• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

TunaLover

Hopefully a quick question.. I just want to run dumps of my disks on a USB hard drive, no disk swapping and saving wear and tear on the dvd drive.

Do I just need haxchi and the wup installer?

I'm not really sure about what the purpose of going further and installing redNAND and Mocha.

Does redNAND just allow the running of haxchi from an SD card, so another level of safety and less chance of a brick?

Mocha, still not sure what it's for!
You only need:
  • Haxchi: to have a permanent and reliable way to boot Homebrew Launcher, and boot system menu with signature patches*
  • disk2app: to dump your games in app format
  • Wup installer Y: to install your dumps into digital

*Signature patches allow dump/install games from another region and VC games. To enable sig patches just boot haxchi channel and hold B button on the Gamepad (no other controller is supported ATM), it will get you back to the system menu from now you can boot your games from other region, and VC.

Boney

Banned
By the way, is it possible to inject those Wii VC games that are playable through the Gamepad?
Like say, Tatsunoko?

Marcoos

Those and disc2.app.

Mocha is a CFW.

If you just want to dump and install your physical games to a USB HDD just ignore the redNAND, Mocha and coldboot Haxchi stuff. Once you've dumped and installed all your games you're all done, no need to dabble with any more hacks or ever run Haxchi or Homebrew Channel ever again, your games will run exactly as if you downloaded them from the eShop itself.

You only need:
  • Haxchi: to have a permanent and reliable way to boot Homebrew Launcher, and boot system menu with signature patches*
  • disk2app: to dump your games in app format
  • Wup installer Y: to install your dumps into digital

*Signature patches allow dump/install games from another region and VC games. To enable sig patches just boot haxchi channel and hold B button on the Gamepad (no other controller is supported ATM), it will get you back to the system menu from now you can boot your games from other region, and VC.

Thank you both, that lines up with the logic I had in my head and only need haxchi and the other two tools. But nice to have my mind put at ease and not break my Wii U!

Okay so I haven't turned my wii u on in months, all I want to do is be able to dump my games to my pc for CEMU purposes... Do I need to do anything special? Or can I still use DDD?

Thank you both, that lines up with the logic I had in my head and only need haxchi and the other two tools. But nice to have my mind put at ease and not break my Wii U!

You really won't break your wii u doing the full jail break including CFW and cold boot, in fact imo it makes your wii u even safer. My previous wii u died because its internal memory started going corrupt.

By using redNAND you are essentially completely ignoring the internal memory now and everything runs off your SD card, including the 32 gig "internal memory" which is now actually on your SD card. I backed the whole thing up on my PC, if my SD card ever dies I can just buy a new one and copy it over and running again just fine.

As long as you follow the steps and immediately stop if something doesn't line up with what it says, you won't brick your wii u. I at one point was having problems with haxchi not starting and I thought about just forging ahead, but then read through the previous steps again and figured out I had copied a few files to the wrong place, redoing those steps made everything just fine. Thats really the trickiest part of the thing, the number of files you have to copy to your SD card, move to the wii u, do 1-2 things, bring the SD card back to the PC, delete/copy some new files, over and over and its tempting to "take some shortcuts" but I wouldn't recommend that.

Hey im trying to change the screen layout of a DS game, i basically want to reverse the screen layout where it outputs the top DS screen to the TV and bottom screen to the game.
I've tried reversing the setting in the configuration_cafe file but keep getting a blank white screen which crashes if i press ZR to change screen layout. Anyone can help please?

Marcoos

You really won't break your wii u doing the full jail break including CFW and cold boot, in fact imo it makes your wii u even safer. My previous wii u died because its internal memory started going corrupt.

By using redNAND you are essentially completely ignoring the internal memory now and everything runs off your SD card, including the 32 gig "internal memory" which is now actually on your SD card. I backed the whole thing up on my PC, if my SD card ever dies I can just buy a new one and copy it over and running again just fine.

As long as you follow the steps and immediately stop if something doesn't line up with what it says, you won't brick your wii u. I at one point was having problems with haxchi not starting and I thought about just forging ahead, but then read through the previous steps again and figured out I had copied a few files to the wrong place, redoing those steps made everything just fine. Thats really the trickiest part of the thing, the number of files you have to copy to your SD card, move to the wii u, do 1-2 things, bring the SD card back to the PC, delete/copy some new files, over and over and its tempting to "take some shortcuts" but I wouldn't recommend that.

