• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feraci: Suicide Squad Reshoots - More Humor and Lightness into the film

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal9001

Banned
Edit:

Maybe bullshit after all

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/31/suicide-squad-reshoots-bode-well-for-the-dc-movieverse

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with an excellent source who told me something surprising: the trailer for Suicide Squad, the one with the Queen song, did not represent the film as it then existed. "Every joke in the movie is in that trailer," this source told me. The enormous positive response to the trailer led to Warner Bros requesting reshoots that would alter the tone of the film, bringing in some more of the lightness to which audiences responded.

I have since spoken to more sources and I understand that the reshoots are happening right now, as recently as this week, and that they're big - tens of millions of dollars big. And they're adding more humor and lightness into the film.

This, to me, is great news. Hearing that WB is aware that they need to inject some fun into these movies - and that's what I'm hearing is happening here, not that they're inserting jokes left and right but that they're beefing up fun character moments and interactions - can only mean good things for the future of the DC Movieverse after the deadly serious, zero fun Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Justice League begins shooting very, very soon - within a couple of weeks - could this attitude find itself a home on the set of the next Zack Snyder movie? Remember, this is the guy who didn't have Superman and Wonder Woman speak one word to each other - will WB mandate more character interactions? Word is that they're being much more involved this time around...

I don't know. I mean I prefer DC sticks with their current approach to be honest. A little more humour wouldn't hurt but I don't want them to ape Marvel to appease the masses. Hopefully they find a right balance.

Ogodei

Something's got to get through DC's collective skull.

It doesn't have to be Marvel, by all means find your own tone, but make sure it has heart.

Dennis

Banned
They are just flailing around now.

hG5o3ta.gif

kswiston

The trailers for Suicide Squad did sell it as having more humor than BvS, so maybe these reshoots are helping the film live up to the audience reactions to the SS trailers (as stated in the article) rather than a knee-jerk reaction to what's happening with BvS.

I'm not going to say SS and JL need to be more like Marvel, but I will say they need to be far less like MoS/BvS so whatever gets us there I'm good with.

Afrodium

Banned
The trailers led me to believe this was already a more lighthearted film with a GotG vibe. If this movie was originally dark and serous then I'm worried the tone of the entire DCCU was miscalculated.

MartyStu

Something's got to get through DC's collective skull.

It doesn't have to be Marvel, by all means find your own tone, but make sure it has heart.

No that is not the issue.

Making sure it is competently written is. It always comes down to this.

BvS fails because it is poorly written and directed.

Sure people take issue with the tone, but that is secondary to what is actually there.

Mass One

I'm going to see BvS today just too see if the anti-hype is real. It can't be that bad.
I actually love when movies take themselves too seriously, it's like a treat.

How can they make a movie about a bunch of villain and not have humor it it. Does WB want the bad guys discuss god and human conditions?

Donos

No that is not the issue.

Making sure it is competently written is. It always comes down to this.

BvS fails because it is poorly written and directed.

Sure people take issue with the tone, but that is secondary to what is actually there.

Yeah, Nolans Batman movies had very little jokes and darker tone but ended up well.

obin_gam

Reshoots are never a good thing :/ I am slightly worried WB are taking Ayer away from making "his" movie...

PSqueak

Banned
Dear goodness, so they saw the trailer with such "great" jokes like Harley joking about voices in her head like an edgy 14 year old who shops at hot topic and the higher ups went like, "Yup, we need more of that in our movie"?

Why, Warner, WHY?!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just a big fucking NO to any Marvel-styled comedy. I wouldn't mind some black comedy tossed in, but this still worries me. I want the Joker to be a mean son of a bitch. Hopefully we don't get up with a Joker who just flat-out cracks lame jokes and doesn't do shit otherwise.

I'm calling bullshit unless we hear that the movie gets pushed back. This is way too last minute for this sort of stuff really, what with movies having such long post production periods these days. Anyway, we heard from the beginning that it was supposed to be a dark comedy. If they're changing it now then someone seriously needs to learn what the word comedy means.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Yeah, Nolans Batman movies had very little jokes and darker tone but ended up well.

Because, as dark and serious as they were, they felt human.

BvS was equivalent of an edgy angsty teenager's definition of darker tone.

hal9001

Banned
Reshoots are never a good thing :/ I am slightly worried WB are taking Ayer away from making "his" movie...

oh oh bad news for Civil War then ;P

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/capt...tain-america-civil-war-extra-filming-underway

As the film heads into the final stages of production, directors Joe and Anthony Russo have re-assembled some members of Captain America: Civil War’s cast to pick up some additional footage for the movie.

The reshoots/pick-up shots are being undertaken in Los Angeles, and so far Chris Evans has been spotted, with scar make-up on his face, leaving the set. Chadwick Boseman, who will be debuting as Black Panther, has also been seen.

Huh, from the trailer, I thought it was already lighthearted.

That's the problem. It wasn't:

"Every joke in the movie is in that trailer," this source told me. The enormous positive response to the trailer led to Warner Bros requesting reshoots that would alter the tone of the film, bringing in some more of the lightness to which audiences responded.

obin_gam

What? Almost every movie nowadas has reshoots.

Pick ups and reshoots arent the same thing.

Almost every movie does pick ups because they notice something dramaturgically missing when editing it togehter.

Reshoots that changes entire storylines (as Faraci mentions SS reshoots are up in "tens of millions") are usually for the worst. A director should have final say, not the producers.

zma1013

It has a human crocodile man fighting alongside a clown girl in skimpy clothing and a guy that "uses rope real gud." It probably should have a comedic slant to the movie.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don't know. I mean I prefer DC sticks with their current approach to be honest. A little more humour wouldn't hurt but I don't want them to ape Marvel to appease the masses. Hopefully they find a right balance.

I mean... I kinda have grown to hate the Marvel movies, but appeasing the masses is all these things are. It's not an art film.

That is false.

I know they sometimes make these big AAA movies more muddled, but PLENTY (see: most) movies you love had reshoots.

Personally, I love when I get the opportunity to do some reshoots after watching an edit. It's only ever made my shit better. I know plenty who feel that way. Sometimes they are hard to get though, because they cost money.

Daemul

10523458.gif

Movie comes out in 4 months, no way they're reshooting shit the tone of the movie has already been set, adding new shit at this late stage which doesn't fit will lead to a clusterfuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom