• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided Pre-Order program canceled

dex3108

V02vS9Z.jpg

https://www.deusex.com/news/aypo-cancelled

Hektor

thumbs up.

Can only laugh at the first part tho, the best way to take away the frustration would be to offer them everything at once or to just not offer any bonus at all.

Ascenion

The 23rd still? Why not just release it on the 19th. You had the balls to do this so you must've been pretty confident it would have been ready by then.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Good choice SE and Eidos, these exclusive content for each platform and online shops should be abolished, but I don't think that will happen.

Here's what happened. It wasn't getting enough pre-orders to justify that bullshit and rather than make it look like a flop, they made it appear as though they care about us.

Fuck Off guys- thanks.

Cleve

I wasn't offended by most of this as much as some people were. I know it had been done before with several games on steam (x-com being the only one I remember off the top of my head. maybe orcs must die as well).

The only shitty part of the deal was pushing the release date up depending on pre-orders.

Maybe an alternative could be you get additional content the EARLIER you pre-order (and keep your pre-order), with the caveat that the additional content is still unlockable(and free) to people who didn't pre-order, but not on download

Anyway I'm happy this got changed

Warxard

Banned
Here's what happened. It wasn't getting enough pre-orders to justify that bullshit and rather than make it look like a flop, they made it appear as though they care about us.

Fuck Off guys- thanks.

Eidos Montreal / Square EU is quite communicative with their consumer base so I think it's /okay/ to give the benefit of doubt and believe they listened to the criticism.

akileese

This was the next step in the "let's see how far we can go with pre-orders" and thankfully it was stopped dead in tracks rather quickly. The current pre-order environment isn't good, but it could have gotten so much worse.

Whelp I guess they found out the limit they could push people. Delaying the game for people who don't pre-order was just nonsense.

Warxard

Banned
This was the next step in the "let's see how far we can go with pre-orders" and thankfully it was stopped dead in tracks rather quickly. The current pre-order environment isn't good, but it could have gotten so much worse.

Do you own a PC? Because there are plenty of PC games that do the same thing. This is nothing new.

What were peoples problem with this? I guess I missed it.

The original scheme was basically a kickstarter thing, where you unlocked more bonuses as more people pre-ordered. This has happened on Steam before, but this is the first time such a scheme has been seen on consoles.

One of the bonuses was an exclusive mission, and the last bonus was 4 days early access to the game. And the idea was that you would NOT get this stuff if enough people didn't pre-order.

The cynic in me agrees with this.

There's no way that they would've let it come out without hitting all the preorder BS anyway. From a marketing point if they put it out but not 4 days early- then they admit they didn't get enough pre orders. Of course they had to do something. So it probably wasn't hitting numbers it was supposed to and then this happened.

Garibaldi

<sarcasm class='bullshit'>Never saw this coming at all.</sarcasm>

It was always a marketing scam in which all of the pre-order incentives would be given. They hardly would have come out with a press statement saying you nasty consumers didn't pre-order enough therefore you won't be getting the early release/other useless tat.

I didn't expect them to plug the plug this early though.

The original scheme was basically a kickstarter thing, where you unlocked more bonuses as more people pre-ordered. This has happened on Steam before, but this is the first time such a scheme has been seen on consoles.

One of the bonuses was an exclusive mission, and the last bonus was 4 days early access to the game. And the idea was that you would NOT get this stuff if enough people didn't pre-order.
The first part seems ok but that last part sounds shitty.

Skux

All it would have took was one of the producers looking at the dislike bar on the Augment Your Preorder video.

Glad they listened. Silly of them to not realise how poorly it would be received.

Gordito

Neo Member
Get all of the money from consumers that could be pressured into "more preorders means more stuff!" program; then drop the scheme to build good PR with the people complaining about it.

Excellent.

Well, they're still keeping all of the stupid preorder incentives that would inevitably have been "unlocked" anyways, so this doesn't actually change much.

