• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the dust is settled, Quiet's probably the most embarrassing gaming character

Hypron

So I haven't play this game yet, but she looks ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/VQvyv8iHGkQ

Did anyone post this video of Quiet showering in a cage as men moan and make sexual comments about her? That is probably the most objectifying thing I've seen in a game.

And the key word in the thread title is "embarrassing." Stuff like this would turn me off of playing this game in front of anyone.

Yeah, I actually couldn't believe what I was seeing. And then some people defend this crap...

Odrion

Banned

Did anyone post this video of Quiet showering in a cage as men moan and make sexual comments about her? That is probably the most objectifying thing I've seen in a game.

And the key word in the thread title is "embarrassing." Stuff like this would turn me off of playing this game in front of anyone.

konami was right

I would agree. The nudity was unnecessary. Would have still liked the character without fan service and it felt of place. You could have done an exposed character who needs photosynthesis without tits and ass everywhere. Dumb. Kojima needs to push beyond this baseline fan service.

It's like you have played Japanese video games before.

I'm not embarrassed because it's a goofy, fun, video game, no matter how many child soldiers they cram into it.

Sure, it has serious moments, but so does anime which'll also have boob ladies doing boob lady things for no other reason than 'Japan'.

She's certainly not shameless, but in a game where you are meant to fall in love with the character along with Big Boss, I'm not surprised they lay it on heavy.

Classy? Nah. But it's still fiction (not that that simply excuses it, but it is what it is).
Most Bond films have a sexy female character mostly there for no there for no other reason than to tempt Bond. At least Quiet is also supposed to be strong and powerful, way more skilled than any of the other characters.

Roscoe182

completely agree.

i loved the idea of her at the beginning she is an absolute bad ass
but then they introduce her back story.
and oh god its awful id rather they told us she was just a highly sexual woman.
that would have been much better.

MGSv will go down as hands down the best stealth game i have ever played but ultimately the worst MGS game iv played.

JackelZXA

lmao

blaibukt.png

Oh hey look at me up there. (I guess whatever this poster was on about was already resolved, I just saw my username and kind of wanted to say something)

I kinda hope whatever Kojima does for his next game doesn't have this problem. It didn't work here. It was a clash and took a character that should have been badass and just pulled some shitty direction decisions that betrayed that. The 'violence is the same thing' arguments are missing the point. It's not JUST "offensive content argument" as much as it was a poorly executed character that had sex content that wasn't actually justified in universe or even thematically serving anything for the character. Mortal Kombat characters are huge murderers that constantly kill eachother every day. The creators never betray the characters in their cinematics (as far as the recent games are concerned, there are no major oversights in anything but some shitty lore consistency). The camera work on Quiet just has no actual justification and is just an animator being horny. Her toplessness isn't really the problem, it's the stuff surrounding it.

Again, Jack in ME2 is basically topless, but the creators took it as a challenge to present a strong character without relying on selling her for sex, and she ended up being one of the most well liked characters in the franchise. It's all about how the creators treat their characters. Fortune in MGS2 is wearing a leotard, but they portrayed her well and it never became an issue (again, the design ends up emphasizing her muscle, not her bum, which is cool). The Boss in MGS3 has her suit opened for the entire ending and last boss of the game and she's one of the best female characters in gaming (You connect with The Boss and feel for her suffering). They just did a bad job and betrayed the character of Quiet for more and more sex appeal.

And like...they don't even do anything interesting with conveying her parasites being used for breathing. They made an excuse for her to not wear a shirt, but then they didn't do that much interesting with it beyond sex appeal (The interrogation bit and some of the stuff in Quiet Exit being moments where they did use it for interesting story moments). I said it earlier, but showing her parasites breathing via weird effects on her skin would have been a crazy way to further the base concept in ways other than sex appeal. And again, her torn up lingerie feels odd. Some pants wouldn't have conflicted with her backstory and would have balanced out the design. Additionally, I think a female version of Vamp's weird outfit from MGS4 would have been an interesting design as well. The idea of needing to expose the skin arround her lungs can work if its not just a one dimensional aspect of her character. But really, the problem ends up not just being that she's naked, because the camera's constantly fixating on her ass for no reason anyways.

Like...okay here's an example of the main problem with Quiet from another game. Betraying the character through poor direction. In Twin Snakes there are all those matrix scenes and shit and that stuff's stupid, but it's not the biggest reason why that game is a horrible depiction of Solid Snake. When he finds the Arms Tech President he throws a tantrum and pulls a gun on him for NO good reason, and then he pulls a fucking gun on Otacon later when he finds him, too. It's shitty fucking directing decisions that are just there because the director liked it, and not because of anything relating to the actual story or characters. There's no justification for that lazy shit and it is a fucking shame they treated the character like an action figure toy and not like a person. That's why Quiet's treatment is annoying and Bayonetta's aren't. Bayo's sex appeal is as a person and a character, and Quiet's is as a doll/toy that doesn't realize what's happening to it. That's what is meant by 'reducing a character to a sex object'. If the character feels like the creator is "playing with them" then that's where it starts to feel gross and weird. It's not about the idea of nudity or sex, it's about the way it's done. Snake pulling a gun on someone is cool, but Snake pulling a gun on innocent civilians (one of which becomes his BEST FRIEND in later games) is fucking garbage. It's bad characterization and lack of awareness on the creators' part.

Dunkley

I didn't like Quiet from her presentation on and holy shit it only got worse from there once we actually found out about her backstory and got to see those "scenes" with her. I admit besides the design I hoped she would turn out to be a meaningful character, but sadly what we got instead was absolute fan service garbage making any remote glint of character depth invalid to me.

Her torture scene with dat boob close-up while she was suffering
, the rain scene with Quiet, the showering with Quiet scene and the fact that there is one of her cutscenes that actually breaks the game's established cutscene rules by letting you walk around freely instead of having preset camera angles just so you can stare at Quiet at every angle you desire are the worst offenders. Her ACC animations at maximum affection weren't impressive either, just made me wonder what the hell Kojima was thinking.

Honestly she was pretty bad, was glad to replace her with DD again as soon as I maxed out my relationship with her since honestly MGSV is off a better game without reminding myself of the limited development budget wasted on fanservice crap like that, especially considering apparently it was so high priority in development that they rather polished the animations of/scenes with Quiet to a maximum instead of investing even that small amount of money in making Chapter 2 less garbage.

Ekai

Uh... I don't even know where to begin here. Ellie does have agency and so do every other female character in TLoU. Have you played Left Behind, btw?

Heavily disagreed there. I mean, Ellie's agency is
literally robbed from her at every corner. The one time she does anything at all is Winter. Afterwards the ending continues to rob her of her agency.
I watched an LP of it, that's all I need to see of that. It's honestly the only bit of the whole game where she does have agency outside of the one I mention in the spoiler.

Eva in MGS 3 is sex positive. Quiet is not sex positive. She doesn't express any of her sexuality. We know nothing about it.

There are quite a few sex positive female videogame characters, from popular titles. Max Payne, Wolfenstein The New Order, Witcher 2+3, Bioware games, Saints Row, and some others I'm forgetting. But I don't see enough evidence to posit Quiet as sex positive.

I wasn't arguing that Quiet is sex-positive? I also agree, Eva is far more sex-positive than Quiet ever was but even then that's not exactly sex-positive I would say.

She doesn't lack agency. She
has her will thwarted.

Completely different concepts.

Succeeding in one's endeavors is not a requirement for a strong character.

It's not a requirement, I agree. But to me that's one way to say the same thing in regards to Ellie.

... But she's a child! Who is precious to humanity - she's objectified because of her condition. She is protected and sheltered because the context demands it. They need to keep her safe. It would be exactly the same if she were a boy (provided Sarah were swapped for a boy too.)

This line of reasoning doesn't work at all. Lacking agency is fine if the narrative qualifies it. Lacking agency is not fine if the character's situation demands agency. (Which Ellie's doesn't until Winter - when she's just focused on saving someone she cares about.)

What do you think of Marlene and Tess? Plenty of agency for both of them. It's clear Naughty Dog know how to write female characters.

....So? Children can have agency just fine. Clem in TWD Season 2 for one of many examples. The children in Pathologic also have quite a bit of agency going for them. Ken in P3. The brothers in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. As do many other children in many games.
I'd argue that the context doesn't demand it. That she is rather shafted to the role she inhabits. She could easily have agency as Left Behind shows. But no, the main game robs her of any in the first place because she is treated as though she has to be treated that way for the grand majority of gameplay.
The narrative itself robs her of it in the ending

I wasn't too impressed with Marlene or Tess really. They're better than Ellie, that's for damn sure. How much that's saying, I can't say. Overall I just find the writing not that great for that game and I wouldn't hold any of the women in it as examples of great writing.

With respect to Ellie: What game does the written character more justice?

You may need to crawl in a cave for a deep slumberfastic period of reflection.

Nothing personal at all,..but I have been subjects to regretful opinions after a few influential spirits.

If you're suggesting that I'm drunk for daring to criticize the writing in LoU and that Ellie is the best written character in gaming, I seriously have to question your argumentation style. 1) It's opinion. And frankly I find Ellie to be not that well-written. We can go back and forth on it if you want but if you're going to open with some sort of insult, I get the sense this will go nowhere.

If you want games that are well-written look to Pathologic. That game does writing on a masterclass level. Seriously, just about nothing comes close to even comparing with that game. Or say, Planescape:Torment, which I always see people tout. Haven't played it myself yet but I do own it. 2) I'm not regretting criticizing LoU and I never have. Insults also aren't too welcome on these boards last I checked.

I wasn't saying you did, that was my critique. I didn't make that very clear.

That's great but none of that makes her well-written though.

As I said, she's two dimensional. In the same way a Marvel character is, she is a power fantasy with an additional human "vulnerability" on the side. That's not to dismiss her positive qualities, I just think it's a very low bar if she is held up as well-written.

I'm not disputing any of that.

Gotcha.

Agree to disagree on the middle-front then.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Heavily disagreed there. I mean, Ellie's agency is
literally robbed from her at every corner. The one time she does anything at all is Winter. Afterwards the ending continues to rob her of her agency.
Uh... as someone pointed out, having one's will thwarted != having no agency.

I wasn't too impressed with Marlene or Tess really. They're better than Ellie, that's for damn sure. How much that's saying, I can't say. Overall I just find the writing not that great for that game and I wouldn't hold any of the women in it as examples of great writing.
That's just crazy talk now.

If you want games that are well-written look to Pathologic. That game does writing on a masterclass level. Seriously, just about nothing comes close to even comparing with that game. Or say, Planescape:Torment, which I always see people tout. Haven't played it myself yet but I do own it.
Uh... your only example (other than Pathologic) of a better written game than TLoU is one you haven't even played and only go by word of mouth?

Sorry but that's just laughable.

Platy

Eva in MGS 3 is sex positive. Quiet is not sex positive. She doesn't express any of her sexuality. We know nothing about it.

There are quite a few sex positive female videogame characters, from popular titles. Max Payne, Wolfenstein The New Order, Witcher 2+3, Bioware games, Saints Row, and some others I'm forgetting. But I don't see enough evidence to posit Quiet as sex positive.

Sex Positive is not something individual characters can be ... it something the WORK AS A WHOLE must be. You can't be sex positive with one character if the entire morale of the story is that sex leads to death, for example.

That being said, you can't be sex positive if you only show "hot body types" being sex positive. If the body would be ok on a nude magazine, it is not sex positiveness, it is being just eye candy.

Eva uses her sexuality as a simple tool to fuck up with snake (using sex as a tool for bad things = sex negative) and there is no single non-hot character being happy and owning their sexuality.

Sorry, but Metal Gear 3 cannot be called sex positive.

Future

Haha when does that shit happen. Gotta be filthy with maxed quiet affection? So bad

Yeah I loved MGS5 but it's the most embarrassing one to play because of scenes like that. Wife doesn't understand the awesome stealth and just looks at me weird as quiet fucking stares or wiggles her ass at me in a helicopter. Like I'm just trying to start a mission Jesus.

At least in mgs4 you had to opt into the ridiculous photo shoot stuff

Ekai

Uh... as someone pointed out, having one's will thwarted != having no agency.

That's just crazy talk now.

Uh... your only example (other than Pathologic) of a better written game than TLoU is one you haven't even played and only go by word of mouth?

Sorry but that's just laughable.

As I already pointed out, I very much disagree with that in regards to Ellie. Also, you were arguing that she has agency. But she doesn't...she never really does in the entire game, that's my point.

No, it's just my view on the game. Sorry you want to call me crazy for daring to criticize LoU? As I stated I feel the game's writing does every character a disservice for relying so heavily on fridging as a means of character development.

