• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave shmups coming to Steam - Winter 2015, published by Degica

http://i.imgur.com/9boBQyF.jpg Even though I'm only a fan of the Dodonpachi series, I'd buy everything they port.

I'll join you in this purge.

8V4KTJu.jpg

Yes I have a death grip to not drop it in the toilet. oh my god was I so scared. I admit it.

Whoa...

Whooooa.

Like, I might buy all of the games they release =O

Never heard of a bad CAVE shmup.

Somehow I kind hope they release these one at a time so I can get them all on preorder/day one.

Kumubou

For a decade+ old game in a super niche genre that's gone on sale all of what, twice? I think that's a reasonably solid number -- most other shumps on Steam are probably well below that. (I know I frownface every time I look up Crimzon Clover on SteamSpy). If they're not happy with that number, they either screwed up management of the port of they had some delusional expectations.

LOL, guys, please, hold your dicks.

Degica is probably just testing the waters. We don't know how much CAVE is charging for the ports. I'm guessing it will be either Futari or DS, and from there, depending on the success, we will be either getting one game at a time or none at all.

No way in hell they will start with stuff like Ibara Kuro or a whole collection, lol.

I have no problems paying full price for their games on Steam. Even tho I have most of them on 360, I'm ready to give them my money. CAVE is just outstanding, imo. They make the best shmups, and I LOVE shmups!

This. It'll be nice to get more information! There's a lot of room for disappointment here.

Knurek

For a decade+ old game in a super niche genre that's gone on sale all of what, twice? I think that's a reasonably solid number -- most other shumps on Steam are probably well below that. (I know I frownface every time I look up Crimzon Clover on SteamSpy). If they're not happy with that number, they either screwed up management of the port of they had some delusional expectations.

Crimzon Clover is at ~100k, and that's not counting any GOG sales.

Tain

Also just realized that this could be the first really great home release of stuff like Dodonpachi and Ibara.

Dodonpachi never got a good port. Even the one that you unlock after playing through that stupid VN Instabrain game apparently wasn't that good. And the Saturn and PS1 versions had issues. We could finally remedy this, 20 years later!

I don't remember the Instant Brain DoDonPachi 360 port reception, and I haven't played it, but I do remember complaints about Guwange, and I'm 99% sure that they stem from Cave's original hardware running at 57.5hz (leading to the port having significantly different timing at the usual NTSC refresh rate).

Sadly, the only good way around that speed discrepancy on modern platforms is variable screen refresh technology. The bad options that don't require a g-sync monitor include screen tearing, stuttering, or changing the game's speed (which will also have slight consequences when it comes to sound). Or a blend mode like Raiden Fighters Aces I suppose.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's the one game I really want and it probably won't happen :(

It wasn't a great port, anyway. Even after the patch, it still had a shitty bilinear filter that made everything look blurrier. The Arika port of White Label on PS2 was waaaaay better.

SOME-MIST

hell yeah! not that I'll be buying any since I'm saving my pennies and own them already, but this is awesome news for those who have missed out. I might actually feel obligated to buy futari if they have online leaderboards though..

CAVE? Progear and Dodonpachi 2 are the only shooting games they don't own, as far as I know.

esp ra.de. is owned by atlus.

I own them all too but I'm not going to rebuy anything I already own. PC is one of the last places I'd want to play these games, but if they port something that hasn't gotten a release already I'll buy for sure.

Even Dangun Feveron which I feel is thier weakest game in the genre.

dangun feveron is so damn good... and it's really unlike any of their other titles. if I had to go with weakest title, imo it would be guwange or ddpdfk. heaven is here inside my soul!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Wonderful news. I hope this means we'll get some of the region-locked games that I hadn't had a chance to play yet (especially Mushihimesama HD).

shaowebb

Gimmie Progear...I neeeeeeeeeeds it. Also Esp.Ra.De and Ibara are high on my list. Hell I'd be down for triple dipping on deathsmiles if they went and ported it again and added the new character from mobile to Steam as well. :D

linid0t

godisreal.gif

Hopefully some of the games that haven't gotten 360 ports or the ones that are region locked like Mushi get ported!

Oh my Gosh, Oh my Gosh, Oh my Gosh, Oh my Gosh, Oh my Gosh, Oh my Gosh, Oh my Gosh, Oh my Gosh, OH MY GOSH!

