• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software to open new studio in Fukuoka

entremet

As far as I love the Souls series, I prefer if they focus on another IP besides the Souls series like King's Field or maybe new IP like Berserk.

Just like I hate how Atlus put more focus on Persona games while I would kill for something like main series of Shin Megami Tensei on next gen console.

The issue is that developing AAA games has become a very risky proposition. It's not the PS1 days anymore.

Souls is a proven IP.

Bloodborne happened because Sony footed the bill, but it's still Soul-ish in presentation.

Nesther

I'll give them Dark Souls III and a Bloodborne expansion/sequel. But I don't want to see EITHER of those two titles return for the rest of the generation. Find your next blue ocean, From.

I'll gladly take a Dark Souls 4 and Bloodborne 2, thank you very much.

Auctopus

Didn't Miyazaki say recently he wanted to try making something new, different from Souls, or did I dream that up? Makes sense too since Dark Souls 3 is supposed to be the franchise's swan song, as stated by Miyazaki himself.

He said FROM Software is gearing up for 3 different projects after Dark Souls 3.

PantsuJo

From doesn't remember anything of its own past. Does anyone care about Otogi 1&2? Two of the best Action games ever made from FromS... Died on Xbox. And what about the incredible Metal Wolf Chaos? A mecha shooter with the USA president on board of his freaking mech to fight evil invasion... It's even in English but only Japan exclusive LOL
We won't have any hd Edition, any re-release. The fans now want only obscure cities, dark themes and "praise the Sun"...

Dio

Banned
From doesn't remember anything of its own past. Does anyone care about Otogi 1&2? Two of the best Action games ever made from FromS... Died on Xbox. And what about the incredible Metal Wolf Chaos? A mecha shooter with the USA president on board of his freaking mech to fight evil invasion... It's even in English but only Japan exclusive LOL
We won't have any hd Edition, any re-release. The fans now want only obscure cities, dark themes and "praise the Sun"...

They gave up on Otogi because they sold like utter shit. Like I said before, Otogi 2 was INCREDIBLE, but sold 40,000 units in NA. Trash.

Released in North America half a year after its Japanese release, in the middle of 2003, Otogi: Myth of Demons was loved by critics. It won EDGE's 2003 Game Awards as the Graphical Achievement of the Year, and many heaped praise on its musical score. Like many critically acclaimed niche titles, however, it didn't sell very well, and moved around 130,000 copies, 80,000 of those North American. This same pattern was repeated with the release of its sequel in North America almost a year after the Japanese release, with love from critics but a lukewarm reception in the market, a paltry 40,000 North American copies. One man even sent a letter to Electronic Gaming Monthly, curious on how short EGM's review of the game was, and received a response from the editor-in-chief at the time, Dan Hsu: "As good of a game Otogi 2 is, we still have to acknowledge that relatively few people want to read about it."

2thepoint

It's obvious Lord Phil has bankrolled this studio to create a new exclusive for Xbox One.

He ain't happy Sony scooped up Bloodborne, and has Miyazaki creating an RPG based on the Lococycle universe.

Pif

Banned
They gave up on Otogi because they sold like utter shit. Like I said before, Otogi 2 was INCREDIBLE, but sold 40,000 units in NA. Trash.

I still remember seeing that game with my own eyes and being blown away. It made me realize that xbox was half a step above my ps2.

Too bad FS won't be revisiting it.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The company has high hopes that Fukuoka and its surrounding areas, which are easy to reach from Tokyo, “contribute to build good development environments that lead them to greater quality and creativity.”
How on earth is Fukuoka 'easy to reach from Tokyo' lol. It's about as easy to reach as Seoul.

I hope it's Armored Core and not some AC game with S-

Nevermind fuck it. This happens every thread. I like Souls games but, hell let AC be AC. combat doesn't even make sense for those kinds of games. You don't need a stamina meter for a mech. You have jumpjets/thrusters and a bunch of long range fast shooting weapons and people want it like Souls?

Ugh.

It's fine when it's Souls.

Apparently.

This x100

Verendus

Banned
Miyazaki is going to look 70 when he's 50 at this rate. He'll probably still be juggling ten different games though, and be like, "This is Japan! I live for this shit!" Or whatever. The point is he works quite a lot.

PantsuJo

I know, it's a shame. But today we have Steam, Live, PSN: what damn reasons have FromSoft to avoid any digital release of these games?
It's the only chance to sell such awesome games. Aside for any legal problem with the IP (i don't know details here), From has no excuses to forgot its past.

Valnen

If they're good, who cares?

Milking as an argument is one of the poorest made in online gaming communities.

It's not like Japanese action games on current generation consoles is a flooded genre.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. If we got a souls game every year, I'd be a very happy gamer.

Hastati

Man oh man. Fukuoka is my favorite place, working for FROM while living there would be a dream...

Wonder what "easy to access from Tokyo" means though? That's like LA to Seattle, about 2 hours by plane not including having to get in and out of Narita/Haneda.

Fat4all

Banned
Miyazaki is going to look 70 when he's 50 at this rate. He'll probably still be juggling ten different games though, and be like, "This is Japan! I live for this shit!" Or whatever. The point is he works quite a lot.

034-480x319.jpg

He'll keep his ageless form for at least a millennia, then shed it to become a badass skellie.

Sakura

How on earth is Fukuoka 'easy to reach from Tokyo' lol. It's about as easy to reach as Seoul.

Yea I was thinking the same thing. If Fukuoka and its surrounding areas are easy to reach from Tokyo, then so is virtually any where in Japan lol.

if memory serves they flogged Armoured Core even harder back in the PS2 era then they did Souls now, and that was without any other then niche interest in the series outside of Japan.

If they're staffing up, well another Cookies and Cream or Echo Night game would be pretty nice.

goldenpp72

I'm sad that the Souls series is so popular because it results in all of the other things they used to do and try becoming dead. I miss the From of old where they pumped out a constant stream of interesting B games :p

Orayn

Was it a troubled development?

Somewhat, yeah. The new director wanted it to be a more radical departure from the last game, but the time, hardware, and design constraints forced them to revert to something that sticks to the formula more closely and things wound up a little jumbled as a result.

I'm just going to say no more souls or anything close to resembling that please. Give another IP a go or make a completey fresh new one

I'm sad that the Souls series is so popular because it results in all of the other things they used to do and try becoming dead. I miss the From of old where they pumped out a constant stream of interesting B games :p

That From wouldn't last. Be glad that there is at least one Japanese studio who found that rare balance of making games that are a tremendous critical and commercial succes and is in a very healthy state because of it.

Top Bottom