• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"XENOVERSE" trademarked in Europe - Dragon Ball Xenoverse sequel incoming?

Chille

The sequel better have a side campaign in which you fight with Demon Lord Dumpling, call it the lost adventures of Dumpling

Piers

Xenoverse can actually be a technical fighter — just not in the traditional sense of doing difficult combos. Characters outside of your own hero do have intricacies that lend to certain strengths and weaknesses. (The most obvious one I can think of is that Future Trunks has various setups for his ultimate, something the hero can't do)

Critics and fans alike dismissed it largely because you can just rush in and mash buttons/spam skills and still do the job in story missions. But not against savvy players.

I wouldn't call this,
street_fighter_4_strapya_moves.jpeg

'expertly tuned'. I'd call it stupidly overcomplicated.

Well then you would be wrong. I mean that isn't even the complicated part of SF4 for one that's just a button input for a special move. It's not FADC or anything like that.

I mean I'm not even massively qualified to speak on the subject but SF4 is tuned for balance which is something that can't be said for Xenoverse in the slightest, the game doesn't even pretend to be balanced.

Here's the thing I think you're missing. Fighting games have multiple layers to them. They have the dumb pick up and play which is tailored to button mashers. Then they have the enthusiast level, Mechanics and Combos intended for those willing to invest time to learn them, A slight degree of complexity is involved here but it is with any game. Then you have the pro level. Balance is the key here. Everything is built around strategy and and the characters themselves being balanced in relation to each other.

This isn't needlessly complicated it's seperating the wheat from the chaff, It's adding various levels of skill to a game. Xenoverse essentially stops at the button masher stage. It is to fighting games what Crash Team Racing is to racing games.

Plenty of games exist with this multiple level of complexity system and some exist just on one level.

Some examples.

Souls games exist almost entirely on the enthusiast level. They punish people unfamiliar with the mechanics and force people to learn the hard way.

Halo exists on multiple levels. You can pick it up and so long as you can aim you can compete. However those who learn the mechanics, the maps and weapons spawns etc elevate the game to something above just shooting things into something fit for a competitive environment.

Call of Duty is something that primarily sits at the pick up and play level it rewards accuracy above everything else. Long term invested players are usually little better than anyone else. Pro's do sit markedly above others but the skill gap is much less than something like Counter Strike.

It's not an uncommon thing and it's evident in virtually every game, even thing's like chess.

Fighting games are not needlessly over complicated they are built with multiple levels of players in mind and the ones who stick around are the enthusiast and the pro's so the are the forefront of the developers intentions. If you have issues and find something like SF4 complicated then it's because you're not approaching it the right way or with the right mindset or goals.

Xenoverse isn't intended to be a long standing fighting game it's goal is to cash in on hype, deliver a good experience for the players. Focus on making the game entertaining for people to do a run through the story and get people ready for a sequel. It's a fighter only because the source material all but demands it. Calling it the best fighter isn't even a valid statement really. It holds no similarities to actual fighting games. It's shallow and unbalanced and focuses primarily on it's story. It's good and I'm a fan of it don't get me wrong but ultimately it's wrong to compare it to actual fighting games.

bman94

If they do make a sequel I wonder how would they handle the story aspect. I'd welcome more what if scenarios in the vain of Dragon Ball Heroes with characters that never existed like Adult Gotenks or SS3 Gohan. Also the combat system needs, work. Like serious work.

Vex_

Banned
The only major issue I had with the game was the online play. There is an unavoidable lag that makes certain infinites/resets impossible online.

Such as this:

HumanMale
---------
Req: 2 stamina

Off of a knockback XX instant teleport, (to stop opponent from using evade to break a combo)

L, L, L, h, h, XX step dash (forward), then repeat until dead

That combo is literally impossible online. I have tested this with someone in the same state as me on one of the best ISPs in our area and he would magically drop out of it every time.

I went over his house, and it only dropped if I messed up my step dash reset.

They need to redo the netcode period. To many desyncing bugs resulting in unplayable matches until the timer runs out (or one player being able to attack another, but the othersees them in the wrong location).

I have up on the game, but I had fun with it using the less efficient combos. It just sucked knowing that I had to sort of limit myself to lagproof combos to win.

J_Viper

Drop RNG, improve AI, tighten up the combat, and I'm in Day 1.

Also, put a little effort into the voice acting and localization this time, come on.

Forkball

I wouldn't call this,
street_fighter_4_strapya_moves.jpeg

'expertly tuned'. I'd call it stupidly overcomplicated.

tumblr_ly5opymBsO1qa9jn1o2_250.gif

I loved Xenoverse. I mean it had so many glaring flaws, but it was so fun to play and it was a great DBZ fanservice game. After decades of putting out the same type of DBZ games, they offered us something that was both familiar and new. Creating your own character was a gimmick that gave the game a lot of appeal. I'm excited for a Xenoverse 2 (please let us actually access the PC servers the first few days this time though).

