• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided Pre-Order program canceled

Adry9

And that's what happens when you talk with your wallets people, they change so you take them out again.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Here's what happened. It wasn't getting enough pre-orders to justify that bullshit and rather than make it look like a flop, they made it appear as though they care about us.

Fuck Off guys- thanks.

This, lol. See what happens when we vote with our wallets guys and gals?

I don't get it. Haven't Steam games done this in the past?

Even Call of Duty has done release date shenanigans.

They don't split the game egregiously as this. Having extra games vs split game tier is a fundamentally different weight no matter what your stance it is then. If you're going to go all the way with this, then all pre-order bonusus should be shut down effectively if you believe that to be so, tiers or otherwise.

Also, the fact that they aren't going to release the game 4 days earlier is total bullshit bonus on their part. They just knew this was their selling point of the the tier system.

Bold One

Its always good to adults act like children over video games.

I'm surprised you can see us all the way up there from your pedestal, don't trip now, you wont survive the fall
ieWQRwVFXk29S.png

Z3M0G

If I understand the OP image correctly, the original offer was to allow you to choose what your pre-order content was, instead of it being dependent on which retailer you went through? Something like that?

I need more background on this... will search for a thread...

Edit: OMG WTF

VERY HAPPY THIS IS DEAD

If I understand the OP image correctly, the original offer was to allow you to choose what your pre-order content was, instead of it being dependent on which retailer you went through? Something like that?

I need more background on this... will search for a thread...

It was essentially kickstarter-like stretchgoals.

ys45

Wow the video game industry is making progress, they are more and more listening to the complaints of people/gamer community recently .

The right move. Their system was confusing, and a little abusive. It pushed people to get as many pre-orders in as possible, trying to encourage some artifical groundswell for a game that couldn't need it any less.

All that said, I still think the outrage was a bit much. This wasn't a new scheme. Steam had pushed this exact same idea a few years ago, and people really didn't care about it then. Why was it this game that stirred people into a frenzy? Also, I would've enjoyed getting the game a few days early. But since that bonus was never guaranteed, I won't lose too much sleep over that.

Yep, that's the only pre-order incentive that makes sense, especially for digital pre-orders.

Yes, this is actually a good idea and sadly thats what was largley ignored by SE at the end of this.

Honestly I don't think a tiered system for preorders is a bad thing if its done RIGHT, the BS that SE tried to pull with this was stupid but it could work if publishers were willing to actually make the bonuses feel like an actual reward and if they disclosed the numbers for each tier and updated it either daily or weekly on where the numbers were currently at.

If for example take Deus Ex had done something like the following...

Tier 1 (250k Preorders): digital artbook and digital soundtrack included

Tier 2 (500k Preorders): Physical soundtrack and artbook, extra disk with making of videos (basically what you'd normally find in an 80$ CE)

Tier 3 (1 Mil preorders): Game releases 1 week early (4 days is stupid)

Tier 4 (4 million preorders): All DLC at launch and in the future is free to everyone.

Now something like that could get behind.

Mesoian

Why aren't they releasing the game on the 19th anyway? They were obviously able to.

Because that was totally the plan and the act of moving up the date was totally artificial. The intended release date was always the 19th.

They likely needed to delay deeper into 2016. Can't do that when you have people paying for a specific release date.

Xeteh

I remember the Giant Bomb guys talking about it on the podcast... the reason they all felt it was pretty scummy was because there was that there was no information on how many preorders it would take to fill the meter to unlock things. They could fill the meter as slow/fast as they wanted and there was no way it wouldn't hit the final goal because that would be like saying there wasn't enough interest in their game.

It came off as some huge advertisement to get more pre-orders for no real reason. It was stupid, glad they backed out of it.

inky

Still not pre-ordering (I pre-ordered and loved DE HR btw), but I'm glad they didn't get away with this shit. I guess they are only half idiots, and not full on idiots.

Savitar

Good, I was worried this was going to become yet another future thing that was common place. Made me not want to play the game and I loved the last one.

AU Tiger

Good for them for listening. Not surprised by this at all.

Still not pre-ordering. I got plenty of games to play for a while. I liked the last one though so I may pick this one up eventually.

Mahonay

Banned
Very glad to see they bailed on this shameful shit. Maybe they'll learn a lesson from this. Maybe they just didn't get enough preorders to make their scheme work as intended.

Monocle

Good outcome. I hope the public outcry really was enough to send a clear message that gamers won't accept such a shameless pre-order incentivizing scheme. This anti-consumer nonsense has to be tempered at some point.

Eh, I wasn't too bothered by it. I consider it an experiment that the overall community didn't like. Well, Eidos/Square Enix got the message and have made amends. Everyone should be happy!

All I know is I want this game! Human Revolution is an outstanding game through and through. I just played through it again and it's still as amazing as I remember it.

sjay1994

Including all the content in a pre order instead of splitting it up between retailers? What will these company's think up next?

Games that work on day 1?

No microtransactions in 60 dollar games?

What a time to be alive.

-_-

Top Bottom