• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"XENOVERSE" trademarked in Europe - Dragon Ball Xenoverse sequel incoming?

tAyyrgi.png

Saw this while pissing around in the EU trademark database. Was filed December 29th, 2015.

Not surprised that we're getting another Xenoverse, honestly. The first one was pretty fun and had a lot of building blocks for it.

I imagine we're gonna see at the very least the newly revealed Time Patrol Goten from DB Heroes. Same with Super Saiyan 4 Gohan + Broly.

I'd also like to see a more in depth customization system (let me pick Super Buu sized Majin, I don't want to be fat Buu dammit), and a few races added (animal people? Cell-styled androids? kais? who knows) and less grindy, RNG based mechanics. Getting the right pieces for a set in XV was a fucking pain.

rardk64

That would be pretty cool. The first one was a good game with some flaws, so hopefully they use this opportunity to improve upon what that game laid the foundation for.

I'm also personally hoping the local multiplayer improves a bit, as I miss how good it was back in the Budokai Tenkaichi games. I know local multiplayer isn't a big focus point these days, however...

Abriael

Banned
Considering that you don't need a new trademark for a new game of the same franchise, unless the title is changed, this does not indicate a new game.

It might certainly come, but this indicates nothing.

delSai

Xenoverse was a big surprise, i wouldn't say its better than some of the older games, but it had a lot of cool ideas and potential. A sequel could be so fucking good.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Incredibly awesome if true. And if so, please, please alter the MC's hairstyle when they go SS this time.

Anung

Un Rama
I really liked Xenoverse. It was a pleasant surprise and the most I've enjoyed the series since the Budokai games. Plenty of room for improvement in a sequel.

Better single player, customization and a deeper melee system and we'll be Gucci. Also make sure this shit is balanced this time. I'd do anything for a burst limit follow up with Xenoverse's character creation and a soundtrack on par with the budokai games. Shit, give me a DBZ capcom fighter too. Why hasn't that happened yet????

Slaythe

Really not surprised that it sold well. It was the first legitimately good Dragon Ball fighter since BT3.

"hey guys the sky is red !"

This is not an opinion, you are blatantly wrong.

The fighting in this game was an atrocious pile of shit.

Better single player, customization and a deeper melee system and we'll be Gucci. Also make sure this shit is balanced this time. I'd do anything for a burst limit follow up with Xenoverse's character creation and a soundtrack on par with the budokai games. Shit, give me a DBZ capcom fighter too. Why hasn't that happened yet????

Because Arksys would make it 4571 times better than capcom.

Now all we need is Arksys doing a console DBZ game.

would be nice if we got bruce faulconer's tracks in that game.

While I prefer most of the Japanese OST... Never say never. He openly stated a few months ago he'd like to return to working on Dragon Ball.

"hey guys the sky is red !"

This is not an opinion, you are blatantly wrong.

The fighting in this game was an atrocious pile of shit.
I liked the fighting, despite it being repetitive. It felt more satisfying to me than either Raging Blast games, UT, or BoZ. Also, an opinion, especially one like mine, can't be objectively wrong

Slaythe

While I prefer most of the Japanese OST... Never say never. He openly stated a few months ago he'd like to return to working on Dragon Ball.

I liked the fighting, despite it being repetitive. It felt more satisfying to me than either Raging Blast games, UT, or BoZ. Also, an opinion, especially one like mine, can't be objectively wrong

I'm sorry if I came off as a douche. But I can prove, that objectively, this is a piece of shit. Fighting wise. You can enjoy the game for other reasons.

These are points that you can not deny, that's what I call objective.

So let's see.

- The roster is not balanced at all, we are not talking slight advantages like old school games. We are talking about characters being virtually useless against the more powerful characters. Super Saiyan god Goku can kill Yamcha in 3 attacks. This isn't something you want in a fighting game. It's shit. Let's not mention that 90% of the characters are useless against your created character (or other player's) once he is maxed out. Which means everybody online has the same crappy combo that is race based. All the unique movesets go to waste. You can't use krilin online. It's suicide.

- The full 3D, horrid camera control, and terrible lock on makes it horrible to connect hits on enemies.

- Spamming small fireballs prevents ANYBODY from ever reaching you, cpu or players.

- You can use items online, meaning if you use a potion at last second, it's a draw. It's impossible to win in this game, online, against somebody that isn't fair.

- This shit uses LEVELS, and has no way to fight without levels. That means if you want to just plug it in and "have fun", you can't, because if you didn't spend 100 hours to grind the shit out of the game, you will get destroyed online by all the try hards.

- Super Saiyan spam fest, this is unacceptable. Beyond broken. You can spam your special attacks almost forever if you have enough KI (and you can design your own character so of course cheaters do).

- It has no proper Local VS. It has a shitty VS mode where you can only fight in one arena with a bad camera angle.