I listed two games of many. If you really want me to, I could list games off all day that have infinitely better writing than LoU for me. The Bioshock series for starters. System Shock 1 and 2, Undertale, Read Only Memories, Life is Strange, Skies of Arcadia, Gabriel Knight series, Phantasmagoria 2, The Last Express, Broken Sword series, Monkey Island, Longest Journey, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Deadly Premonition, D4, Nier, the listing goes on and on. I listed those because 1) Pathologic legit has far and away the best writing in gaming. and 2) Because I see people tout Planescape all the damn time and have seen a decent chunk of it's writing in screenshots. It's not laughable I listed just two, it's to the point. What is laughable is your insulting me (rather than addressing what I've stated) over opinions on the quality of a games writing. Part of me suspects also that no matter how many I listed you would have found some way to be a jerk/extremely dismissive about it. Given your insulting nature from the start of this, I get the feeling no matter what I say this will go nowhere as well. Sorry for daring to not agree with you on a video game of all things?

It's getting off-topic at this point too. We were still on-topic when we were discussing Quiet in regards to Bayo but now it's just way off-base. If you actually want to discuss with me on this, PM me. If you're just going to be dismissive/insulting then it's not worth the time.

Honestly, this thread has turned me around slightly in the direction of people that don't like how Quiet was portrayed. It is in fact ridiculous what they did with her and is nothing less than trying to pander. However, I still don't understand the people that say it makes them uncomfortable or they feel embarrassed to play the game around people.

Why do you care what people that aren't playing the game think? I feel like Quiet is no different than what they do in movies now a days. The difference between women in movies and Quiet though is at least she has an actual character with a decent story. And it's not like those cutscenes are constant either. You see them once and then never again. Hell, I never even saw the shower scene with all the guys watching her and I have over 100 hours in the game.

As I said earlier I'm starting to understand the other side. I think embarrassing is stretching though. I was never embarrassed playing the game even once. There's still absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying an attractive woman.

Dare

Banned
In the future mainstream games will most likely have even more sex positive/sexually emancipated women characters like Quiet.

Perhaps even straight up graphic depictions of romance and sex itself.

I didn't find Quiet to be overtly objectified, and she definitely had more agency than most women ever have in real life.

As a person that studies Sociology and Gender Studies at a post graduate level for going on 13 years now, I have no issues with her, and I'm sure some would even call her a Feminist and strong woman character.

As we move into a less puritanical and more sex-positive society, I hope more people will come to not emotionally react with feelings of shame or embarrassment when they encounter a sexualized female body in a video game.

Personally, I've found that most of the people that find these types of things to be terribly offensive also have compounded radical/extremist views of human sexuality themselves and are mostly looking for an easy target to demonize.

There are much better Feminist causes to support and focus on than a silly fan service shower scene in a video game.

Monocle

It's embarrassing that there is a 23 page thread about this. Quit moaning people and go and CV play some games.
Let's make like Quiet's ample bust and BURST OUT of the confines of this discussion, greeting the world with nipples facing straight ahead, firm of purpose, unrestrained in their wanton passion for freedom.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In the future mainstream games will most likely have even more sex positive/sexually emancipated women characters like Quiet.
Yes, nothing says sexual agency and empowerment like being leered at by male characters, being almost raped by male characters, and being designed solely for the purpose of titillating male players.

I wish. This is nothing like that at all. Quiet doesn't even get to have sex, now does she?

I didn't find Quiet to be overtly objectified, and she definitely had more agency than most women ever have in real life.
Really now...

As a person that studies Sociology and Gender Studies at a post graduate level for going on 13 years now, I have no issues with her, and I'm sure some would even call her a Feminist and strong woman character.

As we move into a less puritanical and more sex-positive society, I hope more people will come to not emotionally react with feelings of shame or embarrassment when they encounter a sexualized female body in a video game.

Personally, I've found that most of the people that find these types of things to be terribly offensive also have compounded radical/extremist views of human sexuality themselves and are mostly looking for an easy target to demonize.

There are much better Feminist causes to support and focus on than a silly fan service shower scene in a video game.
Ohh, damn. I got caught by Poe's Law again. Welp.

Friction

What am I watching?! And to think i got my wife to buy this game for me. HELP GAF. I think I might potentially be in trouble.

Dare

Banned
Yes, nothing says sexual agency and empowerment like being leered at by male characters, being almost raped by male characters, and being designed solely for the purpose of titillating male players.

You do realize some women really love being "gawked" at or "leered" at as the totalitarian extremists say and, in fact, become empowered by it, right?

It's purely foolish and unethical to sex shame both men and women because they enjoy the character portrayal of Quiet or the fanservice she provides.

And to stoop so low as to categorize all male sexual interest of Quiet's character in a broad fictional universe like MGS as "leering" or "almost raped" is just flat out unacademic and reactionary.

Might as well start a crusade against prostitution, webcam girls, twitch.tv streamers that sexualize themselves and flirt with their users for tips or anything else that you find personally offensive and uncomfortable due to whatever skewed ideas you have of academic sociological concepts that you never actually studied and whimsically decided to appropriate from pop social media like Tumblr.

Appropriation of feminist intersectionality concepts in unacademic ways like sex shaming has only served to push back feminism and reinforce toxic gender norms that were established by patriarchy in the first place.

Not only that but the young woman that was the model for the character of Quiet is probably deeply saddened and frightened by the backlash as well.

And that's not Feminist.

IMO, most of the posters in this thread need to stop obsessing about the faux feminist issues of the character of Quiet and worry about real issues like SEX TRAFFICKING, or HIV IN AFRICA, or, MICRO LOANS ONLY TO WOMEN IN POVERTY, etc.

If she wasn't an enjoyable character thematically or didn't contribute to the story that's a personal opinion and it doesn't need to be attached to a moral crusade. Many people loved her simply for the fanservice and if that's all she was in the end and the actress that portrayed her is fine with that then I'm just going to be happy with another great MGS game and not waste my time on a reactionary extremist minority opinon when bigger more important Feminist issues can be tackled.

My life partner really liked Quiet and she roleplays her quite often in the bedroom ;)

jmood88

If you're going to try to parody feminists, it would help if you had any understanding of feminism at all. This whole thing just sounds like a Breitbart commenter's extremely misguided understanding of what feminists criticize in games.

Dare

Banned
I can post my credentials and published works if you want it doesn't matter to me as I'm authentic and don't appropriate intersectional feminism the way uneducated people have in this thread. Simply disgusting.

Internet only Feminists or Tumblr users that appropriate undergrad level sociological concepts is a gross trend that needs to be over with as it is flat out destructive to women everywhere and only serves to push Feminism backwards.

Anyway if you people want to remain outraged over fanservice in a MGS game I can't stop you. But I definitely can say SHAME ON YALL, there are REAL WOMEN OUT THERE RIGHT NOW THAT COULD USE THE ATTENTION YOU WASTE ON THIS FORUM TALKING LOADS OF HOLYIER THAN THOU BS.

Bio

The part that weirds me out is when people pretend that "this kind of stuff is what is keeping gaming from being taken seriously" when like, come on, every single medium has far worse stuff in big name things. Scantily clad sexualized women aren't going to disappear from games just like they aren't going to disappear from movies or television, if you're waiting for that moment you're gonna be waiting a loooooong time.

Dare

Banned
The part that weirds me out is when people pretend that "this kind of stuff is what is keeping gaming from being taken seriously" when like, come on, every single medium has far worse stuff in big name things. Scantily clad sexualized women aren't going to disappear from games just like they aren't going to disappear from movies or television, if you're waiting for that moment you're gonna be waiting a loooooong time.

Group think and circlejerk internet culture did this. It's purely an uneducated internet user only phenomena and at the graduate level, you straight up get tossed out on your ass if you bring this stuff up by any real Feminist.

Yeah, what sort of message are these so-called feminists giving all those sex-positive girls who want to grow up to be a badass assassin that gets no respect from the men around her despite saving their lives. What if it were your daughter that wanted to be leered and jeered at while she takes a shower. How dare you deny her that choice!
How dare they slut shame someone just because they breath through their skin. Damn those puritanical internet feminazis.

/s

Defending Quiet is like taking your girlfriend to a strip club to see all those emancipated sex positive role models taking charge of their own sexuality. If your girlfriend gets upset she is betraying feminism amirite?

I don't actually have a problem with Quiet's outfit or character. What I have a problem with is the way the camera always lingers or zooms in on her ass, the rain scene and the shower scene. Whenever that soft of thing happens in a game it's always gross. The thing is, The BB Corps from MGS4 are far more disgusting and embarrassing. They're functionally the same as Quiet except instead of parasites they explain themselves with the atrocities of war and PTSD. And there's a straight up photoshoot mode.

The Wall

Banned
When I first heard that there was going to be a fairly prominent, new female character in MGSV that was to be a sniper referred to as "Quiet", who didn't speak, it immediately reminded me of MGS3 boss naming conventions and I was interested in hearing more about the game.