Nordicus

Xenoverse can actually be a technical fighter — just not in the traditional sense of doing difficult combos. Characters outside of your own hero do have intricacies that lend to certain strengths and weaknesses. (The most obvious one I can think of is that Future Trunks has various setups for his ultimate, something the hero can't do)
I like Nappa, personally. He's tanky, has a fast, damaging and long-reaching moveset with combo capability, energy volley is great for quick, disruptive harassment, Bomber DX is kinda tough to dodge and can easily trap people who've been slammed to the ground, and Arm Crash eats panis Ultis for breakfast.

His only weakness is that his ulti isn't very great, and the evasive skill is rather bad against certain moves, but those are hardly an issue thanks to how well he can keep the pressure up against custom characters.

bman94

OK, an 8 button input for one move isn't overly complicated. Sure.

It's completely fluid however. It's 8 movements that go really fast and can be quickly adapted too. There are stupid difficult characters to use in Street Fighter but those you listed was like industry standard fighting game commands. The only 2D fighting games I can think of that don't use those style of commands are Mortal Kombat and Smash Bros.

Cirruss

I don't play fighting games that much, but it really is not as complicated as you are making it look.

The 8 button combination you are referring to, in reality it is just doing 3 things.

All it is doing is moving the stick from the 6'Oclock position to the 3'Oclock position twice and then hitting Punch and Kick together. So essentially it is 2 quarter circles anti-clockwise (or clockwise if you standing on the opposite side of the screen) and then 2 buttons together.

Sure when you write out all the inputs it has to hit in order to do a quarter circle motion it looks stupidly complicated, but in reality all it is, is a simple rotation.

Neoxon

It really isn't. With the exception of charge characters, the motions are fluid. And even for charge characters, just hold back, then push forward & hit the button (or down then up).

CryptiK

I just wish we could have another game like Super DB or Budokai. Something that could be competitive.(And if you all havent heard of Ultra DBZ you should check it out.)

Zelias

Banned
If a new Xenoverse is coming, my main hopes are:

* More content. Xenoverse already establishes GT as an alternate timeline so no reason to not have more non-canon stuff, especially the crazy fanservice stuff DB Heroes gets.
* More customization. You should be able to dye any outfit or accessory. Cell race would be cool. Option for a non-fat Male Buu would be nice too.
* Better balance and netcode.
* Just a heap more polish. XV was very rough around the edges with things like localization and voice acting at times.

Not even gonna touch the fighting game argument, lol

I loved the first one so this for me would be day one.

I like the lists of new stuff people have made but I have one small change I would love. Let me select and level up more than one of my characters. I really wanted to be able to set up my team and take the story on with a few of them.

Did we ever get final sales numbers?

Nudull

Banned
- Playable Androids/Bio-Androids
- SSJ3, Super Namek and Final/Perfect Forms for custom characters
- Create-Your-Own Super/Ultimate Moves
- Improved online modes
- Improved and expanded character customization
- Have the story not just be a lazy repeat of the first game

All I ask for, NB.

Just give it the production values of the Naruto games, get rid of the bullshit RNG, more races with more customization options, and balance the gameplay a bit more.

CryptiK

IMO don't completely get rid of the RNG. Because thats why a lot of people kept playing it. Just fix it imo up the drop rates etc.

Santar

I'm interested in this as I enjoyed the first game.
Would be nice if they added a more adventure type feel to the game instead of every quest just being a fight.
Excited to know more, hopefully it's not too far off either.

Tsunamo

About time we got a mention of it. Everyone figured it was coming, but we haven't really got anything yet, maybe we'll get a teaser and proper reveal leading up to E3 like with the original.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other timeline mishaps they come up with (there's so much more to explore than the original game covered in each arc) and if they include the new Super arc material.
Just give it the production values of the Naruto games, get rid of the bullshit RNG, more races with more customization options, and balance the gameplay a bit more.
From what I understand one of the DLC's included a master that basically made the RNG non-existent/a whole lot better so i'm assuming they're aware of it and would make it better in the sequel.

Takao

Banned
But I don't think a Xenoverse sequel will come this soon, it's definitely a 2017 game unless it comes late 2016. They have Naruto filling the spot DBZ released last year. Not to mention, it's also possible for Bamco to re-release Tenkaichi 2, 3, and DBZ Infinite World via PS2 emulation on PS4 to hold everybody over (there's definitely demand for them). So, I've no doubt in my mind if there's anything 2016 for DBZ it's re-releases and probably another 3DS game (or maybe there's a different developer working on another DBZ game for consoles -- alternating devs kinda like what other annual games do).

I'm not sure if/what we'll get this year. Naruto was delayed from a fall 2015 date, so I don't think that was a conscious decision to have it be 2016's Xenoverse equivalent. If they do re-releases, I imagine they'll do ports rather than just ISO dumps on PSN. Some of those games have issues with their soundtracks, and they can hit PS4/XB1/PC (at retail too) instead of just PS4 with native releases. If there's a 3DS game this year, it'll probably be another Ultimate Mission. I don't think Extreme Butouden did as well as they hoped it would. If they alternate studios, it'll probably be a followup to Battle of Z since Spike Chunsoft is busy with One Piece: Burning Blood. But who knows, maybe we get nothing this year. Maybe Zenkai Battle Royale finally gets a home port.

Xenoverse did over 2 million WW while only doing like 100-200k total in japan right?

DBZ might essentially be a western franchise at this point. In terms of sales.

For the home console games it's been like that for a very long time.

I thought Xenoverse was underrated, and that does deserve a sequel.

But there's something else I would like: a remake of the Legacy of Goku series, which should include Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'.

Xenoverse was a fun game, though it did have its problems as both an RPG and a fighting game. A lot more character customization and a LOT less grinding, plz.

Those games were awful.

The first game was absolute garbage, yes, as Team Four Star will attest with their recent (hilarious) playthrough.

But it's astonishing how Webfoot actually fixed pretty much every problem it had in the sequels (seriously, Legacy of Goku 2 overhauled almost everything, and Buu's Fury went even further). I think they actually made the best possible games they could with that kind of format. Though, still, Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury are products of their time, and very much based off the US dub, commissioned by Funimation before they really started upping their game as a localization studio. I doubt Bamco would ever permit a western studio to work on another Dragon Ball game ever again.

cHinzo

Xenoverse 2 would be cool. Servers will be dead again though, just like the first time and fuck those random drops. It's one thing to put RNG drops in a game (fine with that if it's reasonable), but tying the RNG drops to RNG events in a mission (you can meet all the requirements and some events still dont pop up) was just infuriating. I spent way too much time completing Vegito's outfit...

The combat was fun in the first part, but I liked the early stage combat more than during the latter part of the game, which was only a spamfest of specials. Would like some more balance between using Ki attacks and melee attacks.

Yaari

They would be silly not to make a sequel. The core is already there after all, and it sold very well.

Malyse

Xenoverse was a fun game, though it did have its problems as both an RPG and a fighting game. A lot more character customization and a LOT less grinding, plz.

The first game was absolute garbage, yes, as Team Four Star will attest with their recent (hilarious) playthrough.

But it's astonishing how Webfoot actually fixed pretty much every problem it had in the sequels (seriously, Legacy of Goku 2 overhauled almost everything, and Buu's Fury went even further). I think they actually made the best possible games they could with that kind of format. Though, still, Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury are products of their time, and very much based off the US dub, commissioned by Funimation before they really started upping their game as a localization studio. I doubt Bamco would ever permit a western studio to work on another Dragon Ball game ever again.

Being slightly better quality trash doesn't make it not trash.

Those games were awful.

Kalentan

Xenoverse 2 would be cool. Servers will be dead again though, just like the first time and fuck those random drops. It's one thing to put RNG drops in a game (fine with that if it's reasonable), but tying the RNG drops to RNG events in a mission (you can meet all the requirements and some events still dont pop up) was just infuriating. I spent way too much time completing Vegito's outfit...

The combat was fun in the first part, but I liked the early stage combat more than during the latter part of the game, which was only a spamfest of specials. Would like some more balance between using Ki attacks and melee attacks.

Servers dead? Not sure how it is on other platforms but on XBO it's still pretty active.

The server problems at launch were because they didn't expect there to be nearly as many people playing as there were, the game's success was a surprise.

Anyways, I really hope they go for a normal celshading style this time. Ni No Kuni 2 quality celshading with thicker black outlines than what Xenoverse 1 has would be gorgeous.

Still waiting for my BT3 sized roster that spans from DB-Z-Movies-GT-Super.BT3 was sooooo close. I also loved the attention to detail in BT3 where the moves from Goku (mid DBZ) had different attacks and specials from early & end of Z Goku.

-Massive BT3 sized roster
-Moves should look more cinematic like Boudkai 3 or even BT3
-More classes for CAF like Android, Kai's, Demons, Aliens, Animal people (since there is a Bear that is a throwback to DB in Super)
-Full blown cell shading. I hate how the modern DB games half ass the shading. Go full blown like Naruto

And that's all I really want.

Sick. Got Xenoverse back when it was on sale on PSN and loved it. With a little bit of fine tuning I think the game would be even better.

I just want them to dump all of the "What-If" characters like SSJ4 Gohan they created in Heroes in the game. I mean, why not? Let Xenoverse be a haven for them to go nuts and disregard what is and isn't canon. It's a video game, it's fine.

I'd buy the shit out of that. Gimme dat Dragonball AF.

xHiryu

Still havent purchased Xenoverse but I have played it a bit, the combat definitely needs to be touched up alongside with local multiplayer being better. Still waiting on a good sale for this game cause it looks like the DBZ game I wanted as a kid, maybe they'll use DB Super.

Yes give me more xenoverse. Shit like perfect kameha (and cell's badass as fuck line that goes with it) never stops feeling totally awesome.

Top Bottom