• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software to open new studio in Fukuoka

Nesther

That From wouldn't last. Be glad that there is at least one Japanese studio who found that rare balance of making games that are a tremendous critical and commercial succes and is in a very healthy state because of it.

Yeah, I wouldn't want them to risk their current position. If they do non-Souls it should be smaller, not risky titles like the Monster Hunter spinoff they're doing right now.

Could be good. Hopefully this leads to more diverse titles coming out of them now that they'll have more manpower. Maybe some of those being new mecha IPs (I still dream of a proper successor to Another Century's Episode).

Armored Core's still gonna happen regardless, so I'm not one of those people in here that are talking about it like it's becoming less of a possibility with each passing day. Besides, it's only been two god damn years since Verdict Day came out, the time hasn't been THAT long.

Yeah, I wouldn't want them to risk their current position. If they do non-Souls it should be smaller, not risky titles like the Monster Hunter spinoff they're doing right now.

Yeah, maybe they are actually in a position to take some risks, but we have the Soulsborne series to thank for if that's the case. Personally, I hope DS3 is a big hit and a best in series game which allows them to spread their wings a little.

But first things first...

Gimme that Bloodborne DLC :p.

Shang

I may not understand some of the praise this studio gets, but I'm glad to see it expanding nonetheless. Please don't go annual!

Interesting. Do any other companies divvy up their work like this? A pure 'artist studio' sounds like a fantastic way to get great results, especially for games that ride on art direction as hard as some From titles do, but all I've ever heard of are additional 'complete' studios, often working on a single project in their own bubble.

bounchfx

please for the love of god a next-gen armored core game with dark souls/bloodborne level of quality PLEASE
FUCK O{GFJKLDjluhgsjlgfdshgf

Hastati

please for the love of god a next-gen armored core game with dark souls/bloodborne level of quality PLEASE
FUCK O{GFJKLDjluhgsjlgfdshgf
This would really be fantastic.
I want a non dark fantasy setting with a similar level of investment in word design and non linear narrative. Mech, sf or even high fantasy would be so awesome.

I'm just going to say no more souls or anything close to resembling that please. Give another IP a go or make a completey fresh new one

Maybe there's some hate from you because GAF gives so much love to this series.
I understand that.

But just consider this.
Souls games are the Fury Road of video games.
Just as Fury Road injected new life into peoples love of action movies so to have these games re-kindled many peoples love of D&D RPGs and gothic fantasy.
More than that, they've re-kindled many peoples love of gaming itself.

It is the anathema to CreedofDutyField clones and the B-Grade develop-by-numbers games that dominated this millennia.
It is show-don't-tell.
It is discover rather than passively experience.
The game we play is dictated by the player not by some developer/publisher committee meeting deciding how to try and wow a player with a cutscene or a big set piece.

This is why we like it. Like a beacon of purity in world of crass vacuousness and corruption.
So don't damn our Souls.

Maiden_Astraea_01.jpg

hiro4

How on earth is Fukuoka 'easy to reach from Tokyo' lol. It's about as easy to reach as Seoul.

Fukuoaka is the end of the shinkansen line. Come one its only 6h to reach tokyo... Probably 45 min by plane or something

Yeah it's not really close by. Though it is quite easy to reach by Shinkansen. Will still take a day. A plane from narita to Fukuoka is about 1.5 hours. Flew that many times.

Shinkansen even goes further in to Kyushu making it even easier.

pa22word

Souls isn't really annualized for most...

Most people on gaf seen to tend to forget that probably over half of the people who played dark 2 probably don't have a ps4.

boinx

Who the hell knew From would be one of the most important japanese devs in 2015. What a future they have created for themselves with the Souls series. I really wanna see what other stuff they have lined up.

Bleep

Nevermind fuck it. This happens every thread. I like Souls games but, hell let AC be AC. combat doesn't even make sense for those kinds of games. You don't need a stamina meter for a mech. You have jumpjets/thrusters and a bunch of long range fast shooting weapons and people want it like Souls?

Ugh.

You mean like this?

494335-armored-core-39vsyn.jpg

Or this?

untitled-1slsre.jpg

...or this?

untitled-2i0s8v.jpg

I enjoy energy management in mech games. Armored Core games often let you bypass this with set ups that output more energy from the generator than the mech can use though, so maybe you're right. :p

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is great news. Hopefully they can train staff out west to produce really great 3D art, and not have to spend resources on other outsourcing studios.

Close communication with the Tokyo studio sounds interesting. I imagine the majority (if not all) of their design team will stay put, so getting those initial concepts out and communicating feedback will need to be a big, relatively seamless job.

I hope they don't become the japanese Ubisoft/Activision.

The asset/mechanics recycling from Bloodborne in DS3 already as me a bit worried.

Okay, with "mechanics" I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but what the heck do you mean by "asset recycling"? Did you see a screenshot you didn't like ?

I'll give them Dark Souls III and a Bloodborne expansion/sequel. But I don't want to see EITHER of those two titles return for the rest of the generation. Find your next blue ocean, From.

Some of you guys sound like you have a grudge or something. Miyazaki has already said that DS3 will mark a turning point. Still, no more 'Souls-like' games would be foolish, as that's their forte. Also, I imagine that people who are "fatigued" by their games are not only in the minority, but are suffering from some other general gaming fatigue or paced themselves inappropriately.

Maybe there's some hate from you because GAF gives so much love to this series.
I understand that.

But just consider this.
Souls games are the Fury Road of video games.
Just as Fury Road injected new life into peoples love of action movies so to have these games re-kindled many peoples love of D&D RPGs and gothic fantasy.
More than that, they've re-kindled many peoples love of gaming itself.

It is the anathema to CreedofDutyField clones and the B-Grade develop-by-numbers games that dominated this millennia.
It is show-don't-tell.
It is discover rather than passively experience.
The game we play is dictated by the player not by some developer/publisher committee meeting deciding how to try and wow a player with a cutscene or a big set piece.

This is why we like it. Like a beacon of purity in world of crass vacuousness and corruption.
So don't damn our Souls.

Maiden_Astraea_01.jpg

Preach, brother.

So, it's a studio dedicated to 3d graphics, is that right? Since they chose Fukuoka to help encourage artistic inspiration; I think that really speaks on Miyazaki's quest for beauty(?) that he's spoken of when talking about his games. I get the feeling that a move like this is definitely him.

Yuterald

Some of you guys sound like you have a grudge or something. Miyazaki has already said that DS3 will mark a turning point. Still, no more 'Souls-like' games would be foolish, as that's their forte. Also, I imagine that people who are "fatigued" by their games are not only in the minority, but are suffering from some other general gaming fatigue or paced themselves inappropriately.

No serious grudge on my end. I also don't wear shit on my sleeves anymore. I'm just someone who simply grew up with their games and find their current output/production/outlook disappointing compared to how they used to operate. As I've mentioned, we're in a different time now and game development isn't what it used to be, but I feel it's still a fair assessment of the situation.

I'm also definitely not "fatigued", either. It took me about 6 months to see the end of Bloodborne. I don't blast through their games with an insatiable appetite unlike how most of their vocal fan base appears to act. You have to admit, it's pretty short-sighted/sad to see the "insert said theme/genre-Souls" requests thread after thread, post after post. If I were a developer/director at From, I'd feel insulted, almost patronized, if all I was capable/expected of producing was "Space/Sci-Fi Souls" or "Mech Souls" or whatever other baseless request that gets posted across the net. If they're so talented/respected, don't you want to see them move onto greener pastures? Wouldn't you want them to create the next title that established what Demon's Souls has done for them and the market? Or are you just looking for your fix?

Mozendo

Now, their fan base has this insatiable appetite for anything that's "Souls-like". Just take said theme/genre and apply Souls to it ad nauseam. Makes me so tired.

Yeah, I would love to play a modern Shadow Tower game, but I don't think that will happen at least not anytime soon with this souls craze.

Yuterald

Yeah, I would love to play a modern Shadow Tower game, but I don't think that will happen at least not anytime soon with this souls craze.

The first-person space/field is WIDE OPEN for them to reclaim. Whether that's in the form of King's Field, Shadow Tower, or something new/inspired by their older titles, it blows my mind that they haven't made an attempt. Before I receive a bunch of "What's the point, Souls is the spiritual successor to King's Field, etc." comments, there is A LOT you can do/capture in first-person that you cannot do/capture in third-person.

You mean like this?

494335-armored-core-39vsyn.jpg

Or this?

untitled-1slsre.jpg

...or this?

untitled-2i0s8v.jpg

I enjoy energy management in mech games. Armored Core games often let you bypass this with set ups that output more energy from the generator than the mech can use though, so maybe you're right. :p

When I was saying stamina I meant for attacking outside of ammo restrictions but, I guess you got me on boosters lol. That said though yeah you can alter ACs to bypass a lot of these.

Also to add to earlier points. I am not saying no more Souls games as I like them myself. Just not everything needs to be a damn Souls game is my point.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah been saying it for a while, I would really like a Sci-Fi Souls games. Don't have to travel in space, heck, don't even really need much of a vehicle. Problem is you don't really want guns, you need to keep close combat for the most part.

sublimit

Banned
Best of luck to them! I think since the Souls series made FS so popular a lot of people's expectations for unique and high quality content kept on rising with each release and this must gives them a lot of pressure.Maybe the addition of a new studio will make their creative operations less stressful even though i imagine it will be hard to manage and co-ordinate all the studios.

I also hope this success will not make them change their game design philosophy but with Miyazaki being the president i'm confident that we're going to see even more creativity and unique things coming from their studios in the future.

elohel

Didn't Miyazaki say recently he wanted to try making something new, different from Souls, or did I dream that up? Makes sense too since Dark Souls 3 is supposed to be the franchise's swan song, as stated by Miyazaki himself.

