• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

id Software shows alternative cover arts for DOOM, are 100x better than the default.

tumblr_o3hs4byTHq1r2to8go1_1280.jpg

Hahahah oh goddamit

is there some kind of rule against having reverse covers contain the console branding, boxquotes etc all that stuff?
i dont think there's ever been a game with reverse cover art that contained all that
and while it's cool that you just get the art without a bunch of stuff covering it up...i kind would prefer the reverse cover to match all my other standard games?

I can think of one: Mass Effect 3 featured a reversible cover with FemShep that was exactly the same as the main one: console branding, boxquotes, ESRB rating, everything. The only thing it lacked was the barcode.

They are.
A should be the reverse cover
B should be the actual cover
The current cover should be removed.

This. I can't believe they went for "generic space marine" as their cover. I can't think of anything less eye-catching. It just screams, "halo clone here, please ignore me".

Personally, I'd have just gone for "Doom" in white on a plain black background, with Option B as the reversible cover.
Doom is one of the only games that can get away with a "Fuck you, we don't need art when we've got the most recognisable name in FPS games"

HonMirin

A for special edition

B for normal retail

Seriously, fuck the cover we have now.
This is the best answer. This one right here.

It's very rare a cover triggers a 'F@&K YEAH!!' feeling in me in anticipation of playing a game, but B does exactly that. Let's me know things are about to get real very soon. Both covers, especially B, would make me buy this game.

KORNdoggy

#A FTW
Less is more

but it looks amateur, like some cut-out filter is appliet to it in photoshop. i'd almost go as far as saying it was put it in there as an option to make it more obvious that option B is better, they're directing the vote by making the alternative crap...

what would you rather have..

A. this pile of cat shit

or

B. this cute kitten

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well done, everyone. Will reverse this as soon as I get back home when I purchase the game.

Same.

Man the main one is still awful.

I would love for A to be the main, spooky and mysterious, then B the reversible of Hell unleashing, but at least we have this.

amnesiac

I refuse to believe someone would be more interested in the game after seeing the actual cover art versus option B.

Pacotez

The default cover is far more likely to get an illiterate COD fan to accidentally buy it.

I'm not sure about that.
might be like buying pizza. You wont' buy from another place just because you passed by it, you will get from the place you like once you get home and give it a call but you might buy the lasagna from the place you passed by.
If it looks like any other generic shooter they might not buy it because "its an inferior version of cod" or something like that

Garlador

When I see this game on Gamestop store shelves, I shall be doing my civic duty of reversing the cover images to option B on every copy I come across.

Stiler

Glad B won. A's image is just so plain and boring despite the badass ass skull.

Plain and boring? It's a throwback to classic Heavy Metal covers and also to ultimate doom/doom 64 cover art.

I think it looks quite nice and fitting and it should be the reverse cover with option B being the main cover.

They should have scrapped the official cover.

Top Bottom