• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers |OT| Lightning Returns Online

Moondrop

Banned
And reviews?
IGN
Gamespot
Game Informer
Destructoid
MMORPG.com
God is a Geek
NintendoWorldReport
Games Radar
Nintendo Enthusiast
Venture Beat

My notes:
- Most common praise was for combat variety and customization, then monster pals
- Most common complaints were traveling times/sprinting requiring AP, then shallowness/grind
-- Worth noting you can change the difficulty with various handicaps (for greater rewards) to mitigate repetitiveness.

I'm still hyped.

I wonder if you can play through the SP as a White Mage.
You can tame, level, and fight with up to three monster companions. So as you long as you get some with DPS it should be fine.

pikablu

Going to be playing this today after work. Gonna pick it up at lunch and hopefully play for a couple mins before heading back. I'm so hyped for this.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
IGN
Gamespot
Destructoid
Games Radar
Nintendo Enthusiast
Venture Beat

My notes:
- Most common praise was for combat variety and customization, then monster pals
- Most common complaints were traveling/sprinting requiring AP, then shallowness/grind
-- Worth noting you can change the difficult with various handicaps (for greater rewards) to mitigate repetitiveness.

I'm still hyped.

You can tame, level, and fight with up to three monster companions. So as you long as you get some with DPS it should be fine.
If monster pals had better AI maybe they could be used for something more than meat shields. I totally agree with the complain for sprinting requiring AP, though it's mostly a problem during harder fights as a magic user - you need to sprint to run away from attacks and stronger magic uses ton of AP. In the end the AP management makes fights really tedious.
Also, as for the handicaps, it's really easy to max the handicap quota with things which don't affect how you play, making the system hardly exciting.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Did they ever clarify what was meant by quest difficulty being able to be manually adjusted? Does this work like an adjustable difficulty level?
They probably meant the handicap/bonus system which affects the rewards. Quests themselves are tiered like in MH/Phantasy Star games.

Volcynika

Polygon 8/10 (Phil Kollar)

The focus on cooperative multiplayer is just one of many ways in which this isn't a regular Final Fantasy game at all. It's Final Fantasy because of the character designs, the skills and the classes; the gameplay, however, is something different than the series has ever done. Likewise, there's a mountain of grinding and repetition that you must be comfortable scaling if you ever hope to enjoy the game. It's a lot to overcome, but Final Fantasy Explorers' fast pace and deep skill and class customization systems carried the experience for me. It's no Monster Hunter replacement, but it's a strong start to a new direction for the esteemed RPG series.

BooJoh

Is there a reason why this wasn't in the eshop PR despite its imminent release? Seems like the eshop page isn't up either.

Nobody's certain. EU was able to preload it and even got a free theme for digital preorders, so there shouldn't be any need for concern (fingers crossed.) I think it's just not something NOA is promoting heavily themselves so it's going a little under the radar for them. I think it's basically getting the same treatment that most B-tier Retail+Digital releases get, with the sole exception of the coming soon video.

Z3M0G

There are key things I need to know:

- how much emphasis is there to fighting bosses vs fighting smaller enemies (I'm hoping for less Monster Hunter and more Phantasy Star)

- what are you grinding for? full gear drops? or materials for crafting? Do you level from XP in a traditional way?

- Does each job level independently?

- Does it have online matchmaking? Or play with Friends only?

It sounds like the general consensus is that it really is fun during multiplayer. I still don't know if I can forgive the painful ease of it and the repetitiveness though...

Super stoked. My copy should be at my doorstep when I get home from work tonight.
Glad to see you can play with monster friends if you're doing Single Player.

Chorazin

After reading the reviews, I'm sold. Seems like a great MonHun game for people that feel the MonHun series is just too murky.

Gonna DL it when I get home from work!

Proven

Okay, I was about to skip this game but the class descriptions are making me take a second look. If the minute-to-minute combat is fast enough, I may stay in. I don't usually like low armor melee types but if the game feels too slow/easy I can always try to speed it up with that.

Malreyn

Was really on the fence about getting this but I guess I'm gonna cave in...but Amazon looks to be out of stock...guess I'm going digital

Lucifon

So, can you just play with randoms online easily enough on this? I'll be playing solo, but if I can hop into games with others it becomes a lot more appealing.

My dates haven't changed on amazon but I still haven't been charged. I mean I wasn't rushing to play this immediately because I was hoping to finish a game or two before it came, but Amazon has been pretty shoddy with shipping my stuff out for a year now, so not getting charged is really bothering me.

Might just hunt for it at lunch.

So, can you just play with randoms online easily enough on this? I'll be playing solo, but if I can hop into games with others it becomes a lot more appealing.

I'm curious about this too. I'm unlikely to do much MP, but when I do, I have no desire to try and add friend codes and coordinate times and shit.