I dunno but I want all of what this is about lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dark Souls 3 will most likely re-use assets from Bloodborne. You could see it in the earliest screenshots, many, including myself, felt the architecture and geometry reminded them of Bloodborne, so much as if it hadn't been a fully armoured knights in them we'd have thought it was the Bloodborne DLC.

I don't think that's a worrying thing. Assets re-use is common in the industry (Capcom is the king of that, haha), it saves tons of time and money. So long as there isn't abuse of it and there are plenty of new original assets, I don't care if a few tiles or statues or spires look like they were ripped from Central Yharnam or whatever.

Finalow

more FromSoft games, which I'm sure this new studio will help accomplish, is always a good thing.

DS2 was not great. DS3 isn't even out yet but since Miyazaki is involved I'm sure it will be much better then 2 but we'll see. I have no hype for DS3. Like I said before its a bit hard to get hyped for an annual franchise, which is what Souls is becoming.

Bloodborne was a fresh idea and look and design so it was easy to get hyped for it. DS3 just looks like more of the same but with Bloodborne mechanics thrown into the mix.
and that's a bad thing? Lol. it looks "more of the same" because it's a souls game. Dark Souls 2 isn't a great entry in the series but it's still a good game.

with Miyazaki as director they always made fucking-great (souls) games so I don't see why you're not hyped because oh noes they're releasing a game each year - literally makes no sense.

edit/ not to mention that they started developing Dark Souls 3 much earlier than you think, not 3 weeks ago.

Please dont make a Souls game every year From Software !!!
What about Gaming Fatigue?
sigh

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
No serious grudge on my end. I also don't wear shit on my sleeves anymore. I'm just someone who simply grew up with their games and find their current output/production/outlook disappointing compared to how they used to operate. As I've mentioned, we're in a different time now and game development isn't what it used to be, but I feel it's still a fair assessment of the situation.

I'm also definitely not "fatigued", either. It took me about 6 months to see the end of Bloodborne. I don't blast through their games with an insatiable appetite unlike how most of their vocal fan base appears to act. You have to admit, it's pretty short-sighted/sad to see the "insert said theme/genre-Souls" requests thread after thread, post after post. If I were a developer/director at From, I'd feel insulted, almost patronized, if all I was capable/expected of producing was "Space/Sci-Fi Souls" or "Mech Souls" or whatever other baseless request that gets posted across the net. If they're so talented/respected, don't you want to see them move onto greener pastures? Wouldn't you want them to create the next title that established what Demon's Souls has done for them and the market? Or are you just looking for your fix?

I see. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I can understand what you're getting at, but I think you're investing too much in the term "Souls".

"Souls" is - I imagine, to most people - a vague term refering to an action RPG designed by FromSoftware that uses many of the gameplay elements and design philosophy from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Demon's and Dark just happen to be the games that put From on the map last gen, so it's only natural that people would associate the modern studio with that style.

The "style" seems (to me at least) to be quite flexible and applicable to a variety of themes. People didn't really know they wanted Bloodborne until it was a thing. "Souls" style combat, storyshowing and aesthetic woven into a gothic setting with Lovecraftian themes, rather than a medieval setting with fantasy themes.

When people say "Armored Souls", that's probably a shorthand way of saying "I would like From to make a game where you pilot a mech, and which incorporates good elements from their recent successes." That seems like a reasonable request, and not at all patronising.

The fact is, From has identified itself with dark fantasy, ninjas and mecha over the past 30 years or so. Those are things that appear "romantic" to a primarily male Japanese audience, and have naturally caught our attention in the west. Moreover, it's what they enjoy doing. Bloodborne was Miyazaki trying something different and taking the idea to SCE. Miyazaki and the people who work with him are simply massive geeks when it comes to fantasy and mecha and stuff. It's most likely what they want to do. Now they've proven they can make good games that appeal to people worldwide, perhaps they're interested in reviving some of their dormant franchises.

Above all though, From just wants to make interesting games, and at the end of the day they will make what they want, regardless of whether or not you associate it with the "Souls stigma". Don't feel insulted by people piping up with random requests; it's purely legitimate hopes for From's unique style of game applied to a theme or genre they think would be interesting.

I for one think the "formula" (for want of a better word) would work amazingly well with a dark sci-fi setting, taking inspiration from Tsutomu Nihei's manga (Blame!, Biomega, Abara, etc.) like Demon's and Dark took inspiration from Beserk. That's just my little fantasy, though, so don't take it personally. If I ever got the chance to pitch it to From, I would hope they wouldn't be insulted at least.

Completely sick of the Souls. I used to love From but these days it's just souls souls souls souls. Made even more annoying by the fanbase always pushing for others to follow suit - "Why doesn't Nintendo/Konami/etc do a Zelda/Castlevania Souls?!", etc.

From is capable of so so much more, I hope they can branch back out with all their success.

ZeroRay

FromSoft as a developer always had lots of output when it came to game releases so seeing a Souls game after another is nothing unprecedented for them. They've consistently had 2+ games coming out every year since like 1997.

I don't think we will see the end of Souls anytime soon, but I'm also pretty sure with Miyazaki at the helm, we'll see something new come out from them sometime soon.

Top Bottom