• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers |OT| Lightning Returns Online

RM8

This looks fun, but not $900 MXN fun :[ If I wait for a price drop online might be dead by then, though.

Fou-Lu

This game is looking to be not what I was hoping for. I held out hope that it would have more Crystal Chronicles (The Gamecube game is one of my favorite games of all time) than it seemed at first, but it just looks like a mediocre FF themed Monster Hunter.

This game is looking to be not what I was hoping for. I held out hope that it would have more Crystal Chronicles (The Gamecube game is one of my favorite games of all time) than it seemed at first, but it just looks like a mediocre FF themed Monster Hunter.

It still blows my mind that the original Crystal Chronicles has never been retooled and rereleased

Take out the damn thing you have to carry and you have an addictive little co op game

TsFQLTc.png
My heart skipped a beat .....
P10sTHs.jpg

*SIGHS*

Matticers

Seems like stores are either getting low stock or delayed shipments for this. Plus it seems like a pretty time consuming game so I don't mind buying a game like this digitally.

And it's up on the e-shop now. Currently downloading it.

How are everyone's impressions of this so far? Is it more like a traditional hunting game or more like the DS Crystal Chronicles games? From the footage I've seen I'm getting more of a CC vibe.

Seems like stores are either getting low stock or delayed shipments for this. Plus it seems like a pretty time consuming game so I don't mind buying a game like this digitally.

And it's up on the e-shop now. Currently downloading it.
Yeah I got a message from Amazon saying they have no idea when they will ship it. I might just buy it digitally.

Fandangox

There are key things I need to know:

- how much emphasis is there to fighting bosses vs fighting smaller enemies (I'm hoping for less Monster Hunter and more Phantasy Star)

- what are you grinding for? full gear drops? or materials for crafting? Do you level from XP in a traditional way?

- Does each job level independently?

- Does it have online matchmaking? Or play with Friends only?

It sounds like the general consensus is that it really is fun during multiplayer. I still don't know if I can forgive the painful ease of it and the repetitiveness though...

I'd like to know these things as well and how well they are executed. I Really don't know much about this game, but I love MH for its mechanics and how the game is pretty much entirely up on the player's skill to beat the monsters. How similar is the case here, is it easy, hard?

Kadin

I'd like to know these things as well and how well they are executed. I Really don't know much about this game, but I love MH for its mechanics and how the game is pretty much entirely up on the player's skill to beat the monsters. How similar is the case here, is it easy, hard?
I've only played a short while but I can answer some of these questions.

- Bosses vs small enemies seems dependent on the quest you're working on. The world has a lot of smaller enemies spread out and you'll come across larger bosses it seems if the quest dictates. I can't say this with 100% assurance but I have yet to see a boss walking around if the quest doesn't call for it.

- You're basically grinding for materials so you can then craft better gear, I have yet to see actual full pieces of gear drop (I'm level 18 atm).

- Each job it appears does level independently. I switched to Monk early on and it stopped leveling Freelancer which was the default class.

- It has online co-op where you can either create a room or search for one based on various parameters and then join. It works very quickly and easily from the few matches I've joined.

UGH.
Just got an email from Amazon that said my order isn't coming today and they don't know when it will.
Gonna have to cancel it and get it from a store.

nikos

EDIT: You can fool the game into thinking you have a circle pad pro. This will activate the nub for camera control.

Moondrop

Banned
The customization and mechanics are even better than I'd hoped at first pass. I've tried all the starting classes and abilities (yay no auto-save).

It's not just melee vs. ranged; there are mechanical differences in the auto-attacks between weapon classes. Claws hit differently than a staff; bow is different than a rod. And the non-magic active abilities are tied to the weapon classes, so for example a time mage will eventually be able to use all the bow skills initially available to the ranger.

Umibozu

EDIT: You can fool the game into thinking you have a circle pad pro. This will activate the nub for camera control.
You're aren't really fooling it. That's the purpose of the nub (and extra shoulder buttons), to act as a circle pad pro

Kadin

I didn't have to do anything on my N3DS - it just worked. Did you have to specifically do something to get the nub to work?

Another Amazon delayed order here. It sucks, but it sucks less since most of my buddies orders are also delayed. Only one person out of my group has it. I guess shipment really was small for this .

My local Target got 2 copies of the game. A friend and I bought them. From what I read other stores in the area received similar shipments.

I'm expecting PSO-lite with some Crystal Chronicles thrown in. I love grindfests, and I don't mind repetitive fetch quests. This is coming from someone who loves grinding in Diablo 3/PSO/MonHun.

I'm going in with low expectations, and hoping for the best. I loved PS0 on the DS despite all its flaws. Here's hoping for the best!

My local Target got 2 copies of the game. A friend and I bought them. From what I read other stores in the area received similar shipments.

I'm expecting PSO-lite with some Crystal Chronicles thrown in. I love grindfests, and I don't mind repetitive fetch quests. This is coming from someone who loves grinding in Diablo 3/PSO/MonHun.

I'm going in with low expectations, and hoping for the best. I loved PS0 on the DS despite all its flaws. Here's hoping for the best!

Im a sucker for hunting games and this one has a job system

double whammy

Sure reviews are calling it shallow but its not like i need another MH4U right now lol

Some small thoughts about the game from about an hour of playtime:

-Played as a monk, it seems like there's not much of a challenge. I'd garner that it would take about 30ish hits in order to die from mooks and the larger enemies don't seem to do much more. Maybe it's because the Counter ability is ridiculous as all hell?

-The lack of story is okay, but the voice clips that they use for the characters seems really low in quality. The music seems to be pretty awful too.