'Neat', I thought. I wondered what else to expect with this one. Seemed to be the beginnings of some pretty good-standard MGS series writing.

Then...then I felt it just got taken too far. Part of what I love about the MGS series is when it doesn't take itself seriously but..

I don't expect any video game to be some bastion for advancing how the female gender is viewed and presented in popular media. But Quiet as a whole just makes me tired of the whole fanservice schtick. Her design, display and general presentation was just too ridiculous, imho. /sigh

Dare

Banned
Yeah, what sort of message are these so-called feminists giving all those sex-positive girls who want to grow up to be a badass assassin that gets no respect from the men around her despite saving their lives. What if it were your daughter that wanted to be leered and jeered at while she takes a shower. How dare you deny her that choice!
How dare they slut shame someone just because they breath through their skin. Damn those puritanical internet feminazis.

/s

Defending Quiet is like taking your girlfriend to a strip club to see all those emancipated sex positive role models taking charge of their own sexuality. If your girlfriend gets upset she is betraying feminism amirite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusty_Lady

There are Feminist run strip clubs.

Your whole argument is based on an adverse emotional reaction to the depiction of sexuality of a fictional character in the form of "fanservice" which is big in Japanese culture. What you're arguing is a purely unacademic and uncritical stance to start from in the first place.

I'd fail you if you were in my Gender Issues and Equality class.

There are millions of books out there written by Great Feminist Authors in the Erotic Bondage category that verbally illustrate much worse depictions of women.

And every one of those authors would stand by their work any day of the week and call it Feminist.

This reactive garbage crap has gone way past any identifiable academic Feminism and straight into sex shaming puritanical zealotry and fear mongering. It is downright harmful to society to engage in these types of Fox News style hyperboles.

And of course, it only exists in pocket communities on the internet.

Dare

Banned
Do you have any examples of such strip clubs that still exist and are not defunct? Just curious.

I'm quite certain there are many seeing as the whole profession of erotic stripping was largely evolved by early adopters of the woman's severance movement, and seeing as we both have access to a computer terminal and can type, it'd probably be best if you did your own googling eh?

Jobbs

Banned
Pssst it's not sexy attire on its own that is the problem... Some people completely miss the point.

Sex and sexulity are not in and of themselves a problem and they in themselves are not marginalising. It's the context.

I'm quite certain there are many seeing as the whole profession of erotic stripping was largely evolved by early adopters of the woman's severance movement, and seeing as we both have access to a computer terminal and can type, it'd probably be best if you did your own googling eh?
I just thought it was an amusing example to go with given that it didn't seem to have been a success. Given your obsession with "academic feminism", I had assumed that you would have known more examples off the top of your head compared to a layman like me, but I guess not. I did not mean to offend you.

EDIT: I didn't realize expressing mere curiosity about something that sounded interesting was such a no-no. Silly old reactionary me.

Betty

Banned
Complaining about the existance of a thread is not the smartest thing to do, I think.

And yes, Quiet was really that ridiculous and deserves every criticism.

So where's the thread on the ridiculousness of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3?

Isn't that more important now that MGSV has come and gone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Doesn't that describe a ton of games?

I mean if someone walked in during one of the sex scenes in Witcher 3 or Mass Effect 2 I'd be embarrassed but there's nothing wrong with them.

Dr.Acular said:

How do you know they're not making the comments at Snake, who's also standing there in the shower?

Dare

Banned
Pssst it's not sexy attire on its own that is the problem... Some people completely miss the point.

Sex and sexulity are not in and of themselves a problem and they in themselves are not marginalising. It's the context.

The context here is a 20-page thread of people being outraged that there was fanservice in an MGS game and some weirdo asking me for specific strip club titles that are owned by Feminists because if I can't come up with them off the top of my head then clearly I must not be an academic.

This is the type of lowlife demographic that reactionary fear mongering appeals to. No one else can come up with this stuff or consume it.

Personally, I find it's on the level of this type of thing: PIV IS ALWAYS RAPE https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/piv-is-always-rape-ok/

It's Fox news level trash media at this point, where the people who're speaking use the words but don't know their meanings.

Appropriating concepts like objectification and agency and then applying them to characters intentionally designed to be lacking them just blows me away with the complete lack of critical analysis involved.

We might as well be talking about stoning a person that refused to consume the Eucharist at mass because they're a sinner!

