• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers |OT| Lightning Returns Online

Umibozu

I've been running with a Mandragora (heals and does a decent wind attack) since I unlocked monster recruiting. Centaurion was nice but too big so I switched him for a Cactuar. Now I get haste every time I enter a new area and it seems to hold its own considering how far behind on level it is.
I had a ghost, cactuar, and centorean team earlier myself. Yeah cactuar casting haste at the beginning of every room is really helpful.
I normally run with magic jar and cactuar, magic jar's flare attack generally clears the screen of enemies and does decent damage to bosses.
You'll see what I mean if you do the magic jar's quest, a bunch of them doing flare constantly and you might get knocked out once or twice.
Oh and tonberry isn't too bad, he's able to stagger enemies out of their animations, does good chip damage to bosses, isn't affected by a lot of ailments, and has high HP. It's a good tank, just wish it moved faster.

UCBooties

Is there anywhere in the game to see how you are progressing towards a job's mastery? I have all my exclusive monk gear so I'm playing around with a machinist for a while. Is there any way to see how long it will be before the Machinist mastery quest shows up?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there anywhere in the game to see how you are progressing towards a job's mastery? I have all my exclusive monk gear so I'm playing around with a machinist for a while. Is there any way to see how long it will be before the Machinist mastery quest shows up?

Have 5* quests unlocked. After that, it should be run 10 quests.

For the record, you can free roam -> return to town to get the 10 quest completions quickly.

BooJoh

Go to your License, View License, then page over to where it shows which weapons you've used, and hit Y to switch to the page that shows how often you've used each job. You need to have done 10 quests with a job to unlock the mastery quest.

UCBooties

Have 5* quests unlocked. After that, it should be run 10 quests.

For the record, you can free roam -> return to town to get the 10 quest completions quickly.

Go to your License, View License, then page over to where it shows which weapons you've used, and hit Y to switch to the page that shows how often you've used each job. You need to have done 10 quests with a job to unlock the mastery quest.

Awesome, thank you! That's not as bad as I though it might be...

So I got the game yesterday thanks to the helpful input of several posters and Amazon's amazing free next day delivery and played long enough to get a pet. So far I'm having mixed, but overall positive feelings.

I managed to recreate my character from PSO so that was nice. I wish the camera was closer so that I could see my character though. It's pulled back too far. I guess that's to accommodate the first area, which is a large field. I also don't like how most of the areas seem to be large and open like this. There are a few tight areas so far, but I definitely prefer PSO's emphasis on smaller rooms connecting to make a larger dungeon.

The quest structure definitely exacerbates this. Quests are really boring and short. Go an area and kill x number of things. I like how PSO had you constantly delving into a dungeon. They took longer and felt more meaningful. And it made you appreciate the surroundings more. I also dislike the time limit on quests, because I never feel like I can just dick around. It's always straight to the objective and then peace out.

The game so far is also ridiculously easy. Until the last quest I was killing every non-boss monster in one shot. Now it takes 2-3. And I've never had to worry about my AP or HP. I'm sure it gets harder later, but the game should really have created a more exciting difficulty curve in the beginning.

The combat is definitely the most PSO-like fighting I have experienced in years. Unfortunately, it lacks the 1-2-3 combo rhythm that I like, but maybe that's just because I'm a Black Mage and using spells exclusively. I actually haven't tried out the other Jobs yet but eventually I do want to become a sword/magic user. Maybe the combat will get better then. The wide open areas doesn't lend itself to the strategic spacing that I was hoping for, but that may also be due to my spell usage and the fact that I haven't had to fight strategically yet since everything dies so quickly. The speed is also faster than PSO but not too fast that it just becomes a sloppy mess.

But what's keeping me coming back now is the Custom Abilities. I just want to keep upgrading them. The loss of levels does sting but the Custom Abilities more than make up for it. I'm torn on whether I wish the customizing could be more deliberate, so you could create the exact Abilities you want, but the randomness also scratches that gambling itch that feels so good. From what I understand, the mutation is based on the Crystal Surge you activate. But from what I can tell these are random and I have no idea what they will do or what mutations they will confer. In fact when I can do a Crystal Surge I just select one as soon as possible because I'm scared of loosing the resonance. That's my fault though and I'm sure I'll be able to be more strategic with experience. But the random Crystal Surge type coupled with the randomness of Abilities that are mutated does feel a bit too random for me. I think having set Crystal Surge abilities that you select would be better. Maybe this is already a thing that I haven't gotten to in the game yet?

