• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

m0dus
(09-05-2006, 06:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Gek54

Hahah ok, then I guess you would find this more interesting?

Honestly Gek, you know better.
Faizal
Banned
(09-05-2006, 06:38 AM)
1.5 more hours to go? :D
Agent Icebeezy
Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
(09-05-2006, 06:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Wunderchu

that's the trailer of Forza 2 which was shown @ the Leipzig GC

If this game looks like that when I pick it up. I'm going to make love to the wheel that I drive it with.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(09-05-2006, 06:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Wunderchu

that's the trailer of Forza 2 which was shown @ the Leipzig GC

So why wouldn't the game look like that in motion? I mean this is next-gen. And didn't they say they were using in-game models?
Speevy
(09-05-2006, 06:42 AM)

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

So why wouldn't the game look like that in motion? I mean this is next-gen. And didn't they say they were using in-game models?

Why wouldn't the game look like that in motion? Because it's CG.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(09-05-2006, 06:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Speevy

Why wouldn't the game look like that in motion? Because it's CG.

But I'm saying. Didn't they say it was using in-game assets?
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(09-05-2006, 06:50 AM)

Yes, but why use "in game assets" CG if you game already looks like that?
m0dus
(09-05-2006, 06:51 AM)

There's some extra camera movements and post effects going on. It's also in the lighting. Hopefully, the new screenshots that will be going up will showcase something closer to this.
Speevy
(09-05-2006, 06:53 AM)
Did they really promise new screens in an hour? If so I'll stay up.
sangreal
(09-05-2006, 06:53 AM)

no
Gek54
(09-05-2006, 07:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Insertia

I bought this car in GT4, put it on a similiar track, and I swear it looks like the same game.

Seems GT4 has better tail lights.

Originally Posted by m0dus

Honestly Gek, you know better.

Nope I guess not, I see you cant damage control that one.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(09-05-2006, 07:00 AM)

Che said, "Tuesday morning." Probably when he gets into the office. I would not stay up.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(09-05-2006, 07:34 AM)
Where you going Che?

Don't ask me where I got it.
Kleegamefan
K. LEE GAIDEN
(09-05-2006, 07:38 AM)

Where you going Che?

Over to Japan to recruit artists and modelers with some talent....
Speevy
(09-05-2006, 07:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Kleegamefan

Well considering the critical success of Forza 1 and the fact that the racing genre is completely and utterly covered by Western developers...
Gek54
(09-05-2006, 07:52 AM)

They should have also hit up Australia instead of using cheap Indian and Philipino modelers.
Brashnir
(09-05-2006, 08:05 AM)

Where you going Che?

Che must be the tallest asian this side of Yao Ming to be looking out the rear window while driving...
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(09-05-2006, 08:21 AM)

Bah. Not worth it.
hgplayer1
(09-05-2006, 08:32 AM)
:lol @ people expecting screens to go up at 12am sharp!

Ive said it before Ill say it again, I did not have high expectations for the graphics of Forza. I know theyll be adequate but for those people expecting them to set a new standard in only their second game I dont know where your expectations came from.

If those screens are works in progress I would say thats about what I expected. hopefully the full package shines and stills cant do it justice but it wont matter that much to me.

I have to agree that PD have the better artists hands down. I was playing a little GT4 over the weekend racing it in B spec mode. there were times it felt like I was watching a race on TV.

I think Forza just needs a few revisions before it really starts to compete graphically.
chespace
It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
(09-05-2006, 09:52 AM)
Are you guys seriously staying up for this?

I'm going to get to work tomorrow morning, and then I'll write something up after I get myself a cup of espresso and do the daily crossword puzzle. :)

But seriously, those leaked screens are real. If you think they look awful or whatever, I'm not here to change your mind -- not much I can do about that. The haters will hate, I suppose. All this forum drama is pretty nuts.

Keep in mind that the game is far from finished and many of the graphical effects have yet to be stabilized in the build (HDR and various other car shaders). Sometimes you turn something on and it breaks other things. I dunno, there's a lot of weird code dependencies and complexities that I'm learning about game development and none it seems very easy.

Forza 2 will look really good when it's finished. Obviously, the game isn't finished right now. At this point, we'll probably keep releasing new assets going forward and hope folks like what they see and play in the months to come.

p.s. 3d grass exists but weren't in the screenshots. OMGWTF!!11
sangreal
(09-05-2006, 09:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Gek54

Seems GT4 has better tail lights.

atleast Forza's tail lights are better than PGR3's, which were TERRIBLE
megateto
(09-05-2006, 09:56 AM)

Originally Posted by chespace

But seriously, those leaked screens are real. If you think they look awful or whatever, I'm not here to change your mind -- not much I can do about that. The haters will hate, I suppose. All this forum drama is pretty nuts.

Thread name change ASAP.
Scottlarock
Banned
(09-05-2006, 09:56 AM)

I'm going to get to work tomorrow morning, and then I'll write something up after I get myself a cup of espresso and do the daily crossword puzzle. :)

Keep in mind that the game is far from finished and many of the graphical effects have yet to be stabilized in the build (HDR and various other car shaders). Sometimes you turn something on and it breaks other things. I dunno, there's a lot of weird code dependencies and complexities that I'm learning about game development and none it seems very easy.

Forza 2 will look really good when it's finished. Obviously, the game isn't finished right now. At this point, we'll probably keep releasing new assets going forward and hope folks like what they see and play in the months to come.

Thanks, looks great to me, *hopes for alot of customizations
sangreal
(09-05-2006, 09:58 AM)

so how about a video..?

will we atleast get new screens along with your post, or are we stuck with the leaked ones?

pick a more interesting track for screens next time
Amir0x
Banned
(09-05-2006, 10:12 AM)

THANK you for finally saying it's real :lol

Like I said at the start until now, I think it looks pretty nice - especially when you consider it's gonna run in true 720p at 60fps, that's what racing games truly need for next-gen. One of the 360 killer apps for me when i buy this system, and that ain't no ass kissin' neither.
PipBoy
Banned
(09-05-2006, 10:15 AM)
che: I think you should hire a company to take screenshots. Face it, the only guys who know how to take good screenshots at Microsoft work for Bungie.
chespace
(09-05-2006, 10:21 AM)
Again, keep in mind that the game is far from finished and many of the graphical effects missing in these screenshots have yet to be stabilized in the build (HDR and various other car shaders). If you're going to nitpick the visual minutae of a game, wouldn't it make more sense to do so with something that's not a work-in-progress?

Anyway, it's GAF so I'm not expecting much more. Hate away, haters!
sangreal
(09-05-2006, 10:26 AM)

Again, keep in mind that the game is far from finished and many of the graphical effects missing in these screenshots have yet to be stabilized in the build (HDR and various other car shaders). If you're going to nitpick the visual minutae of a game, wouldn't it make more sense to do so with something that's not a work-in-progress?

I don't know why you felt the need to reiterate this since your last post (wtf do you mean by stabilized anyway?) but to be fair it is not only GAF that has hated on the screens. They seem to be universally hated
alterego
(09-05-2006, 10:31 AM)

I think a lot of the groundwork is in place (car models are very good).

I think the main criticisms were the lighting and environment textures which are the things you've mentioned will be improved so I'm sure it'll look fine in the end (especially whizzing by at 60fps).

I wouldn't read to much into the forum drama but the PR could have been handled better.

When do you think this will ship Che?
DMczaf
After this thread, I understand the need for bullshots. The internet isn't ready for work-in-progress screens!
elostyle
Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Hmm... so 2007 then?
Wollan
Banned
(09-05-2006, 10:37 AM)

Originally Posted by DMczaf

After this thread, I understand the need for bullshots. The internet isn't ready for work-in-progress screens!

There are games out there that do and show alot more that's getting much more heat but that's another discussion.
Tieno
(09-05-2006, 10:40 AM)

Originally Posted by DMczaf

After this thread? Too Human convinced me on that already. Threads like this are a convincing argument for bullshots and behind-the-scenes showings of games at E3. Though to be fair, the releasing of Forza 2 CGI footage isn't a smart thing either if the first showing of the game can't back it up. Either way, there's still a lot of time.
chespace
(09-05-2006, 10:41 AM)

Originally Posted by sangreal

I don't know why you felt the need to reiterate this since your last post (wtf do you mean by stabilized anyway?) but to be fair it is not only GAF that has hated on the screens. They seem to be universally hated

wtf do you mean by wtf do i mean. :) what i mean is that all of these graphical effects are coded individually in the engine, and that all the code is inter-dependent in the build -- so when you drop in a new feature and flip the switch, you might end up inadvertently borking other pieces of the build. that's what i mean by instability. it's just a standard ongoing process that eventually gets ironed out.

as for the hate... well, people have a right to hate if they want. all we at turn 10 can hope for is that as the floodgates open and you get more and more looks at the game, not to mention the press getting their hands on it soon, that everyone will realize that not only do the graphics not suck, but that the game feels like the next-gen driving sim everybody has been waiting for on 360.
Agent Icebeezy
Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
(09-05-2006, 10:42 AM)

wtf do you mean by wtf do i mean. :) what i mean is that all of these graphical effects are coded individually in the engine, and that all the code is inter-dependent in the build -- so when you drop in a new feature and flip the switch, you might end up inadvertently borking other pieces of the build. that's what i mean by instability. it's just a standard ongoing process that eventually gets ironed out.

as for the hate... well, people have a right to hate if they want. all we at turn 10 can hope for is that as the floodgates open and you get more and more looks at the game, not to mention the press getting their hands on it soon, that everyone will realize that not only do the graphics not suck, but that the game feels like the next-gen driving sim everybody has been waiting for on 360.

Holiday 2006 still on?
My Arms Your Hearse
Banned
(09-05-2006, 10:44 AM)
It's hard to believe you're still taking thinly veiled pot-shots PGR3 considering these screens, even if early. Racing sims are one of the few genres where I'm actually a graphics whore. It nees to feel and look like the next-gen racer everyone is waiting for...
sangreal
(09-05-2006, 10:45 AM)

I knew what you meant actually, I just think its weird to use a word like stabilized when talking about screenshots since they are released in a controlled manner (these were leaked, but I'm assuming they were officially given out?)

Well my post history reflects that I think the game looks ok already, I was just pointing out that it isn't just GAF thats nay-saying
BenjaminBirdie
(09-05-2006, 10:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Wollan

There are games out there that do and show alot more that's getting much more heat but that's another discussion.

Is it...a racing game where fundamental gameplay conceits can not in any way be gleaned from screenshots? There are tons of ways screenshots for other types of games can legitimately tell you something about the fundamentals of the game. This is, in my opinion, not one of those instances.

It's why I've enjoyed the videos they've released for the game, because they describe the features and enhancements to the game. I'll see what it looks like in-game at some point, but until it's closer to a finished product, I'm much more interested in how it plays.

A screenshot for, say, Resistance, regardless of the graphical state its in, can still tell you Fun Facts like: "Oh, there's like a zillion little crawly things on this level."

Apples and Oranges, Mr. W.
BenjaminBirdie
(09-05-2006, 10:47 AM)

Originally Posted by My Arms Your Hearse

It's hard to believe you're still taking thinly veiled pot-shots PGR3 considering these screens, even if early. Racing sims are one of the few genres where I'm actually a graphics whore. It nees to feel and look like the next-gen racer everyone is waiting for...

PGR3 is not a racing sim. Potshot exposure has failed.
chespace
(09-05-2006, 10:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Agent Icebeezy

Holiday 2006 still on?

Forza 2 will no longer ship in Holiday 2006 -- a new date will be given at X06. :)
pilonv1
(09-05-2006, 10:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Agent Icebeezy

Holiday 2006 still on?

Doesn't sound like it :(

Anyway if it's 60fps and plays well (online included) I'll be happy.
BenjaminBirdie
(09-05-2006, 10:49 AM)

Forza 2 will no longer ship in Holiday 2006 -- a new date will be given at X06. :)

November 13, 2006 confirmed? (When does Hannukah start this year?)
sangreal
(09-05-2006, 10:50 AM)

winter 07 confirmed :(

I guess it pays to over-analyze lines like 'this winter' afterall
pilonv1
(09-05-2006, 10:51 AM)

So Viva Pinata, Crackdown and Gears carry the first party Christmas?
Amir0x
Banned
(09-05-2006, 10:51 AM)

Originally Posted by sangreal

winter 07 confirmed :(

March 2007
chespace
(09-05-2006, 10:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Amir0x

March 2007

Isn't March like the new November anyways?
Amir0x
Banned
(09-05-2006, 10:54 AM)

Isn't March like the new November anyways?

basically :D
TTP
Have a fun! Enjoy!

WTF with the green environment?!? Needs more background.

LOL @ the camera (WTF with the background again?!?!)

Another background. Blue this time. LOL this movie sucks!

This post is about complaining over work in progress shots
BenjaminBirdie

Originally Posted by Amir0x

March 2007

My Birthday Confirmed! The REAL Holiday 2007!

Leastways now I can save up for tha FF Wheel.
sangreal
(09-05-2006, 10:55 AM)

Originally Posted by TTP

WTF with the green environment?!? Needs more background.

LOL @ the camera (WTF with the background again?!?!)

Another background. Blue this time. LOL this movie sucks!

This post is about complaining over work in progress shots

:lol :lol