• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company Withdraws Settlement Offer in Copyright Lawsuit (this is bad)

Lebon14

New news, new thread.

For those of you that weren't aware, the Pokémon Company recently sued a fan over alleged copyright infringement. Here's the breakdown of what happened: A Seattle Café owner named Ramar Larkin Jones was going to be throwing a Pokémon themed party at his café, the Pokémon Company slapped him with a lawsuit, and the two parties supposedly managed to agree to a settlement. Jones was unable to pay the settlement and set up a crowdfunding campaign which successfully had managed to accrue the funds. Unfortunately for him, the Pokémon Company has now withdrawn the settlement, evidently as a result of his painting the Pokémon Company in a bad light.

More: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...lement_in_lawsuit_over_copyright_infringement

Previously:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119794

Sue me for copyright infringement if old.

---Pertinent info:
(from page 19)

The discussion of this thread would really benefit from the legal documents in question being in the OP...I link some below

Diffense said:
Given that the event did not even happen, how will TPC claim it was damaged? I'm guessing it will be all about Pikachu and Snivy images on a poster and a facebook page? How much did that really cost them? I'm pretty sure the entire cost to TPC is the money they paid lawyers to sue the guy.
The copyrighted images were used infringing on the exclusive rights TPC have to them. That is entirely what the original case is about:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/276573606/Pokemon-Lawsuit
Note that in the final judgement (I can't get direct scribed links to work here but the documents are embedded in this page) the judge effectively issued a cease and desist* to the defendants (destroy all copies, delete all posts, don't do any more of this stuff or help anyone else with this stuff) and said TPCi could get their legal costs back but no other damages were rewarded to TPCi.

*-Which like many people wonder if that was the result why spend $5400 going to court which you then settle for $4000 (in other words losing $1400) but decide to rescind because bad PR getting yourself the bad PR you claim the settlement gave you in the first place.

I'm surprised they withdrew the suit. It seemed like a pretty clear cut case of infringement to me. I guess the PR is worth more than a few grand!

Roni

Gold Member
Piece of shit move by the enterprise. They only stand to lose by further antagonizing and milking someone for cash.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
It's not exactly going to fix the situation. That was some very bad publicity.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm still surprised that this happened to begin with.

This is what happens when you fly too close to the sun, in this situation, Pax.

And the guy shouldn't have talked about an ONGOING legal situation. When you do that, expect no mercy.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah, some people reading the OP wrong, this is actually worse for them to do to the guy.

This company is entering cartoon villain territory.

Riki

Copyright infringement is taken to court.
Defendant talks about ongoing litigation.
Copyright holder says no deal.

Seems pretty cut and dry here.

Wagram

Rehashed Pokemon games don't generate enough revenue for them anymore.

Fans beware!

Yes it's a fucking joke...and a poor one.

"Oh, we're getting bad PR over this. Let's withdraw our settlement offer because this bad PR is all his fault and just take him to court."

TPC what are you doing

Reset

Rehashed Pokemon games don't generate enough revenue for them anymore.

Fans beware!

Yes it's a fucking joke...and a poor one.

Even if it's a joke, it is the truth. And I'm one of them that buys their mainline games day 1. :(

KingBroly

Banned
Man, fuck The Pokémon Company.

You do realize he talked about it AFTER they offered him a settement and before he accepted it, right?

They're withdrawing the settlement because he went public with it, trying to shit on them. You simply don't do that. Like ever.

Riki

I'm surprised how many people don't have a clue what the title means.
Has no one watched Law and Order?

You do realize he talked about it AFTER they offered him a settement and before he accepted it, right?

They're withdrawing the settlement because he went public with it, trying to shit on them. You simply don't do that. Like ever.

He went public with it because it was incredibly shitty of TPC to do. I can't believe some people think it's actually worth the time to bring some small time Seattle cafe owner to court and potentially ruin his life financially over a party.

No, it's not because he didn't do anything wrong. They're technically correct that he infringed on their copyrights.

However, they're still gigantic fucking asswads.

Corpekata

Banned

Oh no he was dumb about legal proceedings. Truly this makes things better.

Dice//

Banned
i wonder what murkrow tastes like

IZsTGRB.jpg

How the fuck is taking the lil guy to court gonna paint them in a better light

Q3OjVSu.gif

Just replace Ubisoft with TPC

Also in the other thread it was said it wasn't at his cafe

Can this be added to OP:? For clarity ((it's in article):

We had agreed to a settlement once the story broke on motherboard we got a email saying they were pulling the offer because I was bad mouthing them tho I was not.

Even if it's a joke, it is the truth. And I'm one of them that buys their mainline games day 1. :(

Fully agreed. TPC is being really stupid here - it's just a damn party and it wasn't like he was exploiting them on purpose.

And call me out on this but I fully agree on their games being a rehash. I've played the original games too fully and I stopped because of how repetitive they were.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah, that source in the OP is kind of bad in general. Some wrong info, and it ends with "Do you think this guy is hiding something?"

I guess given the nature of the source it's not surprising.

So wait, they are upset about bad PR, so they do so something that will get them more bad PR?

They have some geniuses running that company.

Anko

Unfortunately for him, the Pokémon Company has now withdrawn the settlement, evidently as a result of his painting the Pokémon Company in a bad light.

The irony. So they decided to paint themselves in an even worse light.

True Fire

Pretty expected. While I do think they have the right to sue anyone who uses their intellectual property without their permission, it's clear that the negative press had the potential to cost far more than 4000 dollars. It's true for any company scandal, which is why fan outrage is so important to changing companies' actions

EDIT: Nevermind, I got ahead my myself and assumed TPCi was a rational company. Apparently they're still going ahead with the lawsuit? What the fuck? Like I said, the bad PR will cost them more than what the settlement would have been

christ man, TPC is such a piece of shit. I continue to hope for the day nintendo does some sleazy backdoor deals to get ownership of pokemon that way we can be gone with TPC

Top Bottom