• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers |OT| Lightning Returns Online

I'm not sure I will keep playing this. I really want to like it but...it's kind of boring? I'm able to "trap" monsters now but the combat is not that great. I have other stuff to play and even if I didn't I think I'd rather be playing Monster Hunter.

redcrayon

I'm not sure I will keep playing this. I really want to like it but...it's kind of boring? I'm able to "trap" monsters now but the combat is not that great. I have other stuff to play and even if I didn't I think I'd rather be playing Monster Hunter.
That's fair enough if it isn't grabbing you. Did you try a couple of different classes?

It isn't anywhere close to MH in terms of polish, but I think there's a few nice ideas there. I'm deep into the 8* quests and can't see me returning to it after I'm done, but I'd be very interested in a sequel that tidied things up a bit.

The major problems for me are
A) only having 14 bosses to fight- even with palette swaps, it just isn't enough when they are the meat of the game and the basic enemies offer zero challenge.
B) the endless running between bosses on multiple-eidolon missions. It makes running between locations the biggest part of the quest. I'd rather they split it between 'dungeon' missions where you travel through an area and fight a boss, and 'duel' missions, where you can repeat the boss fight you want without having to run for ten minutes first.

That's fair enough if it isn't grabbing you. Did you try a couple of different classes?

It isn't anywhere close to MH in terms of polish, but I think there's a few nice ideas there. I'm deep into the 8* quests and can't see me returning to it after I'm done, but I'd be very interested in a sequel that tidied things up a bit.

The major problems for me are
A) only having 14 bosses to fight- even with palette swaps, it just isn't enough when they are the meat of the game and the basic enemies offer zero challenge.
B) the endless running between bosses on multiple-eidolon missions. It makes running between locations the biggest part of the quest. I'd rather they split it between 'dungeon' missions where you travel through an area and fight a boss, and 'duel' missions, where you can repeat the boss fight you want without having to run for ten minutes first.

I haven't gotten too diverse in the amount of classes I've tried. I agree with your issues as well. I really like Final Fantasy in general but this isn't doing too much for me.

Korezo

I haven't gotten too diverse in the amount of classes I've tried. I agree with your issues as well. I really like Final Fantasy in general but this isn't doing too much for me.

The game is pretty boring but what got me hooked is the transmutation system of trying to build super powerful classes. Once I do that I think I/m done, because theirs nothing to do in this game.

Enjoying this game with the SO. It is very easy to get into and play nightly with the Mrs, Explorers feels more like a MMO than any MH. I am a black mage currently but I might move onto a new job pretty soon. Beast Master looks like fun.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Finally caved in and bought this---been having trouble getting into games lately due to personal reasons, but this attracted me.

How much visual customization is there for your character? The Class System seems fun but is there a lot of hair and face options?

frequency

Finally caved in and bought this---been having trouble getting into games lately due to personal reasons, but this attracted me.

How much visual customization is there for your character? The Class System seems fun but is there a lot of hair and face options?

No. It's very basic character creation with only a few options, none of which are particularly good (in my opinion of course).
But your actual character in game is so tiny and so low resolution, it doesn't really even matter.

Any Dark Knight users on here? I'm giving him a shot. Managed to do the Mastery quest so I can duel wield axes (which seems to be better than using a Scythe). I just don't like how all of my skills have such a huge windup. Any fave abilities in the Axe department?

Umibozu

Any Dark Knight users on here? I'm giving him a shot. Managed to do the Mastery quest so I can duel wield axes (which seems to be better than using a Scythe). I just don't like how all of my skills have such a huge windup. Any fave abilities in the Axe department?
Darkness is good if charged for one or two seconds.
Divine ruination does holy, has good range, and castes regen for 2-3 seconds.
Calamity is your best attack, does two hits, good chance of criticals, has good recharge rate.
Vortex is good for running across areas, you'll run faster than people with haste caste, if duration is leveled up can run across entire zones, and it stacks with haste to make you run even faster.
Catastrophe when charged all the way will generally do 9999 damage, if used in conjunction with berserk will double the length of your charge allowing you to exceed the 9999 damage limit, I can do 16000-18000 damage normally. The problem with berserk is that it will drain your AP every second.
Heavy guard will decrease damage by 50%.
The rest is up to preference, I put regen and tomahawk in my setup.

redcrayon

OK, I'm done with this. Just finished up the 10* quests.

Played SP all the way through, with a mix of monster pals, but mainly Black Knight. Took 45 hours or so, and I have to say that while the abberant forms of the eidolons are worth seeing 7/8* for, 9/10* added nothing new of consequence. A few new equips to make by grinding rare items (no thanks) and for what? There's no new bosses after 8*, just mild increases in difficulty and some tedious quests (kill 6 eidolons! Collect 100 items! Kill 75 monsters!)

