• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trading Card Game: Pokémon TCG: Generations expansion info and pics

Had to be very careful with that title. LOL

FRjKmNF.jpg

http://www.pokemon20.com/en-us/products.html#tcg/

POKÉMON TCG

Pokémon TCG fans can celebrate 20 years of Pokémon with the Pokémon TCG: Generations expansion Pokemon.com/20. This special expansion covers every stage of a Trainer’s journey, from the choice of a first partner Pokémon to the most elite of Trainer battles. Featuring Pikachu, Snorlax, Ninetales-EX, and Jolteon-EX, plus Mega Charizard-EX, Mega Blastoise-EX, and Mega Venusaur-EX, the Generations expansion will be available in February. Generations booster packs will be available within specially labeled and designed Pokémon TCG products released as part of the Pokémon 20th celebration, starting with the first Pokémon TCG: Mythical Pokémon Collection coming in late February. A total of 11 Mythical Pokémon Collections will be released throughout 2016, each containing two Generations booster packs. In addition, four Pokémon TCG: Red & Blue Collections focused on the original superstars of the Pokémon world, each containing four Generations booster packs, will be released in 2016.

Pics of the boxes shown so far:

So far there's no sign of there being any reprints of classic cards, but who knows, they might happen.

MisterHero

aren't the classic TCG sets completely outclassed by newer sets?

It's be nice for collecting at least
no, no! it's too much money!

if classic cards do get reprinted in this set, they'll most likely be something like secret rares which they did once with the original Charizard line back in one of the D/P sets

I need all the pins

if classic cards do get reprinted in this set, they'll most likely be something like secret rares which they did once with the original Charizard line back in one of the D/P sets

They reprinted a few other cards too, like base set Electabuzz and Hitmonchan/Jungle Scyther... I miss Haymaker decks.

Kitoro

Anyone else get the Charizard set last week? Ended up getting an adorable Flareon EX card both physically and digitally, and it's a pretty formidable card, too!

I'm new to the Pokémon TCG Online service, and have a question about it... I'm more interested in collecting and playing digitally, so would it make more sense to just buy online codes off eBay for a couple bucks?

I'd like to collect the Generations sets, specifically, so I'm assuming I could buy the Charizard box codes for a few bucks each and register all of them to load up on booster packs?

Thanks!

ZeroX03

Banned
anyone on here play this? i'm surprised there's no OT for it - the game is super solid

Yeah I play a bit online and have been collecting the Generations promo stuff. There's an OT in Gaming Community that goes untouched I think.

Anyone else get the Charizard set last week? Ended up getting an adorable Flareon EX card both physically and digitally, and it's a pretty formidable card, too!

I'm new to the Pokémon TCG Online service, and have a question about it... I'm more interested in collecting and playing digitally, so would it make more sense to just buy online codes off eBay for a couple bucks?

I'd like to collect the Generations sets, specifically, so I'm assuming I could buy the Charizard box codes for a few bucks each and register all of them to load up on booster packs?

Thanks!

I got a bonus code in my Charizard box and a Mega Charizard EX in my digital packs. Was pretty happy, I've got part of a Charizard deck now. And yes, buying codes saves a huge amount of grinding. And you can trade those cards online. What you can get on Ebay or a code website for like $20-50 is so much more than something like Hearthstone.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yeah I play a bit online and have been collecting the Generations promo stuff. There's an OT in Gaming Community that goes untouched I think.

that's a shame, i find the game a lot more fun than Hearthstone and the infrastructure a lot more fleshed out than Magic iOS

PM me your in-game name if you wanna play sometime

When my brother told me about this set (he plays the TCG competitively), I was disappointed it wasn't updated reprints of older cards with some balance tweaks.

Seems like a wasted opportunity to bring some classic cards back with a power boost.

ash_ag

I also play TCGO, though mostly with Theme Decks. Standard metagame is a bit harder to get into if you don't spend time and money into finding the more useful cards. Still, it's very fun even with Theme Decks, and it's easy enough to get new ones every once in a while.

Gurrry

So are these going to be essentially reprints of gen 1 cards? If so, thats fucking awesome.

I play she shit out of TCGO and have been wanting to play with the cards I grew up with, so hopefully this will suffice!

If not though, ill just keep wrecking people with Dark Hammer :)

edit: never mind, just read the above posts and it sounds like they arent reprints. oh well, they still look cool!

jon bones

I also play TCGO, though mostly with Theme Decks. Standard metagame is a bit harder to get into if you don't spend time and money into finding the more useful cards. Still, it's very fun even with Theme Decks, and it's easy enough to get new ones every once in a while.

So are these going to be essentially reprints of gen 1 cards? If so, thats fucking awesome.

I play she shit out of TCGO and have been wanting to play with the cards I grew up with, so hopefully this will suffice!

If not though, ill just keep wrecking people with Dark Hammer :)

i'm about that theme deck life - dark hammer is too dope

but you can use a lot of the staple trainers found in them to make a decent standard deck... though you run into a lot of EX-heavy decks online

ZeroCDR

I've still got my insane binder of cards, up through the first 251 then I stopped. I did actually play too.

I would love to have a 3DS game, I tried the iPad one but it's way too time consuming to grind out cards for free.

BlakeofT

I've been getting one box for each mythical pokemon. So far my best pulls are Jolteon Ex and Sylveon EX full art, the card I wanted the most. The Mega Charizard would be sweet to get before the end of the year too.

When my brother told me about this set (he plays the TCG competitively), I was disappointed it wasn't updated reprints of older cards with some balance tweaks.

Seems like a wasted opportunity to bring some classic cards back with a power boost.

There's three cards in the set with ties to the original cards (Fossil Slowpoke with the effect changed from Trainer to Item cards, Imakuni which never released here, and X/Y Tauros with the Jungle Tauros artwork) but yeah, I would have loved to see some of the originals updated with the power creep in mind. Would have been great to have Hitmonchan and Scyther again.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is the Jirachi set already out?

It's a shame our local distributor hasn't picked up the Generations set yet. Importing the first two special sets from the US was way more expensive than I was planning.

There's three cards in the set with ties to the original cards (Fossil Slowpoke with the effect changed from Trainer to Item cards, Imakuni which never released here, and X/Y Tauros with the Jungle Tauros artwork) but yeah, I would have loved to see some of the originals updated with the power creep in mind. Would have been great to have Hitmonchan and Scyther again.

Imakuni is in this set?

Sweet, I might order that one card, specifically, just to have it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
i'm about that theme deck life - dark hammer is too dope

but you can use a lot of the staple trainers found in them to make a decent standard deck... though you run into a lot of EX-heavy decks online

This is why I eventually stopped playing TBH. The thrill of collecting cards was countered by the reality that I was just playing Theme because I was so sick of trying to play traditionally and scooping 60% of matches to "turn 1 Yvetal ex turn 2 Groudon ex Dragonite ex"

ZeroX03

Banned
Theme decks are all luck. Gets boring after a while. And grinding a decent deck with boosters which you can't trade is a time consuming. So much easier to drop a little bit of money on codes and trade from there. Check Reddit, you can get like a booster box equivalent of codes for like $10. As long as you're willing to pay a little and put in the effort to trade, it's the cheapest game to get competitive with. Or just build Hunter/Pally in Hearth.

jon bones

Theme decks are all luck. Gets boring after a while. And grinding a decent deck with boosters which you can't trade is a time consuming. So much easier to drop a little bit of money on codes and trade from there. Check Reddit, you can get like a booster box equivalent of codes for like $10.

good tip - i'm gonna do that this weekend. buy a bunch of pack codes & trade them for the individual cards i need to tighten up my deck

Top Bottom