MGS is entertainment media, and art, you can call it distasteful, but appropriating it into some menace against Feminism just isn't going to take hold outside of a few acute extremist microcosms like this thread.

Jobbs

Banned
The context here is a 20-page thread of people being outraged that there was fanservice in an MGS game and some weirdo asking me for specific strip club titles that are owned by Feminists because if I can't come up with them off the top of my head then clearly I'm not an academic.

This is the type of lowlife demographic that reactionary fear mongering appeals to. No one else can come up with this stuff or consume it.

Personally, I find it's on the level of this type of thing: PIV IS ALWAYS RAPE https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/piv-is-always-rape-ok/

It's Fox news level trash media at this point, where the people who're speaking use the words but don't know their meanings.

Appropriating concepts like objectification and agency and then applying them to characters intentionally designed to be lacking them just blows me away with the complete lack of critical analysis involved.

We might as well be talking about stoning a person that refused to consume the Eucharist at mass because they're a sinner!

I don't care about the baggage, all I know is that in my life of playing games, when considering mainstream high budget games, MGS5 is probably one of the most offensive games I've ever played (there's all kinds of worse stuff out there which is why I qualified "among big budget mainstream games"). I could be missing or forgetting something, but right now nothing else springs to mind. The game is gross.

Dare

Banned
I don't care about the baggage, all I know is that in my life of playing games, when considering mainstream high budget games, MGS5 is probably one of the most offensive games I've ever played (there's all kinds of worse stuff out there which is why I qualified "among big budget mainstream games"). I could be missing or forgetting something, but right now nothing else springs to mind. The game is gross.

You need to go outside and deal with real issues if video games offend you.

There are women out there that need real charity and real concern and have real issues that you can take offense to.

MGS and video games really really shouldn't be one of them.

There are women out there that need real charity and real concern and have real issues that you can take offense to.

While I'm seeing very little genuine outrage in this thread about Quiet's depiction in MGS5, I don't see why the two acts need to be mutually exclusive. You can tackle issues pertaining feminism while discussing why you may or may not like the depiction of a fictional character. And partaking in the discussion is always optional.

neoism

nah loved her... used her once i got her as a buddy for the rest of the game...used her default outfit the whole time...

Jobbs

Banned

I can multitask. I can care about many things at once, even if some of them are more important than others. I have two young nieces that I am close with, both gamers, and I care about the world they grow up in, including the media environment which over time is internalized by them and can be influential in their development.

If you don't think this type of stuff in games affects the psyche and self esteem of female gamers, then do this thought experiment: Imagine if, heaven fucking forbid, every game was like MGS5. How would this affect the development and self esteem of a girl who grew up playing games? Would it impact her self esteem at all?

I'd argue strongly that it would. So why should we accept it here and there, or to some degree or another? Why shouldn't we ask that more games are inclusive and don't marginalize or demean anyone? It's a free society and developers can make disgusting shit like Quiet if they want to, but we are free to shame them for it as well.

Betty

Banned

Nothing else springs to mind eh?

SelfishSilentDachshund.gif

Nothing at all?

Zip?

tumblr_njp2b8efk01rtqr31o1_250.gif

This is absolutely the grossest ever right?

tumblr_nva28rau6W1rhsvb1o1_400.jpg

Jobbs

Banned

I qualified my statement, twice, carefully, with "among mainstream big budget titles". Mid-budget title releasing only in japan doesn't qualify as mainstream, nor does "Rapelay" which I haven't even heard of and I'm fairly confident I won't see it on the shelf at Best Buy.

For the record, DOAX is repulsive.

This guy man. Wow. I think I'm going to save this post as an example from now on as to how ridiculous society is right now. Offended because a game would dare show something titillating to its core demographic. Mah dude, you see each Quiet cutscene once and you don't even have to use her as a buddy. Offended at a little T&A though.

Oberon

Banned

SelfishSilentDachshund.gif

Nothing at all?

Zip?

tumblr_njp2b8efk01rtqr31o1_250.gif

This is absolutely the grossest ever right?

tumblr_nva28rau6W1rhsvb1o1_400.jpg

I don't get this argument. Those two examples are less bad than Quiet because they don't beat around the bush. You know what you're getting from those games, and they don't expect you to care or take the character in some way seriously, or try to justify the lewdness

edit: I don' see quiet as "the most offensive thing ever", but I was expecting better from Kojima

Top Bottom