After the main quest finishes at 5*, you get two new bosses and variant forms of the 12 eidolons. It really does feel light on content and heavy on grind when there's always new equipment but no new actual bosses.

Ah well, was worth my time at £23. Enjoyed it despite the let-down of the second half- Monster Hunter constantly throws new stuff out as a reward for players who fight through to the very end. Can't see me playing it again, but I'd be on board for a sequel if they double down on the good stuff like mutations, double the number of bosses, and primarily reduce the hours I spent just running between eidolon lairs due to the sluggish movement.

Korezo

OK, I'm done with this. Just finished up the 10* quests.

Played SP all the way through, with a mix of monster pals, but mainly Black Knight. Took 45 hours or so, and I have to say that while the abberant forms of the eidolons are worth seeing 7/8* for, 9/10* added nothing new of consequence. A few new equips to make by grinding rare items (no thanks) and for what? There's no new bosses after 8*, just mild increases in difficulty and some tedious quests (kill 6 eidolons! Collect 100 items! Kill 75 monsters!)

After the main quest finishes at 5*, you get two new bosses and variant forms of the 12 eidolons. It really does feel light on content and heavy on grind when there's always new equipment but no new actual bosses.

Ah well, was worth my time at £23. Enjoyed it despite the let-down of the second half- Monster Hunter constantly throws new stuff out as a reward for players who fight through to the very end. Can't see me playing it again, but I'd be on board for a sequel if they double down on the good stuff like mutations, double the number of bosses, and primarily reduce the hours I spent just running between eidolon lairs due to the sluggish movement.

How many scythe are in the game? The game is starting to drain me now @8 stars and can only do 1 or 2 quests a day, its because I'm trying to rush to the end to see all equipment to then start actually farming. I don't want to farm for something early and then have to kill the same thing again over and over when something better appears. The repetition in this game is too high already.

redcrayon

I'm not sure, I mainly used swords, but there were a steady stream of new weapons right up to 10*.

My 7* upgraded weapons were more than good enough to finish the game though.

Wagram

The more I play this the more I want another Crystal Chronicles. I don't think i'll play past the main scenario. It's alright and has some neat ideas, but the gameplay loop is trash and it's incredibly boring.

Great boss design though. Just wish they were tougher on the first go around.

EDIT: Just completed the main story. Is there any new enemy boss types after
Omega and Gilgy
? Did those and i'm going to call it here unless there's something i'm missing.

The more I play this the more I want another Crystal Chronicles. I don't think i'll play past the main scenario. It's alright and has some neat ideas, but the gameplay loop is trash and it's incredibly boring.

Omega and Gilgy

I'm at 7*, and no. Those are the last new ones. The rest are just harder versions of the original bosses.

I'm done with this game. Spent 7 hours on it but I've got other stuff I'd be having more fun with. Hunted a bit in MH4U and then played some Paper Jam last night after coming to the realization that this game just isn't for me.

redcrayon

Omega and Gilgy
Nope, that's your lot. Although some of the palette swap 'aberrant' eidolon fights are worth a look, the Leviathan one that lives in the desert sandstorm is pretty cool.

Mcdohl

Just killed the final boss. It was...underwhelming.

I did not enjoy this game, but played it out of Final Fantasy fandom and...while I rode the bus.

Maybe multiplayer would have changed my opinion on this game.

redcrayon

Just killed the final boss. It was...underwhelming.

I did not enjoy this game, but played it out of Final Fantasy fandom and...while I rode the bus.

Maybe multiplayer would have changed my opinion on this game.
Was that the 5* one or the 10* one? The 5* one rolled over so fast that I spent more time running through the preceding area than actually fighting him.

Finally made it to 8* quests today. So far, they're pretty silly. It's just "beat x & y eidelon."

Also, I've noticed that as long as you have a dodge mechanic of some kind (like Quarte or Deflect), this game is rather simple. I'd rather them incorporate something like a dodge roll for all characters, or an ability to actually use your shield to block.

redcrayon

Finally made it to 8* quests today. So far, they're pretty silly. It's just "beat x & y eidelon."

Also, I've noticed that as long as you have a dodge mechanic of some kind (like Quarte or Deflect), this game is rather simple. I'd rather them incorporate something like a dodge roll for all characters, or an ability to actually use your shield to block.
I thought deflect was way overpowered in that it blocked 100% of damage from almost every attack in the game, and was paired with blood sword, that drained even more health after a successful deflect.

They could easily have said that deflect only works vs the physical attacks, and added another magical shield stance/skill to block spells with. At least that would have made the defensive game more interesting as you couldn't just sit in one stance to block all damage when the enemy goes crazy.

Soul Lab

a question:

I play with a friend. and we want both add one monster to fill the 4man party. But it seems only the host of the quest add monsters. that kinda sucks.
Am I missing something?

Top Bottom