• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers |OT| Lightning Returns Online

Is this because you have an o3DS or is it still fiddly with the extra stick on n3DS?

Just a reg 3ds xl, I guess I'll have to pay for a the circle pad pro soon...Otherwise you have to stop moving and rotate the camera with the dpad since the camera doesn't rotate on its own at all.

I was lucky GS only had one copy left

pXXMGvk.jpg

Don't reviewers usually hate hunting gamnes

I don't think the camera is bad at all. It's perfectly serviceable with the lock on with R and centering it with L. The game isn't fast paced and doesn't requires enough meticulous movement to warrant a faster camera imo.

Playing as White Mage and rocking the Water magic. :p

Spreadsheet is now available!
Please add your information if you'd like to connect with other GAF members.

Submission form: (quote to see)
Spreadsheet: (quote to see)

You can just add it straight to the spreadsheet but I figured a form would make it all the easier. :p

Thanks.

TheGrue

I didn't have to do anything on my N3DS - it just worked. Did you have to specifically do something to get the nub to work?

For some reason, it had Circle Pad Pro listed as off for me even though I have a n3DS. Not sure if it's because I launched the game, but then closed the lid before actually doing anything and it somehow missed the check or something.

What's even worse about my shipment being delayed is I probably would have had my Amazon copy if I hadn't cancelled my preorder last week and reordered it to make sure I got the Prime discount.
I should have just left it and dealt with Amazon CS after the fact.

Robin64

Only played a little so far, but my hope of it being easier to get into the Monster Hunter series has been realised. Definitely a nicer intro this "genre". It's as if Monster Hunter and Crystal Chronicles had a little baby.

Hour and a half in I'm really liking it. Gameplay feels great on the New 3DS XL but I could imagine the D-pad camera control being a pain for those without. Game is blurry as shit but I still like the look overall. Music is great too. Feels like "My first Monster Hunter" kind of like how Paper Mario and Pokemon have that "My First RPG" feeling. Gonna eat dinner then play some more. Looking forward to the Transformations

Hour and a half in I'm really liking it. Gameplay feels great on the New 3DS XL but I could imagine the D-pad camera control being a pain for those without. Game is blurry as shit but I still like the look overall. Music is great too. Feels like "My first Monster Hunter" kind of like how Paper Mario and Pokemon have that "My First RPG" feeling. Gonna eat dinner then play some more. Looking forward to the Transformations
Same here. There's just something about it that feels really good to me

fmpanda

Got my CE in today and tinkered around while waiting for FF14 to update for Heavensward, pretty fun so far, although I need Iron Ore for Knight Gear, I'm wondering where I can mine that stuff, lol

Same here. There's just something about it that feels really good to me

I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews and I can understand why. But I feel it does explain its systems better than other "hunter" games and I'm completely enamored with it so far. I said I was going to eat then play more but I stuck around for three more quest. That's gotta mean something.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I am a huge Monster Hunter fan.

I'm okay with average games if they have features in it I really like.

This game is a Final Fantasy MonHun style game, I love that there's many classes to pick and that you can even customize them, and probably the feature I love most is being able to have a party of monsters helping you.

Can someone go in depth about the monster recruiting mechanic? I was thinking about being a Black Mage with a team of monsters at my beck and call. Also, can you customize your avatar in anyway? Like, their physical appearance?
If so, can they have beards?

I might download this game right now depending.

nikos

I'm about three hours into the game, and I'm having a lot of fun so far. Did a lot of soloing and some online co-op with a friend. The online system works surprisingly well for a 3DS game.

Wish there were a guide for the game so it would be easier to know where to farm materials. I haven't bought a guide in forever, but I'd pick this one up for sure.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Not entirely sure if I'm going to wait for a copy to be available at a nearby store or just download it now. Having it without carrying a case around is appealing on one hand, but I'm used to having the carts for all my 3DS games.

Choices...

I am a huge Monster Hunter fan.

I'm okay with average games if they have features in it I really like.

This game is a Final Fantasy MonHun style game, I love that there's many classes to pick and that you can even customize them, and probably the feature I love most is being able to have a party of monsters helping you.

Can someone go in depth about the monster recruiting mechanic? I was thinking about being a Black Mage with a team of monsters at my beck and call. Also, can you customize your avatar in anyway? Like, their physical appearance?
If so, can they have beards?

I might download this game right now depending.
Yes you can customize your avatar, but there's only 1 beard option. And I just unlocked monster recruiting, so I can't give you a full explanation of how it works.

As a huge MH fan myself, I can totally recommend this game to you. I'm having a lot of fun!