Thanks for the pointers. I may well bite the bullet and install redNAND/Mocha. As you say the guide is pretty good and long as you follow the steps exactly, shouldn't really have any problems!It would be good to have that extra layer of protection and peace of mind.

Just started ripping my Wii U disc library. Outside of needing two different apps, it really couldn't be any easier or painless. I only wish this could've been developed sooner. I could've saved quite a bit of money (I ended up buying the likes of Hyrule Warriors and Just Dance 4 a second time for convenience. This also would've been handy when I was playing Xenoblade. Still, plenty of other games I can now pick up for cheap on disc that I can install.

Saddly no, Wii injection is pretty tricky and no near as straight forward as replace an ISO/rom.

Man, this is what I'm really waiting for. Hopefully someone eventually find a way.

Guys, has anyone found much of a difference in loading times depending on the HDD being used? Or is the USB itself the bottleneck? I'm wondering what's the best way to improve loading times (if that's even possible)..

Joey Ravn

Banned
I guess I need to read more. Is mocha comparable?

RedNAND is a "virtual" NAND (i.e. the 32GB of internal storage of your Wii U) that simulates the physical chip on your SD, so you can tinker with it without having to worry about bricking.

Now, do you need RedNAND? Absolutely not, unless you're planning on actually tinkering with your Wii U and not just using it for homebrew and games.

Mocha is a CFW that allows you to extend the possibilities of the official Wii U system, for example by implementing certain flags that allow you to install out-of-region games or homebrew to the Home menu.

Do you need Mocha? Well, not really. 90% of end-users will only use the same features that Haxchi provides. The difference is that Haxchi is 1. much faster to boot and 2. can be installed through CBHC (Coldboot Haxchi) to make it boot directly into a signature-patched Home menu. Yes, you can also do this with Mocha, but you'd still be using CBHC and adding some unnecessary seconds to the boot.

IMO, you should just get Haxchi installed and load it manually. Once you're confortable with it, installing Coldboot Haxchi shouldn't be any difficult at all, provided you follow the instructions to the letter.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
^^^
Wait, I use Haxchii, booting it manually when I need to run HB or games installed via wup (Y mod), what do I need to install injected VC games and out of region games?

Btw, if I rip Mario Kart 8 and install it via wup, considering I have both dlc already installed, will the dlc show up? I remember weird tricks to swap some tracks out to put dlc in... what's the situation right now

Are there any ways to use cheats/codes for Zelda U and/or other games?
Something like Ocarina codes on the Wii loaders?

EmiPrime

Btw, if I rip Mario Kart 8 and install it via wup, considering I have both dlc already installed, will the dlc show up? I remember weird tricks to swap some tracks out to put dlc in... what's the situation right now

Yeah as long as it's all on the same storage device. No tricks needed now.

^^^
Wait, I use Haxchii, booting it manually when I need to run HB or games installed via wup (Y mod), what do I need to install injected VC games and out of region games?

I would like to know about injected VC games as well, since I'm still using Loadiine to run them. Is there any way to install them?

What is the best/only? way to get cheats on my wiiu games?

I already know about the browser exploit and have been using it in tandem with a xenoblade x cheat file but have never really understood how to do it with games that don't have a dedicated program made for them.

Mostly want it for those last unlocks in Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors.

Arkanius

Just finished my Wii U Homebrew process yesterday.
Holy shit it's piss easy. Even easier than the Wii

Feels great, did the backup of BoTW with disc2app and then installed with WUP installer.
Going to grab a external HDD and backing up all my games.

Also going to save the BoTW WUD file to PC so I can use with CEMU

ktroopa

Just finished my Wii U Homebrew process yesterday.
Holy shit it's piss easy. Even easier than the Wii

Feels great, did the backup of BoTW with disc2app and then installed with WUP installer.
Going to grab a external HDD and backing up all my games.

Also going to save the BoTW WUD file to PC so I can use with CEMU

Im doing mine right now and had a question about BoTW. Once you backed up the disc and installed to external USB, what happens to the updates for the game? If you no longer use the disc and want to download updates, seeing as the game is now installed on the home menu can you just hit check for updates and they will download and install, or do you need to do it via the wup installer method?

Arkanius

Im doing mine right now and had a question about BoTW. Once you backed up the disc and installed to external USB, what happens to the updates for the game? If you no longer use the disc and want to download updates, seeing as the game is now installed on the home menu can you just hit check for updates and they will download and install, or do you need to do it via the wup installer method?

It acts as a eShop game.
You will get the updates all the same and install them

Young Magus

Hey I created backups of all my wiiu games and installed them via wud2app.

Is there anyway to get the finished app file(s) to work on cemu? All I have now on the hdd are the installable files.

TunaLover

Are there any ways to use cheats/codes for Zelda U and/or other games?
Something like Ocarina codes on the Wii loaders?
What is the best/only? way to get cheats on my wiiu games?

I already know about the browser exploit and have been using it in tandem with a xenoblade x cheat file but have never really understood how to do it with games that don't have a dedicated program made for them.

Mostly want it for those last unlocks in Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors.

Yes, on Wii U side you need TCPGecko, on PC side you can use either Gecko .net or jgecko u.

For some games people has developed what they call 'trainers' they are pre-scripted codes so you don't have to apply manualy.

At difference with Wii, on Wii U the codes are applied over network (tcp).

At first glimpse codes are not very user friendly, but once you get how to use those tools it's easy.

In regards to the retroarch app, is playing off the SD card the only way? Or am I missing something in the menu to copy all the roms on the USB drive?
Also, if I rips my copy of blackops 2 on the USB drive, I shouldn't have any probs playing online?

I would like to know about injected VC games as well, since I'm still using Loadiine to run them. Is there any way to install them?

Unsigned injections use an donor VC game which then has the game you want to run put in instead of the proper rom and if packaged can be installed and run as long as sig checks are patched.

Guys, has anyone found much of a difference in loading times depending on the HDD being used? Or is the USB itself the bottleneck? I'm wondering what's the best way to improve loading times (if that's even possible)..

USB2.0 caps at 480 Mbps , that means you're probably limited by USB2 speed even on a "modern" (2011+) 5400 rpm HDDs (which can hit 800 Mbps) let alone anything fancy.

TunaLover

In regards to the retroarch app, is playing off the SD card the only way? Or am I missing something in the menu to copy all the roms on the USB drive?
Also, if I rips my copy of blackops 2 on the USB drive, I shouldn't have any probs playing online?
To your first question yes you can use an usb storage with RA (must be fat32), HOWEVER you need patch the system menu first, signature patches etc...

To your second question there's no problem when playing online.

Is it possible to control the menu options with a wiiu pro controller in retroarch or gamepad only?
It's possible control the menu with a WUPC just make sure you enable multi controller menu (available since 1.4.0 iirc)

D.Lo

I decided to ditch the USB drive and just run an SD card for vWii CGF Loader, but many games don't work, doh. All GC games do, it's just some Wii games that seem to hang on a black screen. 100% compatibility of my games via USB. All ripped by me in-app.

I decided to ditch the USB drive and just run an SD card for vWii CGF Loader, but many games don't work, doh. All GC games do, it's just some Wii games that seem to hang on a black screen. 100% compatibility of my games via USB. All ripped by me in-app.

Try defragmenting with an SD defragmenter.

I thought you weren't supposed to defrag flash memory?

There are defrafmenters designed for it. Its not a good idea to run a standard defragmenter on flash memory no. You probably don't need them either most of the time (since flash random access is fast) but fragmented ISOs can have funny behaviour on some things.

Zojirushi

Quick question, what SD card size do I need?

I bought a 32GB one because I thought the WiiU supported nothing bigger but in one of the links in the OP they mentioned you need a 64GB one for a black WiiU.

Quick question, what SD card size do I need?

I bought a 32GB one because I thought the WiiU supported nothing bigger but in one of the links in the OP they mentioned you need a 64GB one for a black WiiU.

If you want to do rednand, you need at least 64gb because you're copying the entire 32gb of the Wii U's flash storage the sd card.

Currently I have a 1gb card in and it's fine since I'm doing all my backups via ddd for CEMU. It all depends on what you're planning on doing.

Fun fact: Just finished dumping BotW, all of the videos are stored as audioless mp4 files. Almost spoiled the game because I didn't think they'd actually load.

Can anyone confirm it's approximate file size? I had ddd run twice to make sure all the files dumped, but even with saves it's only 11.5gb which seems a little small.

Zojirushi

If you want to do rednand, you need at least 64gb because you're copying the entire 32gb of the Wii U's flash storage the sd card.

Currently I have a 1gb card in and it's fine since I'm doing all my backups via ddd for CEMU. It all depends on what you're planning on doing.

I'm sorry I haven't really dug through all the info, I kinda just wanna dump my WiiU games for later use with CEMU. Not really planning on doing anything else with it on WiiU.

I'm sorry I haven't really dug through all the info, I kinda just wanna dump my WiiU games for later use with CEMU. Not really planning on doing anything else with it on WiiU.

Then you literally only need an sd card of any size and a pc.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ddd-wiiu-title-dumper.418492/

Download the server software for pc or Mac.

Insert a fat32 enabled sd card.

Load the loadine website on wii u

Choose appstore from the drop down menu

Load appstore when the option appears

In the app store, download the homebrew launcher, and ddd

Reload the browser and loadine website and leave the drop down menu on homebrew launcher

Load ddd

Load the server software on pc or Mac from command shell (titledumper.exe /vol d:insertfoldernamehere)

Enter your pc ip address on the wii u screen

Press X

Load whatever game you want to dump.

Game will look like it's starting, but it's actually dumping the game. Check progress on your pc/mac. Will take hours.

You could also replace ddd with the wud dumper in the app store and use any usb drive with more than 25 gb of free space.

TunaLover

Dump an entire game with ddd is crazyness (though the only 'legal' method to dump digital games mmmh), it's very VERY slow and a random disconnection would happen any time, I only use ddd to swap small files like banners, icons, sounds, etc, I recently injected a new banner to Asdivine Hearts, I didn't like the original, looks dope now :3

Edit: I remember I actually used FTPiiU Everywhere xD, not ddd.

mackaveli

Then you literally only need an sd card of any size and a pc.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ddd-wiiu-title-dumper.418492/

Download the server software for pc or Mac.

Insert a fat32 enabled sd card.

Load the loadine website on wii u

Choose appstore from the drop down menu

Load appstore when the option appears

In the app store, download the homebrew launcher, and ddd

Reload the browser and loadine website and leave the drop down menu on homebrew launcher

Load ddd

Load the server software on pc or Mac from command shell (titledumper.exe /vol d:insertfoldernamehere)

Enter your pc ip address on the wii u screen

Press X

Load whatever game you want to dump.

Game will look like it's starting, but it's actually dumping the game. Check progress on your pc/mac. Will take hours.

You could also replace ddd with the wud dumper in the app store and use any usb drive with more than 25 gb of free space.

You see to be knowledgable. I have a couple of questions maybe you can help me?

1. I just want to play Breath of the Wild. Can I play it from a HDD or it has to be a SD card? I think I only a small SD card and would rather use an external HDD. Is that possible?

2. Can I follow most of your instructions to do what I want to do? or I have to do something diferent?

I've been trying to read guides but as the other poster mentioned the guides always mention having 64gb and what not. I don't want to do that currently I just want a simple solution for Breath of the Wild and then once I am comfortable I will try other things.

Any suggestions or tips?

thanks.

D.Lo

There are defrafmenters designed for it. Its not a good idea to run a standard defragmenter on flash memory no. You probably don't need them either most of the time (since flash random access is fast) but fragmented ISOs can have funny behaviour on some things.
Hmm, I secure formatted but Excite Truck still doesn't work. Other games fine, and the same Excite file works fine on HDD, sigh.

Hmm, I secure formatted but Excite Truck still doesn't work. Other games fine, and the same Excite file works fine on HDD, sigh.

Use an SD to USB adapter, you'll get better compatibility. If it's microsd you can get tiny ones that barely take up any space.

Unsigned injections use an donor VC game which then has the game you want to run put in instead of the proper rom and if packaged can be installed and run as long as sig checks are patched.

Is there an easy way so that a complete idiot like me can do that? lol

Any games other than Excite Truck? I tested some of my games and all except Kirby worked.

Top Bottom