• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z5, Z5 Compact & Z5 Premium (First 4k Display on Phone) Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocelott

I feel like Sony is looking for a deal with a carrier...Z5 Premium better be in the US in Nov/Dec...I can't use this iphone for much longer

Putzweg

Looking at the unboxing videos, its incredible how Sony is not even trying to put any effort at all into the packaging. Its literally worse than the packaging of other manufacturers 200 USD phones. But not surprised, they been this bad for a very long time now...

Its literally the sloppiest packaging in the history of flagship phones.

Wilester

Just regular Z5. The frosted back looks and feels amazing

Awesome. That's the one I'm looking to get. Just worried it's a little too big (my 5" Moto G is already slightly too big), so also thinking Compact. But I kind of want that 3GB of RAM and 1080p......

Sigh.

I have the gold Z5. Fingerprint sensor is in good place, volume rocker isn't. Software is a bit laggy. Battery life is good if you turn off NFC. Gets a bit hot near the middle which isn't great. A bit uncomfortable to hold due to it's shape and a bit more bezel than my previous phone LG G2 which had the same screen size.

Got my Z5 today, up from a Z1 Compact. Like the extra size, fingerprint reader and frosted back, a lot neater than the Z1 and the ports in particular are a lot less troublesome being sans flaps.
Not sure how I feel about the camera atm, quality doesn't seem as good as I hoped. System is also a little sluggish and laggy to get going, especially noticeable when typing but I imagine this is a launch issue which will be patched out. WiFi range is much better than the Z1 and 4G is nice to have finally. Overall build quality is exceptional and feels a lot more premium than even the Z1, great weight in the hand. Nothing much else to comment on atm.
Blew my mind using the multi camera tool in the stock camera app, connecting the Z5 to my A7s and seeing both live views of each camera on the same screen; the connectivity with Sony devices is great, transferred all of my stuff with one tap on the NFC on my Z1.

Looking at the unboxing videos, its incredible how Sony is not even trying to put any effort at all into the packaging. Its literally worse than the packaging of other manufacturers 200 USD phones. But not surprised, they been this bad for a very long time now...

Sony joined the bandwagon with minimalizing packaging and it's no worse than a vast majority of the ones I've purchased over the last few years. It's not and never will be a Vertu.

I purchased a Z3 straight from Sony in April so I'm going to skip out on the Z5 and go straight for the Z6c. 5 inches is just too big for my tiny hands. I echo the sentiments about the physical camera button.

Ocelott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tR0uR4T08

I have no idea what you are talking about? Unboxes like a PS4

really want to upgrade to the Z5 Compact. currently on the Z3 regular.
some reviews are saying the camera and battery life is disappointing though.

Kvik

What kind of case are you guys getting? Those Sony Style original case with the window cutout looks cool, but looks a bit flimsy.

scr46-slideshow-04-95cb5d715e6004994e180cb8399402da.jpg

I could be wrong, though.

What's the general trend with Sony launches? Do they come here shortly after Euro releases? Or could take several more months upto a year?

Unless Best Buy or Staples decide to carry it, there's close to no chance it'll be officially released in the US since Sony decided to get out of the retail game a couple months ago.

Mindwipe

What kind of case are you guys getting? Those Sony Style original case with the window cutout looks cool, but looks a bit flimsy.

I could be wrong, though.

The Z3 one was fucking terrible, but this one is significantly more substantial even from the pictures.

zoku88

I have the gold Z5. Fingerprint sensor is in good place, volume rocker isn't. Software is a bit laggy. Battery life is good if you turn off NFC. Gets a bit hot near the middle which isn't great. A bit uncomfortable to hold due to it's shape and a bit more bezel than my previous phone LG G2 which had the same screen size.

I have the white z5c. Pretty much the same impressions (minus the bulky complaint.)

I might just switch to Cyanogenmod whenever a version for z5 comes out.

I really want one of these in the US. =(

Currently hoping a friend in Canada can get me one when it comes out there, but I'd prefer to get a US model if one ever releases, just to increase demand even a little bit in the hopes more release here.