Ryne

Schemes like this have happened on Steam before, such as the ongoing Tales of Zesteria pre-order bonuses going on now. This is a first for consoles I think, and I guess players just can't tolerate it there.

Terrible fucking idea that deserved to be thrown out the window. They should give the content to everyone day one as an apology... hahaha yeah that's gonna happen.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Still don't get the fuss over the scheme.
Terrible fucking idea that deserved to be thrown out the window. They should give the content to everyone day one as an apology... hahaha yeah that's gonna happen.

Try looking at the image in the OP.

JordanKZ

I mean, the question is whether they actually did this out of good faith or if things simply weren't stacking up in their favour numbers wise...

Hektor

Schemes like this have happened on Steam before, such as the ongoing Tales of Zesteria pre-order bonuses going on now.

Amazing how many people cant see the difference between a preorder bonus that gets you all content once all tiers are unlocked and one that gets you only 1/3 and locks the releasedate behind it. Literally the same.

Ryne

Amazing how many people cant see the difference between a preorder bonus that gets you all content once all tiers are unlocked and one that gets you only 1/3 and locks the releasedate behind it. Literally the same.

Both are similarly tied to pre-orders. Sure you don't get all the bonuses, but you don't get anything at all unless you pre-order, and that was what bothered a lot of people with this mechanic.

Warxard

Banned

That isn't the same thing? It's still incredibly shitty on both ends.

AmuroRX

Banned
For those people who think this was done in response to low preorder numbers...you guys obviously have no idea how these marketing ploys work. They gave no exact numbers so in any case these incentives would have "unlocked" anyway. There's been a fair share of games on steam that have done this before. Obviously its a sleazy marketing gimmick that i dont necessarily agree with but there is an unvloiced agreement that they will always reach their goal.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I suppose we just found out what's going to be next Jimquisition's main topic too, right? :p

No, the scheme is exactly the same. If enough people don't pre-order Tales of Zestiria, you will miss out on the last tier.

The only difference was that Deus Ex's final tier was a change of release date.

Hektor

No, the scheme is exactly the same. If enough people don't pre-order Tales of Zestiria, you will miss out on the last tier.

The only difference was that Deus Ex's final tier was a change of release date.

No, the scheme is exactly the same.
The only difference
No, the scheme is exactly the same. The only difference

srsly?

Another difference is that if enough people preorder you get EVERYTHING with Zestiria. While you'd be still fucked with the system mankind divided used. Is it that hard to understand? Jeez. Im out.

That isn't the same thing? It's still incredibly shitty on both ends.

I've never said zestirias ingame dlc's bonuses were a good thing.

ricki42

Fuck Off guys- thanks.

I don't doubt it. Still, it's good they fixed it, and relatively quickly and without much arguing. More importantly, it's good that enough people didn't buy into this thing and really did hold off pre-ordering to make a noticeable dent.

Shredderi

Hated the original scheme. Very nice that the they listened to feedback.

Edit:
I don't doubt it. Still, it's good they fixed it, and relatively quickly and without much arguing. More importantly, it's good that enough people didn't buy into this thing and really did hold off pre-ordering to make a noticeable dent.

Yes, this. It's nice to see that people didn't just gobble it up.

glaurung

They did the decent thing. The augmented pre-order scheme was the stupidest thing ever.

Also, a relevant pre-order bonus webstrip.

303690006_nAkLc-1050x10000.jpg

Nzyme32

Translation:

Our projected pre-order numbers are not being met by a significant margin, so we are changing the thing that people complained about

Another difference is that if enough people preorder you get EVERYTHING. While you'd be still fucked with the system mankind divided used. Is it that hard to understand? Jeez. Im out.

Same scheme. The reward was different but the scheme is the same: if enough people don't pre-order, you don't get everything. This is what Tales of Zesperia is doing. Make your friends pre-order now or you don't get all the bonuses!

That's the reason everyone complained. Having to choose between some cheat DLC wasn't the reason.

Top Bottom