S66pIyi.gif

My thoughts exactly.

I can finally recycle the tablet where I played DoDonPachi Resurrection so much! Long live PC gaming.

If my self from 10 years ago would've seen this, hahaha. I sported an Ikaruga avatar on Steam since I made my account over 10 years ago.

And Ikaruga PC happened. I tweeted in 2010 that if Recettear was on Steam then that meant CAVE was going to be on Steam. 5 years later, it happens.

Ok, now I'm scared, lol.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Happy to hear this. Now I'm curious what games we'll see hit first. Some of the old stuff would be really nice to see, but I'm not sure who owns the rights to them since someone else published them. Would love some Dangun Feveron or Espgaluda. I figure stuff like Dodonpachi and Mushihimesama would be simple enough to do. Really want the latter of those two.

shaowebb

Currently own:
Espgaluda 2
Mushihimesama Futari
Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets
Akai Katana
Dodonpachi Resurrection
Deathsmiles
Deathsmiles 2x
Deathsmiles mobile
Espgaluda Mobile

Eager to put this on steam. My disc drive is pooping out on my 360.

mdsfx

Currently own:
Espgaluda 2
Mushihimesama Futari
Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets
Akai Katana
Dodonpachi Resurrection
Deathsmiles
Deathsmiles 2x
Deathsmiles mobile
Espgaluda Mobile

Eager to put this on steam. My disc drive is pooping out on my 360.

Same here. If 360 is on its way out :(

You never bought DDP Saidaioujou? Or didn't like it?

shaowebb

Same here. If 360 is on its way out :(

Never bought DDP Saidaioujou?

Nah. Got hooked on Crimzon Clover World Ignition...I played Dodonpachi Resurrection the least in my collection and I figured if I wanted the combo multiplier I was better served in Crimzon Clover anyhow with double break mode.

Did they change the system much form Resurrection to SaiDaioujou though? Maybe I judged it too quickly.

mdsfx

Nah. Got hooked on Crimzon Clover World Ignition...I played Dodonpachi Resurrection the least in my collection and I figured if I wanted the combo multiplier I was better served in Crimzon Clover anyhow with double break mode.

Did they change the system much form Resurrection to SaiDaioujou though? Maybe I judged it too quickly.

I hated resurrection with its seemingly limitless bullet cancelling. SDOJ plays more like previous DDP games to me. I like it much better.

mdsfx

I never played any prior to resurrection. How are the mechanics?
Although there is some bullet cancelling when you start your hyper, it requires a lot more bullet-dodging, which I find more fun. You're score is still heavily dependant on chaining kills.

Resurrection was mostly boring until the difficulty spiked on the last level and decided to **** me.

shaowebb

Although there is some bullet cancelling when you start your hyper, it requires a lot more bullet-dodging, which I find more fun.

Resurrection was mostly boring until the difficulty spiked on the last level and decided to **** me.

Hmmmm...I'll have to try this then. Sounds more purist. For cancelling the rhythms of Crimzon Clover felt better to me. Also Akai Katana is my king of cancels from Cave :p

mdsfx

Hmmmm...I'll have to try this then. Sounds more purist. For cancelling the rhythms of Crimzon Clover felt better to me. Also Akai Katana is my king of cancels from Cave :p
I'm no expert. One of these other players will chime in and give you the full story.

Bullet cancelling in AK is completely different and much more fun/rewarding.

Although there is some bullet cancelling when you start your hyper, it requires a lot more bullet-dodging, which I find more fun. You're score is still heavily dependant on chaining kills.

Dat laser dancing, eh? Endless streams of death.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why shouldn't they be a standard priced product, are we going to say that some genres are inherently less valuable than others?
Not at all what I was saying. Of course shmups should be full priced, if appropriate.

What I am saying is that they previously only viewed their products as premium-priced boutique games for a small dedicated otaku audience. That kept them from putting them on digital services and significantly discounting them over time.

Which would be fine if they were a thriving company getting fat off this, but they weren't. They were dying. The premium strategy wasn't working. Better to skim what you can off the dedicated audience first, and seek a much wider audience through digital services later on.

But I guess that's where we are now. Great !

SOME-MIST

What I am saying is that they previously only viewed their products as premium-priced boutique games for a small dedicated otaku audience. That kept them from putting them on digital services and significantly discounting them over time.
they released the phone apps for an insanely reduced price though. I honestly think that they were over publishing their own games and they didn't want to deal with publishing on PC. thankfully a publisher stepped up - even better one that has experience with shmups.