Yuck.

Horrid fighter. Doesn't mean it's a bad game (I personally don't think it's very good). And doesn't mean you can't love it !

But I can, in no way, let you say this is a good fighter. Because that's a lie.

Xenoverse was a blast to play and I'd love a sequel with a bigger roster.

With Movies and DBHeroes the first game missed out many characters.

Heroes
Villains

Those links show all the forms and characters they could potentially add.

- Spamming small fireballs prevents ANYBODY from ever reaching you, cpu or players.

IIRC you can just fly directly up to someone using basic ki blasts and your char will just kinda toss them out of the way, unless that's not what you're talking about.

Loved this game, would like to see where they go with the sequel. Hopefully it will take inspiration from Super's upcoming new content instead of the wacky shit from Heroes.

Malyse

How about more custom everything? Can we agree on that as our demand? And better RNG. At least double the drop rate.

To me XV is pretty much the definitive Dragon Ball experience I want to have. Let's got all the way back to dragon ball, hit all the movies, slide to Z and through GT and bounce back for Super. I'll play a 100 hour Dragon Ball game.

Perhaps I missed something but coming to this game from Budokai Tenkachi 2/3, the fighting felt terrible to me.

You didn't miss a thing; the game was really that terrible, (well not completely terrible, rather, mediocre). Still, I'm glad it sold well enough to warrant a sequel. Hopefully, it'll add some much needed improvements.

How about more custom everything? Can we agree on that as our demand? And better RNG. At least double the drop rate.

To me XV is pretty much the definitive Dragon Ball experience I want to have. Let's got all the way back to dragon ball, hit all the movies, slide to Z and through GT and bounce back for Super. I'll play a 100 hour Dragon Ball game.

Yup

Give me DBZ-DBS as the first half of the game, Once Universe 6 arc is done give me a series of fights for GT and Movies and DB and after that open up some Dragonball Heroes missions that give me all the notable transformations and exclusive characters from that.

World Tournament from Budokai series should return too. Really PvP could die in a fire for all I care, I wouldn't mind Co-Op but they are not going to be making a street fighter contender here.

Stop splitting GT characters just make them a skin. No character should get a separate roster entry.

Lots of unlockable stuff like costumes for characters and CaC gear.

Seiniyta

I definitly had issues wiht the gameplay, but I still enjoyed it.

However, the game was really really really ugly so I hope the game next time looks passable. The PS2 games looked better >.> (resolution aside)

The main thing I'd want from a sequel would be the RNG either toned down or removed completely. For example, if there was a mission where you have to fight all the Ginyu Force one after another, give me like a bronze drop for beating them under 5 minutes, a silver drop for beating them under 4, a gold for under 3, and for beating them under 2 minutes you get to fight Frieza at the end, who will give you a further unlock if you beat him.

That was the one thing that I hated about Xenoverse. You basically had RNG tied behind RNG. If you fulfil the conditions to unlock the extra secret part of the mission, where it says Warning! if I remember correctly, you have to hope it actually triggers that, and then on the off chance that you do get to play that bit you then need to pray that it actually gives you the drop.

Mory Dunz

Xenoverse did over 2 million WW while only doing like 100-200k total in japan right?

DBZ might essentially be a western franchise at this point. In terms of sales.

I definitly had issues wiht the gameplay, but I still enjoyed it.

However, the game was really really really ugly so I hope the game next time looks passable. The PS2 games looked better >.> (resolution aside)

They really, really didn't

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 HD Emulator (I think 4k downsampled to 1080p)
Q47qLBF.jpg

Xenoverse 4k Downsampled to 1080p
flasNLV.jpg

Lagamorph

My wishlist for a Xenoverse sequel,

• SS3, SS4, SSG and SSGSS transformations for player Saiyan characters
  • Player character fusions
  • Kai race
  • Cell race
  • Voiced player characters that interact with the Dragonball cast more
  • Superior Bruce Faulconer soundtrack
  • More to do in the hub world, or possibly a more open world rather than a small hub city

Xenoverse is by far my favourite DBZ game ever, even compared to the Budokai series. The combat was on-par with the Ultimate Ninja Storm series. It's hard for me to pick really if Ninja Storm 3 or Xenoverse was the best fighter of the gen really. Xenoverse at the very least was my 2015 GOTY.

But I can, in no way, let you say this is a good fighter. Because that's a lie.
I'll take Xenoverse over a slow, clunky, stupidly over the top complicated combos back and forth fest like Street Fighter any day.

I'll take Xenoverse over a slow, clunky, stupidly over the top complicated combos back and forth fest like Street Fighter any day.

Sure, But that's all personal. Objectively as a fighting game it's bad. However it isn't trying to be at EVO it's intention is to be a fun, fast beat em up not a Street Fighter challenger.