-I am a tad disappointed that not all the jobs are unlocked at once. Wanted to play as a red mage ; ;

Fandangox

I've only played a short while but I can answer some of these questions.

- Bosses vs small enemies seems dependent on the quest you're working on. The world has a lot of smaller enemies spread out and you'll come across larger bosses it seems if the quest dictates. I can't say this with 100% assurance but I have yet to see a boss walking around if the quest doesn't call for it.

How's the combat exactly? I am hoping it focuses more on big/hard bosses opposed to smaller enemies. How deep are the mechanics/is the game challenging?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Put my name on SE's waiting list for the Collector's Edition... is there even a chance with that I might get a copy? It doesn't have to be any time soon since it's doubtful I'll get to playing this for a while...

Keep impressions coming Gaf; still unsure whether to get it. Game spots video review sold me on it, but the impressions here are not.

Put my name on SE's waiting list for the Collector's Edition... is there even a chance with that I might get a copy? It doesn't have to be any time soon since it's doubtful I'll get to playing this for a while...

Squares store usually doesn't restock CE's like this. Usually they only relist some if they get cancellations. It's possible, but highly unlikely from what I've seen in the past. I don't think they expect to sell many copies of this game, and won't risk producing more than they think they can sell.

If you don't plan on playing this anytime soon it won't hurt to wait it out and see. Just don't get your hopes up.

Kadin

How's the combat exactly? I am hoping it focuses more on big/hard bosses opposed to smaller enemies. How deep are the mechanics/is the game challenging?
I'm not sure what you mean about focuses more on big/hard enemies beyond what I mentioned already. Sorry I guess I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

As to the combat, you're running around from a 3rd person perspective and able to see and lock onto enemies from afar. You can then engage them in various ways depending on what abilities you have available. The abilities are tied to a L/R + A/B/X/Y shortcut system. You also have a standard attack button (Y) that you can use in between abilities. I've read later on you can focus on specific parts of bosses but so far the few I've battled have had just one lock-on spot.

As to challenging, I have to be honest, so far it's been pretty easy but as I mentioned, I'm pretty early on so hopefully it gets more difficult.

Hope that gives a little more detail.

Fandangox

I'm not sure what you mean about focuses more on big/hard enemies beyond what I mentioned already. Sorry I guess I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

As to the combat, you're running around from a 3rd person perspective and able to see and lock onto enemies from afar. You can then engage them in various ways depending on what abilities you have available. The abilities are tied to a L/R + A/B/X/Y shortcut system. You also have a standard attack button (Y) that you can use in between abilities. I've read later on you can focus on specific parts of bosses but so far the few I've battled have had just one lock-on spot.

As to challenging, I have to be honest, so far it's been pretty easy but as I mentioned, I'm pretty early on so hopefully it gets more difficult.

Hope that gives a little more detail.

Yeah that helps. What I meant about smaller/bigger enemies is that in MH for example, the point is to battle the Big boss monsters, the smaller enemies are there for materials, or to be a small annoyance at best. Basically you fight bosses through the entire game, was wondering if it was similar here.

Kadin

Yeah that helps. What I meant about smaller/bigger enemies is that in MH for example, the point is to battle the Big boss monsters, the smaller enemies are there for materials, or to be a small annoyance at best. Basically you fight bosses through the entire game, was wondering if it was similar here.
Gotcha. So far I don't get the impression that this game is designed that same way. Of the materials I've got to make various items, they seem to drop from all mobs. I have to believe later on that this could change since there's the ability to focus on certain parts - unless that's simply from a damage perspective and doesn't pertain to getting certain materials from said parts. I'm not too sure about that.

Spreadsheet is now available!
Please add your information if you'd like to connect with other GAF members.

Submission form: (quote to see)
Spreadsheet: (quote to see)

You can just add it straight to the spreadsheet but I figured a form would make it all the easier. :p

UCBooties

I ordered the CE from SE. I don't like their store but they do a pretty good job with the shipping. Mine won't arrive until tomorrow but that is because I'm in the NE of USA and UPS was delayed for the winter storm this weekend. For how hard certain places got hit I'm actually surprised that it was only delayed by one day and I'm certainly not holding it against SE or UPS.

Great OT! Love the class list.

Played about 3 hours so far, it was very very easy as a monk solo I just 1 shot everything with a fist move it starts with... About 3 hours in I got to the first fight against one of the summons and decided to try doing it on a black mage I had never played before. I don't like the black mage and you can't tell the distance on the spells with the camera so most of my spells would go infront of behind him... died 4 times on the first boss but ended up beating him without failing the mission =\ My one and only issue with the game is the fucking camera, so annoying having to stop moving every few seconds to move the camera.

Matticers

I've played for a few hours and I'm working on the 2 star quests now. Like the previous post said, it's still very easy at the moment. I went with monk as well and I one shot most things when doing 1 star stuff. Just getting started with 2 stars and it takes some more damage to take things down but I haven't died yet.

The initial tutorial stuff is pretty bland but I'm starting to get into it now. The boss type enemies are pretty fun. The few that I've seen so far, anyway. I can already tell the game will be a lot more fun playing with others so I'll probably add my info soon if anyone wants to add me. I'm looking forward to unlocking the monster capture thing soon and unlocking new jobs to try out. So far I've only used monk but I might try some tank classes. But I'm enjoying it so far. It's pretty much what I expected based on impressions and videos that I saw and I'm cool with that.

I also haven't really had any issues with the camera since I'm using a n3DS. Sucks that the camera doesn't auto rotate but it's easy enough to move with the right stick. Seems like it would be much more of a chore to stop running to use the d-pad to move the camera though.

Top Bottom