Trojan X

Banned
Has anyone really compared this phone to the Galaxy Note 5 yet? Nearly all the Youtube so called comparison videos are bogus and just talks about the on-paper difference which anyone can do even before phone release.

Ploid 3.0

Sony-Xperia-Z5-family_1-640x360.jpg

original.jpg

They really went all out on the finishes.

Dont even know which is the hottest. The Metal Gear-ish matt or the chrome mirror.

I'd go for matte because the glass back is very slippy. Next one I get will have some texture if possible. Never again.

I wanted to try Windows Phone for continuum. But man these phones and the new UI look great. I have a Z2 now, still on 4.4 because I think android 5 is really ugly. The Z5 UI reminds me of the minimalistic look of the older android versions.

Putzweg

Sony joined the bandwagon with minimalizing packaging and it's no worse than a vast majority of the ones I've purchased over the last few years. It's not and never will be a Vertu.

I purchased a Z3 straight from Sony in April so I'm going to skip out on the Z5 and go straight for the Z6c. 5 inches is just too big for my tiny hands. I echo the sentiments about the physical camera button.

Dude there is a difference between spartan and sloppy cheapskate packaging (Sonys Z-line) and minimalistic but tasteful packaging (see every other flagship phone).

Putzweg

Minimalist, efficient and tasteful packaging:

OnePlus_One_Packing_Box_6.jpg

samsung-galaxy-s5-box.jpg

14700-5-LG-G4.JPG

Huawei-P8-review_006.jpg

unboxmotox-11.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

What combines them?

*Thick expensive material
*Exciting choice of printing etc.
*Compact but sophisticated box

What is sonys Z0-Z5?

*Thin cheap paper
*The most uninspiring design in the world. Could not even bother to match the color of the phone on the box with that of the phone
*Not even compact and efficient, full of space
*Does not even come wrapped in plastic in most regions
*Does not even bother to include earphones

I mean look at even the freaking Spectre-edition! Its pure shit

DSC_0242~5.JPG

I've been buying cellphones since 1998 and it's no better and no worse than all the phones I've had since then. The fanciest packaging was the Nokia 8800 and the rest were of equal quality. I honestly can't even remember the last phone I bought that was shrink wrapped(cause it's stupid to be obsessed over).

I get it; you're not a fan of the packaging, but your examples all look the same to me.

The only credit you'll get from me is that the Bond edition is beyond lame. It's worse than the special edition Nokia Arte phones, which were pretty lame in their own rights.

I've been buying cellphones since 1998 and it's no better and no worse than all the phones I've had since then. The fanciest packaging was the Nokia 8800 and the rest were of equal quality. I honestly can't even remember the last phone I bought that was shrink wrapped(cause it's stupid to be obsessed over).

I get it; you're not a fan of the packaging, but your examples all look the same to me.

The only credit you'll get from me is that the Bond edition is beyond lame. It's worse than the special edition Nokia Arte phones, which were pretty lame in their own rights.

If you think the Huawei P8 packaging is the same as everyone else, you are completely and obviously blind.

Just read some reviews on Xperia Z5 and it is disappointing. It seems like Sony didn't adress any of the issues that were present in other Xperias. Terrible performance caused by software. Snapdragon 810 is a space heater, no surprises here. The glass on the back cracked for no reason, Z3 all over again. And while reviewers praise the camera quality, i don't like. I looked at the samples and i don't understand what is that horrible image processing Sony is using. It looks like noise reduction turned up to eleven even in daylight. There is also no RAW support because people don't need or so Sony thinks.
I wanted Z5 Premium, but considering the price and all these issues, i don't want it anymore.

Since they aren't even released in the US to bomb, and sell good in Japan and in Europe (I personally saw lots of people with Z3 here in Portugal when it came out), what is exactly the cause of their huge losses on the Mobile division? It's something that has left me wondering.

Do you live here? I live in Lisbon and I feel very different - I don't want to discredit you at all, I just wanna share my opinion - you've seen those people and they're real, and I don't deny some Sony phones are sold, and that the majority of them are the Z line, but from my personal experience they're hurting in the country right now (and many other countries in Europe probably).