The Monster party thing is also very intriguing. I just have 1 pet right now, but they can level! I can see myself spending time creating the best team. Right now there's so much going on that I don't fully understand how to best create/customize Monsters, but I'm sure I will be able to find out.

Anyway, those are my current thoughts after about 3 hours. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

BooJoh

I managed to recreate my character from PSO so that was nice. I wish the camera was closer so that I could see my character though. It's pulled back too far.

You can zoom in and out by holding L and pressing the C-Stick up or down, I assume the D-pad would work too but I'm not sure. Unfortunately it doesn't remember your zoom level.

For Crystal Surges and getting the mutation you want, once the game tells you you have a Crystal Surge, if you use a move that generates Resonance it should reroll your Crystal Surges so you can try to get the one you want.

I've been playing multiplayer a lot, and depending on the group I die all the time or not even once. I can't tell if it's me or my teammates that are playing terribly.
The weapon crafting/upgrades seem very slow going as well. It seems like it's not worth upgrading until end game as the exchange rate is abysmal.

redcrayon

Cool, I unlocked Paladin!

Seems like a decent upgrade from knight-
You get the Cover skill rather than attracting malice as a zero-cost class ability, which is essentially an upgraded Deflect, allowing you to block all attacks on allies and yourself in a small area. The only downside is that, unlike Deflect, Cover doesn't synergise with Blood Sword for that sweet, increased health-regaining counter.
I think I'll stick with Deflect when playing solo but use Cover online if I ever get around to it.
Your spirit stat is higher, making you better at healing.
Inate passive ability is that you are less vulnerable to status effects due to your holy aura, that's a great skill.

Chorazin

Cool, I unlocked Paladin!

Seems like a decent upgrade from knight-
You get the Cover skill rather than attracting malice as a zero-cost class ability, which is essentially an upgraded Deflect, allowing you to block all attacks on allies and yourself in a small area. The only downside is that, unlike Deflect, Cover doesn't synergise with Blood Sword for that sweet, increased health-regaining counter.
I think I'll stick with Deflect when playing solo but use Cover online if I ever get around to it.
Your spirit stat is higher, making you better at healing.
Inate passive ability is that you are less vulnerable to status effects due to your holy aura, that's a great skill.

Oh man, Paladin sounds awesome. I might have to check that out, I'm enjoying Knight a lot but that sounds like a great upgrade!

bumpkin

Does anyone have any tips for capturing eidelons?

I've fought and tried to "encase" Ramuh like six times and it never seems to give me the option when I bring up my CS menu no matter how close to dead he is. :(

redcrayon

I've fought and tried to "encase" Ramuh like six times and it never seems to give me the option when I bring up my CS menu no matter how close to dead he is. :(
You need to get him under 5% health.

If you aren't getting the option to encase, stop attacking him, and spam your support abilities until you get another crystal surge, that should re-roll the options and give you encase. Use an ether if necessary to restore resonance points so you can keep spamming heals/buffs until it happens.

Only use encase when he has stopped moving, otherwise you might waste it, it's range isn't huge.

A support ability needs to affect you or an ally to count. If you don't take many support abilities usually (maybe you rely on items more) it might be worth setting up a loadout just for encasing. I've even got loadouts with kit saved for specific eidolons now, to resist their specific powers!

>Spends 2 days grinding Odin for the awesome shield.
>Finally gets the shield.
>None of the jobs I use can equip this shield.

Fuuuuuuuu. I wish they were a little more obvious about what you can and can't use.

Fuuuuuuuu. I wish they were a little more obvious about what you can and can't use.

Yeah one of the many little things this game could do better lol

Gimme a sequel SE!

BooJoh

Don't bring monster allies with you either.

I believe shields with the round icon are regular shields usable my most classes, and the ones with the other icon are pavises, only usable by a couple classes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm discovering that the challenge of this game is getting the mutations you want. Unless you memorize all these damn things, you have to have a tab open or a sheet printed to know that "Eye of Medusa" grants Front Attack or "Agony" grants M-Def -. Also, you have to run a mission 16 times at a minimum to build a skill the way you want it. Makes designing and building new abilities somewhat cumbersome.

redcrayon

I'm discovering that the challenge of this game is getting the mutations you want. Unless you memorize all these damn things, you have to have a tab open or a sheet printed to know that "Eye of Medusa" grants Front Attack or "Agony" grants M-Def -. Also, you have to run a mission 16 times at a minimum to build a skill the way you want it. Makes designing and building new abilities somewhat cumbersome.
Only if you have to have everything min/maxed with specific upgrades and at maximum level though, and even then you'll gradually get what you want just by playing the game. Most abilities have several upgrades that seem pretty cool to me.

