally unrelated story they have to keep mentioning it, that makes me a little angry, it takes me out from the story. Of course I'm in for more gay, female, black characters, but with actual good writing, and some writers did a good job in that side.

Why do minority, female, and LGBT heroes have to be justified? Why can't they just be there without the barrier of "good writing", whatever that means in relation to representation.

Hagi

All us hetero's manage fine in stories with shit writing it's about time everybody else gets a taste of that as well.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Isn't that the entire point of the X-Men? That it's an allegory for prejudice?

It feels incredibly pandery and ham fisted when the incredible thing about these characters isn't their power or how they deal with it, but sexuality or race.

It becomes a spectacle in and of itself, when stuff like that shouldn't be defining these characters in the slightest. Don't make a big deal out of a character who's a minority, just do it, because when you treat doing the right thing like you deserve a pat on the back or something, it just seems like you're doing it for the edginess factor or marketing move.

Why do minority, female, and LGBT heroes have to be justified? Why can't they just be there without the barrier of "good writing", whatever that means in relation to representation.

Because when Spider-Man becomes mexican or Thor becomes a woman, personally it feels cheapened to me. Like they aren't standing on their own two feet. Minority characters deserve the same quality of writing as any other comic, not kitschy gimmicks because they aren't confident in the concept.

It's the same sort of problem that I have with comicbooks in general really, like when Superman and Batman both "died" to sell comic books. It doesn't feel like a narrative that they care about, it feels like a method for generating sales.

Squire

Banned
What a lame development.

Not that it makes it any better, but I think it's less a case of fear and more one of ignorance/lack of consideration. Credit where it's due, they've done bisexual characters before. Off the top of my head, Wolverine's son, Daken, who was a recurring villain for a good 4-5 years in recent stuff.

It's just alternate universe stuff, so it totally doesn't have any bearing on the character at all. The writers can conveniently drop any trait they want. Herc dipped his toes into the gay end of the pool and decided it wasn't for him. As one does. He's 100% straight now, don't worry about it!

Read the whole article. The alt universe comment is a nice cherry to pick, but it does sound like 616 Herc was bi up until now.

Monocle

Finally! Us heteros are very underrepresented in media
/s
You joke but it's impossible to watch, read, or listen to anything these days without the existence of gay people and their LBGQTLMNOP-whatever friends being thrown in your face. I'm a guy with simple tastes. My dick is for women, my butt is for toilets, and my brain is for nonthreatening entertainment that reinforces my worldview, like pro hockey and wet t-shirt contests and pig wrasslin'.

I don't read comics but if I was some nerdy little pussy I think I'd still be pissed off that a badass like Hercules had to spread his glutes for the PC agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a homophobe. I was raised by a pack of gay wolves, and they all agree that Hercules should be a real man. Sorry if this offended anyone, I'm just speaking the truth how I see it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I was talking about Hercules.

I feel they should have gone with Bobby being bi, and the dialogue where he suggests it and Jean shoots him down was cringe inducing awfulness.

The solution for Hercules would just to be Marvel going 'he's fluid sexually.' In short, he has periods where he'll sleep with men, periods with women, periods with both, periods where he doesn't sleep with anyone etc. I mean he's a God, isn't the point of Gods to be above such base human terminologies.

Dazza

Well if they want to talk specifics, he had a wife in the greek mythology story...

If Herc is anything like his father, Zeus, he would swing both ways. Remember bisexuality wasn't uncommon in Greece, many emperors, Alexander the Great, Socrates, Plato and Spartans, most of whom also had wives

Weiss

Banned
Because when Spider-Man becomes mexican or Thor becomes a woman, personally it feels cheapened to me. Like they aren't standing on their own two feet. Minority characters deserve the same quality of writing as any other comic, not kitschy gimmicks because they aren't confident in the concept.

It's the same sort of problem that I have with comicbooks in general really, like when Superman and Batman both "died" to sell comic books. It doesn't feel like a narrative that they care about, it feels like a method for generating sales.

Both of those roles were passed down to other people. The original characters didn't "become" them or whatever.

Besides that, Thor has been a smash success for Marvel and has sold more than the original has in years. Miles Morales retains a die hard fanbase and is going to be appearing the main universe.

There's no point in unnecessarily limiting the definition of what is or isn't the "proper" way to include underrepresented groups, especially since when they do it your way, nobody ever buys them. They've had greater success with Kamala Khan and the new Thor then they ever have any other way.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Both of those roles were passed down to other people. The original characters didn't "become" them or whatever.