Gnomist

Since Hasemo is the only one here that's played it (I think) I'm wondering if you can elaborate on the combat. My impression is that you have a simple 3-hit combo for regenerating AP and then actions from jobs. Is there any meaningful interaction between attacks and job actions? Are they all simply things you fire off without much thought or do they overlap and create interesting opportunities? I guess I just want to know if there is any thoughtful or engaging element to using attacks or if it's mostly about bursting down an enemy with single attacks that have no relationship to one another and waiting for them to recharge.

nikos

So my local GameStop, the worst GameStop in the world, also the place where I preordered the game because it's the closest store to my apartment that sells games, is the only store in the area that didn't get the game.

Now I'm going to have to trek through NYC slush puddle hell to get it since I want the physical version. I'll post impressions later today.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Since Hasemo is the only one here that's played it (I think) I'm wondering if you can elaborate on the combat. My impression is that you have a simple 3-hit combo for regenerating AP and then actions from jobs. Is there any meaningful interaction between attacks and job actions? Are they all simply things you fire off without much thought or do they overlap and create interesting opportunities? I guess I just want to know if there is any thoughtful or engaging element to using attacks or if it's mostly about bursting down an enemy with single attacks that have no relationship to one another and waiting for them to recharge.
You mostly depend on your skills (you can have 2 full 4 button sets, iirc). Like people said, it's supposed to be an mmo lite, so as a mage, aside from healing/dealing damage you're also buffing etc.

As for regular attacks, you mostly use them to regenerate AP.
You can also give a simple command to your monsters if you're playing alone/not in a full party and your charge is full or use Trance to become a special character for a while (mostly used to recharge your AP/HP and use the character's special).

Aside from regular skills, the biggest part of the strategy is using Crystal Drives - random buffs/debuffs, which pop from time to time if you perform enough attacks (or something like that, my memory is a bit fuzzy). You perform them by holding L + R and hitting one of the face buttons. Iirc other players can help you activate them, which makes them last longer, I think. Anyway, those effects range from "increased armor", "all attacks are critical hits" to "all attacks deal 1k damage" (1000 Needles). Some of them work on both you and the enemies, so randomly mashing Crystal Drives can lead to a quick death.

mstevens

The fact that there is online lobbies makes me way more excited. Hope the net code is alright.

Is there a main story to beat? Obviously there will
be lots of post game stuff to grind, but is there a point where credits roll? Not a big fan of games that don't end.. Got burnt out by mmos

sensui-tomo

The fact that there is online lobbies makes me way more excited. Hope the net code is alright.

Is there a main story to beat? Obviously there will
be lots of post game stuff to grind, but is there a point where credits roll? Not a big fan of games that don't end.. Got burnt out by mmos
I havent seen much of a story yet, but then again i'm only into 2 rank missions. And i'm comparing this to toukiden in that regard.. I think if you want this for story you may want to rethink your options.

I know on n3DS the nub works as the CCP, but did they assign anything to the Z buttons?
Dash/Run is assigned to the ZR, It may also be the ZL but i've never actually used that button. Much better than holding B to run while holding the n3ds XL

First two hour impressions:

Production value is so far beneath MH4U it's laughable/sad. Definitely can see a few iterations from now this series being a legitimate peer to other "hunters" but this seems like a title that would have benefited from another full year of development. Some of the voice audio is unbearably cheap and environments are largely barren when compared to other similar titles. Perhaps it is unfair to directly compare FF:Explorers to MonHun but the game seemingly begs for the comparison and in doing so exposes many of its flaws. Again, I'm only about two hours in and these games are a slow burn most certainly but upfront the level of polish and production value is quite blatantly not on par with other games it aspires to match.

First two hour impressions:

Production value is so far beneath MH4U it's laughable/sad. Definitely can see a few iterations from now this series being a legitimate peer to other "hunters" but this seems like a title that would have benefited from another full year of development. Some of the voice audio is unbearably cheap and environments are largely barren when compared to other similar titles. Perhaps it is unfair to directly compare FF:Explorers to MonHun but the game seemingly begs for the comparison and in doing so exposes many of its flaws. Again, I'm only about two hours in and these games are a slow burn most certainly but upfront the level of polish and production value is quite blatantly not on par with other games it aspires to match.

That's surprising. Usually SE games are heavy on production.

Good enough for me

With regards to both series though

Ill be more than happy to see how the game evolve once we get off the 3DS train

sensui-tomo

That's surprising. Usually SE games are heavy on production.

Let me put this in another light, this game feels like it may have been a FtP game at one point but SE scrapped that idea. It kinda feels like that. I only have this because my friend was hyped for it and they bought me a copy so i can play this with her. It feels super budget-y(?) But i'm enjoying it as a fun distraction at the moment.

Let me put this in another light, this game feels like it may have been a FtP game at one point but SE scrapped that idea. It kinda feels like that. I only have this because my friend was hyped for it and they bought me a copy so i can play this with her. It feels super budget-y(?) But i'm enjoying it as a fun distraction at the moment.

My friends and I are looking for something to Co op with lately and January-February are pretty sparse so this should fit the bill in that role lol

MrDaravon

I wonder if the east coast storms late last week and over the weekend are causing some of the supply issues, seeing a lot of folks coming up empty on their pre-orders or store pick-ups.

That exact thought crossed my mind as well, I can definitely envision this as a mobile title with transactions for, say, Crystal Points or different armor/item sets.

Top Bottom