Umibozu

Got my CE in today and tinkered around while waiting for FF14 to update for Heavensward, pretty fun so far, although I need Iron Ore for Knight Gear, I'm wondering where I can mine that stuff, lol
hibat foothills, it the second area to the right. It's a regular foraging pickup

I don't understand why but it seems that the magic treat is better than magic attack at causing damage.

I'm doing a lot more damage with the initial magic +6 staff.

mstevens

Canceled my Amazon and picked it up on target. Going in completely blind... Not even sure what class I'll play. Maybe a red Mage? Can you change and level up multiple classes on one character?

Unison

Played some... not crazy about it.

- How many field maps are there in the game?
- Can it ever become faster? The running speed is driving me nuts.

B00TE

Played for about 3 hours. My initial hour on the game was incredibly boring, but once I started fighting ediolons it got a lot more fun, especially with some friends. Ramuh especially was a silly fight, as I had turned off items and upped the difficulty without telling my friends.
Monk is pretty fun to play.

Fou-Lu

It still blows my mind that the original Crystal Chronicles has never been retooled and rereleased

Take out the damn thing you have to carry and you have an addictive little co op game

I mean hell, just let you keep the damn moogle that carries the thing in multiplayer.

Game had such amazing areas and music and despite having to pack the chalice as long as you alternated who had to do so the game was amazing in multiplayer.

pariah164

Great OT! I was hype for this game, but it's coming out too close to FE Fates to be comfortable for my wallet. Keeping it in my wishlist, will be added to the backlog at a later date. Have fun with it, you guys!

jorgejjvr

Is the game any good?

I haven't really played any ff game other than crystal chronicles, so fan service is not for me

But I love monster hunter

Chorazin

Ok....how the hell do I do the Crystal Crash thing? It's the second freaking quest. I feel like I've spent way to much time on this....

Velcro Fly

Game seems really fun so far. It is kinda about my pace for these kinds of games.

Time to go gather some ore for some noob Knight armor.

Zareka

Alright, ordered this game since a friend just did. Are there multiple character slots here? That'd give me options to split playtime if we end up doing games on here. Or are levels job dependent?

Moondrop

Banned
This game is good. The challenge finally appears with the espers. I actually had to use counter on monk to survive the first boss fight as I hadn't been forced to manage AP to that point. Shortly after I unlocked time mage and that has been just as cool in a completely different way- you draw in mobs with gravity then AoE spike with quake.

Are there multiple character slots here? That'd give me options to split playtime if we end up doing games on here. Or are levels job dependent?
There are two save slots. Jobs have no levels to them, but you have to unlock the jobs themselves and purchase the abilities separately for each save file.

Edit: I shouldn't say jobs don't have a level, as you do "master" each one at a certain point. I haven't found where that progress is recorded. But they're level-less in the sense that you can swap to a new one, equip the abilities, and you're not at a deficit relative to the quest level you're on.

Velcro Fly

Played for a few hours.

It's addicting to run around and kill things, get a crystal surge, and then see if your abilities will mutate.

As a knight I got the Critical Star one and everything I did crit. I got it on a mission to kill a cockatrice and I crit it for 3k damage really quickly.

Grinding out items and things for quests will be really fun.

I have not tried out any classes other than Knight. I always try to start out as the defensive melee in most games now just to get used to it. Might try black mage tomorrow.

Interested to see what I have to do to master classes though.

Definitely worth the day 1 purchase. I am not a monster hunter genre person at all. But this game has numbers and health bars and class swapping so it is geared more towards me.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Yes you can customize your avatar, but there's only 1 beard option. And I just unlocked monster recruiting, so I can't give you a full explanation of how it works.

As a huge MH fan myself, I can totally recommend this game to you. I'm having a lot of fun!

I ended up buying it and downloading it digitally. A textbook case of impulse buy but I have a feeling I will not regret it.

Zareka

There are two save slots. Jobs have no levels to them, but you have to unlock the jobs themselves and purchase the abilities separately for each save file.

Edit: I shouldn't say jobs don't have a level, as you do "master" each one at a certain point. I haven't found where that progress is recorded. But they're level-less in the sense that you can swap to a new one, equip the abilities, and you're not at a deficit relative to the quest level you're on.

Awesome, thanks. That's what I was looking for. :)

Ended up downloading it. I've put about an hour in (beat the Red Dragon) as a ranger. Pretty fun! Kind of like a "My First Monster Hunter Game."
The graphics, movement, and gameplay really remind me of Phantasy Star Zero. Like, a LOT. To be honest, it looks like a DS game. Not complaining because I like the game a lot so far and loved PSZ. It just seems... dated.

Impulse purchased from the eShop. Hope it's fun! I've some good things and watched a Twitch streamer this morning. Need to take a break from Diablo anyway. Warm up that 3DS usage before Fates comes out.

Top Bottom