• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street FIghter V reaches 4k entrants for EVO!!!!!

braves01

Banned
They'll manage it because they have to. This event is where I'm sure they are strict on the rules. You're late? DQ. NO questions asked.

I know, but even matches running long etc. across 4K people could really stress the timelines they've planned for everything. I agree with Teknopathetic above in that I think adding Thursday night be necessary.

Everyone who owns the game applied for it?

dvv1Te9.gif

The Hermit

Not really, save the elation and enthusiasm for a company failing for NPD. It's not necessary in every SFV thread.

I did not realize this was a subject in every SFV thread, I only visit the OT.

Anyway, if I lived in US I would tottaly give my money to Infiltration participate this year's Evo.

This is probably the first game that I play online religiously.

wow, fighting tournaments are smaller than i thought. so almost twice that number looks like a good achievement despite everything that happened.

trust me 2.2k is lot. It's probably bigger than any esports when it comes to entrants. I don't think even biggest esports games like LoL or CS go gets entrants of this magnitude. I could be wrong though i dont watch those.

PMS341

Cannot believe the second poster got banned for an obvious joke. I love SFV, was playing it last night, but the game remains bare-bones and far from perfect. Yikes.

Shadoken

wow, fighting tournaments are smaller than i thought. so almost twice that number looks like a good achievement despite everything that happened.

??? I thought 4K is pretty big for any tournament. Whats the number of entrants like for other events?

trust me 2.2k is lot. It's probably bigger than any esports when it comes to entrants. I don't think even biggest esports games like LoL or CS go gets entrants of this magnitude. I could be wrong though i dont watch those.

I was under the same impression , the other games that are bigger than SF like Lol,CS..etc dont really have any "Open" tournaments that anyone can enter. I believe EVO held the previous record for largest eSport event by participants ( Thought I think that counted all the games it hosted ).

TreIII

Evo is starting to reach the point where 3 days might not be enough.

If EVO is just going to keep upping the ante, they might as well. It's just as much of an advertising showcase for current and upcoming products, as it is a competitive tournament.

And lol at that second post.

I mean is the first post any different from someone who makes a joke based on Vita and Wii U hardware sales (owner of both with over 30 physical games for each)? It felt harmless.

I wonder if it's possible that games with majority Nintendo characters in them get a higher number of entrants total than games with a majority of Capcom fighters in them? SFV may is probably too much on its own.

Sephzilla

EVO this year might be like one of those World Series of Poker tournaments just after the poker popularity explosion - tons of people trying to get in on a gold rush and a lot of nobodies knocking out veterans
who get salty as fuck as a result
. EVO will be great viewing this year

DrArchon

Evo is starting to reach the point where 3 days might not be enough.

Between SFV probably ending up with close to 5k players, both Smashes with around 2k players and Pokken having at least over 1k, I'm thinking you're right. They're gonna need to bust their asses off to get everyone through pools, especially if they plan to have every Smash Wii U player and Pokken player get through in 1-2 days.

Sounds like a nightmare to handle in such a short amount of time.

Baleoce

Oh man, that pools day is going to be killer, both for the TO's, and the people watching stream who keep hearing how "x knocked out y" off-stream. To be expected I guess.

Well Capcom concentrated so much in the hardcore and tournament fans for SFV that id be surprised if SFV wasn't breaking records at EVO. That's what it was made for first and foremost. Too bad that it happened at the cost of leaving casuals like myself behind.

But honestly happy that SFV is indeed thriving with the people it was made for. They worked hard for that success.

Parham

Banned
Good shit. I might have to finally go next year.

Or maybe we realize that our beloved franchise and company is on the verge of bankruptcy. This is their final fantasy - if they fuck this up, it's no more leading fighting game.

It's a scary thing, and comments like that (which are both ignorant and unhelpful) continue to provide a schism between fan base and company.

But w/e man - "it was just a prank bro"

There are many, many factors that influenced SFV's poor sales performance, none of which likely included some offhanded joke on an internet message board.

Damn, some serious salt towards those first few comments. I love the game and recognize how insane of a number that is for entrants, but I would be lying if I said I didn't think of that joke too.

Zackat

Might be time for EVO qualifiers of some sort? That is so many people. If it keeps growing year over year wouldn't they need to do that to keep it on a 3-day weekend format or would they just make it more days?

Seems like it could get interesting in the next few years.

mollipen

Quit tempting me to enter EVO life! 4,000 entrants is a point where there should be enough low-level players that I could potentially eek out a win or two.

Gren

it made me laugh at work, so i enjoyed it.

Anyway, its great to see so many people show up to evo. its great fun if you can actually go and attend.

I'd personally say it depends on how dedicated you are to competing in the game(s) you signed up for. Spectating in person on any day other than grand finals (at least the year I went) was much less enjoyable all around than just streaming from home. Chairs were a luxury that you didn't give up once you got one, lol.

How the hell is Evo going to get the matches done?

Not that I have a problem with this. I look forward to watching everything possible (related to SFV).

Quit tempting me to enter EVO life! 4,000 entrants is a point where there should be enough low-level players that I could potentially eek out a win or two.

there's also a chance your 1st round is against Infiltration or someone b/c theirs no seeding.

but hey it's Las Vegas, play the odds lol

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I've seen some promotion for VF5 tournaments on Facebook. Will it have no presence at all at evo?
there will probably be a side tournament but the vf community is pretty scattered these days. 3 day event in new york in august and a bunch of canadian tournaments. probably a side at final round.

Yeah, people can joke all about SFV.

There'll always be VF and SC players looking on wishing their game was as "dead".

:(

there will probably be a side tournament but the vf community is pretty scattered these days. 3 day event in new york in august and a bunch of canadian tournaments. probably a side at final round.

Well, with no new game in the foreseeable future, it's difficult imagine a different scenario

KingBroly

Banned
How the hell is Evo going to get the matches done?

Not that I have a problem with this. I look forward to watching everything possible (related to SFV).

For SF5, they're doing 24-hour pools. So you have 4am start times for Pools.

EVO needed to go to 4-days last year. They've broken themselves this year.

Glix

eke. I thought you were a writer!

I feel the same way though. I'm pretty awful, but just being able to say I won a match at EVO would be amazing.

I could stop holding on so tightly to the fact I made day 2 at the NWC's back at the Javits center! Lol.

For the people saying there won't be time, you've got to realize that the 2227 man SFIV tourney last evo had pools only on Friday, with top 8(?) on Sunday. I'm betting pools/top64 will be held on Saturday as well this time around.

AAK

There's gonna be a massive amount of wild DS4's running amok. You just know there's gonna be a huge number of people that forget to desync and interrupt matches.

So glad I'm not going to EVO this year. It will be a fuckin shit show and I guarantee you all games that are not SFV will be treated like trash on top of that. Don't feel like wasting $1000 to be shoved in a corner and ignored.

Top Bottom