I guess we can speculate all we want, but regardless it's good news that people who haven't played their games get a chance to play 'em now.

Awesome! I have decent expectations given how competent the STG-publishing arm f Degica is.
Honestly I would have preferred M2. =).
They need to start porting their games over to Steam (and GOG preferably), like the remake of a PC-6001 homebrew STG called Beluga they recently put out for Vita. One game they developed is already up on Steam, too, so.

Good call on the STG Weekly video above. Took it upon myself to make the below handy list for anyone who wants to dive deep into Cave's games. STG Weekly does a weekly(-ish) stream where they watch high level/high score playthroughs and provide commentary, often with the player as a guest if possible.

I plucked out all the Cave episodes. Very possible I missed some as they have a lot of mixed bag episodes so feel free to slap me with any missing links and I'll update. I put them in episode order rather than grouping by game or release.

STG Weekly #02: Mushihime-sama Futari 1.5 - player: Sapz
STG Weekly #08: Mushihimesama Futari (Ultra MANIA) - players: Gus, RSQ
STG Weekly #11: Muchi Muchi Pork - player: NTSC-J
STG Weekly #13: Guwange - player: Aquas
STG Weekly #32: Pink Sweets Arrange
STG Weekly #36: Deathsmiles
STG Weekly #38: Ibara
STG Weekly #40: "All Hollow's Shmups"
STG Weekly #41: Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
STG Weekly #43: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou
STG Weekly #45: Dangun Feveron / Fever S.O.S. Part 1
STG Weekly #45: Dangun Feveron / Fever S.O.S. Part 2
STG Weekly #46: Progear no Arashi
STG Weekly #47: Akai Katana Intro
STG Weekly #47: Akai Katana (Post-Intro)
STG Weekly #50: Deathsmiles Localization
STG Weekly #60: Mushihime-Sama
STG Weekly #70: Muchi Muchi Pork 1.01 (Manpuku Mode)
STG Weekly #74: Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou - 1 / 2
STG Weekly #74: Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou - 2 / 2
STG Weekly at Stunfest 2015 -- Dangun Feveron by Jaimers
STG Weekly at Stunfest 2015 -- Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label by Erppo
STG Weekly at Stunfest 2015 -- Akai Katana by Yom

Also, the second part of a documentary on shmups, where they focus on Cave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv7fCr6QFis

I love this video -- can't even fathom how many times I've watched it.

icarus's special demonstration videos are really amazing too - they're actually my favorite. I pmed him to make a dvd out of it for me to buy but never got a response lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzChEV2uZKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL3Q6CR-WjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BY5QqfpMg

(is there a way to force youtube links to not replace with the video on the mobile site? If not, sorry mobile users, RIP)

STG!

Yeah those STG Weekly episodes are a lot of fun, great to check out if you're unfamiliar with any of Cave's games or if you're already a fan.

I was the Progear player for that episode.

ghibli99

Oh wow, very exciting news! I sold off a lot of my 360 games, and while they are nice on iOS, nothing beats playing w/ a proper controller/joystick.

Not at all what I was saying. Of course shmups should be full priced, if appropriate.

Which would be fine if they were a thriving company getting fat off this, but they weren't. They were dying. The premium strategy wasn't working. Better to skim what you can off the dedicated audience first, and seek a much wider audience through digital services later on.

But I guess that's where we are now. Great !

It's fine selling at a cheap price but you need extra sales to make it worth while, with arcade STGs pretty much the only ppl buying the XBLA STGs were the same crowd who would pay £40+ for them physical, even G.rev went so far as to say so when their XBLA exclusive Strania STG flopped.

The notion that CAVE were too conservative to try new things couldn't be further from the truth as they were constantly trying new ways to maximise their sales, localisation, region free, Guwange on XBLA, Nin2Jump for 400MSP, the unlocalised Deathsmiles 2X on NA Games on Demand, the impression I got of CAVE at that time was of a company desperately looking for a way to turn back the tide of declining sales, they did their best.

Besides IIRC CAVE's initial intentions were to release their STGs on XBLA but they chose physical instead. Why? Not sure but MS were constantly changing the rules and direction for XBLA at that time.

Top Bottom