Those games are not "stupidly complicated" they are expertly tuned to offer the best competitive match ups.

I think it's important to make the distinction. Saying it's the best fighter of last gen is an insane statement because it's barely even a fighting game.

I sits in it's own category with most of the other DBZ games.

Mortemis

Banned
I really hope they don't just bust out a sequel incredibly fast and put some time and effort into it. Xenoverse is what a lot of people have been looking for in a DBZ game, but it just has too many flaws. They can really step up their game, and I hope they take the time to do it.

Regarding fighting, I'm not really looking for a top notch fighting game since I'm not too into 3D fighters, but they can definitely step that up. PvP is straight shit. I'd rather spend hours hoping for a shitty item to drop than bother with that, and that's too bad. They can do better.

They really, really didn't

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 HD Emulator (I think 4k downsampled to 1080p)

Xenoverse 4k Downsampled to 1080p

While that post was hyperbolic, the game is most definitely not a looker. I just played the new Naruto demo and it shits on xenoverse from a mountain.

Lagamorph

Sure, But that's all personal. Objectively as a fighting game it's bad. However it isn't trying to be at EVO it's intention is to be a fun, fast beat em up not a Street Fighter challenger.

Those games are not "stupidly complicated" they are expertly tuned to offer the best competitive match ups.

I think it's important to make the distinction. Saying it's the best fighter of last gen is an insane statement because it's barely even a fighting game.

I sits in it's own category with most of the other DBZ games.

I wouldn't call this,
street_fighter_4_strapya_moves.jpeg

'expertly tuned'. I'd call it stupidly overcomplicated.

Malyse

My wishlist for a Xenoverse sequel,

• SS3, SS4, SSG and SSGSS transformations for player Saiyan characters
  • Player character fusions
  • Kai race
  • Cell race
  • Voiced player characters that interact with the Dragonball cast more
  • Superior Bruce Faulconer soundtrack
  • More to do in the hub world, or possibly a more open world rather than a small hub city

Xenoverse is by far my favourite DBZ game ever, even compared to the Budokai series. The combat was on-par with the Ultimate Ninja Storm series. It's hard for me to pick really if Ninja Storm 3 or Xenoverse was the best fighter of the gen really. Xenoverse at the very least was my 2015 GOTY.

Yup! UNS is the definitive Naruto game and XV is definitive Dragon Ball. Now I just need someone to give me One Piece and I am set.

Considering that you don't need a new trademark for a new game of the same franchise, unless the title is changed, this does not indicate a new game.

It might certainly come, but this indicates nothing.

The first informed, sensible reply gets ignored. Figures.

Revven

I really hope they don't just bust out a sequel incredibly fast and put some time and effort into it. Xenoverse is what a lot of people have been looking for in a DBZ game, but it just has too many flaws. They can really step up their game, and I hope they take the time to do it.

Regarding fighting, I'm not really looking for a top notch fighting game since I'm not too into 3D fighters, but they can definitely step that up. PvP is straight shit. I'd rather spend hours hoping for a shitty item to drop than bother with that, and that's too bad. They can do better.

Funny thing is, as much as I liked online versus in previous DBZ games I pretty much agree with this. I had more fun trying to grind out getting a rare move or outfit piece than I did playing the PvP and that's really down to three major problems with the game:

1) The netcode was utter shit for PvP, even when they tried to address it they made it worse. It was at least tolerable for co-op but it was even noticeably bad there if you were paired up with people with red or yellow bars.

2) The imbalance of custom characters vs original characters and while it is now possible to ask if the other person would like to use original characters that "chat button" came far too late for me to actually become invested in PvP. This also includes the overall imbalance of many ultimate and super moves early on before they went and patched them (but patching them simply made them useless in co-op really lol). Oh and the level cap being raised to 99 killed any interest I had in PvP.

3) 3 minute time limit and lack of customizing lobbies in general.

All of these are things they can fix in a sequel on top of adding onto the combat that is already there (and, well, improving it too).

But I don't think a Xenoverse sequel will come this soon, it's definitely a 2017 game unless it comes late 2016. They have Naruto filling the spot DBZ released last year. Not to mention, it's also possible for Bamco to re-release Tenkaichi 2, 3, and DBZ Infinite World via PS2 emulation on PS4 to hold everybody over (there's definitely demand for them). So, I've no doubt in my mind if there's anything 2016 for DBZ it's re-releases and probably another 3DS game (or maybe there's a different developer working on another DBZ game for consoles -- alternating devs kinda like what other annual games do).

I'll be kind of miffed if XV2 doesn't get two years of dev like XV1 did. XV2 really needs time in the oven to be a proper and well made sequel that rids of all of XV1's flaws and adds onto the good that's already there. Oh and it needs to be two years so they can cover Super's material as well.

Top Bottom