• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software to open new studio in Fukuoka

Gbraga

How did you get this from the op?

I didn't, just a guess. I don't think they'll use the main studio to make Armored Core since Souls is the shit right now.

EDIT: “focus on creating 3D CG assets for games while working closely with the original studio in Tokyo”, don't know how I missed this, I guess I'm an idiot.

Now I can finally have a better opportunity of getting a waifu simluator!
Getting tired of the Souls series... :p

Moe Souls though...

Im almost positive DS3 is their last one with Bamco publishing. The fact that Namco keeps trademarking titles for new games with the word Soul/Souls in the title is really telling and funny to me.

Its really great to see From growing though, hopefully with the expansion they can keep the top notch quality.

PS. Yes give me Sci-Fi Giger Souls

What I read up online said that Dark 3's their turning point, it was the last title which was prototyped before Miyazaki became the President of Fromsoft.

So maybe Dark 3 will be the last souls for a while. I hope they pick up a new series, if it doesn't work, they can always hop back onto souls.

Yuterald

Not really, when no one knew/played their shit, their portfolio/catalog of games was vastly more interesting to me. I find that period of time when they were trying to figure stuff out (attempting to land a hit) more interesting/fun than where they are now. Now, their fan base has this insatiable appetite for anything that's "Souls-like". Just take said theme/genre and apply Souls to it ad nauseam. Makes me so tired.

I didn't, just a guess. I don't think they'll use the main studio to make Armored Core since Souls is the shit right now.

EDIT: “focus on creating 3D CG assets for games while working closely with the original studio in Tokyo”, don't know how I missed this, I guess I'm an idiot.

Moe Souls though...
pffht...
We only has Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2(with 3 coming next year) and bloodbourne since 2009. :p
I mean who doesnt want a waifu simulator from From?!? :p

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well we're movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.

Good stuff on the expansion.

What I read up online said that Dark 3's their turning point, it was the last title which was prototyped before Miyazaki became the President of Fromsoft.

So maybe Dark 3 will be the last souls for a while. I hope they pick up a new series, if it doesn't work, they can always hop back onto souls.

Yea I agree Im sure the series will get a rest after 3. Miyazaki's already said they have some other new things in the works. We have yet to see if they use the same souls formula or if its something entirely new. Im hoping its the latter, but ill be happy with either to be honest!

Wagram

DS2 was not great. DS3 isn't even out yet but since Miyazaki is involved I'm sure it will be much better then 2 but we'll see. I have no hype for DS3. Like I said before its a bit hard to get hyped for an annual franchise, which is what Souls is becoming.

Bloodborne was a fresh idea and look and design so it was easy to get hyped for it. DS3 just looks like more of the same but with Bloodborne mechanics thrown into the mix.

Dark Souls 2 was great.

That's awesome, I'm a huge Souls fan, but I hope From Software use this studio to try something new or at least revisit old franchises (still need my Armored Core on ps4!).

Yea I agree Im sure the series will get a rest after 3. Miyazaki's already said they have some other new things in the works. We have yet to see if they use the same souls formula or if its something entirely new. Im hoping its the latter, but ill be happy with either to be honest!

Same here. At this point Fromsoft literally owns my soul, I'll take whatever they give. But yeah, something completely new would be amazing, as long as the story telling method remains the same i.e. the lore stuff.

Yuterald

Yeah sure let's struggle to get a game localized, by doing it ourselves in our fan forum you guys.

Shadow Tower Abyss? I'm not even discussing localization. Despite having not been officially released outside of Japan, From was still developing lots of different games like that during the PS2/Xbox/GC-era. I've been a fan of their stuff and have been supporting them since their PSone days. Their games were way more varied/fun during the early-to-mid years. That's all I'm saying.

gdt

A year is a long time damn guys. Yearly doesn't necessarily mean shitty. If by some miracle they keep up the quality, give them to me yearly please!

convo

Shadow Tower Abyss? I'm not even discussing localization. Despite having not been officially released outside of Japan, From was still developing lots of different games like that during the PS2/Xbox/GC-era. I've been a fan of their stuff and have been supporting them since their PSone days. Their games were way more varied/fun during the early-to-mid years. That's all I'm saying.
I see that, we'll see if it's in their interest to diversify the genres or at least the motives of their games.I am sure we will see some Ninjas or Samurai down the line. Who knows what they are up to but you can tell they are getting more proficient as game developers.

Their present output is still more varied and fun compared to everything out there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yuterald

I see that, we'll see if it's in their interest to diversify the genres or at least the motives of their games.I am sure we will see some Ninjas or Samurai down the line. Who knows what they are up to but you can tell they are getting more proficient as game developers.

I'd like to see them go back to developing smaller, idea-driven titles, stuff along the lines of Adventures of Cookies & Cream, for example. They're also sitting on cool IPs like Echo Night, Tenchu, King's Field, Otogi, Lost Kingdoms, etc. that haven't had proper reboots/revivals. True, their output of Souls games is somewhat in-line with how they used to produce King's Field titles (and their alternatives/side-spins), but ALONG WITH their flagship titles at the time (King's Field/Armored Core), they had a handful of other projects that were new and interesting.

I'm not seeing that today and while I understand it's the sign of the times (bigger budgets, not as easy to develop more than one/two large-scale projects at once, etc.), I find it frustrating that we're not seeing those in-between, creative titles/ideas.

Pif

Banned
I hope they don't become the japanese Ubisoft/Activision.

The asset/mechanics recycling from Bloodborne in DS3 already as me a bit worried.

Yuterald

I hope they don't become the japanese Ubisoft/Activision.

The asset/mechanics recycling from Bloodborne in DS3 already as me a bit worried.

I'll give them Dark Souls III and a Bloodborne expansion/sequel. But I don't want to see EITHER of those two titles return for the rest of the generation. Find your next blue ocean, From.

Pif

Banned
I'll give them Dark Souls III and a Bloodborne expansion/sequel. But I don't want to see EITHER of those two titles return for the rest of the generation. Find your next blue ocean, From.

I would still inhale a Bloodborne 2 though.

warheat

If they're good, who cares?

Milking as an argument is one of the poorest made in online gaming communities.

It's not like Japanese action games on current generation consoles is a flooded genre.

As far as I love the Souls series, I prefer if they focus on another IP besides the Souls series like King's Field or maybe new IP like Berserk.

Just like I hate how Atlus put more focus on Persona games while I would kill for something like main series of Shin Megami Tensei on next gen console.

Top Bottom