Are you in the post game or something? I'd understand it if you're going for a final set for the most difficult final missions, but abilities pop up throughout the game, so grinding out upgrades for specific early ones might be a waste of time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Only if you have to have everything min/maxed with specific upgrades and at maximum level though, and even then you'll gradually get what you want just by playing the game. Most abilities have several upgrades that seem pretty cool to me.

It's more that I don't want my Desperado9 to have something dumb on it, ha. I also don't like that Haste 1 and Haste 5 or whatever seems to have no real change. I'd love to know the percentage of abilities proc'ing.

I believe shields with the round icon are regular shields usable my most classes, and the ones with the other icon are pavises, only usable by a couple classes.

Yeah, the round ones (Bucklers) are used by everyone that doesn't have a 2-handed Weapon. I had just assumed that since Dragoon's special armor is the Heavy type, that I'd be able to use the big shields.
Speaking of, trying to get the full Dragoon armor set. It's taking a while. Blue Dragon just does not want to give me that purple drop (Icedrake Talon).

redcrayon

It's more that I don't want my Desperado9 to have something dumb on it, ha. I also don't like that Haste 1 and Haste 5 or whatever seems to have no real change. I'd love to know the percentage of abilities proc'ing.
Ah, I see. Yeah, I'd love to see the percentage chance of those abilities kicking in, it doesn't seem worth it compared to stuff with constant effects.

bumpkin

You need to get him under 5% health.

If you aren't getting the option to encase, stop attacking him, and spam your support abilities until you get another crystal surge, that should re-roll the options and give you encase. Use an ether if necessary to restore resonance points so you can keep spamming heals/buffs until it happens.

Only use encase when he has stopped moving, otherwise you might waste it, it's range isn't huge.

A support ability needs to affect you or an ally to count. If you don't take many support abilities usually (maybe you rely on items more) it might be worth setting up a loadout just for encasing. I've even got loadouts with kit saved for specific eidolons now, to resist their specific powers!
Does resonance need to be above some certain threshold for encase to show up? I was trying with between 150-175 I think and never see the option.

What are some support abilities I can assign to a Knight?

redcrayon

Does resonance need to be above some certain threshold for encase to show up? I was trying with between 150-175 I think and never see the option.

What are some support abilities I can assign to a Knight?
Hmm,unsure about the number.

Try shell, protect, cure and Esuna as a starting point.

Just unlocked Paladin but I'm sticking with Ninja until I hit Samurai. I'm a death-machine when I have AP but a real glass cannon when my dodge abilities are down.

Unlocking Samurai is going to kill me, though. Running out of things I can reliably get mats for.

Korezo

Just unlocked Paladin but I'm sticking with Ninja until I hit Samurai. I'm a death-machine when I have AP but a real glass cannon when my dodge abilities are down.

Unlocking Samurai is going to kill me, though. Running out of things I can reliably get mats for.

What armor type do you use as a ninja? Or do every tank class use heavy. Ninjas dont look like ninjas with heavy armor and is reasin why I don't use the class.

What armor type do you use as a ninja? Or do every tank class use heavy. Ninjas dont look like ninjas with heavy armor and is reasin why I don't use the class.

I'm rocking tank gear on him, yeah, but once you unlock your Class Quest, you can make proper Shinobi gear that's real good. Just takes a bit of grinding once you hit 5-Star.

Got this earlier today.. seems like a pretty fun low-budget game. Haven't tried coop yet, but the mutation system is absolutely brilliant. My only gripe (so far) would be the graphics.. it really does look like a high-end DS title. It' not a huge deal by any means, but still.

It reminds me more of Phantasy Star Portable/Zero than MH though. Perhaps especially Zero. Also, I don't think I'd play this game without the c-stick.

Silvard

Picking this game up today after work. Me and a couple of friends decided to buy it together and give the multiplayer a shot. Any beginner tips/things I should know before starting?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Picking this game up today after work. Me and a couple of friends decided to buy it together and give the multiplayer a shot. Any beginner tips/things I should know before starting?

Have this chart available: Surges and what they mean

It will make more sense once you start playing. But the information in it, once you are introduced to that mechanic, will be invaluable.

BooJoh

Yeah, the round ones (Bucklers) are used by everyone that doesn't have a 2-handed Weapon. I had just assumed that since Dragoon's special armor is the Heavy type, that I'd be able to use the big shields.
Speaking of, trying to get the full Dragoon armor set. It's taking a while. Blue Dragon just does not want to give me that purple drop (Icedrake Talon).

