• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided Pre-Order program canceled

CHC

Here's what happened. It wasn't getting enough pre-orders to justify that bullshit and rather than make it look like a flop, they made it appear as though they care about us.

Fuck Off guys- thanks.

Translation:

Our projected pre-order numbers are not being met by a significant margin, so we are changing the thing that people complained about

Always has to be something to bitch about eh

A shitty idea was abandoned, who cares, it's a good thing

ricki42

For those people who think this was done in response to low preorder numbers...you guys obviously have no idea how these marketing ploys work. They gave no exact numbers so in any case these incentives would have "unlocked" anyway. There's been a fair share of games on steam that have done this before. Obviously its a sleazy marketing gimmick that i dont necessarily agree with but there is an unvloiced agreement that they will always reach their goal.

I think you misunderstood what people meant. Square-Enix don't care about what gets unlocked. They could have claimed any number and unlocked any silly in-game bonus, doesn't matter.
What they do care about is how much money they are getting and what their day-1 sales will look like. And low pre-order numbers mean less money for Square-Enix. So of course they care about low pre-order numbers.

I don't doubt it. Still, it's good they fixed it, and relatively quickly and without much arguing. More importantly, it's good that enough people didn't buy into this thing and really did hold off pre-ordering to make a noticeable dent.

I'd love if that was true, that's what needs to happen.I think with everything coming out now, it's not a top priority to pre order- Now if this came about in say January when it's slow- we wouldn't have gotten this withdrawal letter.

GavinUK86

I didn't have a problem with it but it's nice to hear that they listen to fans. I've had the CE preordered since it was announced anyway so it doesn't really matter.

The cynic in me can think of all sorts of reasons to why they've worded it like they have but it's Deus Ex, it's Eidos Montreal, it's Square Enix. They've never gave me reason to doubt them before so I won't now.

glaurung

I didn't have a problem with it but it's nice to hear that they listen to fans. I've had the CE preordered since it was announced anyway so it doesn't really matter.

The cynic in me can think of all sorts of reasons to why they've worded it like they have but it's Deus Ex, it's Eidos Montreal, it's Square Enix. They've never gave me reason to doubt them before so I won't now.
Don't think it's the fans who they heard. More likely Boogie2988 and TotalBiscuit. Both slammed their scheme, hard. Justified-ly so.
Get fucked SE and Eidos
Should be a box quote for the game.

I guess it is a positive thing that happened here in the long run. Although I can't help but imagine that this was the result of unexpectedly low pre-order numbers rather then an actual response to outcry. A service like this can't be cheap to maintain so if Square were not seeing a positive rise in pre-order numbers then it is in their interest to just dump the entire system, go back to a more conventional pre-order bonus system and spin it like 'we listened to you.' Just a prediction of course.

Nzyme32

Always has to be something to bitch about eh

A shitty idea was abandoned, who cares, it's a good thing

I'm not bitching, I just think that is the fact of the situation. This should have been turned around a long time back when it was obvious that it was not liked, for an otherwise highly anticipated game. The reason it wasn't turned around so soon was simply business, rather than feedback.

I'm happy they are changing it, but it doesn't really change anything for me. I'll get it if the reviews are reasonable

Floody

So everything is still behind a pre-order/Day One Edition? If so I wouldn't consider it winning, just getting screwed less.

glaurung

So no need to preorder, as the same contents will be in the Day 1 Edition.
In a nutshell, yes.

But... What is a Day One Edition nowadays? Just the first batch of the game that comes with a slightly different box art and some extra DLC codes in there? And since these get printed in such massive quantities, you can purchase a Day 1 version 30 days past the release date and not lose out on a single thing.

Unless they force the retailers to replace the stock with a non-day-one edition at some point, before it going out of stock.

Here's what happened. It wasn't getting enough pre-orders to justify that bullshit and rather than make it look like a flop, they made it appear as though they care about us.

Fuck Off guys- thanks.

Except nothing was stopping them from fudging the numbers. They never claimed how many preorders were required for each tier.

Omega

Banned
that opening paragraph lol

Wonder if they realize that people just don't want stupid preorder bullshit. I don't have anything against preorders, but stop the tiered nonsense or exclusive content. I don't mean just for Deus Ex, but for all future games.

Steroyd

This pleases me.

I suppose we just found out what's going to be next Jimquisition's main topic too, right? :p

Between Tony Hawks, Anita Sarkesean in the UN and this it could be anything next week, also isn't MGO due to be launched soon, more ammunitition on his #Fuckonami segment is inbound to.

LAA

Awesome, was stupid to lock content from people (And to miss some of the content if I understand correctly?), forever based on choices and we should have just got all of it, or left all in the game at least.

While the concept of "everyone working together to get something" sounds good on paper at least, locking content away from others and this even possibly becoming a "standard thing" is even worse. Maybe they could have implemented this idea for just the week early thing, though personally I don't mind if I have to wait a week more for it to be more polished.

Fuck Off guys- thanks.

This is so far from the truth. They were going to release all of the content no matter how many pre-orders they received. They just were not expecting the backlash that this marketing stunt created.

Fuck Off guys- thanks.

No one outside SE had to know anything about the amount of preorders. There could've been ten people preordering and they could've set the bar at whatever percentage they wanted.

Chronoja

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

seriously though, despite their attempts to spin it in their favor as usual, companies learning when to backpedal on bad decisions is always good.

Fuck Off guys- thanks.

This.

The outrage was a month ago. Most people have probably forgotten it by now. Ironically that also includes forgetting to pre order it. Nice try at saving face SE.

DeaviL

Banned
Please don't shit on companies when they damn listen.
If it's never good, why would they ever listen again?

Pastry

Banned
Fantastic news! I'm really surprised we haven't seen anything from EA regarding pre-order content and special editions for Battlefront unless I completely missed something?

glaurung

We were going to get everything either way. Hard to care one way or another.
The final tier unlockable reward was the most vile thing ever. It was essentially: give us money in exchange for an early release. I hate stuff like that. Most people should.

As for the rest of the DLC, maliciously cutting chunks out of the game in order to repackage them as pre-order bonuses... That's mean too.

If they had kept the tiers secret and reveal them bit-by-bit along the line, there'd been a gamification element. But they just came right out and slammed that shit on the players.

antitrop

They got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Their PR spin on it is pretty amusing to me, I'll give them that.

Steroyd

Please don't shit on companies when they damn listen.
If it's never good, why would they ever listen again?

They "listened" after recieving backlash from an idea that never should have existed in the first place if they said it out loud to themselves, will I give them props for backing down on this, sure, will I still fling shit at them for thinking this idea was going to fly in the first place, absolutely.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Consumers win for once? What is this madness.

Consumers always win in the end, it just often takes an awfully long time.

This is good. It was going to set a precedent, and I'm glad it will no longer do that. I wonder what game will try this again, though.

Lothars

Are we starting with this factually wrong nonsense again?
It's not factually wrong, There is multiple instances of this same thing happening and people were okay with it.

It's good that they listened but don't go and spread bullshit that it's suddenly not okay now but it was okay when other companies did it.

Glass

Good. I couldn't believe the incentive when it was announced, up until then Mankind Divided hadn't put a foot wrong. Back to a day 1 for me!

Top Bottom