I started working in the industry in Christmas 2013, and then, few or no Z phones were sold in the period. Sony sold probably below average compared with other companies then, overall. Back then most sales would be on entry level devices, such as the Xperia E or still the Xperia tipo. Right now, they are selling even less Z phones, but to add insult to injury, they've vanished from the entry level market, swept away by Huawei, Wiko, BQ and so many others. The devices are still there being sold, but to the general public it's nearly like they don't even exist.

Sony's problems to me are:
- they don't offer anything unique (to a general audience, not me or you or some people here at GAF) in the high end market, and get eaten up by Samsung, Apple.
- their price point to features/performane is abysmal in the low and mid end market, and so they're just being murdered there, quite obviously.

Jonnax

Since they aren't even released in the US to bomb, and sell good in Japan and in Europe (I personally saw lots of people with Z3 here in Portugal when it came out), what is exactly the cause of their huge losses on the Mobile division? It's something that has left me wondering.

I think they made a mention that it was a write off on the value of the business. Their revenue is actually healthy.

Mithos

To anyone that own a Z5 Compact/normal/Premium.

Is ram (2/3gb) and storage (32gb) totally separate now days, so that apps are always 100% on the 32gb storage, instead of what I wrote below?

I ask because my last phone had 512MB ram/storage and splits it, so downloading 300MB apps leaves me with 200mb ram.

Is ram (2/3gb) and storage (32gb) totally separate now days, so that apps are always 100% on the 32gb storage, instead of what I wrote below?

I ask because my last phone had 512MB ram/storage and splits it, so downloading 300MB apps leaves me with 200mb ram.
What?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'm close to deciding on this for my new phone.

My only concerns are the possibility of the glass breaking and reports of the sluggish UI. Those two things are definitely a worry.

Why can't there just be a perfect phone?

Reckoner

Do you live here? I live in Lisbon and I feel very different - I don't want to discredit you at all, I just wanna share my opinion - you've seen those people and they're real, and I don't deny some Sony phones are sold, and that the majority of them are the Z line, but from my personal experience they're hurting in the country right now (and many other countries in Europe probably).

I started working in the industry in Christmas 2013, and then, few or no Z phones were sold in the period. Sony sold probably below average compared with other companies then, overall. Back then most sales would be on entry level devices, such as the Xperia E or still the Xperia tipo. Right now, they are selling even less Z phones, but to add insult to injury, they've vanished from the entry level market, swept away by Huawei, Wiko, BQ and so many others. The devices are still there being sold, but to the general public it's nearly like they don't even exist.

Sony's problems to me are:
- they don't offer anything unique (to a general audience, not me or you or some people here at GAF) in the high end market, and get eaten up by Samsung, Apple.
- their price point to features/performane is abysmal in the low and mid end market, and so they're just being murdered there, quite obviously.

I live in Porto, and I've spotted multiple people with Z3 when it first came out and also just recently. But yeah, I see that all stores have those in stock and don't seem to sell that much. Probably because it is so rare, it catches my eye more easily and that makes for a wrong perception. Maybe.

I am 100% sure you don't know how RAM and ROM.

Mithos

Maybe my smartphone is just so damn old that it seems its doing something wrong, but having to uninstall 10 apps just do some system upgrades (google store, google-services) is crazy, when I have 8gb of sd-card there with free space for the apps to be stored on, and they can't be moved/stored there.

Ikupasuy

Neo Member
How many updates have we gotten from the Xperia Z series have we gotten this year even?

Sure this phone would be nice to have but the price of a new state of the art phone sounds like wayyy over my budget.

I'll stick with my Xperia ZL for the time being.

I live in Porto, and I've spotted multiple people with Z3 when it first came out and also just recently. But yeah, I see that all stores have those in stock and don't seem to sell that much. Probably because it is so rare, it catches my eye more easily and that makes for a wrong perception. Maybe.

Porto and Lisbon can be very diferent cities when it comes to tastes in all product areas, so I can see how it'd be more popular there!

Personally the 4K display of the Z5 Premium has me interested in trying it out. I can't afford it but I'm so curious to see what 800ppi looks like. How much more incredible it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom