• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software to open new studio in Fukuoka

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://gematsu.com/2015/09/from-software-open-new-studio-fukuoka

Dark Souls and Bloodborne developer From Software is opening a new development studio in Fukuoka, Japan next month, the company announced.

From Software Fukuoka Studio “focus on creating 3D CG assets for games while working closely with the original studio in Tokyo,” according to the press release.

The company has high hopes that Fukuoka and its surrounding areas, which are easy to reach from Tokyo, “contribute to build good development environments that lead them to greater quality and creativity.”

The new studio will be established in October and begin operation in January 2016. From Software is now taking applications for a number of development staff at its recruiting website.

Blobbers

Didn't Miyazaki say recently he wanted to try making something new, different from Souls, or did I dream that up? Makes sense too since Dark Souls 3 is supposed to be the franchise's swan song, as stated by Miyazaki himself.

Dio

Banned
Best of luck to them.

Didn't Miyazaki say recently he wanted to try making something new, different from Souls, or did I dream that up? Makes sense too since Dark Souls 3 is supposed to be the franchise's swan song, as stated by Miyazaki himself.

He said it was a 'turning point in the franchise,' not swan song.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Is this their third studio? Or their second? Or does this just mean they are making a studio just for their graphics? Do I have any idea what I am talking about?

Best of luck to them.

He said it was a 'turning point in the franchise,' not swan song.

Im almost positive DS3 is their last one with Bamco publishing. The fact that Namco keeps trademarking titles for new games with the word Soul/Souls in the title is really telling and funny to me.

Its really great to see From growing though, hopefully with the expansion they can keep the top notch quality.

PS. Yes give me Sci-Fi Giger Souls

Dio

Banned
Is this their third studio? Or their second? Or does this just mean they are making a studio just for their graphics? Do I have any idea what I am talking about?

From their press release, I believe this studio is concentrating on just creating the 3D models and textures and the like, and working with the Tokyo studio who is in charge of the mechanics and basic foundation stuff, although I assume it won't be cut and dry - it would most likely supplement the Tokyo studio and give them models to put in the game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If only this studio was open Before Dark Souls 2's rocky development. I wonder if that's a contributing factor for the decision to open the new studio?

Nesther

Please dont make a Souls game every year From Software !!!

As long as it's not made by the same team, and there's proper variation such as Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Armored Souls, I don't see what's wrong with yearly output.

From Software is clearly really fucking efficient and can manage several teams working on different projects.

If only this studio was open Before Dark Souls 2's rocky development. I wonder if that's a contributing factor for the decision to open the new studio?

I bet its more for taking the load off of the main dev team so they dont have to make CG trailers and the like and can focus more on actual game development. Or possibly to keep the CG trailer production in house so they can stop outsourcing.

They're growing really fast and seems they want to pump out games faster too based on how they're working on multiple games at the same time.

FelipeMGM

Please dont make a Souls game every year From Software !!!

They have been doing that already

2014 DS2
2015 Bloodborne
2016 DS3

And all of them are great

EDIT: DS3 is getting great preview coverage and Miyazaki is back, so it should be great. But duh, its not out yet, my bad.

If they want to expand and keep up with all the costs that come with it, they gonna need to create new hit IPs.

I can tell the Souls series won't last for too long with all the milking and spin-offs going on.

2014 DS2
2015 Bloodborne
2016 DS3

DS2 was not great. DS3 isn't even out yet but since Miyazaki is involved I'm sure it will be much better then 2 but we'll see. I have no hype for DS3. Like I said before its a bit hard to get hyped for an annual franchise, which is what Souls is becoming.

Bloodborne was a fresh idea and look and design so it was easy to get hyped for it. DS3 just looks like more of the same but with Bloodborne mechanics thrown into the mix.

Rymuth

Aren't they behind that Monster Hunter spinoff?

This seals it. New studio dedicated entirely to Capcom franchise spinoffs

Ostinatto

As long as it's not made by the same team, and there's proper variation such as Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Armored Souls, I don't see what's wrong with yearly output.

From Software is clearly really fucking efficient and can manage several teams working on different projects.

2014 DS2
2015 Bloodborne
2016 DS3

What about Gaming Fatigue?

I hope it's Armored Core and not some AC game with S-
Sci-Fi Souls Game ? YES PLEASE!

Armored Core with some heavy Souls influence would be amazing.

Armored Souls. Armored Souls. Armored Souls.

Nevermind fuck it. This happens every thread. I like Souls games but, hell let AC be AC. combat doesn't even make sense for those kinds of games. You don't need a stamina meter for a mech. You have jumpjets/thrusters and a bunch of long range fast shooting weapons and people want it like Souls?

Ugh.

It's fine when it's Souls.

Apparently.

Mainly for assets, well that makes sense given how quickly they're putting out content. 3 different souls games + DLC's in 3 years is quite a lot. It just means we'll be seeing more yearly releases I guess.

I hope a Cyberpunk Souls is in the works. Prepare to Neon edition. (◕ ヮ◕)

DJIzana

I've previously been a 1 off person when it came to the Souls series. (Missed out on Demon Souls but played Dark Souls and loved it. Skipped Dark Souls 2, loved Bloodborne).

I want to play Dark Souls 3 though. I'm not worried about any kind of fatigue when it comes to that series.

Gbraga

I guess Armored Core is coming back?

A new IP that plays nothing like anything they ever made would be nice too.

Dio

Banned
sigh

I miss the From days when no one played/knew about their stuff.

I'm glad that they have a hit on their hands now. They've been making awesome games for years that got looked over by people, and they're finally making enough money to not be treading water.

I mean fuck, Otogi 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but it sold 40,000 copies in North America.

convo

Clearly someone needs to explain to me how someone could play sports games every year, because i don't see how they are in any way similar to how i can enjoy a new game from From every year. The PC/XBOX crowd is thirsty to get some dudes. The playstation people were just spoiled with choice on that front.

Top Bottom