I'm rocking the Shell Shield for the added M.Def buff. I'm still working on the Dragoon armor too. I have the helm and chest, I need one more Icedrake Talon for the legs. I've done the mission 26 times so far in total, and in the process of trying to get my 6 Icedrake Talons I've gotten 12 Firedrake Scales, go figure.

A tip: if you don't have all the Earthdrake Fangs you need for the set, while you're doing the Dragoon quest get a Crystal Surge in the desert where you start and use the CC surge to enter the cyclone and fight a Yellow Dragon.

Then I just get to look forward to killing Bahamut 10 times for the Kain's Lance mats.

Just got the credits to role. Fun times. I'm excited to play some postgame stuff.
Also, bought the Swimsuit. Think I found my new fabulous endgame armor.

Silvard

Been playing for a couple of hours now and I have to admit the game is legit. I had tempered expectations but something about the game clicked with me and I've been having a blast. That surge/ability mutation mechanic is so fun.

That said I know absolutely nothing about the game and the requirement to unlock anything or how I find any materials, how do people know this stuff?

redcrayon

I asked on here :)
There's some links to resource guides earlier in the thread.

As for classes:
Paladin= acquire 15% (or about 95) of the armour/weapons/accessories.
Beast master= recruit 20 monsters (they don't all have to be different ones)
Dark knight= kill 500 monsters.
There's a couple more ones with 'hidden' requirements but I haven't reached them yet.

Most of the others (machinist, sage, dragoon etc) you unlock through quests.

Yeah, despite the slightly rough graphics and sound, I think it's a great game in its own right. It's got enough cool ideas to not just be a phantasy star knockoff, I like the mutations and also having to capture eidolons before you can use their abilities.

Also, I like the way it's streamlined with switching between classes and ability sets, and saving loadouts, it encourages you to try different things, reminds me of MH in that way.

Finished the game yesterday. It's really fun but really cheap too. Let's hope for a sequel on NX, this time with a bigger budget.

I don't really have time right now, but I'll comeback to FFEX later this month to do all the post game content!

Yup I hope it sold well enough to get a sequel!

So much that can be built upon here!
Yeah, you can tell the developer gave it their all with the tiny budget they had.

It kinda reminds me of Freedom Wars. It's super unrefined and clunky but you can feel the game is onto something und could be built into something great.

redcrayon

Yeah, you can tell the developer gave it their all with the tiny budget they had.

It kinda reminds me of Freedom Wars. It's super unrefined and clunky but you can feel the game is onto something und could be built into something great.
I said the exact same thing re. Freedom Wars earlier, it's got real potential and some fresh ideas.

For me personally, it's also like a greatest hits of the earlier FF games and reminds me why I loved them. Little things like Leviathan's tidal wave and Bahamut's flare, and Dragoons leaping around. Good times
(before Shiva turned into a motorbike)
:)

Korezo

I beat the game and have every weapon unlocked except for scythe. How do I unlock scythes? The only reason I even bothered with the drk class was just for the scythe and I don't even have access to the weapon. That weapon better be the best melee weapon since the class it was made for can't even use it until I don't know when. I killed r5 diablos a ton already.

Shamdeo

You need to be in melee range when you use Encase and the cast bar needs to fill to completion while the eidolon is in range. I found out the hard way a few times lol...

Leviathan is a bastard to Encase.

Edit: also be careful if you're using monsters because the good ones will straight up kill an eidolon before you can encase it.

I beat the game and have every weapon unlocked except for scythe. How do I unlock scythes? The only reason I even bothered with the drk class was just for the scythe and I don't even have access to the weapon. That weapon better be the best melee weapon since the class it was made for can't even use it until I don't know when. I killed r5 diablos a ton already.

There's a 6* quest about pots that you have to beat. Then you unlock Scythes in the store.

redcrayon

Don't worry too much about shields. I've found that even as a class that can use a Pavise, once you've done your mastery quest, dual-wielding is so much better than the meagre defensive bonuses offered by a shield.

danwu

Banned
Explorers is a blast to play !

I like that it's very easy to sign up and join a quest.

Also like how fast travel is !

Well, I beat the game. It was a fun ride but it missed out on a bit too much of its potential. Fingers crossed for a sequel.

Ability mutating is probably the coolest idea in the game (but the grind is painful) and they definitely need to expand on it in the sequel. It fits in well with the "blank slate" advanced classes where you can really customize your build.

I can't decide whether I want to dive into the postgame content and start building the class armor sets or pick up Neptunia VII instead.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I know this game can be played solo, but is it any fun to do so? Does playing with bots (summoned monsters, I guess?) water down the experience at all?

Top Bottom