Besides that, Thor has been a smash success for Marvel and has sold more than the original has in years. Miles Morales retains a die hard fanbase and is going to be appearing the main universe.

There's no point in unnecessarily limiting the definition of what is or isn't the "proper" way to include underrepresented groups, especially since when they do it your way, nobody ever buys them. They've had greater success with Kamala Khan and the new Thor then they ever have any other way.

But that's the thing, it just feels like a cheapened shortcut to me. People aren't interested in new minority characters because they're always handed off to shitty writers. People buy up Female Thor because they want to see the "controversy" unfold.

It's a lot easier to get people to buy your comic when all the news says is: "Spider-man now mexican! Thor now Female!"

Also it just reeks of temporariness. Loki eventually became a man again, I'm sure Miles will become Spider-boy or something soon too. I hate that. Dick Greyson was Batman for a good long while, and now he isn't, and the 'Greyson' comic was good, but not as good as when Bruce was "dead".

Monocle

Read the whole article. The alt universe comment is a nice cherry to pick, but it does sound like 616 Herc was bi up until now.
I know! I probably didn't push my sarcasm as far as I could have.

The solution for Hercules would just to be Marvel going 'he's fluid sexually.' In short, he has periods where he'll sleep with men, periods with women, periods with both, periods where he doesn't sleep with anyone etc. I mean he's a God, isn't the point of Gods to be above such base human terminologies.
What wrong with base human terminology if it accurately describes a phenomenon or state or whatever? Hercules can bleed, right? Well I guess he's not above our base human term for losing blood. He's also a pretty big dude. My primitive human mind would consider him muscular. Is he above that descriptor?

If he's attracted to males and females, there's nothing misleading about calling him bisexual.

Weiss

Banned
But that's the thing, it just feels like a cheapened shortcut to me. People aren't interested in new minority characters because they're always handed off to shitty writers. People buy up Female Thor because they want to see the "controversy" unfold.

It's a lot easier to get people to buy your comic when all the news says is: "Spider-man now mexican! Thor now Female!"

Also it just reeks of temporariness. Loki eventually became a man again, I'm sure Miles will become Spider-boy or something soon too. I hate that. Dick Greyson was Batman for a good long while, and now he isn't, and the 'Greyson' comic was good, but not as good as when Bruce was "dead".

Maybe people are just genuinely interested in the new Thor. Maybe she's just way more interesting to them than the old Thor ever was.

I bought Ms. Marvel because I heard good things about it, and also because it had a female lead and a Muslim hero that the story didn't shy away from. Kamala's religion and culture is an established aspect of her character, like how it is in real life.

Hagi

Well if they want to talk specifics, he had a wife in the greek mythology story...

I can get being upset/disappointed that they didn't continue that plotline, but outrage?

Well if they really want to talk specifics it's said he had male lovers in Greek mythological stories as well...

BokehKing

Banned
Comes down to the fact marvel should be creating new characters with all these PC traits instead of these shock "guess which marvel hero likes men this week!" or spinning the PC wheel to see what to shoe horn I next.

I rather see a "Marvel set to introduce..."
Type of headline then
"guess who is now not Caucasian and likes men, and at the same time a Republican....

STAR LORD! "

People, is anybody in there gonna tell us what that "first word" was ? I really want to know what these scary superwomen think of Hercules right now.

Weiss

Banned
Comes down to the fact marvel should be creating new characters with all these PC traits instead of these shock "guess which marvel hero likes men this week!" or spinning the PC wheel to see what to shoe horn I next.

I rather see a "Marvel set to introduce..."
Type of headline then
"guess who is now not Caucasian and likes men, and at the same time a Republican....

STAR LORD! "

Sexual orientation is not a character trait. It's not a bullet point on a resume.

Unless you're a total jackass there's no reason to think that way.

Mindwipe

Seriously, dumb PR. Didn't even need to say "wait and see", which would have been purposefully misleading, he could've just said something like "the romantic subplot involves a women, that's not necessarily saying that he's straight, he could be bi but his orientation is never really discussed". And then nobody would be talking about this.

Exactly this. It's the easiest thing on the world. Instead Marvel PR built a bear pit, took two steps back to admire their handywork, and then walked right into it. Idiots.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Sexual orientation is not a character trait. It's not a bullet point on a resume.

Unless you're a total jackass there's no reason to think that way.

That seems to be his point. Why is Marvel treating it like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom