• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers |OT| Lightning Returns Online

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
My impressions from the Japanese version:
Final Fantasy Explorers. The game which was supposed to be (?) a marriage of the MH/PSO formula and the Final Fantasy franchise. A love letter to all FF fans wanting an action packed challenge where one could stand against the most memorable Eidolons/Summons/Guardian Forces/whatever.

And yet all we’ve got is a mediocre spiritual sequel to the DS Crystal Chronicle games. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked those games, but with the game coming out on a new platform I was expecting something more.

In reality the hub town feels like a copy paste from MH/Ragnarok Odyssey games, quest areas are empty and regular enemies lack variety and hardly ever present any challenge.

“But what about the Summons?”, you ask. Yes, battles with Summons are the high point of the game, but even they get boring after having to fight them XX times for different quests. After you clear the the story you unlock the “high difficulty” quests with stronger versions of all boss monsters, but more hp and addition of cheap, one hit kill attacks is the only difference I’ve noticed so far. Oh, I almost forgot… If you’re waiting for new bosses, prepare your wallet - each monster will probably cost 400 yen (current price for Gilgamesh, the first DLC summon).

Maybe multiplayer makes this game more enjoyable. I’ve played a good few hours of the demo with a few friends and, as usual, it felt much better than playing alone. Sadly I know only 2 people playing the full version after the demo made everyone else decide not to touch game.

Just to make things clear - I don’t hate this game. It has a few good ideas, tons of Jobs to choose from, option to make original abilities with different passive modifiers and enough fanservice (changing into Cloud/Squall etc. and using their limit breaks) to satisfy fans of the series looking for a MH/PSO-lite game. It even allows you to add regular monsters to your party after you get a rare drop from them.

All of the above is the main reason why I kept on playing after clearing the main story mode. The game isn’t bad enough to hate it, it just… Isn’t good enough to love it.

If you’re thinking about the purchase, my suggestion would be to try the demo and form your own opinion. It’s free!

Velcro Fly

I bought this game and I'm not sure my intentions for playing it. I'm normally not much of a multiplayer person. I think if I can have some fun playing as different classes and the combat is good I'll be fine just playing by myself.

I refuse to post in this topic due to Lightning being apart of the OT's name!

This game will probably end up in my backlog since I'm currently working on two other JRPGs and next tueday is JRPG TUESDAY!!!

Kouriozan

Messing with the jobs is what I feel will get me addicted to it. Can't wait for the EU release.
I'm glad we are getting all the DLC for free, too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I refuse to post in this topic due to Lightning being apart of the OT's name!

This game will probably end up in my backlog since I'm currently working on two other JRPGs and next tueday is JRPG TUESDAY!!!

It doesn't even make sense in the context of the game? lol

nikos

Glad to see an OT!

I couldn't get into Monster Hunter, but I did like Toukiden: Kiwami. Hoping I'll end up liking this. As long as the gameplay is fun, I'll enjoy it. Final Fantasy lore will definitely help. I thought there were only a handful of jobs, glad to see there are a lot more.

Looking forward to picking it up in the morning.

EDIT: Can anybody elaborate on the leveling system? From what I understand, you level gear, not your character. So can you freely change between all of those jobs and level gear for each?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I forgot to cancel my pre order and I was initially going to return it, but I somehow managed to convince a friend to suffer alongside me and pick up a copy. Should be here sometime tomorrow.

Packy

Credit to fernoca and Packy for what became the thread title. :p

First official GAF name drop. Woo-hoo!

I'm looking forward to playing this tomorrow. I love PSO and have always been fond of the Final Fantasy series. Hoping to have some fun with this. Now to start the final push to make sure some friends download it too!

This game so far is monhun lite and suuuuper repetitive. I wish monhun has a oress start to end quest button. Ill play it a bit more but so far not really enjoying it. The xombat is much faster than monhun. Picked black mage to keep my distance.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If you can't get into Monster Hunter, would this work for you?

Is it the same kind of structure as MH where you just run into the same zones again and again and again to find enemy spawns depending on some generic mission or is there more world building and connectedness to the experience? More Role Playing/Adventuring?

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking MH, it's just not for me-I've tried with 3 versions already.

If you can't get into Monster Hunter, would this work for you?

Is it the same kind of structure as MH where you just run into the same zones again and again and again to find enemy spawns depending on some generic mission or is there more world building and connectedness to the experience? More Role Playing/Adventuring?

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking MH, it's just not for me-I've tried with 3 versions already.

Id say maybe. Im forcing myself to play mh4 ti see when it hpoks me. 15 hrs in nope. This is the same style. Go to town get quest make weapon eat powerup embark compmete and repeat. I think combat is faster in this and has recognizable figures which may help your enjoyment.

Zareka

Man I'm so torn on this game. I like hunting games (at least Soul Sacrifice was good, LOVED Freedom Wars. Monster Hunter is decent) and when someone pointed this had an MMO party composition my eyes rolled into the back of my head in ecstasy as I realised I could be a dedicated healer in a hunting game! But in practice I don't have a solid group of people to play this with. Best situation I have 2 that I'd be playing with separately, maybe. Aaargh.

So this is 2D even on n3DS right?

Yea it is 2D on my New 3DS XL. Store had a copy a few days ago and I got it. The front of the case doesn't have that "Playable in 2D and 3D"thing but I still think they shouldve mentioned this on the back. the EU copies have a mention about it being 2D only on the back I believe.

fernoca

Man I'm so torn on this game. I like hunting games (at least Soul Sacrifice was good, LOVED Freedom Wars. Monster Hunter is decent) and when someone pointed this had an MMO party composition my eyes rolled into the back of my head in ecstasy as I realised I could be a dedicated healer in a hunting game! But in practice I don't have a solid group of people to play this with. Best situation I have 2 that I'd be playing with separately, maybe. Aaargh.
Hahaha! XD

watershed

Banned
If this was more story-driven, even with a multiplayer focus, I would probably get it. But it seems more like a pure hunting game which is a genre that has never quite hooked me. I guess I'll just wait for Fire Emblem and the slate of DQ games coming soonish(?).

Have fun all!

Moondrop

Banned
I'm actually hyped for this after watching some videos. The job system appears to have millions of possible builds; that's inherent depth and replay value. And when you consider you can augment (and rename!) your skills, that's a number of builds that requires scientific notation to express. The only concern I have is that the difficulty may be too low.

Nevertheless, I predict this will do better than expected- better than it did in Japan at any rate. With their love of Monster Hunter it makes sense this would be a disappointment. But I think there's a market for a portable MMO-lite over here.

Top Bottom